Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Formula E Season 5 [2018/2019]: Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
1614 replies to this topic

Poll: Formula E Season 5 [2018/2019]: Official Thread (95 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you looking forward the most for S5?

1. New cars, proper speed! (64 votes [67.37%])

Percentage of vote: 67.37%

2. Felipe Massa's electric debut (8 votes [8.42%])

Percentage of vote: 8.42%

3. Boost Mode in action (1 votes [1.05%])

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

4. An underdog's win (5 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. New drivers, more cars (17 votes [17.89%])

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1601 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,183 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 22:10

I’ve seen a lot of people disappointed that Müller hasn’t got the drive at Audi but I’m not convinced that he is any better than Abt anyway. He’s been the Daniel Abt of DTM where he is quite reliable and consistent but has never been the lead Audi driver or title challenger, although he’s been a lot closer this year. And as a single seater his record was nothing special. Keeping Abt in FE and Müller in DTM seems the logical choice.

I would however love to see René Rast given a go. He seems incredible whatever car he driver.

Thanks for that link, Rudo!

Seconded on Rene Rast - the guy keeps popping up in various places doing really well!

Maybe Müller could be placed into another team for now, before moving to the prestigious factory Audi team?  Although I couldn't say which... the Envision Virgin seats are all definitely taken.

Outside chance we might see him in the Porsche, if Lotterer stays at DS Techeetah?

Advertisement

#1602 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,183 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:02

Cool pix, just saw this on the beeb - sorry if already posted before?

https://www.bbc.com/...ctures-48592892

#1603 RSRally

RSRally

• 888 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:09

According to e-racing 365, if Marrakech doesn't happen there will not be another race in December.. which would mean a two month gap at the start of the season.

So i really hope Marrakech happens, don't want to go back to the bad old days of massive calendar gaps in FE.

#1604 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,717 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:54

Indeed. Fingers crossed for Marrakesh to happen

#1605 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,085 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:41

Hmmm what could this be...

Screenshot-2019-07-14-at-12-34-21.png

Popped up on an instagram tag I was following. There's a document with a title suggesting preliminary layouts for Jakarta and the text translates to (taking exceprts):

"Jakarta will be one of the hosts of the prestigious Formula E car race in mid-2020"

"[...] flew to New York to complete negotiations with the Formula E management agency."

"The team from Formula E has also come specifically to conduct field tests in Jakarta on July 8-9."

I wonder if that will amount to anything or is even how much of it is accurate.

Interesting.

#1606 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,985 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:02

"Mid-2020" - if that means by calendar year then that surely means it will be one of the last races so unlikely to happen IMO. 

And also a FE team went to do a test last week? Or is that next year? 

#1607 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,085 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:13

Yeah the timescales seem off. Either it's for another time in the season or for the season after. Or the ares dates all premature and nothing is set in stone.

I think by team from FE they mean a team from FE themselves to conduct a venue feasibility study?

#1608 RSRally

RSRally

• 888 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:01

Race 7 is TBC although pencilled in for somewhere in China, a change to Jakarta sounds feasible?

#1609 messy

messy

• 3,411 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 15:40

I’ve seen a lot of people disappointed that Müller hasn’t got the drive at Audi but I’m not convinced that he is any better than Abt anyway. He’s been the Daniel Abt of DTM where he is quite reliable and consistent but has never been the lead Audi driver or title challenger, although he’s been a lot closer this year. And as a single seater his record was nothing special. Keeping Abt in FE and Müller in DTM seems the logical choice.
I would however love to see René Rast given a go. He seems incredible whatever car he driver.

I think Abt gets a slightly raw deal, his place in the team has always been questioned due to his obvious family connections (and rightly so early on, when he wasn’t much use) but he’s steadily improved a lot and has always been a stronger #2 than, say, Nico Prost. I don’t really see why Audi would change. Di Grassi and Abt are a good, proven pairing both capable of winning.

But yeah, I’d love to see Rast because he's a real talent wherever he races. Just a proper, old fashioned fast racing driver who can turn his hand to anything and be competitive. I reckon you could stick him on a MotoGP bike and he’d get into Q2!

#1610 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 5,089 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 15:40

Race 7 is TBC although pencilled in for somewhere in China, a change to Jakarta sounds feasible?

Close enough, it’s east of Suez ;)

#1611 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,183 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:09

Jakarta would be a great venue, also because it's a city that is fighting tremendous pollution problems - so showcasing "emission-free" vehicles would seem appropriate there.

#1612 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,085 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:18

Mainstream motorsport press have picked up on the Jakarta story now

https://www.autospor...-indonesia-race

FE Spokesperson: “We’re in advanced discussions but aren’t yet able to make any announcement.”

#1613 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 445 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 16:46

Despite the fact that I think they‘ve done a very good job with the hand they were dealt, I was a bit surprised to see that HWA was apparently the best-ever rookie team in FE.

I am very interested to see what they can do when they are finally freed of the difficult and unreliable Venturi package and with the full might of Mercedes behind them. Right now, Stoffel is definitely my choice of dark horse for next year.

Source: https://twitter.com/...8365542402?s=21

Edited by Silberpfeil, 15 July 2019 - 16:46.

#1614 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 429 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 16:58

Despite the fact that I think they‘ve done a very good job with the hand they were dealt, I was a bit surprised to see that HWA was apparently the best-ever rookie team in FE.

I am very interested to see what they can do when they are finally freed of the difficult and unreliable Venturi package and with the full might of Mercedes behind them. Right now, Stoffel is definitely my choice of dark horse for next year.

Source: https://twitter.com/...8365542402?s=21

The Venturi package had it's problems. It was reasonably fast to start the season, but constantly breaking down. After the technical problems were sorted there were really only a couple of races before the top teams had developed themselves out of reach on racepace.

On the positive side, the team improved hugely from making making quite a few mistakes at the start of the season to seemingly running as smoothly as any team by the end. Will be very interesting to see if Porsche can avoid the teething problems next season.

#1615 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,717 posts

Posted Today, 07:44

Rio De Janeiro open to Season 6 debut!

https://it.motorspor...9-2020/4496262/

The Piquets (Nelson + Nelsinho) were attended by Rio's Major & got the green light & full support to organize an event in Copacabana

Rumors about Rio getting the empty December slot. 

Edited by thegamer23, Today, 07:45.