Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2079 replies to this topic

#2051 MargaretM37

MargaretM37

• 81 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:16

I've never paid for Sky but I have seen some of their F1 coverage. I've never been convinced that being a sports star makes you a good commentator / presenter and there are several on Sky that prove that. I would say that what I saw of their coverage would make me less likely to subscribe rather than more likely. It was pretty cringeworthy and embarrassing. 

Advertisement

#2052 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 135 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 21:05

Surely Sky are catering to the same viewer that doesn't miss a single football match. Old school fans should just organize their own audio feed. And wouldn't that be nice actually, some underpaid racing geeks commentating from a studio? 

#2053 pdac

pdac

• 7,411 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 21:20

They're going to lose money if the viewing figures are to believed. I don't have facebook but my learning of the sackscottyoung hashtag was via a post up-thread somewhere. My curiosity got the better of me to find a litany of verbal attacks. He clearly isn't well liked.

The viewing figures for F1 have gone down, but that's because you now have to go to Sky to get live coverage. Of course, executives seem to always be very secure in their positions until they are not. Right now, though, his position looks secure.

From my personal perspective, though, I would love to see Sky F1 being steered into the abyss. I'd like to see it bring down the entire Sky operation. I'd like to see them give up on the live coverage and desperately try to get out of their contract and it all ending back at the BBC. Somehow, though, I doubt it will happen. All I can see is Sky's hold on F1 getting bigger and bigger and Sky's coverage of F1 getting worse and worse.

#2054 pdac

pdac

• 7,411 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 21:23

Surely Sky are catering to the same viewer that doesn't miss a single football match. Old school fans should just organize their own audio feed. And wouldn't that be nice actually, some underpaid racing geeks commentating from a studio? 

Count me out - I'm not paying a single penny. F1 (FOM) screwed us all over by selling to Sky, I'm not going to let them get away with it (which is what will happen if people start to pay out of their own pocket while FOM are raking it in from Sky)

#2055 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,331 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 21:40

The viewing figures for F1 have gone down, but that's because you now have to go to Sky to get live coverage. Of course, executives seem to always be very secure in their positions until they are not. Right now, though, his position looks secure.

From my personal perspective, though, I would love to see Sky F1 being steered into the abyss. I'd like to see it bring down the entire Sky operation. I'd like to see them give up on the live coverage and desperately try to get out of their contract and it all ending back at the BBC. Somehow, though, I doubt it will happen. All I can see is Sky's hold on F1 getting bigger and bigger and Sky's coverage of F1 getting worse and worse.

I don't see them being prepared to pay what they have done in the past for 1m viewers. It just doesn't stack up. Things may change now that Murdoch is no longer involved, well at least, I hope so. It's not only the F1 that's abysmal, their news channel is even worse. Overall, only watchable in the evenings. Liberty are far too greedy to give the BBC a financially viable deal. It will probably end up at BT Regardless of where it ends up, if not at Sky, I won't have access to it anyway.

Edited by milestone 11, 01 May 2019 - 21:41.

#2056 pdac

pdac

• 7,411 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 21:48

I don't see them being prepared to pay what they have done in the past for 1m viewers. It just doesn't stack up. Things may change now that Murdoch is no longer involved, well at least, I hope so. It's not only the F1 that's abysmal, their news channel is even worse. Overall, only watchable in the evenings. Liberty are far too greedy to give the BBC a financially viable deal. It will probably end up at BT Regardless of where it ends up, if not at Sky, I won't have access to it anyway.

That's the thing. The amount that they are paying for it does not entirely have to be returned through subscriptions and Now TV passes. Part of the reason they have paid so much is to ensure that the likes of BT and Virgin don't get it. It's about the whole (sports) package, not about the individual sport.

#2057 azza200

azza200

• 61 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 00:00

That's the thing. The amount that they are paying for it does not entirely have to be returned through subscriptions and Now TV passes. Part of the reason they have paid so much is to ensure that the likes of BT and Virgin don't get it. It's about the whole (sports) package, not about the individual sport.

Sky rarely give up a sport unless they are told or someone out buy's them for the coverage. The way i see it now that Sky have F1 exclusively it's going to be a long time before it ends up back on free tv permanently.  The damage is already being done with with it being behind the Paywall in the UK. Even when the contract ends in 2024, i can't see Sky letting another broadcaster take it off them, as others have said they will just give more money to FOM to keep the right's & exclusivity of having F1. 

#2058 loki

loki

• 5,450 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:46

I'd like to see it bring down the entire Sky operation.

Sarah Conner wanted to bring down Skynet too....

#2059 tomjol

tomjol

• 753 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:55

Sarah Conner wanted to bring down Skynet too....

#nofate

Advertisement

#2060 loki

loki

• 5,450 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:10

There's a pic from the paddock in Spain where on the SkyPad someone has written "Believe in Better Expect Less".  

#2061 NikL

NikL

• 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 23:12

Although I am totally against F1 being behind a paywall I just bought a Now TV stick with 1 months Sky Sports pass for £30. So far I'm impressed with the coverage and as you get every F1 session and also IndyCar, F2 etc it's not a bad deal.

If anyone is going to get Now TV just be aware the pass auto renews at £33 per month so you need to cancel it to stop that happening. I will be buying monthly passes that cost £25, but I have access to Perkbox via my employer and can get 7.5% off Currys PC World vouchers so can get the passes for £23 which means less money going to Sky😊

#2062 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,803 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 23:17

There's a pic from the paddock in Spain where on the SkyPad someone has written "Believe in Better Expect Less".  

:lol:  They are up against a loosing battle really. Reminds of F1 digital + launching in the UK with one of the worst possible seasons. 

#2063 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:29

:lol: They are up against a loosing battle really. Reminds of F1 digital + launching in the UK with one of the worst possible seasons.

F1 digital also launched when there was a FTA offering, I doubt it would have been anymore successful if the season had been a good one.

#2064 FatHarryWhite

FatHarryWhite

• 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:51

I don't usually watch the build up, so I have to ask, does Roseanne normally do the driver-on-the-truck interviews? And does she normally ask such hilariously bad questions?

Edited by FatHarryWhite, 12 May 2019 - 12:07.

#2065 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,993 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:53

This is the first race I'm ditching Sky's pre-race show in favour of having the official live Formula 1 YouTube feed playing in the background while I go about my business.

#2066 FatHarryWhite

FatHarryWhite

• 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:59

I wasn't aware of that! Got them side by side now, ta!

#2067 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,993 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:04

Shame Rosanne Tennant is useless, but she'll be off screen soon enough.

#2068 FatHarryWhite

FatHarryWhite

• 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:06

Haha youtube stream now showing said interviews!

#2069 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 604 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 15:33

Moving house in a few months time, had Sky turned off this week in anticipation.

Been out with the kids, thought I’d watch the CH4 show later, but couldn’t stop myself checking on the BBC sport website while we were out. Know the result, so won’t bother now. May check for the stroll crash when f1 put their highlights online.

I’m not wanting to big myself up, but I’ve always watched the races live. If I was working I’d record them and watch them as soon as I got in... I’m not even bothered that I missed today’s race, and I never thought this day would come.

The Sky exclusivity is a huge part of that, but so is the stupid start times that we now have. Rather than showing it later, why not start the race at 11am or go the other way and have evening races that start at 5/6pm.

Meh.

#2070 stringyb92

stringyb92

• 324 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 15:44

Another great race by Crofty. He really doesnt concentrate on the race, and his analogies are cringeworthy 

#2071 Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder

• 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 17:21

Brundle today explained the difficulty of parking an F1 car relating it to the problems the common man faces when driving their E-type Jag.

#2072 F1matt

F1matt

• 974 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:11

There is definitely something wrong with Sky's coverage when you compare it to how they present football matches, there is no chemistry between the commentators and it lacks leadership from a decent anchorman or woman. Add this with the unbelievably bad coverage from the people who produce the actual pictures and it really isn't worth the money.  Luckily today the racing was so bad I was spoilt for choice by having the ability to flick through the channels to watch Man City or Liverpool which provided much more entertainment, even the Netball was better. 

#2073 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 566 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:23

I watched the Sky coverage via Nigerian means today, and I gotta say, I'm seriously glad I'm not paying a penny for the product or Sky's presentation of it.

#2074 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,103 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:27

Brundle today explained the difficulty of parking an F1 car relating it to the problems the common man faces when driving their E-type Jag.

Brundle should be called out about his ridiculous opinion on the SC helping Hamilton, you would never hear something like that about Verstappen on the Dutch tv.

#2075 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,064 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:30

There is definitely something wrong with Sky's coverage when you compare it to how they present football matches, there is no chemistry between the commentators and it lacks leadership from a decent anchorman or woman. Add this with the unbelievably bad coverage from the people who produce the actual pictures and it really isn't worth the money.  Luckily today the racing was so bad I was spoilt for choice by having the ability to flick through the channels to watch Man City or Liverpool which provided much more entertainment, even the Netball was better. 

Us Scots would tell you a different story when watching their presentation of football up here. Absolutely dreadful in every aspect. 

#2076 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,681 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:39

I once again stumped up £8.99 for a Now TV pass enabling me to watch the Sky F1 coverage today. That's one and a half pints in London these days...

I agree with F1Matt that Sky hasn't got a proper anchorman.

Simon Lazenby is still pretty garbage, and doesn't have the flair of Jake Humphrey or Steve Jones (though I acknowledge these guys aren't to everyone's tastes).

Jenson Button was OK, but I can't help but think he's be so much better on Channel 4 where his character and cheekiness would be allowed to flourish a lot more.

I do find all the massive conflicts of interest quite hilarious (and that goes for Channel 4 too), with Mercedes employee Paul di Resta interviewing Toto Wolff, Honda employee Jenson Button discussing Honda engines etc... 

#2077 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 17,675 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 20:34

There is definitely something wrong with Sky's coverage when you compare it to how they present football matches, there is no chemistry between the commentators and it lacks leadership from a decent anchorman or woman. Add this with the unbelievably bad coverage from the people who produce the actual pictures and it really isn't worth the money. Luckily today the racing was so bad I was spoilt for choice by having the ability to flick through the channels to watch Man City or Liverpool which provided much more entertainment, even the Netball was better.

I think F1 in general is a hard sport to televise for pre and post race. 1 hour is almost too much. And nowadays most fans who watch buildup (hardcore fans) know everything anyway.

#2078 chrcol

chrcol

• 1,810 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 21:09

Nothing of interest in the coverage, missed ted who is the best thing about sky coverage.

fom coverage still feels amateur.

Edited by Afterburner, 12 May 2019 - 23:21.
Keep it classy.

#2079 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 616 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:32

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I actually enjoyed a lot of the sky pre-race. I don't usually watch it as it has generally been tiny snippets of fluff bookended by ad breaks & previews of what's coming up.
However there were some decent interviews in there and it flowed pretty nicely.

It's still miles away from Channel 4 quality though and Ted is still a huge miss on his weekends off.

Advertisement

#2080 F1matt

F1matt

• 974 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:02

I think they could get away with having 30 minutes of studio analysis in a UK studio before and after the race, standing in the pit lane or paddock offers nothing apart from people stood behind them on their mobile phone and not talking (why do people do that?) I have been watching the Indycar coverage on Sky and having Paul Tracey, Townsend Bell, and the presenter in a studio which doesn't take anything away from the presentation. They could let the pit lane reporter talk to the winning team boss (which unless it is Christian Horner are as dull as fcuk) and the winning driver spouts the same corporate crap every time...."it was so hard out there today, my team are amazing blah blah." 

Maybe if they did that they could have less people in front of the camera and use the money to employ a more professional anchor man/woman, two commentators (who actually have some chemistry) ONE ex driver to do the analysis, we don't need Ant Davison, Paul Di Resta, Karun Chandok, and Nico Rosberg (or Jenson Button) we only need one of them in the studio and one at the track. I haven't even mentioned Natalie Pinkham or Ted Kravitz or the Scottish guy who is always there but only makes an appearance when he has a paddock rumour to share!