Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2225 replies to this topic

#2151 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 580 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 13:12

You've got to wonder though; the dude is 60 this year, and he had his health scare a few years back.

I know Sky is paying him handsomely (I think I once read it's £2 million a year, but might be wrong), but at some point you've got to wonder when he'll hang up his microphone. I know Murray went on well into his 70's, but he was a special case, plus the calendar wasn't quite as packed as it is now.

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't want to deal with Crofty's dulcet tones on Sunday, F1 is *live* on Channel 4 this weekend.

Advertisement

#2152 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,218 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 13:24

Bring back Murray Walker......

And even he got a huge amount of pelters back in the day, not for his Murrayisms but for misidentifications or misreadings.  But of course what he brought in spades was passion.  In terms of commentary, if you want technical perfection more than a full-on enthusiasm and energy assault, then you probably prefer Mariah Carey to the Sex Pistols and frankly there is no hope for you.

On the minority sports point...it is sobering to see motor sport restricted in Waterstones to a couple of half-shelves and the books on them for the most part utterly worthless.  Whereas cycling now takes up the full display case floor-to-ceiling full-width cornucopia that used to be F1 alone...

#2153 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 13:26

Love to hear Murray back. Maybe persuade him to commentate on the British GP as a one off per year until the inevitable happens.

He would be awful.

#2154 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 13:51

Ben Edwards

By a country mile.  He's totally professional when he's commentating.  I've never heard him mention his wife, kids or any other nonsense that litters Croft's spouting.

#2155 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 3,877 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 13:52

By a country mile. He's totally professional when he's commentating. I've never heard him mention his wife, kids or any other nonsense that litters Croft's spouting.

Heaven forfend someone not be a complete robot.

#2156 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,471 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:45

A lot of comments on how awful the commentary is but not a lot of suggestions of who would be BETTER?

Paul Tracy, Jenson Button and Marc Priestley, with Ben Edwards to keep order. Tell them they can say what they like while nothing is happening on screen. I'd pay for that.

#2157 azza200

azza200

• 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 15:19

Lol the worst combo in the commentary box would be  Jack Nicholls & Jonathon Legard that would make me want to throw my TV out the window   :mad: 

tenor.gif?itemid=3809968

Edited by azza200, 10 July 2019 - 15:22.

#2158 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 737 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 15:37

Jolyon Palmer is surprisingly good when he's the lead commentator, which I guess he'll be this weekend as Jack Nicholls will be off at the Formula E race. 

Nicholls tend to be a bit too jokey, though he and Palmer do have a slight comedic rapport. Unlike "Crofty" who tries constantly to be funny, but constantly fails. 

#2159 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 4,006 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 15:53

Palmer tends to have the best put downs when Nicholls gets a bit up himself.

Advertisement

#2160 tomjol

tomjol

• 857 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 17:14

Heaven forfend someone not be a complete robot.

There's not being a robot and there's being a buffoon...

#2161 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 664 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 16:37

Jolyon is more interesting to listen to than his dad, he's not as bouncy as Brundle was in his early years as a commentator but he's really good, a bit of a revelation. I think he could be one to watch for a switch to TV sometime in the future

#2162 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,337 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:15

Having not been able to watch EJ on live TV for what seems like forever, I had forgotten just how much of a bumbling fool he comes across as during a live show. Fair play to Eddie though, he is doing his best to reclaim his crown as on screen buffoon. I know those words might seem harsh but he just doesn't put together a cohesive thought and muddles through, as if not being aware of what he is even saying. How that man ran as successful a Grand Prix team as he did is a mystery.

Edited by alframsey, 12 July 2019 - 10:15.

#2163 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 878 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:46

My suggestion to bring back Murray was, of course, in jest....I know he's still with us and I believe he still occasionally does pieces for TV and podcasts....but I doubt he currently has the fitness and energy levels to be what he was. He retired still at the top, made a one-off comeback I recall in 2007 where he was still at the top of his game on a radio commentary, but he is slowing down now. 

What I've found works best is a Murray-type commentator...someone who genuinely believes their sport is the most exciting thing in the world and who conveys that enthusiasm and love of the sport in their commentaries.....alongside someone calmer with lots of facts to hand. I am reminded of the early 90s when Eurosport were able to do Europe-wide broadcasts of qualifying and races live. The British commentary team was John Watson and Allard Kalff. The latter was a journalist, sometime racer and motor sport historian. He brought a briefcase of facts with him. The former, of course, was an ex-driver who'd raced with many of the greats. Between them they forged a great partnership as both were prone to becoming excited at what was on the track/screen but they'd calm each other down. 

Ben Edwards is also excellent. 

#2164 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:15

Having not been able to watch EJ on live TV for what seems like forever, I had forgotten just how much of a bumbling fool he comes across as during a live show. Fair play to Eddie though, he is doing his best to reclaim his crown as on screen buffoon. I know those words might seem harsh but he just doesn't put together a cohesive thought and muddles through, as if not being aware of what he is even saying. How that man ran as successful a Grand Prix team as he did is a mystery.

The Welsh bloke was attempting to talk with the EJiot this morning and he was switching subjects mid conversation, Taffy was really struggling to get any sense from him.  I think he's got Old Timers Disease.

#2165 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:33

The Welsh bloke was attempting to talk with the EJiot this morning and he was switching subjects mid conversation, Taffy was really struggling to get any sense from him.  I think he's got Old Timers Disease.

:rotfl:

#2166 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 5,299 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 15:08

Button is way ahead of everyone in the comm box. Very sharp in his analysis of what's going on. It does help that he knows these cars, of course, but still!

#2167 hansmann

hansmann

• 468 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:39

Well, Brundle has become my Murray Walker, the voice of F1 .

That's just me, but I love his style .

As for Crofty ; I still remember Legard , and Crofty is not him .

But he should be forced to not mention any statistics . Ever . I can live with the shouting and the lack of knowledge, but the endless statistics are killing me .

Especially hearing 2 seconds before the start how the pole sitter has never won that race 2 days before a full moon since 1732 .

I know it's BS , but it's a spoiler still .

Apart from the commentary, the TV graphics ...

It's not Sky's fault, I know .

But what genius decided to keep using the dreadful 'Race for xx Place' inserts ?

Was it the same mastermind that introduced showing gaps between race leader and everyone else, instead of driver to driver, and randomly switching between the two ?

#2168 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 19:22

I felt a little uncomfortable watching the interview segments between Jonathan and Sir Frank, particularly so, the Jaques Villeneuve and the crashing of the father in law's boat parts. There was quite clearly painful animosity between father and son.

Edited by milestone 11, 13 July 2019 - 19:23.

#2169 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 737 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:00

Never bother with the Sky build up, but as C4 are live this weekend I thought I'd give them a go. So far it's been dire. I never understand the desire to talk to "celebrities" prior to a race, you don't get that before a football match, or boxing, or whatever. 

#2170 Frood

Frood

• 3,568 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:04

Never bother with the Sky build up, but as C4 are live this weekend I thought I'd give them a go. So far it's been dire. I never understand the desire to talk to "celebrities" prior to a race, you don't get that before a football match, or boxing, or whatever.

Both Sky and Channel 4 do it. It’s been that way for years, back to the ITV days. Many of the celebs use it as exposure, obviously, but there are occasionally some knowledgable ones. Still doesn’t make it any less painful in the long run.

#2171 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 15:46

The Welsh bloke was attempting to talk with the EJiot this morning and he was switching subjects mid conversation, Taffy was really struggling to get any sense from him. I think he's got Old Timers Disease.

TAFFY??? Did I just step back into 1980?

#2172 Peat

Peat

• 4,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:44

BBC moan:

I was traveling yesterday so had to make do with the radio.

I had the radio on in the car, and a few mins before the race the cricket commentators said the GP would be on a special 'pop-up' radio channel (CWC & Wimbledon etc) so i had to pull over to sort that out.

The race was called by the guy who does the F2 comms as the usual chap was busy with FormulaE. He was utterly useless as a radio commentator. He didn't go as far as saying "and look at that!" but his failure to inform the listener of what was going on was remarkable. Jo Palmer didn't step-up to fill the breach either, so I was totally lost.

Then a patch of no-signal meant a few mins of silence - just, as it happens, the SC came out - When the sound returned, the order had changed but there was no mention as to why. I had been listening for a good 10mins again before they mention that Norris had lost out due to the SC. For radio, it's pretty basic to give regular-ish run downs of the top 10 as radio listeners don't have the luxury of overlaid graphics. I don't think I heard 1 run down! I was so lost with and pissed off to learn that Hamilton was somehow way ahead of Bottas that I just switched it off and waited for the YT highlights.

#2173 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,288 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:03

tbh that really annoys the hell out of me as like 99% of these people are utterly clueless, have no interest in F1 and are only there because it's a "freebie" and "to be seen". 

Seriously eff off.

#2174 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,249 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:50

Anyone notice Brundle starting laughing when Charles banged wheels with Max? Crofty was doing his high voice, no breathing drama routine, but it's pretty clear before he mutes / steps back from his mic.

#2175 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:51

Credit where credit's due - Brundle and Croft immediately noted the significance of the SC and the fact Lewis would be able to pit and lose far less time.

CH4 meanwhile were saying you can go flat out until you catch the SC = completely clueless.

#2176 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 109 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 13:50

Also credit to Croft for spotting that Hamilton's car was on a fastest lap attempt on the last lap based on its body language. I noticed that when I watched it last night.

#2177 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,172 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 14:07

tbh that really annoys the hell out of me as like 99% of these people are utterly clueless, have no interest in F1 and are only there because it's a "freebie" and "to be seen". 

Seriously eff off.

Would love it if a ballot of 'normal fans' was done before the races and those coming out of it were given some time on the grid like these people get.

#2178 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 14:32

Also credit to Croft for spotting that Hamilton's car was on a fastest lap attempt on the last lap based on its body language. I noticed that when I watched it last night.

Yes, the first plus that I've ever to be able to give the man. Maybe he had some kind of insider knowledge.

#2179 Burai

Burai

• 1,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 15:04

BBC moan:

I was traveling yesterday so had to make do with the radio.

I had the radio on in the car, and a few mins before the race the cricket commentators said the GP would be on a special 'pop-up' radio channel (CWC & Wimbledon etc) so i had to pull over to sort that out.

The race was called by the guy who does the F2 comms as the usual chap was busy with FormulaE. He was utterly useless as a radio commentator. He didn't go as far as saying "and look at that!" but his failure to inform the listener of what was going on was remarkable. Jo Palmer didn't step-up to fill the breach either, so I was totally lost.

Then a patch of no-signal meant a few mins of silence - just, as it happens, the SC came out - When the sound returned, the order had changed but there was no mention as to why. I had been listening for a good 10mins again before they mention that Norris had lost out due to the SC. For radio, it's pretty basic to give regular-ish run downs of the top 10 as radio listeners don't have the luxury of overlaid graphics. I don't think I heard 1 run down! I was so lost with and pissed off to learn that Hamilton was somehow way ahead of Bottas that I just switched it off and waited for the YT highlights.

It's a shame they couldn't get Jonathan Legard back on 5 Live F1 when Croft left. Legard was perfect for the radio (which is why he was so highly regarded and got the TV gig in the first place). All the things that made him so irritating on TV were essential to the storytelling you need for a purely audio format.

Advertisement

#2180 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,202 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 15:21

That F2 commentator guy is atrocious on TV already. Aside from his inability to describe and explain what's going on properly, his propensity of extending and raising and shouting all at the same time at/towards the end of every sentence is total abomination, well that's what you have to do when you are not able to commentate tho.

(btw more and more people in English language sphere are adopting uptalk rapidly in recent years, it's highly irritating)

#2181 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 15:39

(btw more and more people in English language sphere are adopting uptalk rapidly in recent years, it's highly irritating)

It's an abomination which for some unknown reason women have a greater propensity for.

#2182 Garndell

Garndell

• 864 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 15:56

Did anyone else find the "slot car" reference a bit grating?

#2183 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 16:25

Can somebody elaborate on "uptalk"?

#2184 Garndell

Garndell

• 864 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 16:28

#2185 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 17:12

Yes, the first plus that I've ever to be able to give the man. Maybe he had some kind of insider knowledge.

He just noticed the green S1 I think!

#2186 pRy

pRy

• 16,070 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 17:13

Anyone notice Brundle starting laughing when Charles banged wheels with Max? Crofty was doing his high voice, no breathing drama routine, but it's pretty clear before he mutes / steps back from his mic.

DC made an amusing comment about having to pull Ben Edwards off the ceiling after he almost lost his voice commentating on one move. 

#2187 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 22:44

The UK government have announce there will be an update of Listed Sporting Events that have to be shown on free-to-air TV.  F1 isn't on the new list.  No surprise as we don't know if Ch4 will continue to show highlights next year.

https://www.telegrap...updated-womens/

#2188 loki

loki

• 5,877 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 22:50

#2189 potmotr

potmotr

• 11,092 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 14:52

Jesus christ, Croft is awful in this race.

#2190 potmotr

potmotr

• 11,092 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:36

God Sky is awful compared to Channel 4.

Kravitz and co are doing my head in... 

#2191 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:42

The UK government have announce there will be an update of Listed Sporting Events that have to be shown on free-to-air TV.  F1 isn't on the new list.  No surprise as we don't know if Ch4 will continue to show highlights next year.

https://www.telegrap...updated-womens/

There's no interest in F1 in the UK.

#2192 potmotr

potmotr

• 11,092 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:44

There's no interest in F1 in the UK.

I mean, I can see why the government might say that given its tricky relationship with F1 going all the way back to the days of Blair. 

But there's definitely interest, which the ratings for Channel 4's highlights show.

I do think F1 will quickly become a backwater though, it's as depressing as Sky's coverage. 

#2193 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,825 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 13:10

I mean, I can see why the government might say that given its tricky relationship with F1 going all the way back to the days of Blair. 

But there's definitely interest, which the ratings for Channel 4's highlights show.

I do think F1 will quickly become a backwater though, it's as depressing as Sky's coverage. 

It's nothing to do with tricky relationships. It's simply not seen as special or unique enough.

Edited by Clatter, 08 September 2019 - 13:10.

#2194 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 737 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:02

https://www.channel4...-air-television

Channel 4 signs a new deal to show highlights, and the British GP live.

#2195 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,448 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:12

Thank goodness!

#2196 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 13:07

Am I the only one cringing when Button speaks as Sky interviewer/commentator? I'd totally believe it if he were there just to appeal to female viewers. It's been said of so many women in so many situations the other way around, and most were more natural in their presentation.

#2197 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 775 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 13:14

Fantastic news. More of this unfakable passion then!

https://streamable.com/5evoy

Edited by BillyWhizz, 17 September 2019 - 13:17.

#2198 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:56

Now TV have put their prices up again. No idea how they can justify it for such a poor product where choice of sport is declining as well.

#2199 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,301 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:14

Talking of TV, do any other Australian viewers hit the mute button the instant that dopey Nico Rosberg drink/driving ad comes on? Drives me nuts, it does.  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

Advertisement

#2200 pdac

pdac

• 8,262 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 13:52

Now TV have put their prices up again. No idea how they can justify it for such a poor product where choice of sport is declining as well.

I guess it's justified by the fact that people will pay and are paying that price (happy or not).