Photo

Revetts of Ipswich

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:57

What happened to Revetts of Ipswich? It seems to have closed in the early 2000s sometime.

All I can find online is that it closed and the old building was set on fire.

What happened to Chris and Jerry Revett?

Advertisement

#2 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 19:03

That's a blast from the past Tony, did both of them race? I can remember one of them racing, but in my hazy memory I thought the first name was Adrian, but I'm probably completely wrong!!

Also the back straight on the previous Snetterton layout was of course called the Revetts StraIght.

#3 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:28

Both Chris (the elder) and Jerry raced. Chris more successfully though.

Raced TZs of course and an RG Suzuki later on.

Sad to hear that 'Bud' Jackson has been killed at the Classic TT. RIP Bud. :cry:

#4 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:21

Chris Revett appears to be on Facebook https://tinyurl.com/yc7shyy9

#5 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 15:22

Both Chris (the elder) and Jerry raced. Chris more successfully though.

Raced TZs of course and an RG Suzuki later on.

Sad to hear that 'Bud' Jackson has been killed at the Classic TT. RIP Bud. :cry:

Was Bud Jackson , Bob Jacksons brother ?  btw the Konis are amazing on the T250

#6 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 22:25

Yes it was very sad to hear about Bud, I only spoke to him a few days ago as I walked through the paddock, he always shouted across to me when he saw me, you never think for a minute that it will be the last time you will ever see someone, especially someone like Bud, he'd been around for many years, winning the Junior MGP back in 1986 on a TZ350, and in relation to the most laps completed around the TT course by a rider he must be up there among the top 2 or 3 riders ever.

Yes Greg he was Bob's brother.

Edited by Paul Collins, 26 August 2018 - 22:26.

#7 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:10

As I've often said (without the intervention of lady luck I might have written myself off twice over there) when I argue with folk who want to ban racing on the roads, it beats drowning to death in your own dribble sat in a pool of piss in the abide-a wee rest home for the criminally incontinent. However it's the families left behind who suffer.

I had Bobs Spondon TZ250 on which he came second to Joey for a while but sadly due to the onset my health problems at the time never rode it.

A grand piece of kit though.  :smoking:  

Greg - glad the Konis work on the Suzuki.  :up:  

#8 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:57

Yes it was very sad to hear about Bud, I only spoke to him a few days ago as I walked through the paddock, he always shouted across to me when he saw me, you never think for a minute that it will be the last time you will ever see someone, especially someone like Bud, he'd been around for many years, winning the Junior MGP back in 1986 on a TZ350, and in relation to the most laps completed around the TT course by a rider he must be up there among the top 2 or 3 riders ever.

Yes Greg he was Bob's brother.

Thought so, I can remember both of them racing at Croft in the '70s, this has been a terrible year for racing on the roads.

#9 Revetts

Revetts

• 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 19:08

As far as I can say is that Chris moved to Asia & Jerry is still in UK. I knew them both from way back when their father, Geoff, had a caravan locally as a holiday hideaway. As I got older I used their Ipswich business for a lot of spares etc. Besides Chris & Jerry, who both worked in the business, other racers there included Gerry Talbot (Yamahas) & Mick Potter (sidecars).  Geoff also sponsored several other mostly local riders including myself, Malcolm Hearn, Neville Busson. Geoff also did quite a bit to assist many other racers one way or another, including I believe an up & coming club racer called Steve Parrish! The Snetterton "Race of Aces" was another thing Geoff was heavily involved with when that was attended by top British & Foreign stars & teams. Geoff himself was an ex speedway & scrambles rider. I hope goes some way to showing my appreciation of Revetts & encourages more posts & memories.

#10 standleo

standleo

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 17:55

I know this is a very old post but I am new to this forum and have only just come across it. I own a 1949 Triumph TR5 Trophy (Square Barrel) machine that was purchased new from the Triumph factory at Meriden, Coventry by Geoff Revett in June 1949. I also have a photo and a short film clip of him riding it in a scrambles race held in Ipswich that year. The bike carried the number 32 at the time.

#11 billbomann

billbomann

• 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 22:03

We have six pics of Chris Revett in the Manx Grand Prix on www.ttracepics.com