Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2082 replies to this topic

#1101 stewie

stewie

• 2,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:29

While I am glad that C4 keeps highlights, Lee McKenzie's quote is a bit like telling someone who's suffered a massive pay cut that they should be grateful they have a job.

Unless there's been a recent change, it is UK law that the British GP must be shown on FTA television.

Yes I agree with you on Lee's comment, I replied to her on Twitter basically saying we all know how that's worked out for Cricket in this country...

As for the protected UK TV sports right, Formula 1 doesn't appear on either the A (must be live FTA) or B (must be at least FTA highlights) list.

Advertisement

#1102 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 620 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:53

Although it's been coming for a long time, the difference between this and the Premier league is quite substantial. The whole concept of the Premier league was build around sky and pay tv from the beginning.
Sponsors on football shirts get most of the eyes on their brand from the spectators in the stadiums and through those who buy the replica merchandise.

F1's sponsors have primarily done deals based around eyes on the tv and viewing figures worldwide. Less free coverage means less eyes on the sport and it becomes less attractive to sponsors.
We've seen the effect of this already.

It will only get worse

#1103 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:56

Lee's tweet was technically not correct either; Sky were obliged to show highlights and the British GP live, on FTA (e.g. through Pick TV).

This hasn't changed that, it's just moved it onto a more familiar channel.

#1104 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,293 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:03

Apparently the presentation team will be similar to how it is now with C4 having their own team. What I awate is how much of the race we get.

#1105 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,674 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:16

I bowed to my internal pressure and caved - I bought Sky a few weeks ago. I'm paying £40 a month for all the sports channels in HD, and the same with entertainment ones. I can record Liverpool games and F1 and watch at my own speed when I'm not at work, which is near enough every weekend. I have to say this is the first time I've been watching qualifying for years as well - what a difference being able to record makes.

I forgot how annoying Crofty can be though. Oh dear. I'll definitely miss C4's commentary.

It's good the highlights and the British GP are staying on C4 though, it's something for FTA viewers. I wonder if they're the extended highlights we have now though, or something shorter?

Eighty quid a month, ouch ! That's almost as much as I spend on beer in a week.  :drunk:

#1106 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 507 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:19

It’s easy I watch on RTL for free when C4 do not show live.

It is sad that this is happening in the UK the home of F1. You guys could try to learn German and watch F1 on RTL Germany for free.

#1107 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 507 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:22

Eighty quid a month, ouch ! That's almost as much as I spend on beer in a week. :drunk:

Don’t drink, you are only killing your liver and ultimately killing yourself.

#1108 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 320 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:27

The same.

#1109 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,695 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:30

Apparently the presentation team will be similar to how it is now with C4 having their own team. What I awate is how much of the race we get.

Well that's good, if true.

I've always preferred Channel 4 to the Sky's tired middle aged feel.

Hope they find a way to keep Ben Edwards too.   

#1110 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:57

Whoosh!

#1111 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,674 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 16:13

Don't preach. It is ungainly. 

#1112 NikL

NikL

• 115 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 18:13

Its better than nothing but still not good enough when F1 has always been FTA. I do not have money to pay for Sky and refuse to do so. No wonder teams are struggling to find sponsors when F1 treat fans like this and hide behind a paywall.

#1113 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,296 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 19:39

I can afford Sky but won't pay for it because I think their product is crap.

#1114 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 20:08

I can't be bothered with the highlights right now. I'm done with F1 come next year.

#1115 MargaretM37

MargaretM37

• 81 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 22:01

How can we do this?

#1116 Jordan199

Jordan199

• 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 22:03

Eighty quid a month, ouch ! That's almost as much as I spend on beer in a week.  :drunk:

I just realised my original post wasn't very clear. I meant that I was getting all entertainment and sports channels in HD, all for £40 a month.

Last year when I was looking at Sky it was around £38 just to get entertainment and the F1 channel, no other sports, and no HD.

#1117 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,293 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:55

How can we do this?

You will need a satellite dish pointing at the Astra 1 satellites at 19* East and a satellite box.

* 19 Degrees east of true south.

#1118 Darren1

Darren1

• 201 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:36

I can afford Sky,but refuse to pay.  I'll be off to the beach or countryside instead.

The circuits will be hit hardest, as they pay according to a full gate, and we've seen how cricket gates have been affected........

#1119 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:41

I can afford Sky,but refuse to pay.  I'll be off to the beach or countryside instead.

The circuits will be hit hardest, as they pay according to a full gate, and we've seen how cricket gates have been affected........

F1 wise this move only really affects Silverstone. Might take a while for the numbers to drop off there as its normally well attended.

Advertisement

#1120 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 576 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 14:29

F1 wise this move only really affects Silverstone. Might take a while for the numbers to drop off there as its normally well attended.

TImes are changing. In the early 90s, the British GP was sold out a year in advance. Now it still sells out, but there are tickets available a few weeks/days head of the race.

How long before it doesn't sell out? With viewing on TV declining and soon to become the reserve of people who are already interest enough to pay through the nose, the next generation won't have been brought up watching and won't have found F1 while channel hopping. 

#1121 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 14:44

TImes are changing. In the early 90s, the British GP was sold out a year in advance. Now it still sells out, but there are tickets available a few weeks/days head of the race.

How long before it doesn't sell out? With viewing on TV declining and soon to become the reserve of people who are already interest enough to pay through the nose, the next generation won't have been brought up watching and won't have found F1 while channel hopping.

Ticket sales have always fluctuated at Silverstone. Not always sold out, but still well attended. I don't disagree with your point, but think it will take some time before we see the affect. Will interesting to see what deal liberty offer Silverstone, otherwise there might not be a BGP in 2020 anyway.

#1122 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 320 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 15:29

I wonder if Skysports Mix or even Sky1 will show some live F1 races next season?

On SKY1 we got the Monaco GP live this season.   

#1123 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 16:19

I wonder if Skysports Mix or even Sky1 will show some live F1 races next season?

Wouldn't be surprised. They have often done the same with some football matches to try and entice new subscribers.

#1124 stewie

stewie

• 2,997 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:37

I personally think they won't offer races on Sky 1 - all the races they have shown on there this year have been on C4 live weekends. On exclusive weekends it's been Sky Sports only.

Re: Sky Sports Mix, the press release at the tjme said,

"Sky Sports Mix: Additionally at least two other ‘prime time’ live races a season will be offered on the soon-to-be-launched Sky Sports Mix along with other F1 content."

#1125 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 644 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:06

https://f1broadcasti...ula-1-coverage/

Slightly shorter highlights on C4, possible line-up changes at Sky. 

#1126 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,343 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:21

https://f1broadcasti...ula-1-coverage/

...possible line-up changes at Sky. 

Provided that means the demise of Croft and Pinkham, I'll be perfectly happy.

#1127 CL16

CL16

• 911 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:42

Anything to get rid of Crofty.

It’s so painful that he’s the voice of F1 to most of the world.

#1128 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 2,156 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:42

Be good to see a positive shift in the line-up which is pretty subjective, but i'd like to see Martin, Simon, Ant, Ted, Di Resta and Rosberg kept. The rest are rather rubbish. Crofty should be banned from the F1 paddock being the most annoying tv personality. It would be okay if he was a partial part of the line-up because you could phase out, but for the entirety of the live coverage, does my head in. 

Edited by Pingu Pi, 21 September 2018 - 12:43.

#1129 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,293 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:05

Only 7 mins less, that's not to bad

#1130 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:33

Sometimes the highlights are better than the race live. Often though, the story of the race is completely missed. It's not like football where flashpoints, singular moments, often dictate the end result. F1 can involve longer played out strategies that highlights completely miss.

If Edwards goes to Sky as main comm I think James Allen could do a good job for C4 highlights and/or analysis. Not many know more about the sport. His only issue was when he was live and was almost Crofty 1.0 to Crofty who is James Allen 2.0.

#1131 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,152 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:47

If Webber and Edwards are on the market Sky would be foolish to continue with Croft/Pinkham/Lazenby, you name it, they are terrible. The line-up needs something new, because it feels very stale and boring right now.

#1132 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,565 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:52

If Sky dump Croft then they might just get more subscribers, I personally know three people who cancelled their sky sub mainly because croft drove them bats**t crazy.

#1133 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,131 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:28

If Webber and Edwards are on the market Sky would be foolish to continue with Croft/Pinkham/Lazenby, you name it, they are terrible. The line-up needs something new, because it feels very stale and boring right now.

Has anything been said about Edwards leaving C4?  Presumably they'll still have their own commentators.

I find Mark Webber to be almost incoherent.

And all the broadcasters should be chasing David Addison as their lead commentator, and Karun Chandok as their number two or main pundit.

#1134 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 5,618 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:37

If Sky dump Croft then they might just get more subscribers, I personally know three people who cancelled their sky sub mainly because croft drove them bats**t crazy.

Couldn’t they find the “off” button? :lol:

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 21 September 2018 - 14:37.

#1135 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:40

Has anything been said about Edwards leaving C4?  Presumably they'll still have their own commentators.

And all the broadcasters should be chasing David Addison as their lead commentator, and Karun Chandok as their number two or main pundit.

That pay driver commentator  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#1136 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 660 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:42

Just let Crofty do only the free practices like before where he cant shout like a madman or get rid of him altogether. Then Lazenby, Herbert and im 50/50 on Pinkham. Oh how refreshing would that be.

I dont care who would replace Crofty as long as it wont be Legard  :D

Edited by GiorgioF1, 21 September 2018 - 14:43.

#1137 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:49

I seriously don't believe there would be any significant, if any at all, change in subscribers due to the commentators. Its the cost and quality of the racing that the decision is made on.

#1138 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:51

Has anything been said about Edwards leaving C4? Presumably they'll still have their own commentators.

Is he hired by C4 or the production company?

#1139 Mat13

Mat13

• 1,734 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 19:01

That pay driver commentator :rotfl: :rotfl:

He is the standout amongst Sky and C4 presenters- along with Martin Brundle.

Advertisement

#1140 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 19:40

He is the standout amongst Sky and C4 presenters- along with Martin Brundle.

Ohh dear....

#1141 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 21:25

Ohh dear....

No, dear.

#1142 P123

P123

• 15,279 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 22:11

I find Chandhok has a tendency to drone on and on, although I know he's a favourite on here so it's not the popular opinion. Brundle? No longer a must listen to... I find DC and Webber are a lot sharper than either of those two.

#1143 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,322 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 23:38

I really don't get annoyed by any of the commentators. I do like Paul d i resta though actually for accurate insight from a recent driver.

The Legard days were terrible, there is simply no comparison of crofty and Legard. I'm still happy to not have to hear that rubbish.

#1144 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,152 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 00:00

I find Chandhok has a tendency to drone on and on, although I know he's a favourite on here so it's not the popular opinion. Brundle? No longer a must listen to... I find DC and Webber are a lot sharper than either of those two.

Brundle's best days are behind him, nothing new, no inside information or even really funny jokes (if you are watching for that, I don't). Give me DC and Webber any day, sharp guys, still very relevant and they know a lot of drivers personally, especially Webber, which gives more insight. 

What's Croft/Brundle connection with the current crop drivers? A handshake when they leave the circuit? That's it.

Edited by SonGoku, 22 September 2018 - 00:01.

#1145 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 576 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:46

Something has changed with Brundle.....maybe he just doesn't have many close friends in the paddock any more because he doesn't seem to get interviews or have inside information any more. Karun does seem to have some inside info and juicy rumours, and he clearly loves being involved in F1....that enthusiasm comes across on TV so I think Karun is a highlight. 

Croft was fine on BBC Radio 5 Live...so I really don't know what's gone wrong. Unless Sky have told him to act as if he's super excited?

#1146 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 20,983 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:57

The problem is that he works for Sky.

#1147 TheFish

TheFish

• 476 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:31

I don't get the Crofty hate. Yes, he's a bit of a pillock, but he's fine as a commentator. Although my favourite combination was Brundle/Coulthard.

I'd suggest listening to some of Jonathan Legard's commentary to realise how bad things can be.

#1148 Eff1

Eff1

• 377 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:49

Really sad. Since I started watching F1 it was always on terrestrial TV, even if it was just part of the season.

How do they expect to attract the new gen fans then? At some point they need to put select races live on platforms like YouTube at the very least right?????

#1149 RSRally

RSRally

• 812 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:42

Unless Sky have told him to act as if he's super excited?

Most lead commentators are like that though.. Ben Edwards and Jack Nicholls too.

You never know, maybe Kimi will move into the commentary booth when he finally calls it a day with the driving.

#1150 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 14:29

I don't get the Crofty hate. Yes, he's a bit of a pillock, but he's fine as a commentator. Although my favourite combination was Brundle/Coulthard.

I'd suggest listening to some of Jonathan Legard's commentary to realise how bad things can be.

Very faint praise of David Croft there by saying he is better than Jonathan Legard...

It didn't sound like Legard knew who the drivers were or which track he was at half the time.