Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2187 replies to this topic

#1301 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,748 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:33

That just sums Sky up doesn't it? Sack the best member of the team. Likely Ted wasn't prepared to kiss some arses like the rest of 'em. There were a few times last year where it was obvious that he was pissed off with things.

Advertisement

#1302 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,274 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:34

I feel for Virgin Media TV customers, they have been screwed over Sky Sports for years. I ditched their TV service myself a few years ago in favour of Sky, which admittedly was the reason why Sky didn't offer Virgin Media the same ability to offer Sky Sports F1 seperately.

Could you not keep the Virgin Media broadband and switch to Sky's TV service instead?

Sky TV is completely independent to broadband service. You can go with any provider you want.

#1303 P123

P123

• 15,690 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:40

That just sums Sky up doesn't it? Sack the best member of the team. Likely Ted wasn't prepared to kiss some arses like the rest of 'em. There were a few times last year where it was obvious that he was pissed off with things.

He was something different; not the weak analysis of Herbert or to some extent Hill, seemed to love being there unlike a jaded Brundle. I don't think adding Chandhok strengthens them at all- probably the weakest link of the C4 coverage (I get he's popular in here so I'm likely in the minority on that) albeit he has enthusiasm for the history of F1. I don't watch Sky's pre-show, even less reason now to listen to them prattling on post-race.

#1304 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 802 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:43

Its really not a backwards step if thats your only worry.

It probably is an improvement in many ways, just none of them are of interest to me. It's would be a backwards step to me personally, compared to my Sky set up I currently have and how I use it. 

#1305 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 18,875 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:45

I don't think adding Chandhok strengthens them at all- probably the weakest link of the C4 coverage (I get he's popular in here so I'm likely in the minority on that).

I agree, not the biggest fan of Chandhok. He's fine, but made to look better than he is because most of the TV people are devoid of any sporting enthusiasm or understanding.

Davidson and Kravitz are my favourites.

#1306 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 1,405 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:47

What the hell 😩 you can't sack Ted 😤😤😤

#1307 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,153 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:47

This is outrageous. His notebook was the only thing worth watching on the post shows.

If true it's the best thing to happen for Ted, we all know he's really very good and F1 runs through his veins, I've no doubt another top tv company will pick him up and treat him properly ! 

As for SKY F1 - well says it all really ! Better off out of there, up to us to find him again, wherever he ends up :)  :up:

#1308 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,748 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:54

He was something different; not the weak analysis of Herbert or to some extent Hill, seemed to love being there unlike a jaded Brundle. I don't think adding Chandhok strengthens them at all- probably the weakest link of the C4 coverage (I get he's popular in here so I'm likely in the minority on that) albeit he has enthusiasm for the history of F1. I don't watch Sky's pre-show, even less reason now to listen to them prattling on post-race.

Truth be known, Ted has likely crossed swords with producers regularly. I recall Ted complaining many times, that he'd been bollocked for doing 16 minutes instead of 15. Last year,quite regularly, the notebook would be delayed a number of hours after the main coverage and be given a slot at some crazy time of the night. I do watch all the pre and post race stuff but Ted was the highlight. Shallow bastards.

#1309 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 639 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:13

What if this is all a big marketing exercise to get us talking about Sky F1?

#1310 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,274 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:15

It probably is an improvement in many ways, just none of them are of interest to me. It's would be a backwards step to me personally, compared to my Sky set up I currently have and how I use it. 

What can you do with your current setup that you can't with SkyQ?

#1311 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,748 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:31

Seems like the original tweet has tweeted off. Poster said he'd been told to. That was removed too. Yeah, got brave and looked in some reddit thing

#1312 Kev00

Kev00

• 3,337 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:32

Ted got a bit too cheesy and annoying but he was still the best thing about the coverage. He just offered something that nobody else did.

#1313 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 639 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:33

I kinda hope it's all a load of bullshit to show how ridiculous the Internet is

#1314 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,748 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:37

So do I

#1315 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,153 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:51

Ted could always do his own social media, Youtube,Facebook,Twitter, etc.. race weekend sure he'd get plenty of subscribers - seems to be going okay so far for Marc Priestley. I'd certainly Patreon a couple of quid a month to watch Ted's race weekend insights.   

#1316 Garndell

Garndell

• 789 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:22

F1TV could do a hell of a lot worse than hiring Ted, perhaps a petition is in order...

Obligatory hatred towards Sky:  Those 'orrible oiks :mad:

#1317 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:24

Truth be known, Ted has likely crossed swords with producers regularly. I recall Ted complaining many times, that he'd been bollocked for doing 16 minutes instead of 15. Last year,quite regularly, the notebook would be delayed a number of hours after the main coverage and be given a slot at some crazy time of the night. I do watch all the pre and post race stuff but Ted was the highlight. Shallow bastards.

He’d stopped holding back on his distain for Croft’s ‘bantz’ too on occasion, which he used to partake in. Often wondered if he was reacting to fan-opinion he’d read online.

#1318 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:32

https://www.skysport...nd-exclusive-f1

Ted Not mentioned in the press release.

Imbeciles.

Davidson gone too.

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 23 February 2019 - 03:46.

#1319 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,892 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:14

Ted is probably my favorite F1 presenter ever. I wonder if F1TV has poached him, or if they will. That might be the only thing that might get me to sign up for that trainwreck...

Advertisement

#1320 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,892 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:16

Where is this coming from, the dreaded twitter?

At least partly from TJ13 (pfft), but they probably got it from twitter etc...

#1321 Lights

Lights

• 16,137 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:20

That's the problem with the monopoly of Sky. They don't need the best people because viewers that want full F1 coverage will buy it anyway.

So you end up with a bunch of meh people that apparently cannot speak up because they might get sacked. Perfect recipe for mediocrity.

I fear for the day Brundle calls it a day and that might be sooner than later.

#1322 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,537 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:38

Ted... 😓

Sky F1s buggest asset, by far.

He’ll be hired pretty rapidly I’d expect.

Sky really showing their true colours. The exact reason I’ll never give them a penny. Ever.

#1323 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:42

Will Buxton has tweeted about the Ted situation... no details, but it’s obviously ‘a thing’.

Plus whoever runs the ‘fake Charlie whiting’ account has mentioned it too.

Interesting to see where he pops up.... he surely won’t sit the season out, his passion for the sport is obvious

#1324 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:44

Teds first ever link... for ITV-F1

https://twitter.com/...3281103872?s=20

#1325 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,664 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:37

https://www.skysport...nd-exclusive-f1

Ted Not mentioned in the press release.

Imbeciles.

Davidson gone too.

Davidson is still there

#1326 d246

d246

• 769 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:09

I feel for Virgin Media TV customers, they have been screwed over Sky Sports for years. I ditched their TV service myself a few years ago in favour of Sky, which admittedly was the reason why Sky didn't offer Virgin Media the same ability to offer Sky Sports F1 seperately.

Could you not keep the Virgin Media broadband and switch to Sky's TV service instead?

I'm with Virgin and hope that they get in touch prior to the first race to offer something better than the £35 it currently costs. If they don't, I won't!

Might be the first season since the late '80s that I won't be watching live.....

#1327 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:26

Any viewing figures for the f1 tests?

#1328 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,186 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:36

Wow, firing Ted is seems so monumentally stupid I wonder if there was so drama behind the scenes. Or is it about money? Either way it sucks for Sky, FOM or somebody else should hire him immediately.

#1329 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:36

If true big mistake from Sky F1. However.

Ted not being part of Sky's F1 coverage could well be a plus for all those that don't have sky. If he ends up at FOM hopefully ted's notebook will become a YouTube series.

#1330 Mat13

Mat13

• 1,762 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:50

Buxton's paddock pass, Ted's Notebook. FOM is going to have enough to fill a TV channel

Which would be more than Sky ever managed, despite the exorbitant price.

#1331 pdac

pdac

• 7,846 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:04

That's the problem with the monopoly of Sky. They don't need the best people because viewers that want full F1 coverage will buy it anyway.

So you end up with a bunch of meh people that apparently cannot speak up because they might get sacked. Perfect recipe for mediocrity.

I fear for the day Brundle calls it a day and that might be sooner than later.

Brundle's head is too swollen to consider leaving and I'd say he's really the only person Sky want to keep.

#1332 pdac

pdac

• 7,846 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:05

Wow, firing Ted is seems so monumentally stupid I wonder if there was so drama behind the scenes. Or is it about money? Either way it sucks for Sky, FOM or somebody else should hire him immediately.

He probably wanted a sandwich and punched the producer because he couldn't get one.

#1333 monolulu

monolulu

• 938 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:15

Does anyone actually know that Ted has been sacked? It’s possible he had a better offer being kept quiet at present or does not want to continue travelling all year.

#1334 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,183 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:21

Ted Kravitz lost the plot years ago. He made things up on the spot or indulged in conspiracy theories. Actual race coverage will be better off without him.

#1335 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 18,875 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:29

Does anyone actually know that Ted has been sacked? It’s possible he had a better offer being kept quiet at present or does not want to continue travelling all year.

He wasn't included in Sky F1's press release or launch trailer.

There are Twitter sources floating around (namely the infamous thejudge13) who have heard rumours.

The reputable journalist Maurice Hamilton recycled those same rumours this morning link and link2.

Industry analyst Motorsport Broadcasting says discussions are ongoing. link

Edited by TomNokoe, 23 February 2019 - 11:33.

#1336 Owen

Owen

• 12,909 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:52

I don’t get the fuss about whether he stays (or not). But I feel that’s just me lol.

#1337 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,216 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:11

I don’t get the fuss about whether he stays (or not). But I feel that’s just me lol.

I've not watched Sky, but when he was on BBC he was, how shall we say, not the strongest member of the team. When the excellent and incisive Chandok was announced as leaving C4 to go to Sky, I assumed it was to replace Kravitz. They are not from the same planet.

#1338 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,646 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:28

https://twitter.com/...272336660942849

Jp

#1339 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:29

So let me get this straight.

The guy with a sense of perspective about this ridiculous sport has gone.

yet the most moronic, utterly hated and loathed commentator ever to talk about F1 remains?

Tells you all you need to know about F1 and why I hardly watch it anymore, I literally cannot bear listening to Croft, I got up and walked out of a live show a few years ago because he was presenting it. The man is loathsome to me sorry.  

Ted was fine, he had a sense of perspective unlike most F1 people, and he did a great job, for me taking the piss out of Croft was all part of the day if I was watching, I just wish Brundle would do it too I suppose there are several million reasons a year why he does not.

Advertisement

#1340 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,748 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:38

I've not watched Sky, but when he was on BBC he was, how shall we say, not the strongest member of the team. When the excellent and incisive Chandok was announced as leaving C4 to go to Sky, I assumed it was to replace Kravitz. They are not from the same planet.

Whilst being very knowledgeable, I believe Chandhok to be yet another PC yes man.

Edited by milestone 11, 23 February 2019 - 14:25.

#1341 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,710 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 13:01

No Kravitz would be a huge loss. He was one of the few who reported some very interesting information about the drivers and teams. Croft will tell us over and over again that it's Hulkenberg driving the yellow Renault car.

He should go to F1TV and make a YouTube series without the Sky pay block. Just like Buxton noticed half of Europe was watching his paddock pass on the internet instead of NBC.

#1342 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 13:07

Crazy to think Sky would get rid of Ted when the first on my chopping block would have been Crofty. Someone who rates themselves too much, consistently makes mistakes, and turns commentary for a premier sport into no more than a child's play thing at times. If rumours are to be believed that he (Ted) and the new Sky owner have fallen out then I guess, for me, it shows that the latter is out of his depth. I agree that Ted is better off with FOM, if he goes there, increasing his reach, and having a little more freedom to present the information that he wants to without having these bs bant-fests with a darts commentator. There is no one more passionate in the F1 media scene than Ted.

#1343 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 13:08

No Kravitz would be a huge loss. He was one of the few who reported some very interesting information about the drivers and teams. Croft will tell us over and over again that it's Hulkenberg driving the yellow Renault car.

He should go to F1TV and make a YouTube series without the Sky pay block. Just like Buxton noticed half of Europe was watching his paddock pass on the internet instead of NBC.

Croft will tell us it's Bottas going around the outside of Vettel into turn one, and never bother to tell us that it was actually Hamilton. Then Kvyat will crash out.. apparently, but turns out it was Albon, and Kvyat was already out of the race 10 laps prior.

#1344 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 764 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 13:29

I'll be watching the highlights on CH4.

F1 for me is just a lifelong habbit now. I come here, I check out what's going on, but I just don't feel the magic like I used to.

Not sure if it's particularly because of what's happening to the sport,or just coz I'm getting old, but anyhow, I'm not paying to watch it that's for sure.

There was a time I absolutely would have and would miss my own wedding to watch a race if I had to ( I didn't do that tho). I remember I waited until the end of the Alonso/Schumacher battle at Imola before I would go to hospital to have my appendix examined. The doctor gave me a hell of an ear bashing and promptly removed it!  :lol:

Edited by Loosenut, 23 February 2019 - 13:31.

#1345 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,664 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 13:39

Yes, he's been sacked.

Let's just say, even if a moron makes a terrible decision there's usually people in an organisation who have the power to reverse it. The problem is, once bridges have been burnt, then it might not be possible to do so.

Edited by Jordan44, 23 February 2019 - 13:40.

#1346 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,685 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 13:54

I don't watch Sky F1 anymore so I don't care one way or the other but I never liked his style and I found him to be very rude too many times.

#1347 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 14:23

I don't watch Sky F1 anymore so I don't care one way or the other but I never liked his style and I found him to be very rude too many times.

In the F1 world Ted's blunt nature and forwardness was refreshing, at least for me. Certainly more effective than the repetitive and monotonous questioning of so many other F1 jounros/pundits.

#1348 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,153 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 14:31

In the F1 world Ted's blunt nature and forwardness was refreshing, at least for me. Certainly more effective than the repetitive and monotonous questioning of so many other F1 jounros/pundits.

Probably what lost his job, not a suited yes man. 

#1349 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,940 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 14:36

They sack Ted but keep Croft, one of the worst F1 commentators I've heard in the past 40 years, heck even Raymond Baxter wasn't that bad.

Mind blown! :rolleyes:     (makes me happy I cancelled SkyF1 last year though, right decision)

#1350 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,365 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 14:52

He wasn't included in Sky F1's press release or launch trailer.

On the side of the current discussion. Is there anywhere I can watch that darn trailer? Heard so much about it, but for some reason, and actual ad is not available in my country!