Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
1926 replies to this topic

#101 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:21

Here's a thought - Sky has prescence in all or most European countries...how long till they have exclusive rights in all of them?

How about one step further and Sky becomes the owner of the commercial rights owner?

Advertisement

#102 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,236 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:22

That sounds very generous to me. The legacy HD deal already inflates Sky F1 viewing figures. If that gets removed, I foresee it falling.

I am just throwing numbers there,not knowing what the real ones are. Someone made a post of going from 300K to 750K, down from 3 million - And that is naturally where F1 and it's powers are so incredibly fixated on the shortterm financial gain, selling the commercial rights for 100 years rank with as stupid a decision as any financial decision ever made.

:cool:

#103 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,039 posts

I guess the sport got tired of shooting itself in the foot all the time so it's announced these plans to try shooting itself in the head.

On the subject of which, Andrew Benson just tweeted this article from 2011. Sums it all up very well.

http://www.telegraph...e-suicidal.html

#104 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,642 posts

Their loss is our gainsborough nil.

Jp

#105 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:23

It's almost as if they are deliberately trying to kill the sport...

#106 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,971 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:23

I am just throwing numbers there,not knowing what the real ones are. Someone made a post of going from 300K to 750K, down from 3 million - And that is naturally where F1 and it's powers are so incredibly fixated on the shortterm financial gain, selling the commercial rights for 100 years rank with as stupid a decision as any financial decision ever made.

That wasn't a stupid decision, just a crooked one. I'm sure max got paid handsomely for that.

#107 crooky369

crooky369

• 367 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:24

Is it worth someone starting off a new single seater series?

I know the UK viewership figures are a drop in the ocean in relation to the worldwide but there's a lot of motorsport expertise and passion for it to happen. 

Probably best to start with a spec series with high revving naturally aspirated engines as most people seem to clamour for these since F1 moved to turbos. I think the crucial thing to it's success would be to get some well known names involved as well. Maybe starting with Button?

#108 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,292 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:26

Time for a new FOTA and teams starting their own championship? Red Bull might go for it...

#109 bass6

bass6

• 89 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:27

Watched F1 for 40 years since a kid  - been to live races in UK, Brazil, Oz, Spain, Italy; attended test sessions pre-season at Barcelona twice, regularly buy magazines and very regular visitor to F1 websites and this and other forums so I've been a serious fan.

This has killed it for me.  I'll enjoy two more years of the sport, then I'll start following touring cars, and any other racing that's free to air.

Anyone who thinks this is a good move for the future of F1 is too stupid to argue with.

#110 Burai

Burai

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:27

I know the UK viewership figures are a drop in the ocean in relation to the worldwide but there's a lot of motorsport expertise and passion for it to happen.

Probably best to start with a spec series with high revving naturally aspirated engines as most people seem to clamour for these since F1 moved to turbos. I think the crucial thing to it's success would be to get some well known names involved as well. Maybe starting with Button?

A1GP tried that. It launched as a rival to F1 but just became a winter series step on the ladder to F1 before dying because it couldn't pay its bills.

#111 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:28

I am surprised - I thought Sky had got fed up with F1 and would ditch it at the end of their current contract.

As too all the "its the end of the world" posts - get a grip.  Last season the general view was Sky's coverage was very similar to the BBC - now suddenly its "appalling" etc  I can also remember when Croft was lauded on here for his practice commentary - now he is crap as well.

People need to face facts FTA sport is pretty much dead - particularly for a sport that is increasingly dull and largely enjoyable only for the dedicated fan.

Edited by MinT, 23 March 2016 - 19:29.

#112 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:29

Time for a new FOTA and teams starting their own championship? Red Bull might go for it...

It may be good if Ferrari get their arses handed to them by Mercedes again this season. We know how unhappy Red Bull are with the state of F1. If Ferrari are disgruntled as well, then you who two key players that could be open to a rebooted series. I'm surprised there aren't more calls for a breakaway series considering how badly run F1 is and how unhappy everyone seems to be with it!

#113 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,292 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:29

Hopefully a team boss with some balls (Bob from Force India?) will say what a terrible idea this is for F1. He's got nothing to lose as his team and the sport is ****ed anyway.

#114 Araqiel

Araqiel

• 305 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:34

Yes - with 3,000km/h hover-cars, and it shall be called F-Zero. :cool:

Edited by Araqiel, 23 March 2016 - 19:34.

#115 Burai

Burai

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:36

Oh please, FOTA got the sport into this mess in the first place.

Remember how these men ousted Max to give power back to the teams?

8B1DvTs.jpg

The strategy group mess is all on them and how many of them are left in the sport to face the music?

#116 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

I am surprised - I thought Sky had got fed up with F1 and would ditch it at the end of their current contract.

As too all the "its the end of the world" posts - get a grip.  Last season the general view was Sky's coverage was very similar to the BBC - now suddenly its "appalling" etc  I can also remember when Croft was lauded on here for his practice commentary - now he is crap as well.

People need to face facts FTA sport is pretty much dead - particularly for a sport that is increasingly dull and largely enjoyable only for the dedicated fan.

BIB: My opinion of Sky F1 has been the same since I watched their coverage in their first season - it's poor, and I think this is a consistent view of a lot of people on here.

Crofty, I was one of those that quite liked him on BBC 5 Live when he commentated on practice, but that is different. He had a relatively minor role and his style worked on Radio, during practice where he had to be very descriptive and talk for periods where nothing was happening. Since moving to Sky, he has steadily become more tabloid and added more and more hype to his commentary, he regularly drones on about irrelevant garbage like 'who paid for the beers last night', or 'where are we going for dinner tonight?'

#117 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

Lol. I really don't understand why people are whining so much about this. Sky's coverage is excellent. People all over the world would be extremely happy if they have such a good quality F1 channel.

You guys in the UK do not like to pay for TV or what??!

#118 crooky369

crooky369

• 367 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:37

A1GP tried that. It launched as a rival to F1 but just became a winter series step on the ladder to F1 before dying because it couldn't pay its bills.

A1GP was quite a bit slower than F1 which instantly devalues it against the fastest cars in the world. I think with how technology has improved it'd be possible to build a spec chassis with more aggressive aero or ground effect design that would be as fast if not faster than F1 currently is. Get Michelin involved as well for some extra speed over a lap.

#119 swintex

swintex

• 534 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:37

:eek:  A million less?

Fewer?

Advertisement

#120 Burai

Burai

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:38

It may be good if Ferrari get their arses handed to them by Mercedes again this season. We know how unhappy Red Bull are with the state of F1. If Ferrari are disgruntled as well, then you who two key players that could be open to a rebooted series. I'm surprised there aren't more calls for a breakaway series considering how badly run F1 is and how unhappy everyone seems to be with it!

Because someone has to pay for it. Breakaway threats are what you do when you want a better deal from Bernie, not because you want to actually break away.

#121 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:39

Because someone has to pay for it. Breakaway threats are what you do when you want a better deal from Bernie, not because you want to actually break away.

Well it depends what your motivation is. You may want to genuinely break away and form a better series, but you have to put your feelers out to see if any other teams feel the same way.

#122 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,842 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:40

No way. The teams are a huge reason for the mess F1 is already in. As much as I dislike them, it has to be done with the help of the FIA.

#123 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,591 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:40

Honestly all it would take is Ferrari. If they would jump then it's on. 

#124 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,455 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:41

Lol. I really don't understand why people are whining so much about this. Sky's coverage is excellent. People all over the world would be extremely happy if they have such a good quality F1 channel.

Erm, everyone in the UK pays for TV.

#125 hdsport82

hdsport82

• 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:42

Shortsighted view.

Viewing figures will drop by millions. So that is at least hundreds of thousands of opportunities to inspire children to get in to go karting or to aspire to be an F1 engineer. Lewis Hamilton grew up watching F1 for free on TV, Adrian Newey no doubt did the same thing, alongside every other British F1 driver, mechanic, engineer and team boss. F1 employs a lot of highly-skilled people in the UK, companies like McLaren and Williams are industry leaders in some high-tech sectors, and with most of the teams based here, the government gets a nice big tax dividend from F1. It's obvious that by getting less and less exposure, all these aspects I mentioned will suffer over time.

As less people watch it over time, it becomes less likely new people will come to watch it because there will be less conversations about it, less buzz and generally less exposure. It will be seen as an extremely niche sport, not something that could hook you because it's on BBC 1 on a Sunday afternoon with millions watching live.

Lewis perhaps but Newey would have been 20 by the end of the first season (1978) that the BBC started regular F1 programming (highlights).  The biggest issue now as opposed to then is that the FTA highlights stuff will likely be buried on Pick or something.  It's been the same with BT's 'free' European football coverage barely anyone knows it's available on BT Sport Showcase. 

Maybe (and it doesn't seem likely at the moment) Sky might end up trying to recoup some of the cost by sub-licencing highlights to one of the main channels in a similar vein to ITV4 showing MotoGP highlights.

Edited by hdsport82, 23 March 2016 - 19:46.

#126 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,423 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:42

It is indeed a vicious cycle.  F1 in Britain is a minority interest so it isn't worth an FTA channel to pay the eyewatering fees for it so its left to a subscription channel that will cater to the small number prepared to pay for it.  This reduces the likelihood of new fans stumbling on the sport and getting into it causing the fanbase to shrink further.

#127 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,461 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:45

Six additional years of David Croft...

#128 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:46

On the subject of which, Andrew Benson just tweeted this article from 2011. Sums it all up very well.

http://www.telegraph...e-suicidal.html

3 months later Sky already had their foot in the door.

#129 Sheldon835

Sheldon835

• 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:46

Could be Bernie's final act of stupidity to further bury F1. Will be even be around in 2019?

I would not ever pay for the crappy coverage Sky provides, so bye bye F1 for me after 35 years.

#130 Kev00

Kev00

• 3,185 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:48

I am a sky viewer and I watch all the live stuff on sky f1. But this really is really terrible news for f1. Really is the beginning of the end... Or the middle of the end... Or the end of the end... Either way f1 is f*****d!

#131 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Well I think this ends my relationship with F1. The last few seasons have pushed me further away and this is just the final nudge. I do despair for the future of this sport. 

#132 crooky369

crooky369

• 367 posts

Honestly all it would take is Ferrari. If they would jump then it's on. 

Well obviously that would be great. To be honest I was thinking something quite small to begin with that would fill the motorsport void on terrestrial (in the UK) for people who liked F1 but not enough to join Sky. There's clearly loads of these people going by how viewing figures have gone down. 

#133 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

I'm not talking about TV licence. It's almost every European country.

#134 Burai

Burai

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:50

Well it depends what your motivation is. You may want to genuinely break away and form a better series, but you have to put your feelers out to see if any other teams feel the same way.

Again, who's paying for this?

#135 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:51

No, particularly when things we don't want are bundled into the price. It shares some similarity with the reason why many object to the TV license (though the latter is mandatory for any viewing of broadcast TV).

#136 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,455 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:52

I'm not talking about TV licence. It's almost every European country.

Thanks for making that clear. So what you meant was "Why do people in the UK not think £540 a year to watch F1 is good value?"

Clearly some do. The others? I guess that's a question for the economists.

#137 sabjit

sabjit

• 1,713 posts

Bernie must resign.

#138 ANF

ANF

• 7,993 posts

Now you'll get the chance to pay more!

#139 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:53

I am a sky viewer and I watch all the live stuff on sky f1. But this really is really terrible news for f1. Really is the beginning of the end... Or the middle of the end... Or the end of the end... Either way f1 is f*****d!

How do you receive Sky F1, as part of the Sky Sports package or the legacy-HD package?

Advertisement

#140 Kev00

Kev00

• 3,185 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:55

How do you receive Sky F1, as part of the Sky Sports package or the legacy-HD package?

I've got the full sky package

#141 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 19:58

1goE0py.jpg

Jp

#142 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:01

Thanks for making that clear. So what you meant was "Why do people in the UK not think £540 a year to watch F1 is good value?"

Clearly some do. The others? I guess that's a question for the economists.

I'm from Slovakia and I have Sky UK and obviously I had to pay more. It's still okay value.

#143 pdac

pdac

• 7,254 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:11

I wondered about F1 when I heard about the Sports Mix channel that Sky are launching. This all fits in well. They will show the highlights and a few races live on the Sports Mix channel and their hope will be to increase general (non-sport) subscriptions. I think that's what the Sports Mix channel is all about - they know that the premium sports market is somewhat over-subscribed now and they are trying to sell to a different market now - those who don't want the premium sports but might be attracted by F1 for 'free'.

#144 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 348 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:12

Looks like the sport is certainly now it's last decade. With how much is going on to tarnish it's name, this will be the last thing that breaks it. 

#145 slpierce

slpierce

• 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:13

Oh man.....

F1 is toast, Bernie knows it and is playing every card he can to milk the cow before she is done.

I think I'm gonna cancel Sky this evening and watch F1... Alternatively.

Same here, i watched the aus GP "alternatively" it wasn't bad either, coverage was equally as good as Sky Sports F! :) there getting no more money outta me.

#146 chhatra

chhatra

• 1,991 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:14

I honestly don't mind paying for a dedicated f1 channel.

The problem I have is paying for 5 other sports channels I have no need for. Also the quality had been in decline for the last 3 seasons.

The price for the Sky Sports package is £25 + £5.50 for HD.

That's £360 a year! Damn you Sky!

I would happily pay £10 per month to just watch Practice, Qualifying & Race without all these boring pre & after shows.

Having watched the MotoGP, I am impressed. They have fantastic graphics that really submerge you into the action without distrscting you from the main show. You can choose to pay €199 and get access to all the live action as well as classic races too.

I hate that the sport I love is doing its best to alienate it's fans.

For Shame Bernard, For Shame.

#147 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 17,072 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:14

Soon enough you'll have no Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Raikkonen etc. There won't be enough fans of the next generation to generate any excitement.

#148 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:18

I honestly don't mind paying for a dedicated f1 channel.

The problem I have is paying for 5 other sports channels I have no need for. Also the quality had been in decline for the last 3 seasons.

The price for the Sky Sports package is £25 + £5.50 for HD.

That's £360 a year! Damn you Sky!

I would happily pay £10 per month to just watch Practice, Qualifying & Race without all these boring pre & after shows.

Having watched the MotoGP, I am impressed. They have fantastic graphics that really submerge you into the action without distrscting you from the main show. You can choose to pay €199 and get access to all the live action as well as classic races too.

I hate that the sport I love is doing its best to alienate it's fans.

For Shame Bernard, For Shame.

I kinda agree but honestly if F1 wants to future proof itself it needs and I mean needs to move online. TV is dead, Millenials and the next generation are not watching it. F1 needs a online model where people can pay for a range of packages. I.e. For a season,for a race, pay additional for extra features like the pitlane and additional cameras. No one wants to pay several hundred Pounds a year for F1 whilst subsidising Murdoch's empire.

Edited by JRizzle86, 23 March 2016 - 20:19.

#149 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 956 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:20

As a South African I don't get the cries honestly...we lost free to air sport (including F1) 10 years ago. Pay TV really is where the sport broadcasting is going...it was bound to happen.

#150 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,236 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 20:22

There can be no break away.

The FIA have contracted their championship to FOM for the next 100 years, or what ever is left on that contract. No track can host the races without being sanctioned by the FIA, if they host without being sanctioned they can not host any FIA sanctioned races.

So no FIA, no alternate series regardless of how teams have on occasion talked them up.