Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2192 replies to this topic

#1901 pRy

pRy

• 15,851 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:48

I didn't see it as a clock either, I just saw a thin purple line. I guess a new telly is on the shopping list.

Are you on freeview? My TV is about 10 years old. 

Advertisement

#1902 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:21

Martin could be the sole pundit (along with Ant Davidson when he is available) and it would be infinitely more informative than what they have now. Keep Ted in the pitlane. Drop eveyone else, including Karun, who doesn't live up to his C4 hype.

Martin already has too much to do. I'd rather keep him in the commentary box for the whole commentary period and have another good pundit. I think there is a minimum number of people that you need to provide good coverage, but Sky have way too many and not of good quality (just because you are an ex F1 driver or even a world champion does not mean that you know anything about TV presentation).

#1903 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:23

I was watching on the old TV upstairs which has an RF feed from the Sky HD box. I was watching my Sky+ recording of the live race (7am does not exist for me :)).

#1904 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 1,844 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 23:10

So i see these skyf1 adverts everyday featuring Jenson Button yet he's not been in any coverage so far this year. Whats that about. I gather he will show up in Silverstone and never be seen again .

#1905 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,522 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:27

I think he is supposed to be appear in 5 races.

#1906 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,146 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:45

He was racing, this weekend

#1907 Cornholio

Cornholio

• 505 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:19

While on one hand its good a Sky subscription can cover many sports I watch including F1, didnt work out so well on Sunday. So I woke up and decided to watch the live football first (because I wouldnt be getting messages from friends about the race) they only went and announced the winner of the GP during the build up before I had the chance to watch the recording.

Small problems maybe but at least the BBC always had the decency to do the whole "look away now" thing when it comes to spoilers. It doesnt take much effort to just not say the result of the race taking place during sleep time on the show of an unrelated sport.

#1908 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:25

While on one hand its good a Sky subscription can cover many sports I watch including F1, didnt work out so well on Sunday. So I woke up and decided to watch the live football first (because I wouldnt be getting messages from friends about the race) they only went and announced the winner of the GP during the build up before I had the chance to watch the recording.

Small problems maybe but at least the BBC always had the decency to do the whole "look away now" thing when it comes to spoilers. It doesnt take much effort to just not say the result of the race taking place during sleep time on the show of an unrelated sport.

I can't count the number of times when the BBC were doing highlights and they hadn't yet been aired that the BBC news website would have a headline something like "Hamilton wins ...". They could have easily put a non-revealing headline, but it was right there on the front page (not even the sports section, the main page).

#1909 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 653 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:26

Can't really complain about things like news headlines on websites, if you want to avoid the result don't ratch the Internet.

Spoilers within other programming isn't very fair though

#1910 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,318 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:31

I think he is supposed to be appear in 5 races.

Jesus, they promote that like he would be there every race, 5 is really almost nothing....

#1911 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,749 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:37

Ted's absence has made me more appreciative of there being someone available who can leg it down to the garages mid race and find out what's up in developing situations. Good to have him back.

#1912 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:21

Anyone else think he was ‘trying too hard’ on the broadcast ?
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 17 April 2019 - 01:22.

#1913 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:12

Can't really complain about things like news headlines on websites, if you want to avoid the result don't ratch the Internet.

Spoilers within other programming isn't very fair though

It's not any old website - it's the BBCs website. Are we expected to not read the news on their website but, instead, wait until the news bulletins appear on the TV because the website will spoil it, but the TV will give a "look away now" warning? Maybe the BBC should not be on the internet, if that's the case.

#1914 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,393 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:23

The Chinese GP highlights on C4 did rubbish. Maybe the evening slot is better

#1915 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,193 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:32

The Chinese GP highlights on C4 did rubbish. Maybe the evening slot is better

Hard to make a highlights programme interesting when 99% of the "race" was dull as dishwater.

#1916 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,175 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:39

He's sort of been there so he's sort of qualified to be sort of a pundit and sort of co-commentator on sort of F2 and will sort of talk for sort of 3 minutes whenever he's sort of asked a sort of question about sort of anything sort of.

Sounds like Mark Blundell in the ITV days with his "fings wot I fink"!  By all accounts a lovely chap and a good driver manager, but not what you'd describe as eloquent.

#1917 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,329 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:59

[mod]
Posts removed. Please keep the jokes to a certain standard and please don't comment on other posters' personality.
[/mod]

#1918 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:18

[mod]
Posts removed. Please keep the jokes to a certain standard and please don't comment on other posters' personality.
[/mod]

Oooh! What did I miss?

#1919 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 15:45

Hard to make a highlights programme interesting when 99% of the "race" was dull as dishwater.

Maybe. But I'd prefer to see a programme where at least 2/3rds is the race. Not 2/3rds Karun, Coulthard and whoever. Formula E on You Tube is great. Watch it live, later, when you want. With or without chat. Pause when you make a cup of tea . . . 

Anyway, I read that Ch 4s F1 audience has dropped by half, even with highlights at peak viewing time.

Advertisement

#1920 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 15:59

Given that Sky have also broadcast the early races live on Sky 1, I guess that is only to be expected - I doubt that the Sky F1 subscriptions have gone exponentially, as Sky would be bragging like hell if that had happened.

Not seen any figures for this years, apart from the Sky bragging after the first race.

#1921 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:14

Given that Sky have also broadcast the early races live on Sky 1, I guess that is only to be expected - I doubt that the Sky F1 subscriptions have gone exponentially, as Sky would be bragging like hell if that had happened.

Not seen any figures for this years, apart from the Sky bragging after the first race.

It's not so much the cost of F1 itself on Sky as the cost on top of all the other stuff. The F1 subscription is far better value . . .  I wonder how many people in UK are watching that with a VPN? The new Opera browser comes with a VPN for free.

#1922 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,202 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:44

Highlight has lots of possibilities like showing lapse of laptimes and comparisons between drivers in immediate battles, differences in inlap/outlap/pistop and why position swap happened or driver A and B are suddenly in battle despite never being close before pitstop, you can even make DRS pass interesting by presenting actual speed data from corner exit to straight end and tyre and strategy differences and all that. Of course focus on those technical side like PU and aero. Even boring races have lots going on and can easily be made very interesting for highlights. That these broadcasters dont do that, dont deal with numbers and maths and engineerings but only rely on superficial actions is just lazy and incompetence, or lack of resources to enable that.

#1923 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:59

Anyway, I read that Ch 4s F1 audience has dropped by half, even with highlights at peak viewing time.

The race being compared in the report in question was looking at year-on-year comparisons of the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Last year, Channel 4 aired that race live, whereas this year they aired it in highlights form, so on that basis Channel 4's audience is bound to be lower. The report failed to mention that Channel 4 last year split their race day programme into three, thus inflating the highest figure (which they used for their comparison).

The report failed to mention that Sky's own viewing figures for Bahrain increased compared with last year, and also failed to account for Sky's decision to air the race on Sky One (deflating the Channel 4 audience further).

Baku onwards will give us a better picture of Channel 4's figures when the race does not air live on Sky One.

#1924 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 17:24

The race being compared in the report in question was looking at year-on-year comparisons of the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Last year, Channel 4 aired that race live, whereas this year they aired it in highlights form, so on that basis Channel 4's audience is bound to be lower. The report failed to mention that Channel 4 last year split their race day programme into three, thus inflating the highest figure (which they used for their comparison).

The report failed to mention that Sky's own viewing figures for Bahrain increased compared with last year, and also failed to account for Sky's decision to air the race on Sky One (deflating the Channel 4 audience further).

Baku onwards will give us a better picture of Channel 4's figures when the race does not air live on Sky One.

Oh, I thought someone mentioned that Sky were showing the first 6 races live on Sky One. If that's not the case, then I'll say goodbye now (count me as one down on the C4 coverage - I can't be bothered with highlights hours after the race)

#1925 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 19:04

Oh, I thought someone mentioned that Sky were showing the first 6 races live on Sky One. If that's not the case, then I'll say goodbye now (count me as one down on the C4 coverage - I can't be bothered with highlights hours after the race)

pdac, to keep an eye on whether a race is or is not on Sky One visit https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/

D.M.N is the owner of it and he has official information. Yes, someone on here did say that Sky One were showing the first six races live but I don't know where they got it from. Motorsport Broadcasting is a very reliable source.

#1926 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:06

pdac, to keep an eye on whether a race is or is not on Sky One visit https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/

D.M.N is the owner of it and he has official information. Yes, someone on here did say that Sky One were showing the first six races live but I don't know where they got it from. Motorsport Broadcasting is a very reliable source.

Yes, thanks. I did know that D.M.N was the one in the know. I guess the party is over, then.

#1927 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:18

^Yeah he doesn't really like to say it on here - doesn't want to self promote and all that. Good on him.

He does an outstanding job with his blog.

#1928 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:50

Looks like Lee McKenzie will be in Baku. Must be filling in somewhere. I think Mark Webber will be filling in for DC?

#1929 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 875 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:55

It is more likely to be down to the Aspect Ratio settings on their TV than anything else. Overscan or something similar, depending on who manufactured the TV.

#1930 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 875 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:59

Anyone else think he was ‘trying too hard’ on the broadcast ?
Jp

Yes, especially on Friday. I sensed a bit of tension between them all during the sessions.

It was also obvious on his Notebook that he was on a much shorter leash than he used to be too. Hopefully they will loosen it a bit so that the Notebook can regain the freedom that made it arguably the best part of Sky's coverage.

#1931 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,749 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 16:25

I hope so, because this article about the overly deferential, stick together, old boys network that is UK football punditry made me think of how F1 is presented here in the UK, especially this bit:

One of the most tellingly ludicrous punditry rows of the past few years saw then Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius react to some criticism by Gary Neville, only for Neville to suggest it wasn’t his place to do so. The row was soon joined by Gary’s brother Phil, who warned Karius to “say nothing to no one” and “keep your mouth shut”, before even Jürgen Klopp was wading in and demanding “Why do we let them talk about players on television?”
On and on it goes. The one set of people this cosy approach never serves is the fans. At its worst, it merely reinforces a great, dreary hierarchy that ever so ’umble individuals are meant to observe. And yet, the only people that sort of established deference tends to please are those being deferred to. Supporters – in fact, anyone paying for analysis via any kind of media subscription – deserve much more openness.

Applied to F1, this manifests as an over reliance on drawing from within the industry instead of trusting that  professional broadcasters can add to the mix. It's a mistake, because for all the insider insight that the ex-pro can theoretically share, in reality they are subject to divided loyalties at best and a desire not to upset their friends at worst. Which is arguably sweet and loyal but get enough of them together and it's very backslappy and stale and I don't think hiring ever more drivers is going in the right direction.

#1932 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,123 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 17:25

I think Sky Sports Premier League is far superior to Sky Sports F1.

#1933 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 812 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 18:40

I hope so, because this article about the overly deferential, stick together, old boys network that is UK football punditry made me think of how F1 is presented here in the UK, especially this bit:

One of the most tellingly ludicrous punditry rows of the past few years saw then Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius react to some criticism by Gary Neville, only for Neville to suggest it wasn’t his place to do so. The row was soon joined by Gary’s brother Phil, who warned Karius to “say nothing to no one” and “keep your mouth shut”, before even Jürgen Klopp was wading in and demanding “Why do we let them talk about players on television?”
On and on it goes. The one set of people this cosy approach never serves is the fans. At its worst, it merely reinforces a great, dreary hierarchy that ever so ’umble individuals are meant to observe. And yet, the only people that sort of established deference tends to please are those being deferred to. Supporters – in fact, anyone paying for analysis via any kind of media subscription – deserve much more openness.

Applied to F1, this manifests as an over reliance on drawing from within the industry instead of trusting that  professional broadcasters can add to the mix. It's a mistake, because for all the insider insight that the ex-pro can theoretically share, in reality they are subject to divided loyalties at best and a desire not to upset their friends at worst. Which is arguably sweet and loyal but get enough of them together and it's very backslappy and stale and I don't think hiring ever more drivers is going in the right direction.

Which is why historically the ex-racer was more of a sidekick. Think James Hunt to Murray walker, or JYS' contributions to Indy 500 commentaries. In the early 90s John Watson on Eurpsport seemed equal at Allard Kalff. And of course at times Martin Brundle has proven to be an excellent broadcaster.

But in general, the "expert" has been for colour and an opinion from someone who has been there and done it....they do often have divided loyalties even if they also sometimes provide valuable insight. 

When ITV took on F1, they got Jim Rosenthal to anchor the show..."Cheesy Jim" had not previously had any interest in motorsport and mostly anchored boxing broadcasts and the football world cup. But he was a professional broadcaster who manage to inject enthusiasm into the show. As the years rolled on, he developed knowledge of the sport and I felt a fondness for it too which also rubbed off on his broadcasting.

It's important to have someone who knows what it's like to race a car, but also important to have professional broadcasters.

#1934 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 332 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 19:23

Let me be the first to give a warm congratulations and thank you to an integral and underappreciated member of the Sky F1 team. A man whose silky voice, great enthusiasm, biting wit and, dare I say, cheesy puns, has brought so much to so many Formula 1 fans for so long.

I am talking about none other than the colourful and friendly Mr. David RR Croft.

David RR Croft was named after his mentor and idol J RR Tolkien Martin and has continued his uniquely deft use of language, colourful turn of phrase and epic, perhaps grandiose, ability to tell a story. Both have been closely associated over the year to Elves; Tolkien to the Rivendale variety of elves and Crofty to the Herbert variety. These mystical and whimsical creatures are only rivaled in their strangeness by the Tolkien hobbit, or in Crofty's case the "Anthony Davidson".

Anyway, happy birthday (whenever it is) to the great man and God bless. It brings me great joy to hear how much he annoys the common F1 fan. :lol:

david-croft-s.jpg

#1935 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 19:48

No Martin Brundle this weekend by the why, FYI. 

#1936 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 21:30

Highlights are for those who don't watch the race live for whatever reason....Or am I missing something?

#1937 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 21:37

Highlight has lots of possibilities like showing lapse of laptimes and comparisons between drivers in immediate battles, differences in inlap/outlap/pistop and why position swap happened or driver A and B are suddenly in battle despite never being close before pitstop, you can even make DRS pass interesting by presenting actual speed data from corner exit to straight end and tyre and strategy differences and all that. Of course focus on those technical side like PU and aero. Even boring races have lots going on and can easily be made very interesting for highlights. That these broadcasters dont do that, dont deal with numbers and maths and engineerings but only rely on superficial actions is just lazy and incompetence, or lack of resources to enable that.

Exactly.

Also showing the footage of  directors brain farts on live feed!....The entirety of Pierre Gasly's fastest  lap of the China race for example.

#1938 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 725 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:01

BBC Radio 5 coverage this weekend features Jolyon Palmer (in the "Crofty" role) and Max Chilton. They were pretty decent in FP1.

#1939 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:13

BBC Radio 5 coverage this weekend features Jolyon Palmer (in the "Crofty" role) and Max Chilton. They were pretty decent in FP1.

That's an interesting combo. As drivers I found them to be very boring, one-dimensional guys.

Advertisement

#1940 fosters35

fosters35

• 212 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:14

I was just about to come here and post about how good they are too (even tho i didn't like them as drivers).
They work well together and actually quite refreshing after the awfull Croft and somewhat stale and tired Brundle now.

Edited by fosters35, 26 April 2019 - 13:15.

#1941 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,336 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:40

That's an interesting combo. As drivers I found them to be very boring, one-dimensional guys.

Their skill is something most of us could only dream of. OK, they're not among the top handful of racing drivers in the world, but that applies to about seven billion of us.

#1942 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:51

Drivers are generally not allowed to show personality, it upsets the sponsors. 

#1943 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,114 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:53

The quality of Sky's broadcast diminishes by the race.

#1944 chrisj

chrisj

• 838 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 14:36

It happens with long-time print "journalists", too. Joe Saward is an example of someone who basically writes propaganda. All these guys like the lifestyle, insider access, getting fed by the teams, etc. so they're not about to upset anyone.

#1945 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,865 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 18:45

How is it possible to hide your personality? ..Even on these anonymous forums It's fairly easy to work out someones profile! :D

#1946 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 19:14

How is it possible to hide your personality? ..Even on these anonymous forums It's fairly easy to work out someones profile! :D

Politicians do it all of the time. They even have people to train them how to. I'm sure drivers probably have a bit of coaching on that front too.

#1947 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 19:41

Their skill is something most of us could only dream of. OK, they're not among the top handful of racing drivers in the world, but that applies to about seven billion of us.

Didn't say a word about their skill as drivers.

Still, it is no surprise that Brundle worked out well as a commentator. Nor that Coulthard works well in TV. Probably we'll enjoy Button as well. Don't think any are surprised that Herbert is like he is during broadcasts either. Di Resta works well as a commentator, but at the same time, he doesn't radiate passion and excitement during his TV gigs. Just like he is as a driver.

To put both Palmer and Chilton in at the same time, and in addition, not go the US-route with 3 commentators was a bit surprising. As long as it works, it's a good idea though :)

#1948 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,989 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 19:51

Palmer has been almost doing lead commentator role for some time to me he often eclipses Jack Nichols during many of their shared R5 broadcasts.

Seems to me that the best ex-drivers who to take the commentary role are those the who did not quite make it in F1 - maybe because, as a well known driver coach once told me, those running at the back of the field are often driving much harder than those at the front.

#1949 pRy

pRy

• 15,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 20:40

Looks like Lee McKenzie will be in Baku. Must be filling in somewhere. I think Mark Webber will be filling in for DC?

Great news.

#1950 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 782 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:22

Palmer has been almost doing lead commentator role for some time to me he often eclipses Jack Nichols during many of their shared R5 broadcasts.

Seems to me that the best ex-drivers who to take the commentary role are those the who did not quite make it in F1 - maybe because, as a well known driver coach once told me, those running at the back of the field are often driving much harder than those at the front.

I listen to those broadcasts and I think Palmer has a massive chip on his shoulder about those at the front. Some might hear it as ‘telling it how it is’, but he just sounds a bit jealous to me. I’m sure some of it is a joke, but every now and then he gets all serious and refuses to back down even if he’s wrong. I like him most of the time but sometimes he just gets a bit up himself.

With regards to the ‘those at the back are driving harder than those at the front’, surely that’s stating the obvious isn’t it? The better cars at the front are inherently easier to drive.