Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2079 replies to this topic

#1151 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,676 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 14:39

There has to be some sweet spot of genuine passion, knowledge and excitement for a a commentator that is neither too much not too little in any particular direction. 

The ones that have that are the greats. 

Advertisement

#1152 CL16

CL16

• 906 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 15:59

Ben Edwards fits the bill.

Crofty is just a dart loving, West Ham mentioning idiot.

#1153 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,125 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 16:51

There has to be some sweet spot of genuine passion, knowledge and excitement for a a commentator that is neither too much not too little in any particular direction. 

The ones that have that are the greats. 

I would split a hair (it's a hobby) and say knowledge and enthusiasm, which is different from excitement. Listen to David Addison and you can tell he loves the sport and is interested in every detail. Someone else's excitement gets a bit cringeworthy.

#1154 pRy

pRy

• 15,329 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 17:50

The best line up for me was Brundle and Coulthard. 

The biggest loss in 2019, in my opinion, is Lee McKenzie. She's been outstanding and terribly underused. I'd have had her fronting the coverage for the last few years on C4. I'll miss her. I suspect the drivers will too.

#1155 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 5,616 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 17:52

Something has changed with Brundle.....maybe he just doesn't have many close friends in the paddock any more because he doesn't seem to get interviews or have inside information any more. Karun does seem to have some inside info and juicy rumours, and he clearly loves being involved in F1....that enthusiasm comes across on TV so I think Karun is a highlight.

Croft was fine on BBC Radio 5 Live...so I really don't know what's gone wrong. Unless Sky have told him to act as if he's super excited?

Or they know he talks - nothing is said in confidence to him anymore?

#1156 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,198 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 18:12

And all the broadcasters should be chasing David Addison as their lead commentator

Please no - not because he's bad, but simply because I'd rather he kept doing the BTCC commentary!

I do rate Addison though. In fact, I'd say I even prefer him to Ben Edwards now, who is a bit too shouty at times. Both are preferable to David Croft. 

Not sure how I feel about highlights on C4. I'm never that inclined to watch highlights of a sports event several hours after it has finished, because...well, it's just never as good as watching the thing live. I say that even despite F1's current flaws and frequently dull races. 

These days I'm content to just watch F1's condensed highlights on their YouTube channel and reading a race report, if I can't stream it. The days of me watching hours of coverage with fluff interviews and pundits pontificating about this, that and t'other are long gone. 

#1157 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,125 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 19:25

^ OK, if you're going to ban them from using Addison, then other commentators should learn from his technique. Rather than filling silences by extending vowel sounds for seconds, (yes, Tom Gaymor, I mean you), or waffling irrelevantly about how wonderful everything is (Murray Walker and many others), David Addison and his frequent partner at circuits, the brilliant Ian Titchmarsh, hosepipe you with information about the competitors. Dull bit of a race? Marcus Eriksson was impressive in Formula BMW but struggled in British F3 etc...)

Edited by Sterzo, 22 September 2018 - 19:26.

#1158 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,957 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 19:43

Most lead commentators are like that though.. Ben Edwards and Jack Nicholls too.

This is the Murray Walker Pants on Fire legacy.
He did it wonderfully. Others try and fail.

#1159 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 643 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 19:50

Comcast likely to takeover Sky - https://www.bbc.co.u...siness-45615441

No idea what this means for the future of F1 broadcasting,

Advertisement

#1160 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,765 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 20:35

^ OK, if you're going to ban them from using Addison, then other commentators should learn from his technique. Rather than filling silences by extending vowel sounds for seconds, (yes, Tom Gaymor, I mean you), or waffling irrelevantly about how wonderful everything is (Murray Walker and many others), David Addison and his frequent partner at circuits, the brilliant Ian Titchmarsh, hosepipe you with information about the competitors. Dull bit of a race? Marcus Eriksson was impressive in Formula BMW but struggled in British F3 etc...)

Probably because both 'Adipose' and 'Titbog' spent numerous years working as circuit commentators at club level meeting upwards and had to be able keep the punters entertained whilst the 'Orange Army' extracted those drivers who had 'run out of talent' from the predicament they got themselves into...

#1161 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,957 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 21:56

Comcast usurps Murdoch.
I like the sound of that.
Jp

#1162 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 23:06

David Addison is by far the best commentator. You only need to watch his commentary during a frantic BTCC race containing 30 odd cars and see how well he keeps track of what the entire field are doing.

You actually feel like you are always genuinely learning something from his commentary rather than being spoken to like a little child like you tend to get from dumbed down F1 commentary.

That said, his motorsport knowledge is so vast it would probably be wasted on F1 as the chances are he would only be solely commentating on F1 whereas currently he commentates on several series where his in depth knowledge is more suited to BTCC / GT racing etc.

Personally i wouldn't want to lose his commentary from the BTCC and frankly given how few viewers sky F1 have it probably isn't much of a step up from the number of viewers ITV get for the BTCC anyway.

#1163 Mat13

Mat13

• 1,734 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:46

John Hindhaugh and Graham Goodwin are my favourites. They’d be terrible on F1 though, as it would appear they hate it...

#1164 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,676 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:49

John Hindhaugh and Graham Goodwin are my favourites. They’d be terrible on F1 though, as it would appear they hate it...

Oh lordy they annoy me to hell. 

#1165 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,244 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:35

According to Joe Saward, David Croft is going to be sacked by Sky Sports. Brundle will move to lead commentator and Webber will join as co-commentator.

#1166 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,504 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:42

According to Joe Saward, David Croft is going to be sacked by Sky Sports. Brundle will move to lead commentator and Webber will join as co-commentator.

This would be a very favourable decision by Sky. How they've allowed this buffoon to stay around for 7 YEARS is just beyond me. He's a clown, gets almost everything wrong (In a un-Murray way) and is a very, very poor commentator. Won't be watching live anymore, but for those who are, you lucky bunch! 

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 25 September 2018 - 12:42.

#1167 Peat

Peat

• 3,965 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:51

Oh lordy they annoy me to hell. (Hindhaugh/Goodwin)

witter witter witter

*something significant happens on track*

witter witter witter

witter witter "OH MY GOODNESS ME. IT MUST BE THE PROTOTYPES' FAULT!"

#1168 Peat

Peat

• 3,965 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:53

These days I'm content to just watch F1's condensed highlights on their YouTube channel and reading a race report, if I can't stream it. The days of me watching hours of coverage with fluff interviews and pundits pontificating about this, that and t'other are long gone. 

You mean the David Croft SHOUT reel?

THIS. IS. EXCITING. LOOK!

#1169 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 17:37

You mean the David Croft SHOUT reel?

THIS. IS. EXCITING. LOOK!

I would take a guess that the poster perhaps prefers another more interesting form of motorsport to fill up those Sundays rather than watch a 90 minute DRS festival of drive by's.

#1170 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,296 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 20:14

"According to Joe Saward" - this probably means we'll get Croft and Legard teaming up.

#1171 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,244 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:58

Looks like Crofty is staying with the Sky F1 team - but Sky didn't say he would remain the commentator... 

Edited by Jordan44, 26 September 2018 - 12:58.

#1172 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,088 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 18:27

Why do people dash hopes like that, honestly can't trust anyone these days 

#1173 loki

loki

• 5,495 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 22:23

Ol' Joe is being pretty defensive in a blog post rebutting being called on the Crofty thing as well as saying Miami is done.  I would agree that Miami probably won't happen.  If Ross can pull a rabbit out of the hat and/or strong arm those against him it might have a chance but at this point it's less than favorable.   Crofty would be more tolerable if he wasn't on all five sessions and kept focused on what was happening on track or least what is happening around the paddock.

#1174 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,091 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 00:06

Speaking of Joe:

OnFk667.jpg

tjnQPiG.jpg

...our eternal lovely Joe.

#1175 PeterScandlyn

PeterScandlyn

• 347 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:12

Ol' Joe is being pretty defensive in a blog post rebutting being called on the Crofty thing as well as saying Miami is done.  I would agree that Miami probably won't happen.  If Ross can pull a rabbit out of the hat and/or strong arm those against him it might have a chance but at this point it's less than favorable.   Crofty would be more tolerable if he wasn't on all five sessions and kept focused on what was happening on track or least what is happening around the paddock.

Ross ehh?

That man of mythical and mystical proportions....

#1176 stewie

stewie

• 2,995 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:51

Joe? Joe who? I've stopped reading his blog since I worked half of what he says turns out to be complete rubbish, normally about a day after he's prophetised something.

#1177 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,957 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:03

Jesus people....FAKE NEWS.

#1178 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:23

I’ve always enjoyed watching the sexy blonde pitlane reporters Ted Kravitz and Karun Chandhok...

#1179 kernel

kernel

• 2,761 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:01

I’ve always enjoyed watching the sexy blonde pitlane reporters Ted Kravitz and Karun Chandhok...

Forgot about her (see photo below)?

I think he might be referring to Natalie Pinkham and Rachel Brookes.

f1-malaysian-gp-2012-georgie-thompson-sk

Edited by kernel, 27 September 2018 - 08:01.

Advertisement

#1180 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,091 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:07

Best comms are the F2 lads. Blessed Davide and, that other dude. I always forget the name of the main dude; can someone please refresh me?

#1181 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:08

I doubt Rachel Brookes or Natalie Pinkham get more interviews than Joe Saward just because they are pretty women, it might have a little bit more to do with them working for Sky and them providing the live coverage for most of the English speaking world.

#1182 ANF

ANF

• 8,496 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:14

Best comms are the F2 lads. Blessed Davide and, that other dude. I always forget the name of the main dude; can someone please refresh me?

#1183 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:51

I doubt Rachel Brookes or Natalie Pinkham get more interviews than Joe Saward just because they are pretty women, it might have a little bit more to do with them working for Sky and them providing the live coverage for most of the English speaking world.

And possibly that they come across as pleasant, decent human beings, while Saward is utterly unlikable and up his own arse.

If I was heading through the pit lane and had to quickly make a choice who I’d rather quickly stop and speak to, I’d more than likely avoid Saward too. And you’re on the ball too about preferring to stop and speak to the main broadcaster rather than a guy who sends out an email newsletter after every race with a reletively small reach.

Saward has form for sneering about other journalists work - he thinks he’s the centre of the F1 paddock. And remember, he’s there AND YOU’RE NOT!

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 27 September 2018 - 11:58.

#1184 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,451 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:09

Alex Jacques.

#1185 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,091 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:30

Alex Jacques.

Thank you! Yes, he is great.

#1186 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,091 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:38

You are a Master and Watcher of 50+ series, ANF.
Which comm team is your current favorite ?

#1187 ANF

ANF

• 8,496 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 14:58

You are a Master and Watcher of 50+ series, ANF.
Which comm team is your current favorite ?

Thank you for asking!
The really good ones are David Addison, Ben Evans, Jeremy Shaw, Paul Truswell.
Also good are Ben Edwards, Bruce Jones, Jack Nicholls.
The best driver co-commentators: Townsend Bell, Anders Krohn, John Watson.
Outstanding pit reporter: Shea Adam.

#1188 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:17

Poor crofty has been taking a beating this week on the old social media. On the F1 weekend show just now he’s just made a point of telling everyone the correct pronunciation of Giovinazzi

#1189 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,296 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:19

Poor crofty has been taking a beating this week on the old social media. On the F1 weekend show just now he’s just made a point of telling everyone the correct pronunciation of Giovinazzi

I'd happily tell him the correct pronunciation of tw@

Edited by David Lightman, 27 September 2018 - 18:19.

#1190 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:26

Kravitz has a bit of a strange demeanour about him in the weekend show. Like he knows ‘the public’ aren’t huge fans of David Croft so pills strange faces and dismisses all he says. Coming across as a bit of a git tbh, and I generally think he’s a nice enough bloke.

#1191 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,133 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:37

Kravitz has a bit of a strange demeanour about him in the weekend show. Like he knows ‘the public’ aren’t huge fans of David Croft so pills strange faces and dismisses all he says. Coming across as a bit of a git tbh, and I generally think he’s a nice enough bloke.

Ted can be very arrogant when he wants to, that I am part of the paddock attitude and knows it all.

#1192 w1Y

w1Y

• 3,868 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:38

i like the sky team but would quite like to see ant and brundle as commentators. feels a bit harsh on crofty tho.

#1193 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,504 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:42

i like the sky team but would quite like to see ant and brundle as commentators. feels a bit harsh on crofty tho.

On your own, dude.

#1194 CSF

CSF

• 573 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:47

It's quite frustrating, because if you go back to 5live and the early part of Sky, Crofty was so much better. Now he bumbles along, occasionally stopping to give creadance to a conspiracy threory or two, and it just feels forced.

Brundle has gone downhill too sadly, I don't know if he's too "comfortable" as the focus of coverage effectively, but I find DC far more interesting to listen to these days. I miss the detail he used to go into during his explanations, now it just feels like he's another shout and run commentator. 

#1195 d246

d246

• 758 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 18:55

Just switch the C4 team over to Sky. Bit harsh on Brundle but otherwise problem solved.

#1196 Jordan199

Jordan199

• 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:17

I wouldn't mind that. I would maybe keep Brundle over Coulthard personally but there isn't much in it.

Whenever I catch the odd free practice session I quite like Anthony Davidson - is he an option in this mini-revamp?

#1197 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,064 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:24

Natalie gets the pitlane interviews because she's good at what she does.

It took me a few years to really take to her but I like her personality and find she is one of the positives of the sky coverage.

#1198 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:39

Seems strange to not show the F2 race live because of ‘The F1 Show’.

The f1 show is on directly after qualifying post-race show, so it’ll just be a continuation/rehash of the stuff discussed in that show.

Don’t see why they couldn’t have taken a bit of a break and showed the F1 show after the F2, whether pre-recorded or Live.

Daft decision from the ‘Home of live sport’

#1199 CSF

CSF

• 573 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:55

di Resta doing a great job explaining Hamilton's lap, CROFTY JUMPS IN FOR NO REASON ADDS NOTHING.

After the laps JOHNNY HERBERT starts SHOUTING AT NOTHING LIKE AN OLD MAN SHOUTS AT A CLOUD. 

Advertisement

#1200 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:57

I take it Brundle couldn’t be arsed this weekend? Can’t say I blame him