Ricciardo joins Renault

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2708 replies to this topic

#101 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:38

Personally I think it has rather more to do with the Max-lovefest within Red Bull. Despite all those lipservices to the contrary from all sides, Verstappen has always been the golden child in  their middle and long-term plans, Ricciardo no more than a footnote. Just look at the statements now he leaves, does RB sound genuinely sorry or heartbroken to you...  ;)

I was trying to think if they sounded so when Vettel left. They may have done, but I don't remember anything comparable to say, Ron Dennis going full King Lear over Lewis the thankless child handing in his notice.

Edit: Also Alonso should now go to Red Bull, if only because it seems to be about the only team on the grid he's never driven for. I'm saying this knowing this is bound to be wrong but srcew it, hit post.

Advertisement

#102 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,105 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:38

to be fair people said the same about Lewis to Merc 'he'll never win another race etc'.

Difference is that Mercedes at the time were demonstrating clear improvement and had the best engine on the grid.  Renault have definitely improved since the Genii years but I'm not convinced they're going to produce a Mercedes/Ferrari-equally Power Unit.

#103 A3

A3

• 28,984 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:39

From "he has signed with Ferrari" to "It's just abaout the details with Red Bull" to ..... Renault. He must love that engine. :drunk:

Seriously, good luck to him. Not happy about him leaving RBR myself and I relly do wonder if it's the right choice for him. On the other hand, in hindsight Max signing with Red Bull might not have been the best choice either.

#104 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,745 posts

Massive respect for him, he don't want to a number 2 even if that means to go to a team that is not as competitive as RB. I'm assuming he is going to Renualt.

#105 blackmme

blackmme

• 735 posts

Good bloody luck Daniel. He’s a terrific racing driver (with the emphasis on racing).

As a wise man once said “Sometimes you’ve got to lick the stamp and send it”

I really hope it works out for him.

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme, 03 August 2018 - 11:40.

#106 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,449 posts

He wanted money. Probably got double what Red Bull offered

#107 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:40

It's an outfit that has ultimately won as many WDCs as has Red Bull.

Personally I think it a smart move. Ferrari and Merc were clearly closed off and Red Bull-Honda isn't going to do much, is it?

#108 as65p

as65p

• 21,956 posts

Hulk's not #1 driver material to them anymore?

Rightly or wrongly, but I don't think Hülkenberg has ever been anyones no.1 driver in his career. Not in the Vettel-Alonso-Hamilton sense anyway.

#109 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,919 posts

Out of curiosity how similar is this to the ham to merc move? Cus at least to me it seems pretty similar - a driver from a almost best team going to join a team that's not quite there yet. I suppose merc had already won a race when ham had joined though? So renault is a bit less developed than merc and also there isn't massively new regs for the team to jump up the field in a year?

Hamilton's move was a bit different. McLaren appeared to be the quickest car when he left, while Red Bull appears to be out of contention for the near future. Ricciardo's move looks from the outside about less risky, although if we had known everything back then Hamilton's move made total sense.

#110 geralt

geralt

• 726 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:41

Ricciardo vs Hulkenberg will be one hell of a battle. I reckon Nico will blow some minds, especially when it comes to quali where I've always rated him very highly

#111 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,105 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:42

Nah, it's hard to top Alonso going to McLaren-Honda in 2015. Whatever Renault is in 2019, I'm sure they won't be that bad!

Except that Ferrari and Lotus dominated 1970 whereas Ferrari didn't dominate 2015.  I'll agree, though, that McLaren were bad in 2015, however, after initial wins with for Sir JYS in Ken Tyrell's private chassis, the 701 showed what an awful car it was, so much so that it was the inadequacy of March to show any ability to improve that prompted Ken Tyrell to produce his own cars.

Edited by cpbell, 03 August 2018 - 11:44.

#112 robefc

robefc

• 12,710 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:42

Out of curiosity how similar is this to the ham to merc move? Cus at least to me it seems pretty similar - a driver from a almost best team going to join a team that's not quite there yet. I suppose merc had already won a race when ham had joined though? So renault is a bit less developed than merc and also there isn't massively new regs for the team to jump up the field in a year?

It's hard to imagine Renault could provide the same sort of evidence that Merc were able to showed Lewis in terms of how they planned to get back to the front.

#113 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:43

Don't want to big myself up, but I predicted this a few months ago. It was widely reported that Renault tried hard to secure Ricciardo in return for the STR-Honda deal (with Sainz only being the second best choice) so they've clearly been fishing about for a while, and there's just been something that has felt a bit "off" about the Red Bull-Ricciardo relationship for a while now. Nothing particularly obvious, but it's seemed a bit on the cool side for a few months.

Can you walk me through the logic of that? What would Renault have to do with STR using the Honda engine? And why would that involve Ricciardo?

#114 as65p

as65p

• 21,956 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:45

Edit: Also Alonso should now go to Red Bull, if only because it seems to be about the only team on the grid he's never driven for. I'm saying this knowing this is bound to be wrong but srcew it, hit post.

:lol:  :up: 

We both know he won't go there (and Red Bull Honda will start winning soon) or alternatively he'll join them and Red Bull win win nothing for years to come. That's just the way it works, isn't it?

#115 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:45

Can you walk me through the logic of that? What would Renault have to do with STR using the Honda engine? And why would that involve Ricciardo?

No, I can't walk you through it as I'm not employed by any of these organisations. But it was reported.

Edited by wj_gibson, 03 August 2018 - 11:45.

#116 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,154 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:46

Ooft, surprising move!

Good luck to him, he saw the writing on the wall.

Renault best driver lineup on the grid.

Yep, Alonso to RBR now please. Although, maybe burned too many bridges at Honda? :lol:

Edited by SCUDmissile, 03 August 2018 - 11:48.

#117 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 897 posts

Jesus.... I really didn't expect that. Clearly fed up with unreliability and the prospect of Honda.

Good luck to him, but can't help but feel this is an 'Alonso' type decision.

You would think that seeing Max retiring in Hungary was the last drop for Daniel, but then what are his options, the works Renault team?

I fully agree with you! I don't trust Renault to deliver. That is of course, if he does join Renault (which isn't confirmed yet). Personally, I don't find this an improvement and I don't see Renault managing to take the fight to Ferrari or Mercedes any time soon. I'm not very excited, but I am excited to see who is gonna replace him at Red Bull. Gasly seems the most likely candidate, but Ocon would be a really cool surprise! Let's see...

#118 sopa

sopa

• 11,958 posts

Ricciardo vs Hulkenberg will be one hell of a battle. I reckon Nico will blow some minds, especially when it comes to quali where I've always rated him very highly

Yep. Finally we will get kind of an idea, how big a gulf there is between alleged five top drivers, and the rest. Because Hulk is considered to be one of the "best" of the rest.

I think over a season Ricciardo's racecraft and race pace consistency will win out, but qualifying battle may not be straightforward at all.

Also it remains to be seen, how much the minimum weight rule change could help Hulk.

#119 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,958 posts

GP2 engine, GP2 engine ... the return.

I want to see that movie! :D

Advertisement

#120 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 825 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:47

Because Toro Rosso were breaking their Renault contract in order for the McLaren/Toro Rosso swap to happen, and Renault wanted an incentive to make it worth their while. They needed a driver for 2018 and saw it as an opportunity to get a driver better than those otherwise available. The report was they wanted Ricciardo but settled for Sainz.

#121 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,945 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:47

It's hard to imagine Renault could provide the same sort of evidence that Merc were able to showed Lewis in terms of how they planned to get back to the front.

Its nothing like Lewis's move to Merc, it was pretty much common knowledge in the F1 world that Mercedes were ahead of the game for the upcoming new engines at the time a gamble yes, but not as much as Ricciardo's move.

Strong chance he may never win another grand prix again now unless he can get another one or two in with Red Bull first.

#122 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 1,783 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:48

I imagine there must be so many people that really want this to happen, but like when Rosberg left Mercedes, how likely really is it?

#123 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,577 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:48

Alonso: ''I ****ed up with joining McLaren''

Ricciardo: ''Hold my beer''

Remember when people thought Lewis leaving McLaren to join Mercedes was a mistake?

Let's just see. Renault have succeeded in F1 before, and there's no reason they can't again. Ricciardo's 29, he's still got time on his side.

#124 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,680 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:49

As it was reported at the time Toro Rosso had a contract with Renault to use their engines for 2018 but obviously Red Bull wanted to have Honda engines at STR for 2018 to evaluate it for a partnership between Red Bull and Honda for 2019. 

To be able to cancel their contract between STR and Renault in 2018 something needed to be offered Renault for them to accepting cancel the agreement. 

It was reported Renault wanted Ricciardo in return for 2018. Red Bull refused. 

Next offer was to take Sainz and place him in Renault already during mid season 2017 in replacement for Palmer and that was what happened. 

This is how it was reported during 2017. 

#125 Ospif1

Ospif1

• 262 posts

I honestly can't see Renault outperforming RBR until at least the 2021 reg change.  Ric v Hulk will be fun to watch though.

#126 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,179 posts

So Gasly or Ocon to Red Bull then?

#127 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,344 posts

I can´t see that happen after how he talked of Honda. 

#128 as65p

as65p

• 21,956 posts

I imagine there must be so many people that really want this to happen, but like when Rosberg left Mercedes, how likely really is it?

Not at all. Alonso and Helmut Marko, just think about that for 5 seconds.

#129 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,945 posts

zero chance. Red Bull have no interest in him, and Honda probably wouldn't recommend it either.  :lol:

#130 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:50

This one surprised me I have to say. Good for him to have the balls to make the move though, it was painfully obvious for a while now that Red Bull think of Max as their golden boy that can do no wrong and Daniel seems like the kind of guy that wasn't going to put up with it forever.

Renault though? Interesting move. Can sort of see the thinking behind it with people referencing Hamilton to Mercedes but unless I've missed something is there anything to suggest Renault are pouring everything into 2021 regulations that should put them anywhere near the top of the tree? Seems a bit of a leap into the unknown if there's no real promise of Renault becoming serious contenders.

Then again, works team, probably signs as unofficial number one (or equal status at the worst) and can lead a team heading into a new era. Hope it works out for him as he's WDC material in the right car.

#131 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:52

Kind of Dan to give us something to talk about over the summer break though  :up:

#132 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 576 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:53

Didn't see this coming. He must really like that Renault PU, no? I'd prefer he signed with Ferrari, though.

#133 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 515 posts

Ooft, surprising move!

Good luck to him, he saw the writing on the wall.

Renault best driver lineup on the grid.

Yep, Alonso to RBR now please. Although, maybe burned too many bridges at Honda? :lol:

Not so sure as no evidence suggest Hulk is any better then say Bottas.

#134 Chunkinator

Chunkinator

• 172 posts

I think red bull is the only top team that would even entertain the prospect of having alonso in a team with another top driver. So maybe slightly higher than 0% chance of it happening. And also they honestly do have a bit of a driver problem right now - Gasly seems to be their only option from within their camp as apparently the relationship between sainz and max is very poor. And there is questions if Gasly is ready for the main team (like with Kvyat). So basicially I can find reason to hope for alonso to red bull.

Edited by Chunkinator, 03 August 2018 - 11:55.

#135 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,577 posts

So Gasly or Ocon to Red Bull then?

How come Sainz seems to have been completely forgotten?

He's not having that bad of a year. 

#136 robefc

robefc

• 12,710 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:54

Its nothing like Lewis's move to Merc, it was pretty much common knowledge in the F1 world that Mercedes were ahead of the game for the upcoming new engines at the time a gamble yes, but not as much as Ricciardo's move.

Strong chance he may never win another grand prix again now unless he can get another one or two in with Red Bull first.

I agree with you in terms of the chance of success.

But it's exactly the same 'type' of move imo (if that makes sense?). Ric even talked about Lewis's move, can't remember if he mentioned Renault at the same time but context was pretty obvious.

#137 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,523 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:54

Has he actually confirmed to Renault? couldn't Mclaren be just as possible?

#138 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,105 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:55

I'd love to see it!

#139 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,413 posts

No, he has not been.

But would you leave Red Bull to join current McLaren?

Advertisement

#140 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,159 posts

Wow!

#141 Chunkinator

Chunkinator

• 172 posts

Lol that would be a fun plot twist after 3 pages of this thread  :drunk:

#142 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,680 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:56

Only 100 % confirmation today is that he is leaving Red Bull. 

#143 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,777 posts

Yup, I just read it there too and I believe him - this is exciting and reminds me of when a certain lad from Stevenage left a proven winner to join a Works Team with the promise of future improvements and everyone laughed at him - for the sake of the racing spectacle (it hurts seeing great drivers down the field, e.g Alonso) I hope this has the same fairytale ending...

All the best Daniel!  :up:

Yeah, this is a good gamble for Ricciardo. If he drives well at Renault but the team doesn't make steps forward, I doubt he'll lose much stock in future driver market cycles as everyone will remember him as a multiple race winner who beat Vettel and held his own against Verstappen. If the team does make steps forward, he can win races and be world champion.

The Ricciardo vs Hulkenberg contest will be fascinating, as will seeing how Dan will function as the obvious team leader. I've always thought there's something quite abrasive and ruthless beneath the surface with Dan, so it'll be interesting to see how he develops as one of F1's leading drivers.

#144 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,154 posts

Remember when people thought Lewis leaving McLaren to join Mercedes was a mistake?

Let's just see. Renault have succeeded in F1 before, and there's no reason they can't again. Ricciardo's 29, he's still got time on his side.

Exactly.

F1 fans know jack **** about how these moves work out.

Every time they think it's a bad move, and almost every time they end up with egg on their face.

Wouldn't be surprised if Renault now dominate after 2021 or something, bit there is every chance Ric can earn more wins with them and even WDC

They are a works team, and that's where you want to be.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 03 August 2018 - 11:56.

#145 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 4,668 posts

It seems to me that Ricciardo really didn't like what she saw in Honda's numbers and Toro Rosso's reliability woes. What an unexpected decision. I'd understand it if this was Verstappen as he is still younger and could survive a bad career move, but Ricciardo, being 29, takes the bullet here. It's almost Hülkenberg route unless Renault has managed to build a beast of an engine or promised to be on top come 2012. Still, this is a huge gamble, dropping one of the best chassis on the grid for a mid-tier team. Perplexing.

#146 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,179 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:57

How come Sainz seems to have been completely forgotten?

He's not having that bad of a year. 

Well going off the Red Bull history, They like to take the best drivers they can get.

Sainz has been outperformed by Hulkenberg. Yes albeit marginally but he has been beaten.

Also Sainz and Verstappen as a team would be very hard to handle. They didn't get along at Toro Rosso.

Not ruling it out but I wouldn't put Sainz as favourite to take the seat.

#147 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,958 posts

Barring a surprise move away from the team, I guess Nico "forever the bridesmaid when it comes to top seats" Hulkenberg may be relishing the opportunity to show the front end of the grid what he can do vs Dan. He's got an opportunity to really solidify some of the hype around him, if he can match or beat Dan.

Or he may be seriously cheesed off that the team has felt the need to recruit at this sort of level, and potentially even more cheesed off if there's a big pay disparity.

Who knows. But it's a team line up I'm looking forward to seeing.

#148 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

to be fair people said the same about Lewis to Merc 'he'll never win another race etc'.

There are always some Debbie Downers, but let's not forget Mercedes already won in 2012, snatched a pole, and took multiple podiums. They were clearly on the up since acquiring the team, and with 2014 looming, Ross Brawn at the head of the business - it was a worthwhile gamble. A gamble, because nobody could predict 2014, but a reasonable one. Also let's not forget McLaren wasn't exactly covering itself in glory, and, crucially, was also using a Mercedes engine.

Anyway, Renault has also been improving - but the gap to the top is still large. If Ricciardo does indeed go there, I hope they start improving even faster because if Red Bull-Honda doesn't immediately go to winning races, the gap behind the two top teams and the midfield could become disastrously big.

Edited by Nonesuch, 03 August 2018 - 11:58.

#149 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,523 posts

I'm guessing Gasly as front runner for the RB slot.B

But this is like Vettel leaving RB, they do have a two top drivers now which have left them.

#150 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,179 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:58

Yep.

Principal Christian Horner said: "We fully respect Daniel's decision to leave Aston Martin Red Bull Racing and we wish him all the best in his future. We would like to thank him for his dedication and the role he has played since joining the Team in 2014, the highlights of course being the seven wins and the 29 podiums he has achieved so far with us.

'"We will now continue to evaluate the numerous options available to us before deciding on which driver partners Max Verstappen for the 2019 season. In the meantime, there are still nine races left in 2018 and we are fully focused on maximising every opportunity for Max and Daniel for the remainder of the season."'