Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Formula E Season 5 [2018/2019]: Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
1475 replies to this topic

Poll: Formula E Season 5 [2018/2019]: Official Thread (94 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you looking forward the most for S5?

1. New cars, proper speed! (63 votes [67.02%])

Percentage of vote: 67.02%

2. Felipe Massa's electric debut (8 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

3. Boost Mode in action (1 votes [1.06%])

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

4. An underdog's win (5 votes [5.32%])

Percentage of vote: 5.32%

5. New drivers, more cars (17 votes [18.09%])

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1301 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,602 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:44

Random query. How much narrowness in an FE track is acceptable? If there was a small amount of narrowness (like at Baku) in an otheriwse perfect layout, is that ok? A little more? None at all? Just wondering really.

No idea. I don't think the FIA have a minimum width of a track. 

While we are asking questions, I was wondering about our thought width the positioning of Attack Mode? Do we prefer it on the outside of a corner or the inside? And do we prefer it when there is a big time loss when a driver goes for it or not so much like we saw in Rome.

Edited by f1paul, 16 April 2019 - 14:47.

Advertisement

#1302 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,602 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:50

For me, first things first is that Attack Mode has been a big success. I did not understand it at first (by that I mean I didn't understand how it would work) but it has really added to the strategy for the race. Its not artificial and is a great addition.

I just wish you weren't allowed to use it under safety car or VSC conditions - green flag only.

The positioning of Attack Mode - I don't really mind now, and it depends on the track. Before Rome I thought the outside was better now I don't think it matters.

The time loss - I think if it costs a driver between 1-2 seconds then that is perfect. With so much nose to tail racing with cars in groups if the time loss is too big then you will drop lots 3-4 positions which means the Attack Mode is more of a disadvantage, not what we want to see.

Your thoughts?

#1303 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 413 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:54

The time loss - I think if it costs a driver between 1-2 seconds then that is perfect. With so much nose to tail racing with cars in groups if the time loss is too big then you will drop lots 3-4 positions which means the Attack Mode is more of a disadvantage, not what we want to see.

Agreed. You shouldn't be able to take it if you have a car directly behind you and keep your place, but you shouldn't need to pull out a 3-4 second gap either. Somewhere between 1-2 seconds is ideal. 

#1304 MattK9

MattK9

• 264 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:56

Attack mode seemed less effective in Rome than at other ePrix's. Not really sure why, but i dont recall anyone powering up the hill to overtake anyone at the 90 left after the jump. Evans basically had to shove Lotterer into the wall to overtake him even though he had an attack mode advantage. If Lotterer had more damage on the car then and had to retire then Evans would have had a penalty. I have not seen good footage of the Lopez/Bird incident at the same corner but it appeared to me that the only difference was that Lotterer sensibly backed out of it where as Bird didnt. Also Bird was overtaking Lopez.

I personally favour the outside of a long corner for the attack mode activation zone. The locations in Chile and Sanya were good. The location in Saudi and Mexico were poor as i thought that they were accident prone. Im sure in Mexico more than 1 accident occured because one car hit a car infront that had taken the corner slower to use the attack mode timing lines. The lines in Saudi were moved slightly after "driver feed back". Rome and Hong Kong i have no feelings on, one way or the other, about the placing of the activation zone.

I wish they would mix it up a bit and change the number of uses and time duration of attack mode. 3 x 3 mins or 4 x 2 mins would be ok.

#1305 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 19:25

Attack mode seemed less effective in Rome than at other ePrix's. Not really sure why, but i dont recall anyone powering up the hill to overtake anyone at the 90 left after the jump. Evans basically had to shove Lotterer into the wall to overtake him even though he had an attack mode advantage.

I thought Lotterer was just pretty good at defending his position which is what made Mitch try it somewhere a little unexpected. I do remember one or two overtakes after the jump when we weren't watchign the front two.

My current posiiton on Attack Mode is that it really does work in a racing sense and feels actually quite natural. I was worried it wouldn't, so it's all goign better than expected. I am curous to see more variaiton in Attack Mode in terms of maximum uses, minumim uses, number of activations and length of each activation. But then how it is now works pretty well, why on the other hand... why change it? One easy immedaite fix is definitely disengage it's use under FCY and SC conditions. That should be done immedaitely.

#1306 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 19:31

Iconiq Motors Eyes Formula E Entry
https://e-racing365....ormula-e-entry/

“At Iconiq, we’re considering to have our own team in the next year or two. We’re very close to the Formula E founders and organisation,” Debbas [said]
last week.  [...]   It remains unclear how Debbas would get a slot in the ABB FIA Formula E Championship because the field is limited to 12 entrant teams. Under the current constitution of Formula E, Iconiq’s only hope of a slot on the grid would be through a takeover of a current team."

Hmmmm

And also mainly this interesting nuggest:

Ford and Honda Performance Development are believed to have had recent discussions with Penske regarding possible deals for a buy-out of Dragon

#1307 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,977 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 22:55

Attack mode seemed less effective in Rome than at other ePrix's. Not really sure why, but i dont recall anyone powering up the hill to overtake anyone at the 90 left after the jump. Evans basically had to shove Lotterer into the wall to overtake him even though he had an attack mode advantage. If Lotterer had more damage on the car then and had to retire then Evans would have had a penalty. I have not seen good footage of the Lopez/Bird incident at the same corner but it appeared to me that the only difference was that Lotterer sensibly backed out of it where as Bird didnt. Also Bird was overtaking Lopez.

I personally favour the outside of a long corner for the attack mode activation zone. The locations in Chile and Sanya were good. The location in Saudi and Mexico were poor as i thought that they were accident prone. Im sure in Mexico more than 1 accident occured because one car hit a car infront that had taken the corner slower to use the attack mode timing lines. The lines in Saudi were moved slightly after "driver feed back". Rome and Hong Kong i have no feelings on, one way or the other, about the placing of the activation zone.

I wish they would mix it up a bit and change the number of uses and time duration of attack mode. 3 x 3 mins or 4 x 2 mins would be ok.

I don't think you paid that much attention to the race. The contact between Lotterer and Evans was pretty minimul as they were both giving each other just enough room. Lopez was basically being an idiot, Bird was most of the way past and Lopez refused to back out resulting in clearly avoidable contact, his penalty was well deserved.

I agree about the change up to attack mode, it would be nice to see them use something other than 2x 4 minute bursts, even if it was just to see what kind of effect it might have.

As for the positioning of the attack mode, I think we've seen it's best when in a position that costs the driver about 1s, if it's likely to cost the drivers a lot of time then they all just use it under the SC or FCY to avoide the time loss, inside or outside at that point doesn't matter.

#1308 Alex79

Alex79

• 116 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:26

I thought Lotterer was just pretty good at defending his position which is what made Mitch try it somewhere a little unexpected. I do remember one or two overtakes after the jump when we weren't watchign the front two.

Another problem seems the tv-coverage. Mostly the director sticks to the leaders of the field and forgets the rest, so you have to watch the board or live timing. Only in Morrocco, where they already have experience with WTCC/WTCR races where they able to give a complete overview of the field. It seems Frijns had quite a battle with Buemi, but I can only guess how he managed to jump Buemi for 4th, as we've seen none of it.

#1309 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:41

Interesting!
Lotterer struggles with the tyre temperatures allowed Evans to attack.

Is that the first time we hear about tyre management in Formula E?

https://www.motorspo...racing/4371846/

#1310 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,977 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:43

Interesting!
Lotterer struggles with the tyre temperatures allowed Evans to attack.

Is that the first time we hear about tyre management in Formula E?

https://www.motorspo...racing/4371846/

No, tyre management was a massive concern in Santiago, it just got overshadowed by the battery temps, and more pertinantly Lotterer felt it was due to his rear tyre pressures being too high so would be a result of set up rather than thermal degredation as in F1. Lotterers car was visably a lot more oversteery than Evans throughout the race.

#1311 MattK9

MattK9

• 264 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:07

I don't think you paid that much attention to the race. The contact between Lotterer and Evans was pretty minimul as they were both giving each other just enough room. Lopez was basically being an idiot, Bird was most of the way past and Lopez refused to back out resulting in clearly avoidable contact, his penalty was well deserved.

Lopez's penalty was well deserved, he made himself look like a fool 3 times in 1 lap. 

The main reason why Evans didnt get a penalty was because Lotterer was able to continue. The reason why Lotterer was able to continue was because he backed out of the move. If Lotterer was more determind to win or thrown caution to the wind he could tried to stick it around the outside. That would have looked like Evans had slammed Lotterer into the wall and he would have deserved his penalty.

Evans essentially put his car in a position where he could have had race ending contact and it was up to Lotterer to back out of it.

#1312 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,953 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:27

SOMEBODY needs to put Dragon out of their misery in FE.

Bring Dragon back to IndyCar, instead, Jay.

#1313 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:50

The main reason why Evans didnt get a penalty was because Lotterer was able to continue. The reason why Lotterer was able to continue was because he backed out of the move. If Lotterer was more determind to win or thrown caution to the wind he could tried to stick it around the outside. That would have looked like Evans had slammed Lotterer into the wall and he would have deserved his penalty.

Evans essentially put his car in a position where he could have had race ending contact and it was up to Lotterer to back out of it.

Personally I thought it was good. I like hard racing as long as it's clean and respectful and, despite the contact, I believe that it was just that. Evans left Lotterer barely any more than a cars width, but that was all Lotterer needed to not end up in the wall and still make the turn.

Basically the two things I am happy about regarding that overtake are that 1) It had good racing respect with both leaving room so that the other guy didn't hit the wall and 2) Lotterer called fair play and complimented Evans on a job well done. It's nice to see that sportsmanship, both on track and off. More of it please.

#1314 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,977 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:45

Lopez's penalty was well deserved, he made himself look like a fool 3 times in 1 lap. 

Whilst this is true, it also pre-surposes that Lotterer is an idiot willing to destroy both their races, and he proved that he very much isn't. When going wheel to wheel someone has got to back out at some point or there is going to be trouble for one or both drivers, this is pretty much a given in every racing series around regardless of the types of tracks they race on (though the consequences will be different on road, street and oval courses).

#1315 MattK9

MattK9

• 264 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:13

Whilst this is true, it also pre-surposes that Lotterer is an idiot willing to destroy both their races, and he proved that he very much isn't. When going wheel to wheel someone has got to back out at some point or there is going to be trouble for one or both drivers, this is pretty much a given in every racing series around regardless of the types of tracks they race on (though the consequences will be different on road, street and oval courses).

I think Lotterer has proved a couple of times in Formula E that he very much is willing to destroy both his own race and someone elses. Paris last year on the last corner with Sam Bird springs to mind.

#1316 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:31

I have a random find! Was looking at this Porsche press shot from their testing at Calafat, which seems to be the preferred track for private testing, and thought that track looks very new and those kerbs look very Formula E.

Porsche-Press-Photo.jpg

So I went on to look at Google Earth's historical imagery of the Calafat circuit and it looks like there have been ongoing additions and mofifications add Formula E specific pieces of track for testing purposes since about 2016, which does explain why FE teams keep going there to test.

Track circa 2015

Screenshot-2019-04-18-at-10-30-36.png

In 2016 three quite tight chicanes were added:

Screenshot-2019-04-18-at-10-20-05.png

Screenshot-2019-04-18-at-10-20-22.png

And some time in the last year they added two more extra pieces of track to mimic street circuit set up, including the one seen in the Porsche picture.

Screenshot-2019-04-18-at-10-22-44.png

Their website has a track map with these new corners listed and named after FE teams and even has one more modification not visible on the aerial imagery (named after DS).

plano-general2018.png

Just an interesting thing really.

#1317 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:57

Great find man.
Kinda shows how pointless Valencia group testing really is, when they have a much more representative track in Calafat. 

Rome onboard mix

Gunther just acquaplaned out!  :eek:

Edited by thegamer23, 18 April 2019 - 20:57.

#1318 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:25

Hartley testing again with Porsche!

57484864_1083425085114672_18210455176609

094350830-d1bd2015-8f13-443f-a4f7-ea21af

Edited by thegamer23, 19 April 2019 - 08:27.

#1319 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:54

For the gaming types, FE Gen 2 will be is on rFactor 2 soon NOW

Edited by Vielleicht, 19 April 2019 - 10:38.

Advertisement

#1320 balage06

balage06

• 995 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:11

It's already released actually, I'm testing it atm!  :)

#1321 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:33

It's already released actually, I'm testing it atm!  :)

Fab! Is it any good?

#1322 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:56

Screenshot-2019-04-19-at-12-46-15.png

I quite like Maxi Günther. Some comments he made at a voestalpine event in February:

"Here it’s all about new technologies, and even in motorsport, electric drives are the future. That’s why it’s also a privilege for me as a young driver to take part in this series. And in terms of profile, it’s already on a level with Formula One. The series has only been going for five years, and you can assume that it will continue to grow.”

(https://www.voestalp...in-formula-one/)

#1323 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:15

I like the guy! 
He seems very enthusiastic about Formula E, and he has the speed to compete for podiums. 

I thought his replacement with Nasr was quite unfair tbh, he was in Superpole in Santiago & was fighting for P5 in race when he had techinical issues. 
In Rome, he qualified very well, a shame for that spin. 

If i was Penske, i would retain him over Lopez, to be honest. 

Edited by thegamer23, 19 April 2019 - 12:16.

#1324 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,953 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:53

Agree, Maxi is about the only good thing to happen to Dragon (other than securing GEOX sponsorship) in a while.  They ought to keep him in the car.  Lopez isn't doing much better than Piquet these days, and Nasr is in Neel-Jani-Territory... it doesn't seem to be "his type of racing", even though he's otherwise a talented driver.

#1325 balage06

balage06

• 995 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 14:55

Fab! Is it any good?

I like it, it behaves pretty similar to what you would expect from it based on real life footage, the car is extremely unstable under braking, very easy to lock the fronts, it understeers on corner entry, but then you get snaps of oversteer mid-corner, especially when you are greedy with the throttle, but the car can be rotated with it very nicely through tight corners, I just don't have enough confidence yet to do it on purpose. :)

Here is my third attempt behind the wheel, which was a short run with 225 kW.

The downsides: the external TV cam sounds are horrible, like a desperate mosquito trying to bite you at night, could be much better. Also, the Hong Kong E-Prix is the only official content in terms of locations, there are other track mods available, but those are not very accurate/high quality unfortunately.

Edited by balage06, 20 April 2019 - 07:41.

#1326 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 22:01

There's a really interesting piece/interview with Alex Lynn here. He seems pretty level headed really. 

https://drivetribe.c...SSjCtnTjb002XnA

#1327 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 22:36

There's a really interesting piece/interview with Alex Lynn here. He seems pretty level headed really. 

https://drivetribe.c...SSjCtnTjb002XnA

I quite like Lynn as well, obviously didn't have the best season at DS Virgin last year but that always surpised me actually.

#1328 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,977 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:27

Screenshot-2019-04-19-at-12-46-15.png

I quite like Maxi Günther. Some comments he made at a voestalpine event in February:

(https://www.voestalp...in-formula-one/)

I like Gunther, clearly the best thing to happen to Dragon this year, but that quote is just PR nonsense. Anyone that actually believes FE's profile is equal to F1's hasn't a clue.

#1329 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:32

I like Gunther, clearly the best thing to happen to Dragon this year, but that quote is just PR nonsense. Anyone that actually believes FE's profile is equal to F1's hasn't a clue.

To be fair to him, he said 'on a level' with Formula One, not 'level with'.

I took that to mean you mention it in the same sentence like '...top level motorsport such as F1, IndyCar, WEC, FE'

But that's just me.

#1330 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 20:16

Radio from Rome! (been looking forward to this)

#1331 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 22:47

Love those team radio compilations by Formula E.
So good that F1 copied (again!) the format in the previous race.

#1332 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:45

Noticed that Formula One has sound effects for the start lights now last time I watched. Not a direct FE copy but certainly definitely struck me as inspired by.

#1333 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,977 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:18

Noticed that Formula One has sound effects for the start lights now last time I watched. Not a direct FE copy but certainly definitely struck me as inspired by.

And just as in FE (though it was far more noticable in season 1, you don't seem to get much of them now) it is largely ridiculous.

#1334 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:35

And just as in FE (though it was far more noticable in season 1, you don't seem to get much of them now) it is largely ridiculous.

I think FE has had more time to work out what is obtrusive in the broadcast and what feels more natural. In ealier FE seasons I do agree it did feel a lot more clumsy just as the F1 start lights do now. The original fanboost sound was awful, and the first uses of 'safety car deployed' sounds weren't much better. Don't think it's so bad anymore though...and I almost like the Attack Mode pick up sound, if only as a relativly subtle audible indicator that the driver you're watching on screen didn't miss the sensor loops.

At the end of the day it's not exactly a revolutionary game changer for either series. I think it is, however, interesting how F1 is feeling the need to follow FE at times, good ideas or not.

#1335 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,774 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 13:34

I wonder how Paris eprix will go ahead with Gilets jaunes on stage...

I hope that Agag and Paris city got their **** together....

#1336 RSRally

RSRally

• 812 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 14:32

Those poor Venturi/HWA guys all with driveshaft problems.. but we should thank our lucky stars JEV and DiGrassi aren't in those cars. Imagine the whining!

#1337 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 14:55

Screenshot-2019-04-22-at-15-54-27.png

Hmmmmmmmm

#1338 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 15:04

Screenshot-2019-04-22-at-15-54-27.png

Hmmmmmmmm

Ford?
I've heard they're going to ditch their GTE WEC programme.

#1339 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 15:14

My money is still on Dragon Ford for now on the manufacturer front.

Big name Team Pricniple... hmm.. Time to revive the Rosberg as head of Merc FE speculation?  :lol:

Future of a recent race winner sounds like it's likely to be Evans. Or maybe Mortara. 

Advertisement

#1340 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 15:29

Big name Team Pricniple... hmm.. Time to revive the Rosberg as head of Merc FE speculation?  :lol:

Maybe!

I guess we could find out in the next few days

#1341 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,627 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 16:40

I wonder how Paris eprix will go ahead with Gilets jaunes on stage...

I hope that Agag and Paris city got their **** together....

I share your concern. During a few Saturdays in the past couple of months, I've walked to Les Invalides on the south bank of the Seine; the police presence at Pont Alexandre III has been very strong. Police will be hard-pressed to lock down the Champs-Élysées and oversee the Formula E race.

#1342 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,949 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 16:57

Yeah, i went every year to Paris, but i will pass this time because of them.

#1343 Anja

Anja

• 3,592 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 17:20

Ford?
I've heard they're going to ditch their GTE WEC programme.

Wasn't that confirmed already? 

#1344 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,949 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 18:00

Not yet.

#1345 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 413 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 18:49

Wasn't that confirmed already? 

Not sure if officially so, but the story I read sounded pretty definitive. It also stated they were ditching it for an "as yet unnamed new racing venture".

#1346 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 18:54

There was this from Sportscar365: https://sportscar365...ory-gt-program/

#1347 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 20:52

Weirdly, on watching back last year's Paris ePrix, the circuit seems a lot wider than I remember :confused:

#1348 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,407 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 21:54

Yeah, i recalled it to be much tigher too.

Good good, race thread coming later tomorrow! :D

#1349 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:15

Wow, yeah for some reason as well I had it in my head that Paris was much more narrow all the way around. Maybe a three year extension here isn't so terrible if they extend the track somehow? 

#1350 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 3,692 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:11

I've had a look at alternative layouts for Paris and if they stay at Les Invalides it's not all that easy. The most plausible options I've found to extend the track and avoid narrow sections leaves little to no conveneint room for pits... or may potentially creep into unaccptable levels of disruption. Having said that this is Paris's fourth year doing it and it's just across the Seine from the FIA headquarters so maybe there's sway there to further establish it as a Parisian event.