* * * * - 2 votes

Ricciardo joins Renault

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2708 replies to this topic

#2351 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,374 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 21:02

Coming to this a little late, but you do realise that a doubling would be a) a 100% increase, not the 50% stated, and b) staff count of 940, not the 700 stated.

They've made a significant increase, yes, but to say "double" is overstating it by about ... double! ( :p)

Yeah you are correct going by that article but I have heard figures starting at around 400 staff when they took over from Lotus increasing to anywhere from 700-800 now so not that far off double then is it.

"The team has been heavily reinforced in every sector, so much so that the team is now closer to that of the top teams with over 800 employees (without the drivers)."

https://it.motorspor...-turbo/4317992/

Regardless like you said the changes are still significant. That article also states the following

"Renault has been doubling the size of its composites facility at Enstone over the summer break, an expansion that will alleviate a delay in producing parts."

Edited by gowebber, 03 January 2019 - 01:39.

Advertisement

#2352 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,374 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 21:07

Gowebber is just very enthusiastic. :D

Yes that was an oversight (going off that article alone), not like you haven't made one before. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm tho especially with everything happening at the moment. I'm certainly not alone on that front.  Better than being pessimistic.    ;)

Edited by gowebber, 02 January 2019 - 23:13.

#2353 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,374 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:46

Ricciardo’s plan to move Renault up the order

"When asked what he expected to achieve in the next season, Ricciardo said: “I want more from myself in terms of I’ll always want more, I expect more from my presence in the team,”

“And have a presence in the team and be another source of push and fire and motivation.

“I guess I’m just expecting to carry good work ethic and to bring the people around us to work on what they have.

“Obviously the driving I will always keep improving, but just try to figure out how to bring the team to the next level.

“Just be engaged in the whole process I guess and not get lazy.” 

https://grandpx.news...ove-renault-up/

Edited by gowebber, 03 January 2019 - 01:49.

#2354 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,248 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:10

Genuine excitement from Abiteboul. First I actually believe it is (somewhat) true.

Source: Autosport+

"If I look, what I see is an acceleration everywhere," he said. "The gains that we will be making on the engine are much bigger than we have ever done in a [previous] winter - much bigger. And the gains that we are currently doing in the windtunnel are much bigger than we have ever done.

#2355 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 4,905 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:49

I hope it’s true. The closer the competition in F1 the better.

#2356 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,374 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:20

Interesting to see how much Dan can bring across from Red Bull that will help Renault besides just driving out on track.

"Hulkenberg expects Ricciardo to spill the beans on Red Bull"

http://f1i.com/news/...n-red-bull.html

Edited by gowebber, 04 January 2019 - 09:20.

#2357 RobG

RobG

• 854 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:36

Interesting to see how much Dan can bring across from Red Bull that will help Renault besides just driving out on track.

"Hulkenberg expects Ricciardo to spill the beans on Red Bull"

http://f1i.com/news/...n-red-bull.html

I don't think we're gonna see anything of that. Teams aren't too open about what they've 'learnt' from other teams, too bad as I always enjoy the technical part of F1.

But yeah, Cyril sounds pretty excited, even if we take into account his general overpromise and underdeliver tactics, there should still be some decent progress left.

#2358 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,491 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 14:45

Genuine excitement from Abiteboul. First I actually believe it is (somewhat) true.

Source: Autosport+

Sounds good.  I think Renault will be a fairly certain 4th WCC, but if they can occasionally beat Red Bull (or even the top 2 teams) on merit on the race track, that would be a good job well done. :) 

Maybe Renault can score one or two podium finishes in 2019?  :D  

#2359 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,374 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 15:04

Interesting Mark Hughes saying Merc didn't want two number ones in the team which would have been pretty much the scenario had Ricciardo joined. The Rosberg-Hamilton fireworks previously influenced this as well.

"MPH: How Rosberg led Ricciardo to Renault"

https://www.motorspo...cciardo-renault

So much for no interest from either Merc or Ferrari, seems like another case of not wanting to rock the boat with another top flight driver in the team. Hope Dan has success with Renault, would be pretty rewarding coming from this far back.

--------------------------------------------------

More on what Requiem mentioned earlier..

"Renault says the gains it is seeing from its 2019 Formula 1 car and engine are the biggest it has ever made over a winter."

"But if I look at our capacity to engineer, to develop, design and manufacture, it is an acceleration everywhere."

Abiteboul thinks that the impact of the investment and restructuring that has been undertaken since Renault took over at Enstone is now finally paying off, which is why good improvements are being made.

"The car we have been operating this year is more or less a representation of where the team was 18 months ago," he said.

"There will be one or two generations of people who will have passed with the next generation of car that we will see next year, and that is frankly is why I am excited.

"We have a level of resource that is in my opinion good for what we need to do.

"There is stability of the organisation, there are new people and new faces that have finally joined us, and who understand the organisation, and are now working efficiently.

"So now it is positive, even if the challenge is huge."

https://www.motorspo...istory/4319231/

Edited by gowebber, 04 January 2019 - 15:15.

Advertisement

#2360 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 687 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 15:05

Sounds good.  I think Renault will be a fairly certain 4th WCC, but if they can occasionally beat Red Bull (or even the top 2 teams) on merit on the race track, that would be a good job well done. :)

Maybe Renault can score one or two podium finishes in 2019?  :D  

First they need to make sure that they wont have the worst power unit in 2019. And with Racing Point's trippled budget, Sauber rennaisance, Haas wit some Ferrari data and a chance of McLaren and Williams finally getting their **** together i dont see them fighting for P4 this year.

#2361 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,248 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 15:11

I predicted 2 podiums for Ricciardo this year and I'm also tempted to increase this wager.

A lot of sounds coming from everywhere that Renault is making massive strides on both the engine and chassis side. Not only from Cyril.. so must be some credibility this time.

If the Renault gains 50hp like rumored... that would be around 0,6-0,8 second a lap alone easily. Couple that in with some chassis progress, some expected unreliability from RB Honda.. and you might get the odd podium.

#2362 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,264 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 15:15

Let's hope the increase in performance comes with reliability.

#2363 mwf1

mwf1

• 839 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 16:08

Cyril sounds really excited maybe this was what tempted Ricciardo i read same article not second hand news from a reporter instead straight from the horses mouth as the saying goeshttp://www.gptoday.c...e_biggest_ever/

#2364 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,558 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:18

It wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be real, you don't sign a driver on a $20M contract unless you think you're ready to feel the benefit of it.

#2365 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,918 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 20:03

Is it 50bhp from their spec b or the spec C Red Bull was running?

#2366 Shakengandulf

Shakengandulf

• 106 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:08

This sounds very encouraging.

#2367 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:31

I predicted 2 podiums for Ricciardo this year and I'm also tempted to increase this wager.

A lot of sounds coming from everywhere that Renault is making massive strides on both the engine and chassis side. Not only from Cyril.. so must be some credibility this time.

If the Renault gains 50hp like rumored... that would be around 0,6-0,8 second a lap alone easily. Couple that in with some chassis progress, some expected unreliability from RB Honda.. and you might get the odd podium.

I'm not very optimistic that Renault will score podium finishes in 2019 but I hope they at least cut the gap to the top three and don't get lapped during races. Budkowski says they are targeting 2021 as the year they compete for wins and championships, so maintaining 4th in the constructors this season and fighting for podiums in 2020 would be a good result imho.

#2368 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,114 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:50

I'm not very optimistic that Renault will score podium finishes in 2019 but I hope they at least cut the gap to the top three and don't get lapped during races. Budkowski says they are targeting 2021 as the year they compete for wins and championships, so maintaining 4th in the constructors this season and fighting for podiums in 2020 would be a good result imho.

Definitely hope for progress, but it would be a bit sad if they make a step forward that would put them right in the no-mans-land... That basically means they´ll be driving arround for a guaranteed 7th and 8th...?

#2369 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,439 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:57

Definitely hope for progress, but it would be a bit sad if they make a step forward that would put them right in the no-mans-land... That basically means they´ll be driving arround for a guaranteed 7th and 8th...?

That's what I've been expecting of them for a while.

#2370 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,193 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:58

Are you suggesting they shouldn't progress too much and would be better off battling furthur back if they can't fight at the front?

#2371 baddog

baddog

• 26,909 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:00

Being unquestioned 4th team means some podiums and is a big step forwards.

#2372 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,797 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:03

Interestingly Ricciardo confirms he had direct negotiations with Mercedes. Curious considering many claiming he never got any contact from those teams. This explains a lot of Hamilton's messages to him in press conferences during the season.

Edited by RPM40, 04 January 2019 - 22:04.

#2373 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,918 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:05

Are you suggesting they shouldn't progress too much and would be better off battling furthur back if they can't fight at the front?

I can’t speak for her/him but I think they are just saying they want them to make a big enough step to fight the top teams, it’s been a long 5 years of waiting lol

Edited by Danyy, 04 January 2019 - 22:06.

#2374 eREr

eREr

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:40

Abiteboul is a clown, he is always wrong, Renault will go backwards, they were crap in the last 5 years, so they must be crap also in this and the coming year(s). Simple logic, change is impossible. ;)

#2375 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,264 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:45

Interestingly Ricciardo confirms he had direct negotiations with Mercedes. Curious considering many claiming he never got any contact from those teams. This explains a lot of Hamilton's messages to him in press conferences during the season.

I knew talks would take a bit of time probably,” he said, “and, trying to feel each other out, but it got to June/July and maybe we had spoken a few times and we hadn’t really got anywhere

That doesn’t really sound like negotiating to me, just talks. There are talks between (management of) drivers and teams all the time.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 04 January 2019 - 22:47.

#2376 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,797 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:48

That doesn’t really sound like negotiating to me, just talks. There are talks between (management of) drivers and teams all the time.

Talks are negotiating. Its at the very least interest, which shows why he held out. 

#2377 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,264 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:03

Talks are negotiating. Its at the very least interest, which shows why he held out.

Interest from who? By the looks of it Dan’s management started the ‘talks’. “Maybe we had spoken a few times and we hadn’t really got anywhere” doesn’t sound like negotiations to me anyway.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 04 January 2019 - 23:04.

#2378 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,718 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:05

What kind of messages?

#2379 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,114 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:06

No?

I am saying, that I would prefer them to leap to the front. I enjoyed the midfield battle this season, and Renault now making half a step would mean that they land right between the top teams and the rest and I think that would make it less enjoyable to watch/follow.

Advertisement

#2380 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:20

What kind of messages?

I can't speak for RPM40 but he may be referring to Hamilton's comments back in June/July when he said Dan had no options other than staying at Red Bull and that Dan would not get a seat at Mercedes or Ferrari. Hamilton obviously rates Dan as top tier so maybe having two roosters in one team would cause headaches. Fair enough imho considering the friction that developed when Lewis was partnered with Rosberg. Better to have a solid #2 like Bottas instead.

https://www.autospor...ptions-for-2019

And to Hamilton's credit he later applauded Dan for taking the risk with Renault, just like he did when he moved to Mercedes and many pundits believed he'd made a big mistake. But then again I think Dan has a tougher task ahead of him considering Renault has failed to catch up with Mercedes after 5 years of the V6T era.

https://au.motorspor...-risk-/3164265/

I think Dan has two paths available. One is to play the long game and hope Renault come good, the other is to outperform Hulk and hope a seat at Merc or Ferrari opens up come 2021.

Edited by DILLIGAF, 05 January 2019 - 05:27.

#2381 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,214 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:41

First they need to make sure that they wont have the worst power unit in 2019. And with Racing Point's trippled budget, Sauber rennaisance, Haas wit some Ferrari data and a chance of McLaren and Williams finally getting their **** together i dont see them fighting for P4 this year.

Where do you get this fantasy Racing Point has tripled its budget?

#2382 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,209 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:53

Cyril sounds really excited maybe this was what tempted Ricciardo i read same article not second hand news from a reporter instead straight from the horses mouth as the saying goeshttp://www.gptoday.c...e_biggest_ever/

I wouldn't believe Cyril until I actually see the results for real in a race/qualifying. It's the same almost every year how Renault have made gains during winter only for it to still be a lemon and lagging behind the other manufacturers. Also, even if there is a massive power increase, it's no good if it keeps breaking down.

Renault should have kicked Cyril to the curb and let Vasseur take the reigns instead.

#2383 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:17

The stopwatch will tell the truth. Until then it's just the usual hot air coming from Renault/Cyril.

#2384 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:27

I wouldn't believe Cyril until I actually see the results for real in a race/qualifying. It's the same almost every year how Renault have made gains during winter only for it to still be a lemon and lagging behind the other manufacturers. Also, even if there is a massive power increase, it's no good if it keeps breaking down.

Renault should have kicked Cyril to the curb and let Vasseur take the reigns instead.

It's possible to make gains but have those gains matched by your competitors and stay in the same place on the grid.

#2385 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 516 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:40

Being unquestioned 4th team means some podiums and is a big step forwards.

If half of the 6 cars infront of you fail to finish, yes.

#2386 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:48

If half of the 6 cars in front of you fail to finish, you will still not be on the podium.

#2387 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,380 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:14

If half of the 6 cars in front of you fail to finish, you will still not be on the podium.

Well, doesn't that depends on fact if Bottas is still one of the driving cars or not?  :rotfl:  (Just kidding @Bottas.)

#2388 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,136 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:27

Those Bhp gains CA is talking about and that "big number of kilowatts" Brawn talked about will be available on the track in 2019 because Viry actually delivers what they promise power-wise almost every season. Even Horner acknowledge that atleast during the 2016, 2017 and 2018 winter testing sessions... But let's hope that those gains will be much bigger,this time, than what Merc and Ferrari will find.

I hope the gains are bigger than Honda's too and that Marko will cut the BS and those ludicrous claims about the 2018 Honda against the Renault

Prost and some journos are very positive too...

Reliability got better this year (I mean 2018) and CA wasnt completely wrong this time.

And if Brown says Renault will be in the ballpark, that number must be bigger than 38kw/50hp   :stoned:

Edited by Alburaq, 07 January 2019 - 08:29.

#2389 Laster

Laster

• 1,821 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:22

Prost saying encouraging things is a bit more meaningful to me than CA, and gives a little more weight to claims their making good progress. I don’t think CA is quite as bad as many seem to believe though, I think he generally has a problem underestimating his competitors rather than overestimating Renaults advances.

#2390 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,423 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:39

Now that Ghosn is out of the picture, I wonder how secure Cyril's position may be in the future...

#2391 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:55

Those Bhp gains CA is talking about and that "big number of kilowatts" Brawn talked about will be available on the track in 2019 because Viry actually delivers what they promise power-wise almost every season. Even Horner acknowledge that atleast during the 2016, 2017 and 2018 winter testing sessions... But let's hope that those gains will be much bigger,this time, than what Merc and Ferrari will find.

I hope the gains are bigger than Honda's too and that Marko will cut the BS and those ludicrous claims about the 2018 Honda against the Renault

Prost and some journos are very positive too...

Reliability got better this year (I mean 2018) and CA wasnt completely wrong this time.

And if Brown says Renault will be in the ballpark, that number must be bigger than 38kw/50hp   :stoned:

Really? More than once, half a second was promised with an update, only to end up with less reliability, drivability and less gain than promised.

#2392 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,374 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 13:42

Renault were absolutely stoked to get Ricciardo. Sounds like he should be a popular lad there with everyone.

"Reflecting on the signing of Ricciardo, Abiteboul said that the way his team's factories in England and France reacted to the news harked back to the French car manufacturer's glory years with Alonso in 2005 and 2006.

"It was obviously a huge relief, fantastic news – and the way it was welcomed in the factories at Viry and Enstone was just amazing," Abiteboul told Motorsport.com.

"I was expecting something, but nothing in relation to what I have been able to witness."

"It was a fantastic moment. I have never seen a reaction like that in either of the two factories. It was reminding me of the titles with Fernando Alonso in 2005 and 2006.

https://www.motorspo...-years/4320229/

Edited by gowebber, 07 January 2019 - 13:47.

#2393 A3

A3

• 28,702 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 14:24

Wow, quite the pressure on his shoulders. He'd better outperform the Hulk!

#2394 pRy

pRy

• 15,523 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 18:30

I hate only using a smiley to sum up how I feel about a headline. But on this occasion...  :rotfl:

#2395 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,380 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 18:55

Renault were absolutely stoked to get Ricciardo. Sounds like he should be a popular lad there with everyone.

"Reflecting on the signing of Ricciardo, Abiteboul said that the way his team's factories in England and France reacted to the news harked back to the French car manufacturer's glory years with Alonso in 2005 and 2006.[/size]
"It was obviously a huge relief, fantastic news – and the way it was welcomed in the factories at Viry and Enstone was just amazing," Abiteboul told Motorsport.com.

"I was expecting something, but nothing in relation to what I have been able to witness."
"It was a fantastic moment. I have never seen a reaction like that in either of the two factories. It was reminding me of the titles with Fernando Alonso in 2005 and 2006.

He names the reasons I had start of the year as reasoning, besides one, but of course he can't say that. But they needed a proven GP winner. You need to know if it's the drivers or the car that is lacking. And now RBR is gone as benchmark, Ricciardo was best thing they could do for the team.

They first wanted to sign Sainz but RBR didn't wanted that for some reason. How much worse would they look with Sainz instead of Ric. It's a huge difference. In result we will never know, but inside team, press, expectations, etc. Would be far less and worse than now with Ric.

The positivity result isn't calculable, but the chance people in factory do just that little extra their best or put free/extra time in it is very big and can for instance result their investment in Ric. earned back very fast because they now can join top 3, while just with other driver, other atmosphere, less investment (in driver and others. Because Ric. They can justify and lobby higher budget easier imo.), slightly less motivated/hopeful, etc. Top 3 would not be in reach. We don't know it will be now, but without Ric. I doubt anyone would expect it while now, who knows? And for sure hope they will join top 3, like McLaren, but they won't make all big steps. A month to go before first rollouts, can't wait to see who made big steps and who didn't.

#2396 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,797 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 20:24

Certainly promising signals being thrown around. If the engine is that much of a boost that will really elevate the team.

#2397 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 21:48

Prost saying encouraging things is a bit more meaningful to me than CA, and gives a little more weight to claims their making good progress. I don’t think CA is quite as bad as many seem to believe though, I think he generally has a problem underestimating his competitors rather than overestimating Renaults advances.

Agree. Renault have made gains each season but so have Mercedes and Ferrari. Cyril should be mentioning that fact when he comments about Renault's gains. Hopefully the law of diminishing returns some pundits talk about actually kicks in, slowing Mercedes' and Ferrari's progress and Renault (Honda too) do actually catch up.

Edited by DILLIGAF, 07 January 2019 - 21:49.

#2398 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,209 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 21:52

"Reflecting on the signing of Ricciardo, Abiteboul said that the way his team's factories in England and France reacted to the news harked back to the French car manufacturer's glory years with Alonso in 2005 and 2006.

Pressure much? Starting a new job, people talk you up and now you have to perform.

#2399 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 21:57

Now that Ghosn is out of the picture, I wonder how secure Cyril's position may be in the future...

Surely Cyril will be on thin ice if the gap to Merc and Ferrari remains the same this season. At some point he'll lose all credibility if he keeps making claims that aren't backed up with results.

Advertisement

#2400 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 22:15

Wow, quite the pressure on his shoulders. He'd better outperform the Hulk!

True. Dan will have his hands full outperforming Hulk imho. And with the increase in minimum driver weight to 80kg Hulk won't have the disadvantage he's had in the past. I think Dan will handle the pressure though. Anyone who has successfully come through the Red Bull program under Marko would know exactly what pressure and expectation is all about.

Cyril will also have quite the pressure on his shoulders after saying "We really feel now this obligation to come up with an engine and a chassis that will be capable of giving what that guy deserves."

Edited by DILLIGAF, 07 January 2019 - 22:17.