Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Extreme E: People behind Formula E plotting off-road spin off?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#151 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,526 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 13:18

Continually in disbelief over the names this thing is pulling in.

Today's news:

As rumoured a while back, Jean Eric Vergne backed Veloce Racing (sister team to Veloce Esports) has become team number four. And for some reason* they they have Adrian Newey as 'lead visionary'.
https://www.extreme-...team-entry.html
m1057_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

*actually it's most likely because his son, Harrison, is involved in the team's management.

Is this the first Esports racing team that is making a transition to real world racing?

Edited by Ben1445, 19 September 2019 - 13:18.

Advertisement

#152 BRG

BRG

• 16,962 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:18

Continually in disbelief over the names this thing is pulling in.

I'm convinced Agag is a magician. 

Not to be TOO cynical, but "If you pay them, they will come!"

#153 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,526 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:35

Not to be TOO cynical, but "If you pay them, they will come!"

These threads wouldn't really feel complete without your unique and beautifully mild cynicism...  :)

I was, of course, being tongue in cheek. I know Agag is not really a magician. He's the son of a banker, has a degree in Economics and Business, had a short stint as an MEP, went back to the business world and ran a GP2 team then founded Formula E and took it from nothing to something in less than five years. He's just one of the few people with enough political and financial capital to pull this kind of thing off. 

#154 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:55

I'm just suprised becuase I thought the idea was just *that* outlandish that some of the names we're seeing would have thought it too much of a risk, even if they were being paid something.

Bakkerud's comments make sense as to why he's into it though.

"I’m an action sports guy," said Bakkerud. "I like adrenaline and I love to challenge myself, so when I heard about the crazy places, like the mountains, the rainforests and the glaciers which we’ll get to race around, I immediately became a fan of the Extreme E idea and knew very quickly that it was perfect for me.

And Newey's comemnts also hold some intersting bits as well.

“The series is an exceptional platform for developing new technology, drawing attention to the earth’s environmental challenges and driving change. Veloce will play an active role in as many of Extreme E’s legacy projects as possible to help regenerate the local environments. We now can’t wait to get started on our campaign.”

I wonder how involved Newey will get with those. I'd love to see the documentary sections focussing on someone like Newey turning his exepriece to innovative, eco-friendly tech. That's my kind of ideal content.

#155 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:56

This was a still from their launch presentation showing how the boat could become a showcase/laboratory for sustainable technolgy, for example.

Screenshot-2019-09-19-at-18-50-28.png

#156 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 20:54

Veloce concept livery

217fe73a-206a-41da-974a-c2fd41245998-e15

#157 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,526 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:02

Some interesting comments in this video 

Primarily 

- As far as Veloce are concerned they are the first Esports racing team to cross over from virtual to physical 

- Newey said that races will be have both live and documentary forms, which is a development from previous concept iterations 

Edited by Ben1445, 24 September 2019 - 08:06.

#158 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:13

Some interesting comments in this video 

Primarily 

- As far as Veloce are concerned they are the first Esports racing team to cross over from virtual to physical 

- Newey said that races will be have both live and documentary forms, which is a development from previous concept iterations 

That intersting as another indicator that we may indeed get live races for this.

#159 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:21

Other Extreme E news from the last week or so:

They have a fashion partner (becasue business I guess) - at the heart of the partnership, they say, is awereness of the fashion industry's environmental impact. 
https://www.extreme-...on-Partner.html

They have joined the United Nations’ Sports for Climate Action Framework which consists of the commitments to:

• Promote greater environmental responsibility
  • Reduce the overall climate impact from sports 
  • Use its platform to educate for climate action 
  • Promote sustainable and responsible consumption 
  • Advocate for climate action through its communications

Kind of similar to how Formula E worked to recieve the highest sustainbabilty certification (ISO20121) for sustaianble events.

https://www.extreme-...Initiative.html

Advertisement

#160 BRG

BRG

• 16,962 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:10

Other Extreme E news from the last week or so:

They have a fashion partner (because business I guess) - at the heart of the partnership, they say, is awareness of the fashion industry's environmental impact.

Because nothing says 'We care for the Environment' like having a fashion partner.  :rolleyes:

If they were aware of the fashion industry's environmental impact, they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.  This is typical of the activist mindset -  don't do as we do, do as we say. 

Edited by BRG, 28 September 2019 - 20:10.

#161 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:42

Instinctively, I absolutely agree on the not wanting to pair up with anything fashion related. The fashion industry many of it's wasteful practices and cultures are pretty bad.

Don't agree at all on the dig at activists though. Mainy because every time I've come across that sort of arguemnt it has never meant to be constructive but instead to simply discredit and marginalise. I find it a hard stance to find any respect for, but that's just me.

The partnership with the fashion group in question will live or die on how serious they're taking the climate side of things. If it turns out they're just milking some eco-kudos without changing a thing about their practices they can get lost. I'd hope Agag was shrewd enough to put something into the contracts to stop that happening. However, if they show through this partnership what they are doing to reduce their impact or, better still, it somehow 'inspires' them to do more then I can see myself being ok with it.

(thanks to their Extreme E supply partnership, I've already found out about Continental's research into rubber derived from Russian dandilion roots to reduce reliance on tropical environments and oil supply).

#162 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 18:52

We have location number two.

Extreme E Reveals Damaged Amazon Location
https://www.extreme-...n-Location.html
m1061_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

Pretty extensive set of comments there in the press release (I kid you not) outlining the reasons for the choice or location and planned work to leave a lasting positive legacy. To pick a very small selection of main points:

"Our race will take place in the region of Santarém in the state of Pará, which has already been deforested and severely impacted by fire damage." [...]

[Efforts to leave behind a positive legacy] will involve planting and protecting an area the same size as the race location, every year of the championship.

[Francisco Oliveira, Director of Policies to combat deforestation at the Brazilian Ministry of Environment (2012-2015), PhD on Amazon conservation from the University of Cambridge]:

“I was intrigued when I first heard about Extreme E’s plans to use sport as a vehicle for climate action in the Amazon. This century needs to become the generation for ecosystem restoration, and I believe this electric race series offers an innovative way to build awareness amongst new audiences and inspire positive action for the protection and future health of the Amazon, and the planet.

“I look forward to assisting the Extreme E organisers and will provide advice to ensure the series’ conservation goals are supported in a responsible and effective manner.”

Edited by Vielleicht, 02 October 2019 - 18:52.

#163 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,526 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 17:28

[Efforts to leave behind a positive legacy] will involve planting and protecting an area the same size as the race location, every year of the championship.

:up:  :up:

Edited by Ben1445, 03 October 2019 - 17:28.

#164 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,526 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 17:33

#165 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,394 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 17:33

The Extreme E car has been testing in France
https://www.extreme-...of-testing.html

Driving duties done by Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky, Timmy Hansen and Kevin Hansen. Some intersting first impressions from them.

Also this:

“At Goodwood, we only ran in a two-wheel drive configuration with Formula E motors. Now we have four-wheel drive and two motors – one front and one rear – with five or six times the torque."

Edited by Vielleicht, 10 October 2019 - 17:38.