* * * * - 2 votes

Ricciardo joins Renault

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2708 replies to this topic

#2401 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 2,918 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 22:16

Pressure much? Starting a new job, people talk you up and now you have to perform.

That's why he will be by far be best paid team member. Pressure is just justified, I would see it more as positive compliment and trust. It's just from which side you look at it I think.

Advertisement

#2402 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,277 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 22:58

That's why he will be by far be best paid team member. Pressure is just justified, I would see it more as positive compliment and trust. It's just from which side you look at it I think.

Precisely why Renault got rid of that dull as dishwater Sainz. Whether he will get the better of the Hulk remains to be seen. Roll on Adelaide!

#2403 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 00:37

Pressure much? Starting a new job, people talk you up and now you have to perform.

Just as much pressure if not more on Renault to give Dan a good car. Will be a good test for everyone and hopefully they all step up. The atmosphere sounds like it will be good though and hopefully Dan joining will spur everyone on to work even harder!

#2404 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:06

Yep also true. I just see it as more downside to it for DR in the long term if he doesnt deliver. All will play out next year. Here is hoping Renault make decent gains next year on the top three so it is less of a F1, F1.5 formula.

#2405 Reddington

Reddington

• 386 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:40

I think Dan will deal with the pressure just fine. He seems to thrive on it. Actually, I don't even think the pressure is much, if any, higher than at RBR. There is way more chance that the team isn't performing to the level Dan is at, than that Dan would not be performing up to the level they would require. And I really think he is relishing the role of team leader. The whole "pressure" debate is a non issue in my opinion.

#2406 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:00

2014 was much more pressure.

He had a 4xWDC across the garage from him strongly established as the King in the team.

If he merely did a Bottas and did just enough to keep his seat, his ceiling would forever be perceived as a good no2.

That year was career defining and he nailed it.

#2407 RobG

RobG

• 824 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:08

2014 was much more pressure.

He had a 4xWDC across the garage from him strongly established as the King in the team.

If he merely did a Bottas and did just enough to keep his seat, his ceiling would forever be perceived as a good no2.

Actually I doubt that. It was his first year in a top team and he was competing with a 4 times WDC. I doubt anyone expected him to beat Vettel, or that it would have been career defining if he hadn't beaten Vettel. By beating Vettel, Ricciardo made it career defining, but if he hadn't I reckon he still would have had some chances to show he was a top tier driver. 

I don't think that year was the particularly high-pressure. Perhaps he had imposed the pressure on himself, but I doubt that came from RBR.

I think that the last three years came with a lot more pressure, and I doubt that Ricciardo will have any problems with the pressure at Renault. Most of it will be self-imposed anyway, he has to beat Hulk if he ever wants to get a chance for a WDC, which I believe is still his main target in F1.

Edited by RobG, 08 January 2019 - 08:10.

#2408 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 4,860 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:17

I think this year is his career defining year.

Crush Hulk and get some standout results: he might get a seat in either Ferrari or Mercedes in 2020 or 2021.

Lose out to Hulk or beat him only just, and Ricciardo’s career might not progress.

That is ultimate pressure.

#2409 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 606 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:22

I think Dan will deal with the pressure just fine. He seems to thrive on it. Actually, I don't even think the pressure is much, if any, higher than at RBR. There is way more chance that the team isn't performing to the level Dan is at, than that Dan would not be performing up to the level they would require. And I really think he is relishing the role of team leader. The whole "pressure" debate is a non issue in my opinion.

But he cant deal with the pressure. Thats the issue. Thats why he wont be driving the Red Bull in 2019. Hes choosen the easy way out to save his F1 career. If he will beat Hulk constantly (which I dont think will be the case) he might have a chance at the top team in 2021. Had he stayed at Red Bull and got badly beaten by Verstappen yet again his shot at the top team would be gone forever

#2410 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:16

But he cant deal with the pressure. Thats the issue. Thats why he wont be driving the Red Bull in 2019. Hes choosen the easy way out to save his F1 career. If he will beat Hulk constantly (which I dont think will be the case) he might have a chance at the top team in 2021. Had he stayed at Red Bull and got badly beaten by Verstappen yet again his shot at the top team would be gone forever

Are you serious? Surely not.

#2411 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,240 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:27

But he cant deal with the pressure. Thats the issue...

Monaco 2018 says hi.

#2412 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,145 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:37

Just as much pressure on hulk to perform really. They are prwtty much all under pressure, every year really, not much has changed.

#2413 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,369 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 13:40

I agree, yet many have now relegated Ricciardo back down to a 2nd tier driver anyway, based on his inability to comprehensively outperform Verstappen.  :well:

What if, Ricciardo cannot beat Hulkenberg comprehensively?  That would be a disaster for Ricciardo and a boon for Hulkenberg.

I guess, hope, that Ricciardo will be well clear (at least 2-3 tenths on average) over Hulkenberg, but there is always the risk: what if, he is not!  :eek:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 08 January 2019 - 13:41.

#2414 Zilbert

Zilbert

• 508 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 15:35

I agree, yet many have now relegated Ricciardo back down to a 2nd tier driver anyway, based on his inability to comprehensively outperform Verstappen:well:

What if, Ricciardo cannot beat Hulkenberg comprehensively?  That would be a disaster for Ricciardo and a boon for Hulkenberg.

I guess, hope, that Ricciardo will be well clear (at least 2-3 tenths on average) over Hulkenberg, but there is always the risk: what if, he is not!  :eek:

He was unable to match Verstappen most of the time. Even if he ends up beating Hulk, there will still be questions where does he stack up against the very best.

#2415 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 340 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 15:57

I agree, yet many have now relegated Ricciardo back down to a 2nd tier driver anyway, based on his inability to comprehensively outperform Verstappen.  :well:

I don't see Daniel making a gain of 2-3 tenths. Hulkenberg is stronger then he get credit for. Who knows maybe because he now has a strong teammate he will improve just like daniel did when verstappe came by.

#2416 A3

A3

• 28,307 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 16:11

Roll on Adelaide!

:drunk:

#2417 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 23:41

Well that is silly. I think it is obvious Verstappen will be up there with Senna, Schumacher etc when all is said and done, and Dan was very competitive with him.

I don't understand how he can't be considered one of the best of the current generation based on that.

The guy got 2 wins and 2 poles in the 3rd quickest car with more than half of his races destroyed by reliability. He's top tier.

#2418 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,975 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 00:25

Well that is silly. I think it is obvious Verstappen will be up there with Senna, Schumacher etc when all is said and done, and Dan was very competitive with him.

I don't understand how he can't be considered one of the best of the current generation based on that.

The guy got 2 wins and 2 poles in the 3rd quickest car with more than half of his races destroyed by reliability. He's top tier.

Only a top tier driver could have brought the RB14 home still in 1st place with all those problems and with Seb breathing down thier neck in the Ferrari in Monaco last year, would have been very easy to bin it in those circumstances. Also just on Dan's overtaking skills alone you could rate him top tier. Its nonsense to suggest he isn't and many F1 ex drivers and experts agree with this.  Don't know anyone that could comprehensively outperform Max he is that good. Last season was muddied by all Dan's DNF's anyway. After Monaco he never got any continuity because of those issues to get on any sort of a roll or perform at his best.

Anyway back to the topic this is the most exciting time in ages for Renault and the anticipation is sky high for a vast improvement in 2019. Lets hope its true. If anyone can wring the neck out of an F1 car and put it further up the grid than is normally possible Dan is certainly one of very few. Roll on "Melbourne" 

Edited by gowebber, 09 January 2019 - 12:28.

#2419 Cliff

Cliff

• 709 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:49

Dan is top tier. I rate him higher than Vettel.
Coming from a Max fan.

Edited by Cliff, 09 January 2019 - 22:56.

Advertisement

#2420 RA2

RA2

• 1,047 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:00

So no more 1956c721074fd81.jpg

#2421 sopa

sopa

• 11,433 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 17:28

The pressure debate is a bit over-the-top. You have real pressure on you, when the championship is on the line in the final races (a few drivers have cracked), or if your job is on the line (Ocon cracked in Brazil). Anything else is business as usual.

#2422 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 20:00

Budowski

Daniel is a super enthusiastic person who will push the team. He will impose his motivation by his personality, his speed, but also because he believes in the project. It's an amazing boost. We know what we have in preparation and that's what we sold him: this is what we do, this is what we're going to do, this is what we do well, this is what we do not good. "We are here, we want to get there, do you want to be part of the adventure?" That's the question we asked him. He took that risk, as Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton actually took it before him because they did not arrive in teams that were winning. His satisfaction will be all the greater if the coming years prove him right. It's another thing to arrive in a stable that is already winning. I think he was seduced by this prospect and, concerning us, so much the better if it puts us an extra pressure to get out the car that will allow him to shine.

#2423 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 727 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 20:55

I'm afraid that he won't be having a shot at the title until he joins Ferrari or Mercedes, but I still look forward to see him race, regardless for which team! He is such a spectacular driver to watch.

#2424 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:09

I presume this interview was done late last year and is talking about this year and not 2020.

Ricciardo will take Renault to "another dimension" - Prost

"But for sure Daniel will give, not another motivation because we don't need that, but he's going to be quite a big help to make the team even better.

"He's going to give us some information, he's going to make the team in another dimension."

"So in fact we've done exactly what we wanted to do so far. Now the next step is next season to be closer to the top teams."

"It's really difficult to make one more step to where they are. One thing that is difficult to accept sometimes is that especially Ferrari and Mercedes made a big improvement with the engine. So we had to move, and we're really moving for next year." 

Edited by gowebber, 10 January 2019 - 21:12.

#2425 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,022 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:46

I'm afraid that he won't be having a shot at the title until he joins Ferrari or Mercedes, but I still look forward to see him race, regardless for which team! He is such a spectacular driver to watch.

Yeah, Ferrari and Mercedes will stay at the top forever. No one will beat them...

#2426 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 2,918 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:30

All this up-talk can boomerang on Ricciardo and team back if he's outperformed by Hulkenberg or the Car isn't good. These quotes (from the team) come also somewhat disrespectful over towards Hulkenberg imo. that could lead to frictions and frustration. Where Ricciardo fan's where "suspicious" (rightfully imo.) about quotes from Horner etc., it's than logic and normal same would now count for Hulkenberg and his team and fan's. 

The differences between the drivers is that small. Unless you are one of the ultra-talents (WDC winners), the level of the other 15/17 is imo. quite similar. Not all of them, but some for sure would have got the results Ricciardo got in same circumstances (imo).

Past year Q performance is hard to judge and i don't expect his Q performance won't be at the top level he always has been. Past year we just can't fair judge because small Q history from Max to go on to judge how good he is in Q. If Max is the Q king, Ricciardo performed good. Is Max a average Q driver, than Ricciardo's Q wasn't good and would be troubling.  But, with the Poles and win's and Q history of Ricciardo and pre season focusing on Q performance i expect his overall Q performance level will be at the top of the field and a hard teammate to beat over a season.

His Start and first lap performance and speed of overtaking (too long behind slower car's) last year does make me worry (if they stay in midfield and don't join top 3). I also fear that the new wider front wing will have more (out of control) risk of damage or flat tires and that midfield will have much more risk of that than frontrunners. 

I think best would be if Renault can Qualify often on 3rd row or better. But if Renault and other's can't hope for anything better than 4th Q row, than it's going to be a hard season. If the top 3 has a clear Q advantage, they most likely will have a higher race speed also, just like past years. Than the top 3/6 are often within a couple laps double dozen seconds (free pitstop) in front of p7/12. You will be dependent on dnf's frontrunners for big results, doesn't matter how good you are, it's just a other league. 

If there is a same split top 3 and rest like past years, Renault has some tuff competitors to outperform. They should be able to do so, but it's not a forgiven conclusion and would be silly to see those teams not as competitors.

- Haas, 4th year, more experience, good last season speed wise, so good date to work further on. 2 experience drivers, but very inconstant, i rate Renault driver pair stronger.

- Sauber, % wise biggest in season gain past year. Seems to have money and plan. One rookie and one Veteran ex-wdc driver, i rate Renault driver pair stronger.

- RPFI, for years a strong midfield team should be expected to be up their again. Has funding and ambition. Likely 2 solid drivers, but has to be proven yet and rated far less than Renault driver line-up by me.

- McLaren, Williams and STR are all 3 possible dangerous outsiders. McLaren could build better car, Williams could profit Kubica and Mercedes help, STR could profit if Honda performs better than expected.

Like last year some McLaren fan's where sure they would be 4th best team and challenge for podiums and wins, and came hard way too the reality, i wouldn't place my expectations and hope to high. 

- I think there is a bigger chance different top 3 and the rest stay's relative similar than that one or 2 teams join the top 3. (i do hope the later one of course).

- Like always there will be some "shuffle" between strength/performance mid teams, but it's more likely some will have relative similar strength/performance level than that one team is significant better than the others. Both have their cons, same level is risks on track, better level is boring nowhere's land and no real in-season development need and justification. 

- What if RBR/Honda turns out to be a true WDC/WCC candidate and winning races/podiums on merit whole season long. Could that have a impact on him, after GP weekend, unwittingly knowing (or reporters reminding him on it) you could have been in that race/WDC winning car?

They could join top 3 and fight legit for podiums and win's, we don't know yet right? And we all would hope they will. But, i wouldn't foresee and expect that as only and/or most logic scenario.

#2427 balage06

balage06

• 850 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 13:55

Is Ric on gardening leave or something btw? He still appears as a RB driver on social media, on his website... etc.

#2428 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,022 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 15:25

Renault would have beaten those teams (Haas, STR, FI etc) more easily in 2018 if they've built a really new car IMO... but they've chosen to build a conservative evolution of the 2017 car and limit the developpement program a bit... and maybe they've underestimated their competitors too.
Like Budkowski and Prost recently said... 2019 was in their mind early on... and 2021 too...

We are not in the immediate result, we are still rebuilding the team. We could have done better last year if the short term had been our goal, but it is to build a team able to be world champion that interests us.

"But we wanted to be fourth, or the best after the top three, and we wanted to be closer to them. It's very difficult to manage that, because we took a decision to prepare for next season in the best way, not to develop too much, especially around the engine.
"So in fact we've done exactly what we wanted to do so far. Now the next step is next season to be closer to the top teams."
Prost 
https://www.motorspo...-prost/4321854/

At Enstone, we see these amenities as an opportunity because changing the front of the car fundamentally changes the aero deal. Today, the stables that are ahead do better than us in this area, and as we all take a step back, we potentially have more to gain. That's the opportunity. The risk is that this regulation, which has evolved in recent months and was frozen at the last moment, gives a premium to the best interpretation. It will be even more true in 2021 with, on the Renault side, a roadmap which, in theory, should allow us to play the title and, on the regulations side, a major technical change in terms of the design of the car, tires, etc. This will be a new opportunity at a time when we will have the right organization in place with the right level of experience and stability to face this challenge. In theory this will put us in an ideal position to deploy what we have built for five years. "

We are not working in the short term, we are not only hiring experienced people but mostly young people coming out of university, apprentices. We invest in the future. We are not in the immediate result, we are still rebuilding the team. We could have done better last year if the short term had been our goal, but it is to build a team able to be world champion that interests us. After three years of construction, three years of attack are beginning! To the question: '' Did we do last year the best job in terms of car development? '', The answer is no. Our progress has been inherently worse than in 2017 and we are aware of it. It drives us to change things in the way we operate. There is a bit of disappointment in not being able to get closer to Top 3, but we must not forget that we are talking about "catching up"; which means to develop faster and put more performance in the car than Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull. These are teams of 900 people with very high budgets. Above all, they have been in place for years. They have created a strong infrastructure and stability, and they capitalize on these assets. It's hard to hire - about 100 people last year - and at the same time perform better than them on a season. It puts things in perspective. With a constant engine, we developed as fast as Red Bull in 2018 we would have liked to do more, but it is necessary to relativize the size of the challenge.

Edited by Alburaq, 11 January 2019 - 15:29.

#2429 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,975 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 00:50

Is Ric on gardening leave or something btw? He still appears as a RB driver on social media, on his website... etc.

Nah he has just been driving around Perth in a Toyota Hilux belting out some Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tunes  :lol:

https://www.instagra...ton_share_sheet

Seriously though he does need to update his Twitter etc now that he is with Renault. 

Edited by gowebber, 12 January 2019 - 00:58.

#2430 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 8,641 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:32

As a big Ricc and Nick Cave fan this only confirms my hype for '19 and onward.

I am alone now, I am beyond recriminations
The curtains are shut, the furniture is gone
I’m transforming, I’m vibrating, I’m glowing

I’m flying
Look at me now

#2431 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,277 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:22

:drunk:

Adelaide= Melbourne = Australia! :D

#2432 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,608 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:01

The pressure debate is a bit over-the-top. You have real pressure on you, when the championship is on the line in the final races (a few drivers have cracked), or if your job is on the line (Ocon cracked in Brazil). Anything else is business as usual.

Well said. When your in a car thats expected to fight for/win the championship, thats when the real pressure starts. Your expected to be flawless every weekend and every mistake, big or small, is magnified x100.

We have yet to see either Verstappen or Ricciardo in that situation.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 13 January 2019 - 03:02.

#2433 A3

A3

• 28,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:56

As a big Ricc and Nick Cave fan this only confirms my hype for '19 and onward.

I am alone now, I am beyond recriminations
The curtains are shut, the furniture is gone
I’m transforming, I’m vibrating, I’m glowing

I’m flying
Look at me now

Looked up the meaning of the lyrics, it's about a guy killing a prostitute and then feeling good about it.

Awesome. :lol:

https://songmeanings...22107859447935/

After he had harmed or killed Bee, his reputation was no longer threatened and he still had his status - he could wear his tie and tails about town as though he were a respected man. Gone was the 10 ton catastrophe on a chain replaced by a foetus on a leash: potent male rage now calmed, impotent and under control.

I really do like the song though. :cool:

Edited by A3, 13 January 2019 - 10:57.

#2434 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,131 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:57

How much will it spur on the guys and girls in the Renault factory to have a driver who is a proven performer at the top level such as Ricciardo. Not to knock Hulkenberg as I do rate him, but surely it will boost the morale of the team to know that whatever upgrades they make, they have a driver who they know can maximise their potential. Far more rewarding one would suspect than to have someone such as Sainz who seemed to be frustratingly inconsistent during his time with the team.

#2435 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:12

Not true. Of course the pressure of fighting for the WDC is unlike any other but that doesn't mean anything else is business as usual. Dan is fighting for his future.

The pressure on Dan is big, real big and he put that pressure on himself. He has set the highest bar possible; he wants to be a WDC.

At this point his stock is still somewhat high, a lot of people still consider him top 5/6 on the grid. If he fails to beat Hulk, considered by 101% of people to be a lesser driver than Dan, he's pretty much done for. I really don't see him recovering from that. Young drivers can have off seasons and get away with it. Dan can't. Not at this stage of his career after this decision. If he wants to be  a WDC, he has to perform now. 

#2436 mwf1

mwf1

• 811 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 15:38

he will flog Hulkenburg 

#2437 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 16:34

he will flog Hulkenburg

I have no doubt personally. He’s a class above Hulk.

#2438 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 2,918 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 17:04

I have no doubt personally. He’s a class above Hulk.

I see no proof of that at all. He had the opportunity in F1 to get better results because better material, but now they are in same team, i would not rate one above the other based on only F1 results. https://www.driverdb...ico-hulkenberg/

#2439 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 4,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 17:05

How much will it spur on the guys and girls in the Renault factory to have a driver who is a proven performer at the top level such as Ricciardo. Not to knock Hulkenberg as I do rate him, but surely it will boost the morale of the team to know that whatever upgrades they make, they have a driver who they know can maximise their potential. Far more rewarding one would suspect than to have someone such as Sainz who seemed to be frustratingly inconsistent during his time with the team.

It is a very powerful feeling when you are part of a team where you are feeling the team is going all to improve. I believe it can definitely have a positive effect. Also for future talented engineers who might now be inclined to join Renault rather than say Force India (euh Racing point or whatever there name is). 

On the other hand, one of the more noticeable weaknesses of Ricciardo is dealing with a car which is not to his own liking. I'm not really sure how Hulkenberg deals with cars that are not optimal balance wise. But this could be a pain point in the Renault-Ricciardo relation.

Advertisement

#2440 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,277 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 17:25

he will flog Hulkenburg 

I hope those words won't turn around and bite you on your whats its!...What was the general consensus when Lewis teamed up with Fernando again? And closer to home when Dan teamed up with a 4X WDC...How did that pane out?

#2441 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,277 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 19:03

It is a very powerful feeling when you are part of a team where you are feeling the team is going all to improve. I believe it can definitely have a positive effect. Also for future talented engineers who might now be inclined to join Renault rather than say Force India (euh Racing point or whatever there name is). 

On the other hand, one of the more noticeable weaknesses of Ricciardo is dealing with a car which is not to his own liking. I'm not really sure how Hulkenberg deals with cars that are not optimal balance wise. But this could be a pain point in the Renault-Ricciardo relation.

A top flight  driver ought to be able to deal with whatever is thrown at him/her IMO. Results from feeder series to F1 by and large  prove that.

#2442 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 4,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 19:11

A top flight  driver ought to be able to deal with whatever is thrown at him/her IMO. Results from feeder series to F1 by and large  prove that.

Following Ricciardo closely, it was quite clear that Verstappen was much better with dealing with a car which wasn't perfect.

His operating window isn't as narrow as someone as Jenson Button, but it's definitely not as broad as for example Alonso and Verstappen.

#2443 pRy

pRy

• 14,929 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 19:31

It's questionable how much of a difference it really makes. McLaren had one of the best drivers of the last/current era yet they struggled for the entire time he was at the team. And these days it appears very difficult for drivers to solve car issues directly. So much is reliant on the engine power and on the aerodynamics which are fixed. Long gone are the days when a driver could stay up until midnight talking to the engineers to solve a performance issue between one day and the next.

I also personally question if Daniel is a proven top level performer. And even if he is, that doesn't automatically translate into being a great team motivator. I'm sure the team will feel something of a boost but ultimately I question how much difference it will really make in the long run. But I'm open to being proven wrong.

Edited by pRy, 13 January 2019 - 19:31.

#2444 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,447 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 19:56

Hulkenberg has performed really well in 17-18 and clearly had the upper hand on Sainz, who personally I don't rate that highly. I find he is overrated a lot based on his rookie year with Verstappen and the myth they were equal. 

#2445 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,022 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 20:17

-he beat Vettel, the 4 times WC, who struggled with the RB10
-He beat Verstappen from time to time / was very close to him all the time, and Verstappen is a super mega fast driver (and is perhaps RBs preferred driver)
-he did so many awesome qualy laps, races, overtake moves
-many engineers praised his technical feedback
-he was quite impressive at Toro Rosso and has impressed his team at HRT

So I think Last name is a top driver and that he can cope with a tricky car too.

Edited by Alburaq, 13 January 2019 - 20:19.

#2446 DS27

DS27

• 3,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 20:29

I'll go on record as saying I don't think Ric will out-perform Hulk, at least not by a significant margin. I think Hulk's stock will rise further this year. Maybe HE will find himself in a Ferrari one day!

However, if i'm wrong then so be it, and all power to Ric. My two favourite drivers at the same team - so i'll be happy for whoever performs well.

Edited by DS27, 13 January 2019 - 20:29.

#2447 metz

metz

• 11,736 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 20:54

I’m with you.
Renault now has the two best passing drivers on track. If they can deliver a decent car there will be wins.
Hulk will give Dan trouble. Particularly this year as DR is still not as familiar with the team or car.
You don’t need to trash NH in order to support Ricciardo. Both talented. Both capable of beating the other. The rest is luck.

#2448 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 2,918 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:20

I’m with you.
Renault now has the two best passing drivers on track. If they can deliver a decent car there will be wins.
Hulk will give Dan trouble. Particularly this year as DR is still not as familiar with the team or car.
You don’t need to trash NH in order to support Ricciardo. Both talented. Both capable of beating the other. The rest is luck.

You believe that?

#2449 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 606 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:41

I’m with you.

Quite a bold statement about someone who hasnt scored a single podium in his ~10 years in F1.

#2450 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,840 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:43

I’m with you.

It's a new car with new rules, will NH be any more familiar with it than DR?