Photo

Did anyone go to the Gunnar Nilsson Trophy at Donington in 1979?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 21:38

Doing some picture research here. I have 35mm slides from the meeting. Now every report I have seen has Rupert Keegan in an Arrows A6 in Penthouse livery. The photos I have him show him in a normal Warsteiner car...can anyone help??

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 22:31

From memory, wasn't he supposed to drive one of the BS Fab Aurora AFX cars, but crashed it the weekend before, so Arrows lend one of its works cars which were becoming surplus to requirements anyway with the A2 ready to make its debut? However, I don't think the Aurora AFX cars were Penthouse-sponsored either; weren't they plain white??

#3 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:27

But Gary, there must be some kind of misunderstanding. On the one hand, as you rightly say, the images available of Keegan there show a A1B in Warsteiner colours. 

But I am lost on your original sentence : who is "every" in "every report I have seen has Rupert Keegan in an Arrows A6 in Penthouse livery"?
And an Arrows A6? In 1979? 

The Clowes Investement livery (white) comes to mind -on an A1 but Penthouse?

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:30

Keegan did crash his regular Aurora chassis (A1/02) at Thruxton the previous weekend, but that’s not the reason it wasn’t used at Donington. There was another Aurora round at Zandvoort on the same weekend as the Donington event, with practice on Friday and Saturday and the race on the Whit Monday. Thus Rupert was able to pop over to Donington on the Sunday, where he drove Patrese’s regular chassis A1/06, still in Warsteiner colours. There’s a photo showing this in the Motoring News report.

Keegan’s Aurora car was indeed predominantly white all year. At this stage of the season it carried only Charles Clowes and British Air Ferries sponsorship. At the Oulton Park round in April it had also been sponsored by Walt Disney (!) and later on in the year it did carry additional Penthouse/Rizla backing.

#5 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:36

Arrows A6 was an '83 car. SuperRupe was indeed in a works A1B at the Donny event. And slowest as I recall...

#6 GazChed

GazChed

• 698 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:49

If my memory serves me right , Keegan was sponsored by Disney to promote their film 'The Black Hole' .

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 16:43

OK, excellent lads. I think I can then discount the reports that Keegan ran a car in Penthouse colours....so there's nothing sinister (i.e. wrong meeting) about the images I have.  Thank you all!

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:11

Further confirmation:

http://media.gettyim...86216?s=594x594

#9 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 13:52

Thank you for starting the thread. I am researching for a book about Gunnar and have spoken to several people behind the campaign. There are several videos on YouTube.

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:45

......I'm currently designing & writing my first picture book and there will be around 10 pictures taken that day at Donington in it.

#11 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 18:26

If you'd like a second set of eyes I'd love a look.

Doing it in InDesign?

#12 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:56

I'm actually employing a designer to it for me, in the long run it'll be better and a damn sight quicker too.  This first book will be 1960s and 1970s only, I'll be picking images from my collection.

#13 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 13:52

E1pix - I think your message box might be full...

#14 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 16:11

Didn't get to Donington but I was a medical student at CXH when Gunnar was being treated under Dr Norman Howard in particular.  Awful circumstances, but as an ardent F1 fan it was interesting spotting the great and the good of F1 pass through the front foyer. The ward/clinical staff were generally very impressed by the grace and humility of the visiting motorsport fraternity although there were one or two exceptions..

However, to another point. After Gunnar's death I was making one of my regular visits to a local garage in Fulham Palace Road to pick up my repaired Hillman Imp Sport (usual problem, head gasket...) only to find the Grimp sharing workshop space with an F1 Lotus - from memory it had the old brush skirts so presumably a late 77 rather than a 78.  It transpired that the car was being stored there prior to promoting the soon-to-be-launched Nilsson Cancer Trust. What I can't recall is whether the car ended up as a static display at the launch or whether the DFV was fired up/ran in the midst of Hammersmith. Anyone know ??

#15 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 17:23

Yes, it was definitely fired up in tribute to Gunnar. It would be nice to think it was run down the Fulham Palace Road too!

#16 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 18:03

Yes, it was definitely fired up in tribute to Gunnar. It would be nice to think it was run down the Fulham Palace Road too!

Yes that does sound good, unlikely that it beat the unofficial f.t.d. down to Putney Bridge set by myself one night in my Imp though....

Incidentally vague memory and a bit of guess work would suggest that the Lotus was chassis 77/1 which would have been in the hands of David Render by then.

#17 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 14:45

That's a remarkable anecdote Moffspeed. I've just personally messaged you.

#18 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:33

I  am one of administers of a group in honour of Gunnar on Facebook. A kind gentleman Gareth Bouch has a video of the Memorial Trophy and he can be approached for copies.

#19 Weaverbird

Weaverbird

• 35 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:35

Inside my copy of 'The Viking Drivers' by Freddie Petersens, I have a programme 'The Gunnar Nilsson Film Show 1979'  Lucky Draw Programme 50p (Organised by the British Motor Racing Marshal's (sic) Club.  It was in aid of the Gunnar Nilsson Cancer Treatment Campaign  (a few of us girls used to collect for this and the Royal Marsden) My flatmate and I visited him in hospital a few weeks before he died.  Awful loss to everyone, particularly to Mario Andretti.

Advertisement

#20 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:47

....and in case anyone missed it, my pictures of the event are inside Volume 1 of this www.shutterandspeed.com

#21 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 16:42

Inside my copy of 'The Viking Drivers' by Freddie Petersens, I have a programme 'The Gunnar Nilsson Film Show 1979'  Lucky Draw Programme 50p (Organised by the British Motor Racing Marshal's (sic) Club.  It was in aid of the Gunnar Nilsson Cancer Treatment Campaign  (a few of us girls used to collect for this and the Royal Marsden) My flatmate and I visited him in hospital a few weeks before he died.  Awful loss to everyone, particularly to Mario Andretti.

You can PM me if you like. I'm working on a book about Gunnar and his campaign. A great legacy it is.

Edited by sstiel, 13 April 2021 - 16:43.

#22 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 18:19

Did Gunnar have any links with the music industry? I remember being intrigued back in the day when the rock band Whitesnake held a one-off concert at the Hammersmith Apollo as a fundraiser. And there was another event at Silverstone in January 1979, the Gunnar Nilsson Endurance Drive, which was attended by various other music luminaries, including George Harrison who of course was a bit of a motor racing fan.

#23 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:23

Did Gunnar have any links with the music industry? I remember being intrigued back in the day when the rock band Whitesnake held a one-off concert at the Hammersmith Apollo as a fundraiser. And there was another event at Silverstone in January 1979, the Gunnar Nilsson Endurance Drive, which was attended by various other music luminaries, including George Harrison who of course was a bit of a motor racing fan.

George knew Gunnar. However, Whitesnake offered the concert.

#24 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 00:38

I went to the Whitesnake gig.