Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2225 replies to this topic

#2001 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 16:14

I feel like a broken record in this thread - but once again, I’m just fed up of the constant in-jokes with the Sky team. David Croft needs to bear in mind his commentary is getting broadcast to millions of people all around the world, not just the 3 Stooges in the Sky trailer.

Exactly why does he need to understand this? That's not his problem, that's the job of his boss. He does what he thinks is needed. If it's wrong, then his boss should tell him. On the other hand, if he's praised by his boss (which appears to be the case), then he knows he's doing exactly what is wanted.

Advertisement

#2002 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 16:26

Depressing, but not surprising at all.

Amazed the teams have let it happen.

Looking at the responses to that tweet, almost exclusively, lays the problem firmly at the door of F1 programming. I agree. One said I only watch Indycar now, so they clearly have a sub. This week's production has been diabolically bad, without doubt, the worst that I've witnessed.

#2003 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 16:31

Exactly why does he need to understand this? That's not his problem, that's the job of his boss. He does what he thinks is needed. If it's wrong, then his boss should tell him. On the other hand, if he's praised by his boss (which appears to be the case), then he knows he's doing exactly what is wanted.

We've already established that his boss is totally incompetent.

#2004 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 17:02

We've already established that his boss is totally incompetent.

No we've established that his boss does not understand what fans like us want. But the assumption - that is possibly incorrect - is that Sky is producing F1 coverage for the likes of us. It may well be that they are producing the show for a particular viewer type and, unfortunately for them, that viewer type does not seem to be flocking to sign up for their service.

#2005 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,207 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 17:06

I cannot square the Croft of whom I read and have heard clips with the insightful, intelligent man who used to commentate on Free Practice for the BBC.  Was he holding-back his hyperbolic tendancies then, or is he over-playing them now, I wonder?  Am I the only one here who recalls that Free Practice coverage?

Edited by cpbell, 29 April 2019 - 17:06.

#2006 Sndr

Sndr

• 270 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 17:10

I guess you'll be sort of on suicide watch if you view the F2 races.  :lol:

yeah, but lately the sub-par engineering behind F1TV has been preventing the worst.

Edited by Sndr, 29 April 2019 - 17:10.

#2007 stewie

stewie

• 3,048 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 17:14

Looking at the responses to that tweet, almost exclusively, lays the problem firmly at the door of F1 programming. I agree. One said I only watch Indycar now, so they clearly have a sub. This week's production has been diabolically bad, without doubt, the worst that I've witnessed.

That was me ;-) I'm watching on Sky Go thanks to a family member who has a spare log in.

#2008 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 18:25

No we've established that his boss does not understand what fans like us want.

Does that not mean that he is incompetent?

#2009 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 18:37

I cannot square the Croft of whom I read and have heard clips with the insightful, intelligent man who used to commentate on Free Practice for the BBC. Was he holding-back his hyperbolic tendancies then, or is he over-playing them now, I wonder? Am I the only one here who recalls that Free Practice coverage?

You're not alone cpbell. Sadly though, what we have now I believe to be the real Croft.
Who, in their right mind, wants to listen to this pompous arse adopt the role of devil's advocate, for the hell of it, and argue incessantly with all and sundry, for 20 minutes, on the merits of Gasly's penalty. Other than his appalling tripe over recent years, I've been pretty much on the fence with regard the overall production, this year, it's almost unwatchable.

Edited by milestone 11, 29 April 2019 - 18:37.

#2010 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,814 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 18:53

Clarkson, May and Hammond are funny at least.

Handy for Liberty to make the case that the need for a British GP has diminished through a drop in interest. :rolleyes: :mad:

Liberty don't care about the viewing figures, it doesn't affect their income.

#2011 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 19:48

Does that not mean that he is incompetent?

No, because he understands what HIS target audience want - not the same thing.

#2012 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 19:49

Liberty don't care about the viewing figures, it doesn't affect their income.

And Sky don't care about die-hard F1 fans, because they will make money out of them no matter what they put on (as long as they have exclusive live coverage).

Edited by pdac, 29 April 2019 - 19:49.

#2013 azza200

azza200

• 94 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 21:08

And Sky don't care about die-hard F1 fans, because they will make money out of them no matter what they put on (as long as they have exclusive live coverage).

That is so true and Sky rarely give up a sport unless they are told or someone out buy's them for the coverage. The way i see it now that Sky have F1 exclusively it's going to be a long time before it ends up back on free tv permanently.  The damage is already being done with with it being behind the Paywall in the UK. Even when the contract ends in 2024, i can't see Sky letting another broadcaster take it off them, as others have said they will just give more money to FOM to keep the right's & exclusivity of having F1. As that is how Sky operates 

Edited by azza200, 29 April 2019 - 21:12.

#2014 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 701 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 21:29

Ted, Coulthard and Lee McKenzie will help front the W-Series coverage.

https://bit.ly/2DCxsal

Interesting that Ted is heading there as pit lane reporter... I know it’s only 6 races, but seems a bit strange when he has such good gigs in f1.

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 29 April 2019 - 21:29.

#2015 potmotr

potmotr

• 11,092 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 21:49

Ted, Coulthard and Lee McKenzie will help front the W-Series coverage.

https://bit.ly/2DCxsal

Interesting that Ted is heading there as pit lane reporter... I know it’s only 6 races, but seems a bit strange when he has such good gigs in f1.

Ted probably knows the writing is on the wall for him at Sky given the debacle at the start of this season.

#2016 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 22:14

No, because he understands what HIS target audience want - not the same thing.

Does he?, I think that you're well wide of the mark with that contention. He is incompetent because he doesn't understand who his audience actually are. Neither, does he understand the audience that he thinks that he is targeting. That in my book is wholly incompetent.
Frankly, I've no idea where it is that your coming from.

#2017 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 22:42

Ted probably knows the writing is on the wall for him at Sky given the debacle at the start of this season.

I suspect that he signed up for this during the period that he was sacked. This is probably why he is only doing 13-14 GP's.
I agree with you that he won't be around much longer, he's currently stifled and far from the Ted that has been around for 20 years.

#2018 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,439 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 22:56

I thought Di Resta was good on commentary tbf

#2019 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 23:32

Does he?, I think that you're well wide of the mark with that contention. He is incompetent because he doesn't understand who his audience actually are. Neither, does he understand the audience that he thinks that he is targeting. That in my book is wholly incompetent.
Frankly, I've no idea where it is that your coming from.

I'm coming from the point of view that everyone involved in the Sky F1 coverage seems to be quite comfortable in their position. They are moving more and more away from what I would consider to be a decent level of coverage and no one seems to be under any pressure to bring it back into line. That to me says that it's all being done with the blessings of the higher-ups.

Advertisement

#2020 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 23:52

I'm coming from the point of view that everyone involved in the Sky F1 coverage seems to be quite comfortable in their position. They are moving more and more away from what I would consider to be a decent level of coverage and no one seems to be under any pressure to bring it back into line. That to me says that it's all being done with the blessings of the higher-ups.

Well if numbers are dropping, as is suggested, they'll have to have a major rethink. With the monopoly that they currently enjoy, any upper management with half a brain, would want to capitalise on that. They're seeing and doing the opposite. I struggle to believe that they are all so stupid as to pursue a failing business model.

#2021 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,672 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:03

I thought Di Resta was good on commentary tbf

Still feel Davidson is a better choice.

While Brundle got the history, the knowledge, the connections. I cannot help but feel that he is getting a bit tired of it all.

#2022 JensonsButton

JensonsButton

• 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:35

I think it’s an absolute travesty that they ship Ant out and he gets a couple of free practice sessions at best. He is by far, IMO, the best sky have on their roster.

Whoever thought putting Herbert in the comms box is, sort of, an idiot....Palmer did Monaco last year didn’t he, I thought he was pretty superb!

#2023 potmotr

potmotr

• 11,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:54

I think Sky should be leaning much more heavily in the direction of Davidson and di Resta and (if he's available) Button.

They have experience which is actually relevant and it shows.

I find Davidson especially can articulate the nuance of what is happening extremely well.

That said, he was terrible as part of the Croft-Davidson twosome, but I blame Croft for that.

#2024 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:13

Well if numbers are dropping, as is suggested, they'll have to have a major rethink. With the monopoly that they currently enjoy, any upper management with half a brain, would want to capitalise on that. They're seeing and doing the opposite. I struggle to believe that they are all so stupid as to pursue a failing business model.

I'm not defending them, I'm simply trying to explain what I see as an observer.What I see is that Sky clearly have different ideas to most of us here. I'm not going to judge whether they are right or wrong, I'm simply going to say that, if I were in charge, it would be different.

Who knows, maybe they have someone at the top who detests F1 and all it stands for and has a cunning plan to destroy the UK market completely. If that's the case, then they're working along the right lines.

#2025 CSF

CSF

• 841 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:36

The highlight of the weekend was the hate in Christian Horner's voice when discussing Gasly's penalty with Crofty. Christian's attempts to get his point across in a calm fashion were ruined by the shouty man shouting over him, and Mr Horner had enough. Every time he came back on we could feel the tension, mainly due to Crofty's attempts to treat it all as a big JOKE.

Add in Will Buxton's STRONG DEFENCE OF EXPERT CROFTY, and we have a classic F1 media weekend... 

#2026 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,832 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:01

As many have already said, the biggest problem with David Croft is that, multiple times a weekend when there is some form of "debate", he purposely chooses the "negative" side and plays the pantomime-villain.

It is always very obvious that he doesn't believe his own arguments, and that he is simply being contrarian.

I'm not sure if this is his idea of "banter", but there is clearly a belief within SKY F1 that they think think the viewer will enjoy the "drama" between presenters.

It is so phenomenally juvenile and transparent. Awful TV.

#2027 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 878 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:01

Everything about Sky's F1 programming suggests strongly that it is not aimed at long term followers of F1. 

Let's face it...by now they've either persuaded us to fork over the dosh or we're not going to. They're going to have to recoup their "investment" in F1 by picking up more subscriptions from people who are new to F1 or by persuading occasional viewers that they would benefit from watching every race/session. Thus the "wooooeee" "exciting" presentation....the manufactured excitement, the hyperbole....Liberty do their bit with the childish graphics too. 

It is not aimed at most of us here. It's aimed at grabbing the attention of people who don't usually watch. the real problem is that they're not able to strike a balance whereby existing (long term) fans are happy and new audiences are enticed. What do we have to look forward to in the future? Drivers parachuting into the paddock to the strains of "Eye Of The Tiger" wearing bejewelled race suits? A manufactured family feud hyped to the maximum such as Max telling Mick "I'm a gonna whoop your ass for what your daddy did to my daddy" ?

I can forgive someone playing devil's advocate if it adds to the show, if Croft (or anyone else) is interviewing an influential figure and says "Ah, but some people say *this* is why XYZ happened today" it can elicit a more informative answer than simply asking "What happened today?"....but that's not what Croft does. 

It's becoming juvenile and heading towards puerile.

#2028 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 2,375 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:03

Yes, Sky is wearing thin - and because of their lock out, I can't even sign up to F1TV.  Beyond annoying.

#2029 jules153

jules153

• 205 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:21

Jones on Channel 4, presumably contractually forced, to mention that the race was live on SKY F1 was a real low point... dirty tactics SKY.... :evil:

On the plus side I enjoyed Webber with Ben on the commentary. His "oh no, it's the old mirror signal reverse!" quip when RIC crashed into KYV had me laughing. He knew his stuff too :up:

Edited by jules153, 30 April 2019 - 11:22.

#2030 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:50

I found it notable that Sky were still heavily advertising the F1 channel on radio and TV in the run up to Baku.

It obviously goes hand in hand with the viewing figures. I don't think they've advertised this 'late' in previous years.

#2031 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,814 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:10

I doubt that the falling numbers have much to do with the team, but an awful lot to do with the price and F1 itself failing.

#2032 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,814 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:13

I found it notable that Sky were still heavily advertising the F1 channel on radio and TV in the run up to Baku.

It obviously goes hand in hand with the viewing figures. I don't think they've advertised this 'late' in previous years.

I see and hear ads for Sky channels all the time. Even if the numbers were going up they would still be advertising.

#2033 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:36

I doubt that the falling numbers have much to do with the team, but an awful lot to do with the price and F1 itself failing.

https://twitter.com/...571781070630913

Hardly surprising when the sport in the UK is behind a paywall, what did they expect to happen

#2034 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,448 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 13:00

Walking through the not so glamorous parts of Gloucester (England) I was struck by the number of Sky Sports F1 adverts on billboards. But then Gloucester is well cabled up and has been for years.

I do wonder what state F1 will be in come 2024 when the current deal is up for renewal. Lewis Hamilton could be the last really well known British WDC.

#2035 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 878 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 17:34

Sky will have paid for the ads (billboards, TV and radio) months ago in all likelihood. They advertise a lot...certainly not just F1....other sports, their flagship drama shows etc.

#2036 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 664 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 17:43

The main thing Sky need to work on is getting closer to the quality of Channel 4 who have been showing them up the whole time they've had the rights

#2037 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 701 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 18:12

The main thing Sky need to work on is getting closer to the quality of Channel 4 who have been showing them up the whole time they've had the rights

I’d imagine next year Sky will cut the cord and the highlights deal will expire. Then they can hoover up the CH4 team on the cheap. Maybe bring Whisper in to do the Sky coverage for them.

#2038 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,341 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 20:20

TV companies never listen to their audience though. Snooker watchers loathe John Virgo with a passion, but the BBC will employ him until he drops dead for reasons unknown.

#2039 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 20:29

I’d imagine next year Sky will cut the cord and the highlights deal will expire. Then they can hoover up the CH4 team on the cheap. Maybe bring Whisper in to do the Sky coverage for them.

Or they could simply leave it as it is or maybe get Rylan on the team.

Advertisement

#2040 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 20:30

TV companies never listen to their audience though. Snooker watchers loathe John Virgo with a passion, but the BBC will employ him until he drops dead for reasons unknown.

This exactly.

The producers and directors have their own ideas and they're not about to listen to Joe public telling them that they are wrong.

#2041 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,517 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 21:46

I didn't get where I am today by listening to my customers.

#2042 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 22:17

I don't accept that. This forum and others like it, played a major part in the demise of James Allen and Jonathan Legard.

#2043 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 22:24

I don't accept that. This forum and others like it, played a major part in the demise of James Allen and Jonathan Legard.

Yet somehow Crofty is still there.

#2044 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 22:34

Yet somehow Croft is still there.

Under Young's tenure, yes he is. I noticed yesterday in something that was posted, a hashtag #sackscottyoung. Maybe he won't be around indefinitely and any new incumbent would be, like BBC and ITV, prepared to listen to the fan base. I'd rather have Legard than Croft and James Allen, I thought, was a good commentator.

Edited by milestone 11, 30 April 2019 - 22:34.

#2045 Cornholio

Cornholio

• 511 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 16:05

I cannot square the Croft of whom I read and have heard clips with the insightful, intelligent man who used to commentate on Free Practice for the BBC.  Was he holding-back his hyperbolic tendancies then, or is he over-playing them now, I wonder?  Am I the only one here who recalls that Free Practice coverage?

Maybe feels the need to play up and be that way as lead commentator, to the point it's probably become a habit.

Rewatching some old races from the start of the 00s I noticed a similar thing with James Allen. When he was drafted in short notice for the French GP Murray missed, while he was no Murray (who is?) he actually did completely fine. The 2001 races he did during Murray's retirement season weren't too bad either, basically he sounded like the same knowledgeable and enthusiastic pitlane reporter, just doing commentary instead. But once he got the gig full time, the more cringey exclamations soon started creeping in, as if he felt a full time lead commentator had to act in a certain way or something?

#2046 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,341 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 17:33

Legard and Croft should be locked in a room together on a remote island. I also never had a problem with James Allen.

#2047 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,087 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 17:51

It seems to me that with some of the presenters & commentators after a few years they get far too comfortable in their jobs! They need reminding that F1 is not all about them! Also in interviews the pundits can become quite rude to drivers & team personnel.

#2048 pdac

pdac

• 8,252 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 18:01

Under Young's tenure, yes he is. I noticed yesterday in something that was posted, a hashtag #sackscottyoung. Maybe he won't be around indefinitely and any new incumbent would be, like BBC and ITV, prepared to listen to the fan base. I'd rather have Legard than Croft and James Allen, I thought, was a good commentator.

I had the impression there had been calls for his sacking for some time (I'm not on Twitter or Facebook or anything similar, so I don't know). But what it comes down to is that, as long as whoever is in charge is happy with the job he is doing, then it matters not what anyone outside thinks. The only thing that would change that would be if less money was coming in and it could be directly attributed to him (in which case whoever is in charge may change their mind about how happy they are about him).

#2049 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 701 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 18:44

I wonder if Ted got given a lead comms role how he would be. He has a giddy side that I think would drag him into Croft/Allen territory

#2050 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,340 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:16

I had the impression there had been calls for his sacking for some time (I'm not on Twitter or Facebook or anything similar, so I don't know). But what it comes down to is that, as long as whoever is in charge is happy with the job he is doing, then it matters not what anyone outside thinks. The only thing that would change that would be if less money was coming in and it could be directly attributed to him (in which case whoever is in charge may change their mind about how happy they are about him).

They're going to lose money if the viewing figures are to believed. I don't have facebook but my learning of the sackscottyoung hashtag was via a post up-thread somewhere. My curiosity got the better of me to find a litany of verbal attacks. He clearly isn't well liked.