Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2225 replies to this topic

#1851 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,971 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:55

How many more races are Sky going to use Sky one for broadcasting the races? At the moment it seems like they don't want to just rely on the F1 channel alone for ratings.

Advertisement

#1852 CL16

CL16

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:02

How many more races are Sky going to use Sky one for broadcasting the races? At the moment it seems like they don't want to just rely on the F1 channel alone for ratings.

As it stands the first 6 races are on skyone.

#1853 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 737 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:10

Esteban Ocon will be a pundit on CH4 tomorrow.

#1854 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,278 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:43

What’s the over/under on SkyF1 screwing up the Indycar broadcast today?

Jp

#1855 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 14:39

Ah, you've twigged.

#1856 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 16:25

Ah, you've twigged.

I think it's tactical. Channel 4 now have to promote Sky and Sky promote themselves by giving viewers a way to try out their channel. The problem is their overall product is awful and extremely overpriced so I can't see it bringing in vast numbers of new subscribers

#1857 Chick0

Chick0

• 135 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 22:23

Crofty has been absolutely unbearable this weekend.  :o  And i have no idea how has job talking Herbert when he struggles to put a sentence together that makes sense.  :confused:

#1858 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 22:29

Crofty has been absolutely unbearable this weekend.  :o  And i have no idea how has job talking Herbert when he struggles to put a sentence together that makes sense.  :confused:

Because according to the messiah and absolute TV genius Mr Scott Young, if you've been there and done it, it means you can communicate your experiences effectively to the viewer.

Edited by Jordan44, 13 April 2019 - 22:29.

#1859 TheFish

TheFish

• 619 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 22:35

He's sort of been there so he's sort of qualified to be sort of a pundit and sort of co-commentator on sort of F2 and will sort of talk for sort of 3 minutes whenever he's sort of asked a sort of question about sort of anything sort of.

Advertisement

#1860 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 7,946 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 00:46

He's sort of been there so he's sort of qualified to be sort of a pundit and sort of co-commentator on sort of F2 and will sort of talk for sort of 3 minutes whenever he's sort of asked a sort of question about sort of anything sort of.

Is that you, Johnny?

Hearing him struggle to put coherent sentences together and using sort of more than I care to mention is beyond grating.

#1861 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:00

Brundle doing the post-quali interviews means we are continually being robbed of him in the final ‘part-that-counts’ but of qualifying.

#1862 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:41

I feel sorry for Herbert, because Live TV is just not his thing. There's no shame in that, and he has to pay the bills. It's an odd decision from Sky, however.

#1863 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:43

I feel sorry for Herbert, because Live TV is just not his thing. There's no shame in that, and he has to pay the bills. It's an odd decision from Sky, however.

Especially when there’s a wealth of better options. Even Palmer does a great job for the BBC.

I guess Herbert is cheap.

#1864 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:46

Brundle vanishing again for the final laps...

The guy interviews the quali drivers and the podium finishers, but must be the only guy at the circuit who doesn’t watch the end of quali and the race!

#1865 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:33

Brundle vanishing again for the final laps...

The guy interviews the quali drivers and the podium finishers, but must be the only guy at the circuit who doesn’t watch the end of quali and the race!

Well he can't exactly be in two places at once...

#1866 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:40

Oh, right. Well that explains it. Cheers.

#1867 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:44

Rachel Brookes is an awful interviewer.

#1868 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 878 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:45

I get the idea behind hiring Herbert. He's British, a 3x grand prix winner who had a long career including a Le Mans win. Damon Hill won't do it. On paper it makes sense. But I agree, he doesn't really cut it. 

#1869 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 514 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:49

Rachel Brookes is an awful interviewer.

Although she's awful, she's still 100 times better than Dutch Ziggo interviewer Jack Plooij... I now this is a bit OT but I simply had to post it.

First we had an interview with Kvyat, who was clearly a bit angry. It was clear he was angry about the penalty and racecontrol.

Jack Plooij then asks wheter or not he's going to talk to the McLaren to clear the air.

To which Kvyat replies: "I don't care, I have my point of view and that's all that matters, man." He then walks out of the interview not wanting having to answer his stupid questions any longer.

Then we had his interview with Bottas

Jack Plooij: "You were fighting Leclerc, was that strange?"

To which Bottas replied (after looking confused for a few moments): "Sorry what do you mean?"

Ziggo and Jack Plooij have made such fools of themselves that they are not allowed to have 1-on-1 interviews anymore with the Renault drivers...

Instead of reflecting as to why that might be the case they are very bitter about it and are now openly ******* on Renault at every opportunity. Now they will definitely not be allowed to interview them anymore. 

#1870 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:56

You're talking about the same person who thought axing Ted was a good idea. Scott has no idea which direction Sky should go in, and how to improve it, he is a complete fraud. He was actually sacked by V8 Supercars yet somehow walked straight into the head role at Sky.

#1871 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,971 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:56

I think it's tactical. Channel 4 now have to promote Sky and Sky promote themselves by giving viewers a way to try out their channel. The problem is their overall product is awful and extremely overpriced so I can't see it bringing in vast numbers of new subscribers

6 races seems like a bit more than just giving viewers a way to try out their channel to me.

If the titles get wrapped up early by Merc I could well see the majority of the season being on Sky one.

#1872 DS27

DS27

• 3,415 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:58

So many people in roles they are not fit to serve - it's hard to get your head around.

#1873 Mishvili

Mishvili

• 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:38

During the after show I thought I heard Simon Lazenby say that Ted was doing a notebook. Did this happen of was it a bizarre slip of the tongue?

#1874 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 387 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:47

During the after show I thought I heard Simon Lazenby say that Ted was doing a notebook. Did this happen of was it a bizarre slip of the tongue?

It did.

Link: https://www.skysport...gp-the-notebook

#1875 pRy

pRy

• 16,077 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:20

What's happened to the FL indicator during the coverage? I'm sure I saw one during the Australian GP to indicate which driver currently held the FL. But it's now missing? Is it a consequence of me watching the highlights on C4 or is it not present during the live coverage either?

#1876 pRy

pRy

• 16,077 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:23

So Channel 4 have introduced a slightly annoying feature where when they cut to an ad break they play an audio clip from the next segment. If a drivers name is involved they bleep it out.

I wasn't too fussed about it at first but it acts as a form of spoiler towards the end when prior to the final ad break they play the audio of the winner crossing the line. What this tells the viewer is nothing else happened that was exciting. Sums up F1 really.

#1877 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:25

What's happened to the FL indicator during the coverage? I'm sure I saw one during the Australian GP to indicate which driver currently held the FL. But it's now missing? Is it a consequence of me watching the highlights on C4 or is it not present during the live coverage either?

There's a little purple clock to the left of the driver's name which indicates who has the fastest lap.

#1878 pRy

pRy

• 16,077 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:34

There's a little purple clock to the left of the driver's name which indicates who has the fastest lap.

Perhaps I'm going blind but I swear that wasn't present on C4 just now. I wonder if my TV image has cut it off.

#1879 fridge46

fridge46

• 280 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:46

Perhaps I'm going blind but I swear that wasn't present on C4 just now. I wonder if my TV image has cut it off.

I just watched the highlights on C4 - the purple clock has been there to the left of the drivers name.

Turn over to C4+1, it is next to Hamiltons name right now.

EDIT: Now Vettel :p

Edited by fridge46, 14 April 2019 - 15:47.

Advertisement

#1880 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:54

You're talking about the same person who thought axing Ted was a good idea. Scott has no idea which direction Sky should go in, and how to improve it, he is a complete fraud. He was actually sacked by V8 Supercars yet somehow walked straight into the head role at Sky.

...and yet I suspect he has better knowledge of television broadcasting than all of us combined.

There are many, many reasons why you can get sacked. Being sacked from one company because of professional differences doesn't make you instantly unemployable elsewhere in the same arena.

Jeremy Clarkson was sacked by the BBC, does that mean Amazon should never hire him?

Jonathan Legard left the BBC F1 team after two years, does that mean he should never commentate on a motor race again?

There are countless examples of people leaving and being sacked in the broadcasting world. It's part of the territory where people want to change things, some for the better and some for the worse.

Yes, Scott Young's view of what Sky F1 should be and yours may be different, but let's lay off the "he's a fraud" comments?

#1881 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:00

That's why you expect someone who is trying to provide good coverage to employ commentators who are not also interviewers.

In the past, everyone would let the competitors time to freshen up before they shoved a mike in front of their nose, but now it has to be done within seconds. This means either a commentary position within seconds of the finish point or separate commentators and interviewers.

Sky seem to employ a lot of people on their team yet they seem to have realised that Brundle is the only one who is of any worth. I can only assume that the rest of the bunch are their because Brundle is insisting on keeping them or else they are in a relationship with the producer.

#1882 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:02

...and yet I suspect he has better knowledge of television broadcasting than all of us combined.

There are many, many reasons why you can get sacked. Being sacked from one company because of professional differences doesn't make you instantly unemployable elsewhere in the same arena.

Jeremy Clarkson was sacked by the BBC, does that mean Amazon should never hire him?

Jonathan Legard left the BBC F1 team after two years, does that mean he should never commentate on a motor race again?

There are countless examples of people leaving and being sacked in the broadcasting world. It's part of the territory where people want to change things, some for the better and some for the worse.

Yes, Scott Young's view of what Sky F1 should be and yours may be different, but let's lay off the "he's a fraud" comments?

What has he done that's made a positive difference on Sky? He's kept the same dead wood on air. I can't believe in Australia he had the cheek to claim with a straight face "You have to have been there and done it" [To be a successful TV pundit] when he has people like Herbert employed. The man is well out of his depth. Anyone on this forum would do a better job.

Edited by Jordan44, 14 April 2019 - 16:03.

#1883 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:04

I get the idea behind hiring Herbert. He's British, a 3x grand prix winner who had a long career including a Le Mans win. Damon Hill won't do it. On paper it makes sense. But I agree, he doesn't really cut it. 

What you mean is "He was once a moderately successful British driver, so we need to ensure that he doesn't become destitute in his old age". It's a charitable operation to look after the needs of those who may otherwise fade to obscurity and poverty.

#1884 pRy

pRy

• 16,077 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:09

I just watched the highlights on C4 - the purple clock has been there to the left of the drivers name.

Turn over to C4+1, it is next to Hamiltons name right now.

EDIT: Now Vettel :p

Ah it's my TV image. The classification number is the last thing I can see to the left of the drivers names. Thanks for the clarification. 

Edited by pRy, 14 April 2019 - 16:09.

#1885 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 185 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:11

Although she's awful, she's still 100 times better than Dutch Ziggo interviewer Jack Plooij... I now this is a bit OT but I simply had to post it.

First we had an interview with Kvyat, who was clearly a bit angry. It was clear he was angry about the penalty and racecontrol.
Jack Plooij then asks wheter or not he's going to talk to the McLaren to clear the air.
To which Kvyat replies: "I don't care, I have my point of view and that's all that matters, man." He then walks out of the interview not wanting having to answer his stupid questions any longer.

Then we had his interview with Bottas
Jack Plooij: "You were fighting Leclerc, was that strange?"
To which Bottas replied (after looking confused for a few moments): "Sorry what do you mean?"

Ziggo and Jack Plooij have made such fools of themselves that they are not allowed to have 1-on-1 interviews anymore with the Renault drivers...
Instead of reflecting as to why that might be the case they are very bitter about it and are now openly ******* on Renault at every opportunity. Now they will definitely not be allowed to interview them anymore.

Out of interest, can you elaborate on the Renault incidents?

#1886 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:15

How about totally incompetent? He's lucky to be merely called a fraud.

#1887 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:17

I think D.M.N's point is that you don't need to name-drop the guy in every post.

#1888 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:23

I think D.M.N's point is that you don't need to name-drop the guy in every post.

Why not, he's very probably the crux of Sky's problems. Let's try charlatan.

#1889 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:24

I don't like the man, and coincidentally neither do the contractors I know who've worked with him.

#1890 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 5,299 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:28

He's dyslexic, which doesn't help when he has to be spontaneous.

His F2 commentary has improved this year, though, I suppose not having Jack George Russell competing there has helped.

Edited by Dalton007, 14 April 2019 - 16:29.

#1891 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:31

Expect them to hire Firman soon. He sat in an F1 car once.

#1892 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:57

What has he done that's made a positive difference on Sky? He's kept the same dead wood on air. I can't believe in Australia he had the cheek to claim with a straight face "You have to have been there and done it" [To be a successful TV pundit] when he has people like Herbert employed. The man is well out of his depth. Anyone on this forum would do a better job.

If you were Scott Young and making a list of people you'd want, the list would include several people who are currently employed by Channel 4, F1 themselves or another broadcaster.

Channel 4 / Whisper let Chandhok go (and that was partially because of the restrictions placed upon them), and clearly they were not prepared to let anyone else go to Sky without a fight (of course assuming the talent in question wanted to move to Sky). Sky could have requested that Channel 4 used their content (including presentation team), but Channel 4 quite rightly wanted their distinctive voice.

Great stuff for Channel 4, not great for Scott Young. Could throw a few more £££ at the talent question to persuade them, but then that money would need to be taken from elsewhere.

Sky did take Chandhok, who in my view was fantastic on Channel 4 and great so far on Sky, who has been unfairly criticised on social media for things beyond his control.

Do I think Sky handled the whole Kravitz situation appallingly? Absolutely. Do I think it was a crazy decision to begin with? Absolutely.

But, putting that aside for a second, there's not exactly an unlimited pool of F1 pundits out there waiting to work. If they're not on Sky or Channel 4 currently, there's not many other places for Young to realistically look without a left-wing option.

So when you say "he's kept some dead wood on air", these need to be factored for.

In terms of the actual content, it has definitely been hit and miss, a few glimpses of excellence, but these are few and far between. You also need to remember that broadcasting is absolutely a team effort, it takes a team to get each and every show on-air.

So if a show is sub-standard, then it is a collective failure rather than that of once person. Young may have the final say, but he won't have cut the individual features together, and may not have suggested them in the first place.

I'm not a Young apologetic, and he has not yet delivered for me. If we get to Spain and things have not improved, questions need to be asked.

#1893 richardnunney

richardnunney

• 70 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:02

I think the notebook felt forced today. It wasn't particularly enjoyable nor informing to watch.

#1894 BRG

BRG

• 16,958 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:03

He's dyslexic, which doesn't help when he has to be spontaneous

:confused:  I have some dyslexic friends and they have no problem being articulate.  Just don't ask them to write it down and spell it kawrecklee.  Jackie Stewart is dyslexic and nobody can get him to stop being spontaneous. 

#1895 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,646 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:14

I think the notebook felt forced today. It wasn't particularly enjoyable nor informing to watch.

And still by far their best segment of the whole show.

#1896 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:15

Ah it's my TV image. The classification number is the last thing I can see to the left of the drivers names. Thanks for the clarification. 

I didn't see it as a clock either, I just saw a thin purple line. I guess a new telly is on the shopping list.

#1897 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:23

... Could throw a few more £££ at the talent question to persuade them, but then that money would need to be taken from elsewhere.

My point is that Sky have a whole heap of useless individuals on their team. They could simply get rid of half of them and the coverage would not suffer one bit. So, perhaps getting rid of half of them and use the money to hire one or two who can actually do a decent job might be better.

I know that the primary objective of the team is not to appeal to the likes of us here but rather, to appeal to a less informed bunch who just want to be entertained. But it is not only possible, but achievable, to provide entertaining people who are actually knowledgeable, entertaining and can inform and educate the viewer. The clowns they have right now seem to just want to entertain each other.

Edited by pdac, 14 April 2019 - 19:24.

#1898 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 1,246 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:33

I didn't see it as a clock either, I just saw a thin purple line. I guess a new telly is on the shopping list.

It might be worth having a look in your TV menus and see if there's an option for "overscan" (try switching it off) or "1:1 pixel mapping" (try switching it on) and see if it makes any difference.

#1899 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:49

My point is that Sky have a whole heap of useless individuals on their team. They could simply get rid of half of them and the coverage would not suffer one bit. So, perhaps getting rid of half of them and use the money to hire one or two who can actually do a decent job might be better.

I know that the primary objective of the team is not to appeal to the likes of us here but rather, to appeal to a less informed bunch who just want to be entertained. But it is not only possible, but achievable, to provide entertaining people who are actually knowledgeable, entertaining and can inform and educate the viewer. The clowns they have right now seem to just want to entertain each other.

Martin could be the sole pundit (along with Ant Davidson when he is available) and it would be infinitely more informative than what they have now. Keep Ted in the pitlane. Drop eveyone else, including Karun, who doesn't live up to his C4 hype.

Edited by Jordan44, 14 April 2019 - 19:50.

Advertisement

#1900 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,250 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:17

I enjoyed Ted's foray into the comms box this week - fantastic to have him back. Ant Davidson was great all weekend.