Sebastian Vettel vs Kimi Raikkonen 2018 -- part 2

• Please log in to reply
2188 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 15:51

Continue comparing and contrasting this year's Ferrari drivers here.

Advertisement

#2 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 15:55

For the one wondering why they didn’t pit Räikkönen during Vandoorne SC for US, Räikkönen didn’t have new US, IIRC

#3 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 15:55

For the one wondering why they didn’t pit Räikkönen during Vandoorne SC for US, Räikkönen didn’t have new US, IIRC

He had Ultras that did only just a slow outlap, they were pretty new.

#4 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 15:57

Why did Kimi lift? Was he negotiating some debris on the track from Bottas-Vettel incident?

#5 barzini

barzini

• 2,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 15:59

Why did Kimi lift? Was he negotiating some debris on the track from Bottas-Vettel incident?

He lifted because otherwise he would've taken Seb's P2 which was Ferrari's priority accordig to Ted when he asked them what if Kimi catches Bottas-train.

#6 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:00

Well... I'll whisper it quietly.

The winner of the Hungarian Grand Prix hasn't gone on to win the championship for the last 13 years so surely it's Seb's year.  :D 

Seriously though. Ferrari should be happy that they have the fastest car, good tyre wear etc. and they can be very quick on all kinds of tracks (unlike last year)

Mistakes from Vettel have meant that he isn't leading the championship so as long as he can execute then a 5th title might be coming his way. 

Go on Seb, do it for Marchionne!  :up: 

#7 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Because he clearly didnt want to pass Vettel...Imagine the sh*t storm on the radio had he not lifted

#8 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Why do u think? He wasn't allowed to overtake or try to overtake Vettel.

#9 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:02

Just realized that this is now Kimi's longest podium streak since the end of 2007 (7 podiums in row)

https://en.wikipedia.../Kimi_Räikkönen

And he now has more podiums than last season and most since 2013 with Lotus (8). Quite potentially and likely has the chance to break his own record of podiums in season, which is 12, also from 2007

With this kind of consistency from him Ferrari could atleast win the WCC, unless they somehow still manage to screw that one up as well.

Edited by Balnazzard, 29 July 2018 - 16:05.

#10 barzini

barzini

• 2,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:05

It would too good to be true if Kimi wins the next race.
Win that will put him above Häkkinen in total wins, in Spa and it would be the 100th podium of his career.

#11 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,380 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:05

Just realized that this is now Kimi's longest podium streak since the end of 2007 (7 podiums in row)

https://en.wikipedia.../Kimi_Räikkönen

And he now has more podiums than last season and most since 2013 with Lotus (8). Quite potentially and likely has the chance to break his own record of podiums in season, which is 12, also from 2007

If I were a Kimi fan, I'd wouldn't care about podiums. I'd want a win before retirement.

#12 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:06

If I were a Kimi fan, I'd wouldn't care about podiums. I'd want a win before retirement.

Ofcourse I want that and I want it ASAP, hopefully finally in Spa.....100th career podium and win on his favorite track with most wins, wouldnt that be something....

Just wanted to point out some statistics thats all  :D

Edited by Balnazzard, 29 July 2018 - 16:07.

#13 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,559 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:08

Why do u think? He wasn't allowed to overtake or try to overtake Vettel.

If Seb didn't endure those additional 2 seconds on his pit stop this would not even be an serious question.

#14 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,387 posts

Well... I'll whisper it quietly.

The winner of the Hungarian Grand Prix hasn't gone on to win the championship for the last 13 years so surely it's Seb's year. :D

Seriously though. Ferrari should be happy that they have the fastest car, good tyre wear etc. and they can be very quick on all kinds of tracks (unlike last year)

Mistakes from Vettel have meant that he isn't leading the championship so as long as he can execute then a 5th title might be coming his way.

Go on Seb, do it for Marchionne! :up:

Really hope the curse holds on

#15 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

It would too good to be true if Kimi wins the next race.
Win that will put him above Häkkinen in total wins, in Spa and it would be the 100th podium of his career.

Well chances won't get any better. Fast car, probably new PU, strong track. Needs just a little luck and not too much involvement from the pit wall.

#16 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:09

Podiums are still nice. Yea win is wanted but he won't retire yet, will the win come? I hope so but we can only wait.

#17 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:10

Well chances won't get any better. Fast car, probably new PU, strong track. Needs just a little luck and not too much involvement from the pit wall.

Heck considering how well the car and Kimi did on wet yesterday, it might even rain in Spa and Kimi might still do well...

But ye, hopefully it would finally happen on his favorite track of all places.

#18 MurMur80

MurMur80

• 709 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:10

Well if they are running 1-2 and Kimi is ahead you know what Ferrari will do. 

#19 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:11

If Seb didn't endure those additional 2 seconds on his pit stop this would not even be an serious question.

Yes. Had they not pitted Kimi lap before to make room for him, he could have been even behind Kimi at that point.

Advertisement

#20 barzini

barzini

• 2,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:12

Heck considering how well the car and Kimi did on wet yesterday, it might even rain in Spa and Kimi might still do well...

But ye, hopefully it would finally happen on his favorite track of all places.

I'm actually hoping for the rain in qualy. In order to win, Kimi has to have cars between himself and Vettel. In the dry I don't see Vettel being two cars behind.

#21 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:16

I'm actually hoping for the rain in qualy. In order to win, Kimi has to have cars between himself and Vettel. In the dry I don't see Vettel being two cars behind.

Well that is true....hard to see Ferrari doing what they did in Austria anymore with only 9 races left.....so ye its definitely not all in Kimi's hands in regards of that win, he definitely needs some luck/some other car between him and Seb....Shame how it is, but lets hope that first of all Kimi is atleast able to put himself in that position where he would win the race with or without any team orders involved.

People here know fully well that I dont much care about Sebastian's championship chances, I just want to see Kimi winning atleast 1 race this season and the more behind Seb drops in WDC fight, the better chance for Kimi that would be in regards of not getting team-orders during the rest of the season.

Edited by Balnazzard, 29 July 2018 - 16:19.

#22 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:18

Because Kimi simply isn't as brave a driver as he used to be. You can tell just by the astonishing stat that he hasn't gained a place on the opening lap in almost 3 years. He is not a driver with a killer instinct and you need to be ruthless if you want to be successful in F1.

#23 Perfection

Perfection

• 661 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:24

hahaa luck and Kimi, yep good joke  :)

#24 Perfection

Perfection

• 661 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:28

It is really really unlikely that if ever Kimi finds himself in a position to win, he will give up on it due to team orders, nor will the team ask him to do. The man has been waiting for it for 5 years now. No way team will wan t him to move over.

#25 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:31

I didn't pay attention to Kimi in the last few years, but he really seems to be enjoying himself these past few weeks.

Hopefully he gets another year to show us what he can do.

#26 CL16

CL16

• 1,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:33

I didn't pay attention to Kimi in the last few years, but he really seems to be enjoying himself these past few weeks.

Hopefully he gets another year to show us what he can do.

Having Robin about seems to have put into perspective what’s really important in life, racing is just a bit of fun for him.

#27 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:34

Man I hope we see this cutie follow on his father's footsteps in the future......Robin Räikkönen WDC 2035!

Edited by Balnazzard, 29 July 2018 - 16:34.

#28 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:35

Kimi taking his role well. No respect for him anymore, despite the fact he used to be my favourite driver. Time to head to retirement. 

Letting vettel past once and then not overtaking him. 

Ferrari's strategy for him was like always - well-designed to make sure vettel ends in front. 

#29 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,823 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:35

Kimi was the wingman once again.

Since Seb couldn't get pass Bottas, they pitted Kimi early to force Merc to pit their wingman.  :cat:

#30 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:36

Having Robin about seems to have put into perspective what’s really important in life, racing is just a bit of fun for him.

Seems to be making the most of it though. There's a real sense of pride in his driving. I think he enjoys the 2-stoppers as well, so he can push all race.

#31 boillot

boillot

• 767 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:44

Kimi was actually the better driver today, but for lap 1.
Let’s see how will it pan out in Spa.

#32 abc

abc

• 2,878 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:47

Sorry didnt look like Kimi let Vettel after Bottas, Vettel was ahead and had inside.

#33 abc

abc

• 2,878 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:48

Kimi was actually the better driver today, but for lap 1.
Let’s see how will it pan out in Spa.

Start decided outcome, Vettel was super quick today, dont be mistaken

#34 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,374 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:50

Cant wait for spa

#35 boillot

boillot

• 767 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 16:59

Considering that Kimi seems to be very much at one with the car, Spa will help me test my theory (that it is not an especially good track for him but that success in the past was largely incidental). Hungary is one of his strongest tracks and he was indeed very good here, could have won with better luck.

#36 barzini

barzini

• 2,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:01

Considering that Kimi seems to be very much at one with the car, Spa will help me test my theory (that it is not an especially good track for him but that success in the past was largely incidental). Hungary is one of his strongest tracks and he was indeed very good here, could have won with better luck.

Can you share some of the key points in your theory with us?

#37 otakukim

otakukim

• 100 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:01

Kimi taking his role well. No respect for him anymore, despite the fact he used to be my favourite driver. Time to head to retirement.
Letting vettel past once and then not overtaking him.
Ferrari's strategy for him was like always - well-designed to make sure vettel ends in front.

Vettel passed him on lap one and he had softer tires?

#38 Sid04

Sid04

• 1,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:02

Great from Kimi..He is not winning because of circumstances but, also because of first lap bravery and threading the needle in qualifying. But, His stats speaks for themselves. 99 podiums  :clap:  and entertaining Fans for almost 2 decades with his drives, clean overtakes, radio, press confrences and being one of the most popular drivers on the grid..He is for sure gonna be missed whenever he retires..

#39 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:03

It doesn't get much less incidential than a win from P10 (2004) or P6 (2009) it what surely wasn't the fastest car on raceday. But it's true that he didn't really have an edge compared to Seb these last years.

Edited by Jovanotti, 29 July 2018 - 17:05.

Advertisement

#40 Sid04

Sid04

• 1,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:06

I remember watching the spa race in his mclaren days and commentators were saying that he was consistently about 10 kmph faster than other drivers at Pouhon, Spa suits kimi's pin point driving style of carrying speed through long corners but, i would agree with he is probably even stronger at hungry. I think Silverstone, spa and Hungary are his best tracks inlcuding Bahrain these days. But, in general he does well on all old school tracks.

#41 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:14

BTW,who got the fastest lap? Couldn t see the Race.

Edited by Taxi, 29 July 2018 - 17:15.

#42 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,374 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:18

Ric 1.20.015
Seb 1.20.056
Kimi 1.20.292
Lewis 1.21.107

#43 boillot

boillot

• 767 posts

Yes on PM, I think it’s inappropriate to start this kind of controversial discussion here.

Edit: PM sent.

Edited by boillot, 29 July 2018 - 18:06.

#44 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Ricciardo, he was the last of the top 5 drivers to do his pitstop

#45 Raikkonen

Raikkonen

• 259 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:19

Because Kimi simply isn't as brave a driver as he used to be. You can tell just by the astonishing stat that he hasn't gained a place on the opening lap in almost 3 years. He is not a driver with a killer instinct and you need to be ruthless if you want to be successful in F1.

Do you honestly believe that?

Don't you think the car next to him being his teammate who is leading him in the championship plays a huge part in that scenario?

#46 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:22

Do you honestly believe that?

Don't you think the car next to him being his teammate who is leading him in the championship plays a huge part in that scenario?

No, I think Lewis or Seb in that scenario would go for it.

I think Raikonnen saw the contact and expected Seb to get damage and possible lose control of the car so he backed off cautiously. He's too timid.

#47 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:23

I would like to see that too

#48 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:26

Kimi is the fastest in Pouhoun. I remember reading even last year that everytime they got out on track, Kimi was faster through there than Seb. Every single time. 

But his problem there was qualy mistake which was a massive let down as I was also attending there. But Kimi also ruins his tyres faster than Seb. His racepace was abysmal.

#49 Raikkonen

Raikkonen

• 259 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:27

Today's race proves that Vettel also has problems overtaking this year, and that it's hard to determine the faster driver when one spends the race behind a slower car and lapping backmarkers.

Kimi looked quicker but i don't think that was case today, hard to say on days like this.

#50 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 17:29

They should put Kimi on 2 stops more frequently! He was damn fast today!