* * * * - 2 votes

Ricciardo joins Renault

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2708 replies to this topic

#51 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:12

Jesus.... I really didn't expect that. Clearly fed up with unreliability and the prospect of Honda.

Good luck to him, but can't help but feel this is an 'Alonso' type decision.

Fed up with unreliability and then joining the source of the problems? I don't get it. 

It is clear to me he didn't get the shared 'no 1 status' he wanted. 

Advertisement

#52 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,067 posts

Jesus.... I really didn't expect that. Clearly fed up with unreliability and the prospect of Honda.

If he feels Red Bull aren't going to win the championship in the next few years, he is not losing a championship shot. He may lose some race winning opportunities, but on the upside, if Renault have one of their periodic golden eras, he is in position to benefit. I think simply having Daniel will lift them up a bit closer to Red Bull etc.

#53 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,518 posts

How Ferrari hasn't got him is just beyond me!

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 03 August 2018 - 11:15.

#54 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 389 posts

So it's Kimi to RBR and Charles to Ferrari, right?  :p

#55 monolulu

monolulu

• 906 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:13

Think he’s hoping it’s a Lewis type decision!

#56 sopa

sopa

• 11,750 posts

It's a bold, bold decision - like the one Hamilton made when he joined Mercedes. Will it pay off? Only time will tell. We know that Renault could, in the right circumstances, be a championship contending team down the line - let's see if Ricciardo is the one to take them there.

I don't see them being any kind of contender prior to 2021.

In this case you wonder, why Ricciardo couldn't continue with Red Bull for two more years before choosing another team (Renault? Or even Merc/Ferrari available then?) for 2021?

I think he just wants to get out of the shadow of Max V. Because I find it unlikely Renault will perform better than Red Bull, unless Honda flops. And I find it unlikely he gets paid more at Renault than at Red Bull.

#57 F1fan1977

F1fan1977

• 31 posts

Really didn’t see that coming. Now who’s gonna replace him at red bull? 🤔

#58 P123

P123

• 15,445 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:14

He's just going for the money.  ;)

I half expected him to be at McLaren, but then again thanks to Brown that is a bit of a shambles at present so not exactly enticing.

Renault are a team on the up, Red Bull see their future as Max, and he'll get a new challenge and a nice retainer. Makes sense that way.

But what about Sainz and Ocon? Sainz to McLaren, Ocon to stay where he is?

#59 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,066 posts

I find myself wondering whether this could be one of the worst decisions of this sort since Amon left Ferrari at the end of 1969 to join March. :drunk: :lol:

Edited by cpbell, 03 August 2018 - 11:14.

Advertisement

#60 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,625 posts

How Ferrari haven't got him is just beyond me!

They have Kimi as rear gunner and Leclerc being groomed. They even have GIovinazzi as another spare in a few years. Come 2020, any driver is up for grabs with the right amount of cash.

#61 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,030 posts

Worth remembering Red Bull’s option on Sainz was only for him to join the big squad and doesn’t expire until September.

#62 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,067 posts

How Ferrari haven't got him is just beyond me!

They don't want a highly competitive driver alongside Seb, unfortunately.

#63 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 515 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:15

Actually I think more likely it could be

Ocon at Red Bull

Hulk at Renault

Than the other way around.

Because arguably Hulk still has a valid contract with Renault, and Red Bull has always been more eager in young talent, and Ocon is younger than Hulk.

But RedBull may feel they need a more experienced and "stable" driver along side Max to keep aiding his developing into the future, Alonso?  :lol:

#64 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,414 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:16

He talked about how Lewis Hamilton's decision to join Mercedes inspired him. I can only explain this move with that in mind. He thinks Red Bull isn't going anywhere in the future with these kind of engines and thinks Renault will become the new ''Mercedes''.

#65 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,278 posts

Always seemed logical to me. I'm surprised people are so surprised by it.

#66 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

So Sainz going to McLaren and Alonso retiring is all but confirmed by this then.

#67 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 515 posts

They don't want a highly competitive driver alongside Seb, unfortunately.

Yup very sad infact, and image if Vettel don't deliver the title this year for Ferrari? Clearly a lack of ambition and risk taking, when they got better driver's like Dan there for the taking.

#68 SmallHorsey

SmallHorsey

• 951 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:17

Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Maybe skipping the test could have been a sign? Anyway, I don't have high hopes for either Red Bull or Renault in the near future so perhaps not much to lose. And whatever Red Bull say, they were more geared around Max.

A change is as good as a holiday.

#69 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:17

In this case you wonder, why Ricciardo couldn't continue with Red Bull for two more years before choosing another team (Renault? Or even Merc/Ferrari available then?) for 2021?

I agree regarding short-term Renault competitiveness.  Merceds were a more competitive team (with the best engine) at the end of 2012 than Renault is at present).  I also concur with your point regarding waiting until 2021, when it's more likely that a Mercedes or Ferrari drive would become available.  This decision strikes me as being a massive gamble.

#70 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,772 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:18

He talked about how Lewis Hamilton's decision to join Mercedes inspired him. I can only explain this move with that in mind. He thinks Red Bull isn't going anywhere in the future with these kind of engines and thinks Renault will become the new ''Mercedes''.

When did Dan speak on the topic?

#71 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:18

Dan won't go to Ferrari because Seb won;t allow them to sign anyone faster than him....

#72 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,067 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:19

Yup very sad infact, and image if Vettel don't deliver the title this year for Ferrari? Clearly a lack of ambition and risk taking, when they got better driver's like Dan there for the taking.

I wonder who their next team leader will be. When they do decide to recruit a star driver, they usually go for a big name and money is no object. Dan would have been a perfect fit, but I think this move makes it unlikely to be him.

#73 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:21

Mercedes always had a class of the field engine when Lewis was making his decision. Also, Mercedes had top of the line brass (Brown, etc) at that time.

But is Ricciardo now the first one alive to believe Cyril his promises?

#74 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:21

Always seemed logical to me. I'm surprised people are so surprised by it.

Hindsight is always 20:20 and makes it easy to claim that I saw it coming". :p :cool:

Edited by cpbell, 03 August 2018 - 11:22.

#75 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,685 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:22

I think he just wants to get out of the shadow of Max V. Because I find it unlikely Renault will perform better than Red Bull, unless Honda flops. And I find it unlikely he gets paid more at Renault than at Red Bull.

Agreed, but establishing a strong rapport with the team before the 2021 changes could well make a difference down the line. Ricciardo probably sees this as a side step/slight down step in the short term, but with the scope for a real step up in the long run if things pan out as he hopes. It's a gamble, but the years he's had at Red Bull haven't delivered him the title-competing car he seeks - going elsewhere, even if it's a gamble, is perhaps better than just hoping next year will be different than this year.

#76 LH44Fan

LH44Fan

• 580 posts

Waiting for official confirmation but Keith Collantine at Racefans runs a tight ship, so if they're reporting it...

Yup, I just read it there too and I believe him - this is exciting and reminds me of when a certain lad from Stevenage left a proven winner to join a Works Team with the promise of future improvements and everyone laughed at him - for the sake of the racing spectacle (it hurts seeing great drivers down the field, e.g Alonso) I hope this has the same fairytale ending...

All the best Daniel!  :up:

#77 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,400 posts

Mercedes always had a class of the field engine when Lewis was making his decision. Also, Mercedes had top of the line brass (Brown, etc) at that time.

But is Ricciardo now the first one alive to believe Cyril his promises?

Personally I think, Cyril has been the Renault's biggest problem over the last years.

They were fool to keep him instead of Vasseur.

#78 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,859 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:23

Down hill from here for Ricciardo sadly. Cant see Renault producing a winning car or decent engine.

#79 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:23

I wonder who their next team leader will be. When they do decide to recruit a star driver, they usually go for a big name and money is no object. Dan would have been a perfect fit, but I think this move makes it unlikely to be him.

Maybe Hamilton cashing in at the end of his career?

Advertisement

#80 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 515 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:24

Down hill from here for Ricciardo sadly. Cant see Renault producing a winning car or decent engine.

But you can see Honda produce a winning engine?

#81 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,542 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:25

Bugger me. That's come out of left field. I'm not convinced it's a great idea.

#82 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:25

Me right now...

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: 

#83 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,124 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:26

Some good scooping going on this morning - who got there first?

I think it's Racefans

#84 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,522 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:27

I find myself wondering whether this could be one of the worst decisions of this sort since Amon left Ferrari at the end of 1969 to join March. :drunk: :lol:

to be fair people said the same about Lewis to Merc 'he'll never win another race etc'.

#85 bogi

bogi

• 3,911 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:28

Alonso: ''I ****ed up with joining McLaren''

Ricciardo: ''Hold my beer''

#86 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,542 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:28

Are we expecting Ricciardo and Ocon at Renault then? I hope Hulk gets a seat somewhere.

Edited by Spillage, 03 August 2018 - 11:38.

#87 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,859 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:29

No more so than Renault, so I would rather keep a Newey designed car with a Honda engine. If anything I reckon Honda might overtake Renault anyway. finished last race in 6th place on pure performance.

#88 TheFish

TheFish

• 516 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:29

I love it when silly season is actually interesting.

I think unless you're in a Ferrari or a Mercedes for the next 2 and a half years you have no chance of winning anything. The gamble is for 2021 - will Renault, McLaren or Red Bull have a chance of winning the title then? Danny Ric has decided that Renault is the most likely, we won't know if he's right for a while yet.

#89 Chunkinator

Chunkinator

• 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:30

Out of curiosity how similar is this to the ham to merc move? Cus at least to me it seems pretty similar - a driver from a almost best team going to join a team that's not quite there yet. I suppose merc had already won a race when ham had joined though? So renault is a bit less developed than merc and also there isn't massively new regs for the team to jump up the field in a year?

Edited by Chunkinator, 03 August 2018 - 11:31.

#90 David1976

David1976

• 1,600 posts

I think this could be a good move for Ricciardo.  It may take a few years but they know he's a race winner - unlike Hulk - so it'll be on them to make the chassis and engine in line with his expectations.

I think we will see:-

Sainz to McLaren/Vand out

Gaz to Red Bull

Norris to Torro Rosso/Hartley out

Ocon remaining where he is or a swap with Hulk + $

Edited by David1976, 03 August 2018 - 11:31.

#91 Huffer

Huffer

• 947 posts

Wow. Brave move from Ric there!

#92 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,278 posts

Hindsight is always 20:20 and makes it easy to claim that I saw it coming". :p :cool:

Don't want to big myself up, but I predicted this a few months ago. It was widely reported that Renault tried hard to secure Ricciardo in return for the STR-Honda deal (with Sainz only being the second best choice) so they've clearly been fishing about for a while, and there's just been something that has felt a bit "off" about the Red Bull-Ricciardo relationship for a while now. Nothing particularly obvious, but it's seemed a bit on the cool side for a few months.

Edited by wj_gibson, 03 August 2018 - 11:31.

#93 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,391 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:34

I don't even...  :well:

#94 as65p

as65p

• 21,857 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:34

Personally I think it has rather more to do with the Max-lovefest within Red Bull. Despite all those lipservices to the contrary from all sides, Verstappen has always been the golden child in  their middle and long-term plans, Ricciardo no more than a footnote. Just look at the statements now he leaves, does RB sound genuinely sorry or heartbroken to you...  ;)

#95 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:35

I can; then again, I fell in love with Formula 1 when their engines were dominant, so it might just be cognitive bias.

#96 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,278 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:35

Meanwhile, the rest of it:

Gasly to RBR

Sainz to McLaren

Norris loaned to STR

Alonso probably to go off to Indycars for another crack at the 500. 

I suppose the bigger question becomes whether Renault will also take Ocon and dump Hulk.

#97 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:36

I dont really feel this move. He wont win anything with Renault until 2021. There is no way around Mercedes and Ferrari for the Championship until the engine change up.

#98 sopa

sopa

• 11,750 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:37

Nah, it's hard to top Alonso going to McLaren-Honda in 2015. Whatever Renault is in 2019, I'm sure they won't be that bad!

#99 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:38

Lead driver at one of 4 works teams on the grid, on presumably more cash than RBR would have offered. Makes sense to me.

Advertisement

#100 MrHypercar

MrHypercar

• 38 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:38

I for one am surprised.
Might Max be his kryptonite, or does he feel beating a team mate is key when you're not winning championships anyway? Renault right now is a lot down on chassis pace. Just not as much as McLaren, which says very little in this season.
Normally we'd expect Ricciardo to whip Hulk a bit. But at current performance levels, Ricciardo would still finish 7th unless a top 3 team has an issue.

RIC's reputation is dwindling. And that's with 2 wins this season in the 3rd fastest car (albeit one race, a dominant car and wrecked team mate).
HE was the Vettel killer, unbeatable on one-lap pace. Max arrives, and wins his first race. Then quali gets better and better. Now, RIC is basically a given slower qualifier than Max. That is, he got in front once, the other 2 times, Max crashed himself out of contention :-)
RB wanted to keep him. Renault wanted to have him in the Toro Rosso Honda deal. 

Seems like Hulk's cred is also dropping with this switch, do Renault say they need a big bucks driver for the future, Hulk's not #1 driver material to them anymore?