Photo

We value your privacy...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 00:09

That being the case, why is the "deactivate all" button seemingly disabled? 

I reaaaaaaly do not want to be bombarded by all manner of advertising shite from "our partners".

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:33

There’s a similar thread in the Website Feedback forum:

https://forums.autos...apparently-not/

This is probably the best place to continue the discussion, as Grayson from the Autosport tech team has already responded there, whereas I don’t think he ever ventures into TNF. Here’s what he posted in that thread:

If you press the button to get more information, you can refuse all of the optional cookies and press OK.

The notice will then go away (you won't see it again unless you choose to from section 3.2 of the Cookie Policy) and you won't be tracked by any of our advertising partners while you're on the site.

This does mean that you'll see slightly less relevant/personalised adverts while you're on the site, but I'll leave you to decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing!

#3 AJCee

AJCee

• 334 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:43

Deactivate all didn't work...

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:31

As a general answer, I'd suggest logging out, deleting all autosport.com cookies, logging in again and seeing if that fixes it. Equally, you may be seeing adverts injected from another source - your ISP and/or a tracking cookie from elsewhere. Nothing Autosport can do about those.

But as Tim said above, please report any problems with this in the Website Feedback thread - preferably with details of your operating system and browser, which will be useful for the developers.

Although as it's the weekend you should not expect an immediate response. :)

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 14:15

Since this is TNF can I ask why we have to use the US term "cookie" when what we in the UK buy and eat is a biscuit?

Or is that "cookie" as in the 4000lb cookie carried to Berlin during the last war by the DH Mosquito

270px-RAF_Bomber_Command_HU95286.jpg

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 14:31

Since this is TNF can I ask why we have to use the US term "cookie" when what we in the UK buy and eat is a biscuit?

Or is that "cookie" as in the 4000lb cookie carried to Berlin during the last war by the DH Mosquito

https://en.wikipedia...gin_of_the_name :)

#7 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 21:07

A most-valid question.  :lol:

#8 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:58

Because "cookie" is the established technical term for, er, computer cookie. It is as universal as "spam". More unniversal perhaps, there seem to be more cookies than spam now.

#9 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:05

...both being equally annoying...  :mad:

#10 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,646 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:33

Because "cookie" is the established technical term for, er, computer cookie. It is as universal as "spam". More unniversal perhaps, there seem to be more cookies than spam now.

Spam?! You mean that tinned ham stuff? Ham and biscuits? Someone take me by the hand, and gently explain these terms in words of one syllable or less ...

#11 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:20

Spam and cookies.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

#12 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,543 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:24

Spam?! You mean that tinned ham stuff? 

Why would you put pork in a can? Cured ham lasts for years.

#13 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:42

Someone take me by the hand, and gently explain these terms in words of one syllable or less ...

Food.

#14 PeterScandlyn

PeterScandlyn

• 347 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 21:38

'We Value Your Privacy'.....They're kidding of course.

Installed an ad-blocker. Works a treat, but now I just get something along the line 'We notice you have installed an ad blocker. Did you know that if you subscribe to premium you won't have to put up with ads?'.....

Well guess what? It ain't going to happen, I'll just put up with your crap line.  :down:  :down:

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:05

Just how do you delete these 'cookies' anyway?

Without getting any more technical...

#16 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:13

There's a free software utility called "cleanup" which does that. It clears out cookies, all those temporary files on your drive left over from browsing the net, and other stuff.  Some cookies though are useful. I bet this site leaves one or two so it recognises you when you get online.

Edited by Terry Walker, 23 July 2018 - 03:13.

#17 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,093 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:32

You'll have to remember all your passwords if cookies are blown away, so be ready for that.

#18 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:32

Milk.

#19 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:39

That is the problem. you can delete all cookies but then all your stored login short cuts as well as many useful things ALL disapear. Not just one for adds on this site.

And ofcourse every junk website blames cookies, Ebay, Gumtree even the bloody bank. Because there sitres are NOT compatible with the internet, Microsoft and Google!!

Advertisement

#20 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:41

There's a free software utility called "cleanup" which does that. It clears out cookies, all those temporary files on your drive left over from browsing the net, and other stuff.  Some cookies though are useful. I bet this site leaves one or two so it recognises you when you get online.

Not for me in the past, had to go find EVERY login. And the longwinded ones for this site are a major pain.

#21 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 13:22

Growing up during World War 2 I became quite accustomed to Spam but the Cookies that I only saw mentioned in American comic books were an unknown luxury!.

#22 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 16:17

Dear E2, you were supposed to ignore the pictures. It's all about the text. ;-)

#23 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 22:36

Download an utility called CCleaner (yes, with double "c"). Be careful to choose the free version. Once installed you can configure it in a very friendly interface what you want to clean and what you want to preserve. Just tick the boxes of what you want out.The passwords remain, the cookies and temporary files are gone.

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:46

Download an utility called CCleaner (yes, with double "c"). Be careful to choose the free version. Once installed you can configure it in a very friendly interface what you want to clean and what you want to preserve. Just tick the boxes of what you want out.The passwords remain, the cookies and temporary files are gone.

DO NOT - under any circumstances - let CCleaner anywhere near Firefox! It has a habit of interfering with stuff it shouldn't and is infamous for screwing up people's profiles! Firefox is perfectly capable of getting rid of temporary files on its own. And as Terry said, some cookies are useful. All browsers also offer a 'remember passwords' option - those won't be deleted unless you specifically do it yourself. Even better, use a password manager like (for example) Bitwarden, which means you can securely share your passwords across computers and/or browsers.

#25 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 16:58

DO NOT - under any circumstances - let CCleaner anywhere near Firefox! It has a habit of interfering with stuff it shouldn't and is infamous for screwing up people's profiles! Firefox is perfectly capable of getting rid of temporary files on its own. And as Terry said, some cookies are useful. All browsers also offer a 'remember passwords' option - those won't be deleted unless you specifically do it yourself. Even better, use a password manager like (for example) Bitwarden, which means you can securely share your passwords across computers and/or browsers.

If you say so, Richard, I have no reason to doubt it. My experience is however different. I've been using it for years both with Firefox and Chrome without any problem whatsoever. Of course no program is perfect and I use another one to complement CCleaner and really get rid of all the filth that accumulates every time we are connected. Same for the browsers, they can help in deleting unwanted files but not all of them, though.

#26 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:44

I'm partial to Spam on a muffin...….. :smoking:

#27 Eastern

Eastern

• 4,638 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:33

In recent days, well weeks, I have become infuriated by advertising practices which I found merely irritating before. Among other things, is the recent trend of websites denying access to people using ad blockers. I totally understand that small bloggers and so on really do need their advertising revenue to stay alive, and if they ask politely, and if they don't abuse my tolerance by spamming me to death with ads, then I am happy to comply.

But when the Daily Mail blocks me, I simply shrug my shoulders and go elsewhere to read the news. Their loss not mine. And I justify my position with the knowledge that most of these big corporate sites are abusing me: they steal my bandwidth loading interminable ad add-ons, and worse than that, they load my computer with cross-site tracking cookies and scripts. The  advertising industry tries to sooth my fears by stating that they "take my privacy seriously", and their tracking cookies are devised to "enhance your internet experience" but load my computer with what is effectively spyware. In worse case scenarios their own cyber-security is defective and I end up having my payment card used to book hotels and restaurants and go on shopping sprees in California while I am sleeping the sleep of the innocent on the other side of the world.

I really don't know how to push back against this, other than to chuck my computer, smart phone and modem into the Nile.

As I write this, I note that I have blocked 28 tracking cookies from the Daily Mail in the space of 2 minutes; whereas I have blocked only 2 such cookies from autosport.com. I don't know why autosport should put even such a modest amount onto my computer: does it think that facebook and googleads need to know that I waste so much of my time on this forum? Especially since it is perfectly happy to add automatic annual payment of my subscription to its revenue stream...

Edited by Eastern, 03 December 2019 - 06:35.

#28 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:11

You go to the Daily Mail looking for news?

#29 Eastern

Eastern

• 4,638 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:48

You go to the Daily Mail looking for news?

Of course not: I just love collecting tracking cookies and malware, and the DM seems a good place to start.

#30 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,056 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 14:25

I use Firefox browser with no add-ons or plug-ins, and it blocks ads without a separate ad blocker. I also have it set to delete history on exit, so it clears out the cookies every time I come out of Firefox.

For the annoying sites which blank me out for blocking ads, I just use Microsoft Edge as browser. Only of course, for those I really want to read, such as the New York Times. As for the Daily Mail, shouldn't our browsers be set to block it, rather than the other way round?

#31 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 15:17

I use Firefox browser with no add-ons or plug-ins, and it blocks ads without a separate ad blocker. I also have it set to delete history on exit, so it clears out the cookies every time I come out of Firefox.

For the annoying sites which blank me out for blocking ads, I just use Microsoft Edge as browser. Only of course, for those I really want to read, such as the New York Times. As for the Daily Mail, shouldn't our browsers be set to block it, rather than the other way round?

I think you'll find your problem with the NYT is to do with hitting its paywall limit, not ads. There are some working Firefox extensions on github (removed from Firefox's site, presumably after complaints!) which can deal with that. Look for Anti-paywall or Bypass Paywalls Firefox. Both work on the NYT site. You will need to know how to manually install an extension though.

And no - they don't work on Autosport! :p

#32 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 20:08

Very nice to see you here, Eastern.  :up:  :wave:  :up:

#33 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 23:40

Spam?! You mean that tinned ham stuff? Ham and biscuits? Someone take me by the hand, and gently explain these terms in words of one syllable or less ...

Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

#34 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 00:18

You must be a lumberjack or something.  :lol:

#35 Eastern

Eastern

• 4,638 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:51

Very nice to see you here, Eastern.  :up:  :wave:  :up:

Thank you very much E1pix, you make me blush!  :blush: 

Probably I have reached an age where nostalgia is more appropriate than the febrile atmosphere of the PC....

#36 Eastern

Eastern

• 4,638 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:59

I have discovered a browser called "Brave". 

It allows me to read the Daily Mail for the news rather than for the spyware   ;)  

It also catalogues exactly how many, and the identity of, tracking cookies that websites try to put on your computer. The record so far is Facebook in a 30 minute session, with 193 of them, comprising 139,097 characters, and 1,718 lines of script.

#37 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,056 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:06

And for the wicked that visit these places there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth: Hell, Facebook and The Daily Mail.

#38 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 23:44

I try to be good every day, lest I end up forever frying in Facebook.