Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Formula E Season 5 [2018/2019]: Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
1647 replies to this topic

Poll: Formula E Season 5 [2018/2019]: Official Thread (95 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you looking forward the most for S5?

1. New cars, proper speed! (64 votes [67.37%])

Percentage of vote: 67.37%

2. Felipe Massa's electric debut (8 votes [8.42%])

Percentage of vote: 8.42%

3. Boost Mode in action (1 votes [1.05%])

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

4. An underdog's win (5 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. New drivers, more cars (17 votes [17.89%])

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1151 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,389 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 23:03

Wasn't a fan of the location of the Attack mode activation in Hong Kong, but didn't seem like there was anywhere else really to put it. I preferred the zone in Marrakech and Mexico, so glad to see Sanya will be more like them. 

I've been flying the flag for Formula E for a while now trying to get my dad and others to watch it, even getting my toddler to say "Ready Steady Go" at the start. He's at the point where he gets excited and says "racing cars!!" when I put FE on, and my dad is coming round to it after sitting through Marrakech and Mexico. Successful so far... I think.

Was a bit underwhelmed by Hong Kong, but hoping for a bit better in Sanya and for the Mahindras to come back strong.

Hello from me as well! Always nice to have new names about these pages.

Also fills me with hope and joy to hear of you toddler being exited by the sight of FE cars :)

I'm cautiously optimistic about Sanya, looks very much like a Marrakesh kind of deal on the circuit design so here's hoping.

Edited by Vielleicht, 19 March 2019 - 23:04.

Advertisement

#1152 SKL

SKL

• 1,029 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:20

I'm sorry-  I've really tried to watch, but the sound is like fingernails on a chalk board.  As a long time Porsche driver (and fan)  I've tried to get interested since they're headed there next year.   After a lap or two, it is off to Netflix for anything.   I'd rather watch a shifterkart race on Velocity  (or whatever they call it now)....

If this is the future of motorsports,   I'm glad I'm in the "senior" group  who started watching F1, etc back in the mid to late 60's.

#1153 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:25

I'm sorry- I've really tried to watch, but the sound is like fingernails on a chalk board. As a long time Porsche driver (and fan) I've tried to get interested since they're headed there next year. After a lap or two, it is off to Netflix for anything. I'd rather watch a shifterkart race on Velocity (or whatever they call it now)....
If this is the future of motorsports, I'm glad I'm in the "senior" group who started watching F1, etc back in the mid to late 60's.

Generally don’t think 2 laps is enough to get into any series. But hey, it’s your call.

Personally, I feel lucky to be able to witness the birth of mainstream EV racing in real time. This kind of thing doesn’t happen often.

#1154 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:40

Nissan might be doing some interesting things with its gearbox (Epicyclic gear arrangement and maybe flywheel mimicking features)
https://e-racing365....san-powertrain/

“Another area which may also have been looked into is aspects of the powertrain that may mimic a flywheel type device which could store and distribute energy.

Energy stored outside the RESS is prohibited in the rules. Additionally, any additional power coming via stored energy cannot, by regulation, go through or back through the power sensor from the supplied RESS.

It can also not be counted in the 52 kWh of usable energy or the power range of 200, 225 or 250 kW limits.”

This has me very curious. I want to know more.

#1155 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,389 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:29

So, going into the European leg of the season, the standings look like this:

Antonio Felix da Costa (62)

Jérôme d'Ambrosio (61)

Jean-Eric Vergne (54)

Sam Bird (54)

Lucas di Grassi (52)

Mortara (52)

Envision Virgin (97)

Mahindra (97)

Audi Sport (96)

DS Techeetah (95)

10 points covers the top six drivers and 3 points covers the top four teams :eek:

#1156 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,389 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:34

From the race Thread:

Sam Smith's Sanya Post-race Notebook
https://e-racing365....-race-notebook/

***The potential for the ABB FIA Formula E Championship to become an officially recognized World Championship is believed to have got a step closer recently, according to e-racing365 sources.

***A possible formal application to become a World Championship could be submitted in early 2020 with the all-electric series potentially changing its moniker to a World Championship in time for Season Seven in 2021-22.

#1157 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:46

-Six Rounds

-Six Different Pole Sitters

-Six Different Race Winners

-Six Different Winning Teams

Name another series that has done this.   ;)

#1158 BRG

BRG

• 16,958 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 17:13

-Six Rounds

-Six Different Pole Sitters

-Six Different Race Winners

-Six Different Winning Teams

Name another series that has done this.   ;)

The 2018 BTCC (allowing for some organisational differences) did all that and more.

#1159 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,520 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 17:51

The 2018 BTCC (allowing for some organisational differences) did all that and more.

6 races (2 weekends) and there were 5 different winners and 4 different winning teams. In 6 qualifyings there were 5 different pole winners. So no.

I can’t wait for Hybrid/Electric BTCC. It’s coming in due course.

Advertisement

#1160 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,389 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 17:56

I can’t wait for Hybrid/Electric BTCC. It’s coming in due course.

Oi. Cheeky and unconsructive.... but also I do kind of agree.

#1161 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 20:33

I love BTCC, and that is crazier than FE but even I don't think is has produced 6 different winning teams from 6 consecutive races.

Not that I can think of. (watch this season's BTCC produce 30 winners from 30 races)  :lol:

#1162 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,520 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 23:10

***The potential for the ABB FIA Formula E Championship to become an officially recognized World Championship is believed to have got a step closer recently, according to e-racing365 sources.
***A possible formal application to become a World Championship could be submitted in early 2020 with the all-electric series potentially changing its moniker to a World Championship in time for Season Seven in 2021-22.

I think it’s about time really!

#1163 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,520 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 23:12

Oi. Cheeky and unconsructive.... but also I do kind of agree.

I mean I speak from the heart with genuine feeling on that one. I’m not massively interested in BTCC but hybrid rules might get me more interested and converting to EVs when the time is right would probably get me watching a lot more often.

#1164 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 23:31

Hmmm, the last 2 races just didn't do it for me. I used to be a lot more enthusiastic about FE in the past. Despite all the improvements on the technical side, personally I don't find the races exciting anymore. A lot of "full-course yellow", safety cars, red flags, but very little action on track. And now we had an attack mode that nobody even wanted to use anymore.

I hope it's just a temporary thing and I'm too much under the influence of the last 2.

#1165 Cornholio

Cornholio

• 513 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 00:04

After catching up on the first few races, my main issue with the "attack mode" thing is the fact that its use is mandatory. And therefore seems to add as much strategic variation and intrigue as F1's two compound rule. By all means have it and let people use it if it's beneficial (although I'd find it much more interesting if it gave an actual physical advantage, like some sort of remote charging surface, if i was to give the benefit of the doubt maybe this is a PoC for future?) but when it reaches the point of people using it under the Show Car to get rid of it, or being penalised for not using it a prescribed number of times, it suddenly becomes much less interesting.

#1166 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:35

Wasn't overly fussed on the Sanya EPrix to be honest, I woke up and watched it in bed (albeit with my cat thinking that was his cue to demand attention) but found myself a bit bored for once. I fell asleep and missed the overtake for the lead. Watched the highlights and was a bit disappointed. I think the start of the year has set my expectations a little too high, spoiled me a bit.

Was rooting for Rowland, followed him since he was sniffing at GP2, like the guy. 2nd place is a good showing for him, tough to keep someone like Vergne behind!

#1167 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:49

Anyone followed the Twitter beef enveloping di Grassi and... well, from what I could tell, everyone else, really?

While I cannot stand the man and his pathological need to cry wolf on social media, he and da Costa do have a bit of a point about the fairness of penalties. But that is the general pitfall of a rather rigid system with little flexibility. (Although it has to be said that Buemi really did get extraordinarily lucky in that he was able to finish the race at all.)

#1168 Lights

Lights

• 16,679 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:57

Hmmm, the last 2 races just didn't do it for me. I used to be a lot more enthusiastic about FE in the past. Despite all the improvements on the technical side, personally I don't find the races exciting anymore. A lot of "full-course yellow", safety cars, red flags, but very little action on track. And now we had an attack mode that nobody even wanted to use anymore.

I hope it's just a temporary thing and I'm too much under the influence of the last 2.

Same here. Last races haven't been great.

I still feel like there's a lot of potential but recently it's been a letdown thanks to a combination of poor circuits, poor organisation/directing, and other stuff like 'attack mode' ridiculousness.

I don't care if there's 40 different winners in 40 races. I want to see great racing and I'm sure FE wants that too, but it's not happening right now.

#1169 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,708 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:10

Anyone followed the Twitter beef enveloping di Grassi and... well, from what I could tell, everyone else, really?

While I cannot stand the man and his pathological need to cry wolf on social media, he and da Costa do have a bit of a point about the fairness of penalties. But that is the general pitfall of a rather rigid system with little flexibility. (Although it has to be said that Buemi really did get extraordinarily lucky in that he was able to finish the race at all.)

Funny it would be di Grassi complaining after PLOWING into his (co-incidentally, I am sure) title rival in the season finale just a couple of years ago himself.  

Anyways, silly to blame Frijns for getting punted by Buemi.  Di Grassi is a fine driver, but I cheer every time things don't go his way.  He's just an ass.

Edited by maximilian, 25 March 2019 - 12:10.

#1170 Shuffle

Shuffle

• 135 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:22

Same here. Last races haven't been great.

I still feel like there's a lot of potential but recently it's been a letdown thanks to a combination of poor circuits, poor organisation/directing, and other stuff like 'attack mode' ridiculousness.

I don't care if there's 40 different winners in 40 races. I want to see great racing and I'm sure FE wants that too, but it's not happening right now.

Could not agree more with this.

#1171 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:38

Funny it would be di Grassi complaining after PLOWING into his (co-incidentally, I am sure) title rival in the season finale just a couple of years ago himself.  

Anyways, silly to blame Frijns for getting punted by Buemi.  Di Grassi is a fine driver, but I cheer every time things don't go his way.  He's just an ass.

Did he really blame Frijns? Does he do his tweeting before watching replays or does he have someone to do such on his behalf?

#1172 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,074 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:40

I rather enjoyed Hong Kong, there was a tenseness in the fight between Lotterer and Bird that made it gripping all the way through. That wasn't there in Sanya, and I couldnt tell you why it was missing.

#1173 RSRally

RSRally

• 987 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 16:22

I rather enjoyed Hong Kong, there was a tenseness in the fight between Lotterer and Bird that made it gripping all the way through. That wasn't there in Sanya, and I couldnt tell you why it was missing.

Energy saving?

Just thinking the two long straights might have made teams cautious with their energy usage, and reluctant to race too hard, especially early on.

They also need to fix the attack-zone-activation-under-safety-car thing asap, otherwise we're gonna end up with everybody waiting for a fcy or safety car each race.

#1174 Alex79

Alex79

• 133 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:27

Did he really blame Frijns? Does he do his tweeting before watching replays or does he have someone to do such on his behalf?

He did blame Frijns, in fact he did it three times:

- first directly along with Buemi after that crash

- second time in a post race article also posted here on Autosport

- third time in a tweet, which seems to backfire a bit now as some collegues (Frijns, Rowland, Da Costa, Juncadella and even Christophe Mies) were posting silly replies. 

It's too bad Di Grassi acts like a  hypocrite now. In that famous battersea crash he first told the press Buemi could not handle the pressure, but in the end he cracked himself and smashed them both. Also he tried to bump into Frijns the first time he was overtaken (when he could not get Attack Mode twice). Not that it really matters as the cars are heavy enough to handle some punishment, but he should not pretend he is squeaky clean himself

Edited by Alex79, 26 March 2019 - 12:28.

#1175 Alex79

Alex79

• 133 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:29

You also had d'Ambrosio holding a lot of the field up around P6, and the top5 driving away with relative ease. After d'Ambrosio got shuffled back the rest moved up again, only to be held up by Rowland excellent playing as Barrier Master ;)

#1176 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,074 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 20:39

Monaco's Pitlane may be used as Attack Zone Activation zone! 

https://e-racing365....k-zone-explored

#1177 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 21:51

Günther is back for Rome btw

Gunther.jpg

#1178 search

search

• 424 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 21:52

Energy saving?

Just thinking the two long straights might have made teams cautious with their energy usage, and reluctant to race too hard, especially early on.

talking about it... any idea if da Costa's numbers were correct, having 10% more energy than everyone else late in the race?

#1179 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:24

talking about it... any idea if da Costa's numbers were correct, having 10% more energy than everyone else late in the race?

I think that number’s a little too high to be believed. It would definitely be the outlier of the year so far. There were some funky things going on with the Attack Mode activation graphics late in the race (also with DAC, IIRC), so I wouldn’t be surprised if that carried over and resulted in some incorrect readings.

Advertisement

#1180 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:38

Günther is back for Rome btw

After a few races, it's pretty safe to say that Felipe Nasr isn't really cutting it in FE. Not that he's a bad driver, but the style of racing/circuits/cars doesn't seem to suit him, and he seems unable to compete at his true level.  In his podcast session with Marshall Pruett it also appears that he would much rather be in IndyCar, which seems like his natural home now.  As such, they should just put Maxi Günther back into the car full time.

Another driver whose days ought to be done is Lopez.  Quick on occasion no doubt, but the guy has NO racecraft in FE.  GEOX Dragon are in dire straits and desperately need MUCH better drivers in their line-up

#1181 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:46

Another driver whose days ought to be done is Lopez.  Quick on occasion no doubt, but the guy has NO racecraft in FE.  GEOX Dragon are in dire straits and desperately need MUCH better drivers in their line-up

I'm a big fan of his, but I have to agree on this one, he always manages to find a way to ruin his own weekend, either he should change his approach drastically or stick with touring cars.

#1182 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 16:44

After a few races, it's pretty safe to say that Felipe Nasr isn't really cutting it in FE. Not that he's a bad driver, but the style of racing/circuits/cars doesn't seem to suit him, and he seems unable to compete at his true level. In his podcast session with Marshall Pruett it also appears that he would much rather be in IndyCar, which seems like his natural home now. As such, they should just put Maxi Günther back into the car full time.

Another driver whose days ought to be done is Lopez. Quick on occasion no doubt, but the guy has NO racecraft in FE. GEOX Dragon are in dire straits and desperately need MUCH better drivers in their line-up

The car is bad, their drivers are bad (with the possible exception of Günther who was, y’know… actually somewhat quick), and their politics around their driver choices are also bad and poorly communicated.

I’d be surprised if we saw Dragon continuing to operate in this manner for too much longer. There has to be someone in the organization who both cares and is competent, right?

#1183 BRG

BRG

• 16,958 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 18:41

Monaco's Pitlane may be used as Attack Zone Activation zone! 

https://e-racing365....k-zone-explored

Why don't they put on the outside of Casino Square? 

Oh, wait a mo...

Assuming the pit lane speed limit still applies ( and why wouldn't it?), you will lose probably half a lap which the extra power surely won't allow you to make up.  And Vergne has pointed out the FCY/Safety Car issue.  Could you be overtaken whilst passing through the pit lane?  Surely yes although less places than under green.  It is really an invitation for controversy and post race arguments.  So they will probably do it.

#1184 RSRally

RSRally

• 987 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 21:01

Re: Dragon, i have a bit of a soft spot for them as the only real independent team in FE, plus I like their livery, but their driver lineup decisions are utterly chaotic even wasting a day of testing poncing about with Nasr in Marrakech.

The car has shown flashes of speed but seems quite unreliable sadly.

#1185 RSRally

RSRally

• 987 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 21:04

Why don't they put on the outside of Casino Square?

Oh, wait a mo...

Assuming the pit lane speed limit still applies ( and why wouldn't it?), you will lose probably half a lap which the extra power surely won't allow you to make up. And Vergne has pointed out the FCY/Safety Car issue. Could you be overtaken whilst passing through the pit lane? Surely yes although less places than under green. It is really an invitation for controversy and post race arguments. So they will probably do it.

But if everyone has to use the attack mode then it doesn't matter if you lose places, no different to an F1 pitstop.

Could just close the pitlane under FCY or safety car?

#1186 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 22:17

There has to be someone in the organization who both cares and is competent, right?

I think Roger Penske is biting his tongue so far, letting his son muddle about, but watch out if and when Ford becomes the official powertrain provider (as has been rumored) - I think we will see some changes at that time, if it indeed happens.

#1187 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 1,517 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 22:26

After a few races, it's pretty safe to say that Felipe Nasr isn't really cutting it in FE. Not that he's a bad driver, but the style of racing/circuits/cars doesn't seem to suit him, and he seems unable to compete at his true level.  In his podcast session with Marshall Pruett it also appears that he would much rather be in IndyCar, which seems like his natural home now.  As such, they should just put Maxi Günther back into the car full time.

Unfair to judge the drivers when the car is so bad (keeps breaking down or having technical glitches like exceding energy usage and the like). Remember López and D'Ambrosio were evenly matched last season and now, with a better car, D'ambrosio is fighting for the title.

#1188 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 451 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 22:28

I think Roger Penske is biting his tongue so far, letting his son muddle about, but watch out if and when Ford becomes the official powertrain provider (as has been rumored) - I think we will see some changes at that time, if it indeed happens.

AFAIK Roger doesn't have anything to do with the FE team, it's solely a Jay Penske business. 

#1189 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 22:58

AFAIK Roger doesn't have anything to do with the FE team, it's solely a Jay Penske business. 

I don't know, there might be SOME cross-over to the overall Penske organization, but you may well be right.  But what I was getting at is... if Dragon aligns with a big OEM in the future, it may well spell the end for shoddy team management, one way or another.  Ford (or who ever) would either bring in their own, or ask Roger's side of the family for more involvement.  All speculation at this time.

I'd rather see Ford take it over with Penske operating, and Dragon returning to IndyCar.

#1190 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:31

Piquet and Jaguar are done. Can‘t say it‘s a terrible loss, to be quite honest.

https://www.autospor...-ways-midseason

#1191 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:38

Pretty much everyone expected it to happen, only maybe not necessarily during the season. Lynn already confirmed as his replacement:

https://www.fiaformu...r-lynn-replaces

Can't say I expect much from him. 

#1192 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:40

Swapping Piquet for Lynn feels like swapping vanilla paint for cream paint, both pretty uninspiring.

Lynn has youth on his side I guess.

#1193 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:41

Pretty shocking fall from grace, to go from champion to fired, but yeah... the results just weren't there - and he was miles behind Evans.

Alex Lynn as replacement.  Is it a step up?  Who would you all think might be an even better choice than Lynn, halfway through the season?

Edited by maximilian, 28 March 2019 - 15:41.

#1194 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,074 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:49

Piquet has been abysmal since Season 4, no surprise.
Lynn tho?

Why not Paul di Resta?

#1195 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:52

I imagine PDR wouldn't be able to take part with Jaguar, with his commitments to Aston Martin in DTM. I'm not sure of parent companies etc, no idea if Jag and AM are linked in any way.

#1196 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:54

Meh, if Buemi can race for Nissan and Toyota, then di Resta could, too... he just doesn't seem to have any real interest in FE, else I am sure he would have popped up here already.

#1197 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:58

Ah yeah forgot about Buemi mixing it with different manufacturers. Also just seen that Lynn drives for Aston in WEC so that's my argument shot to pieces :lol:

#1198 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,659 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:08

He'll always have 2015.

#1199 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 1,947 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:20

Piquet is always a pretty average driver but surely Lynn isn't an improvement? Oh well, not as if this year's Jaguar will be pulling up any trees anyway

Advertisement

#1200 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,074 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:29

56120039_1007392596136374_71799301533744