Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2097 replies to this topic

#251 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:25

Eugh.

What a week to kick off the 2016 season, eh? Qualifying debacle and now this? WHY, OH WHY, do they do this to us?

because they don't care about us and what we think, They care about the money, and they don't get the money from us ergo.....

Advertisement

#252 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:25

If I were a sponsor, I would also consider whether I might want to negotiate a fee reduction for 2019 onwards.  The UK market isn't massive, but it's got a lot of spare income, and significant influence.  More money shifting from the teams to the promoter for him to hand out to the teams.  Not a healthy relationship.

#253 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:26

There is an answer.

Dont pay, never pay.  Unity!!

#254 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:28

I haven't read this whole threat, but I am shocked. I thought the pay TV thing might die a death, but no. 

I'm a Sky subscriber, and I bet I'll still be a sucker and subscribe in 2019 - but it costs £75 a month, including the sports package, which is £900 a year. Most fans only go to an F1 race once every 2-3 years as they cannot afford the £900 or so it takes to go to one, but now they have to pay that amount to watch it at home. Its ludicrous. 

There will be no casual fans anymore, certainly no new fans - it would be fine if the sport was actually decent to watch for the neutral, but it really isn't. 

This smacks of Bernie topping up his daughter's inheritance or CVC getting the big bucks in before they sell. Because I doubt either of them will be around when the sh*t hits the fan around 2020/21. 

#255 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,926 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:34

Perhaps sky subscribers should send a message to them, threatening to quit.

#256 TheMightySwoosh

TheMightySwoosh

• 62 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:35

Forgive me, and I don't want to encourage any illegal activities... but it takes me 10 seconds to find 'an alternative way' to watch F1 on Sky when for some dark reason I can't view BBC or, now, Channel 4. How on earth are Sky going to force anyone paying for their services? The only way their calculations are going to work is if F1 fans find it worth the money for the subscription.

Wink. Wink. And so forth...

Exactly, there's a lot of hyperbole flying around in this thread about people being done with F1 then but we all know we'll still be here (okay most of us), all you have to do is google any sporting event and you find a stream. This is not the end people, those that can easily afford it will probably do so, those that can't will free-ride the hell out of it. I do think it's a shame for the casual fan though, I know that I follow MotoGP less now than when it was on BBC even though I have access to BT Sport and I think the same will happen with some people with F1.

#257 Joshrobins13

Joshrobins13

• 340 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:38

TV boycott one of Sky's GPs this year?

Edited by Joshrobins13, 23 March 2016 - 23:39.

#258 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:40

More money up front, less people watching, the people who benifit out of this are the people who sold the rights, and maybe sky get a few more bucks and slightly bigger share of the already "saturated by sky" market.

**** the lot of them I say, Viewing figures had already dramatically dropped when BBC lost exclusive live coverage. Oh well, money talks, no one gives a flying **** for anything other than cold hard cash.

Maybe the teams and drivers and form a break away series and **** everyone over.

As you can tell I'm cross. :mad:

#259 Sheldon835

Sheldon835

• 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:42

I wonder if a company like Mercedes would still see F1 as viable given rapidly declining figures and limiting the viewership to an elite.

Assuming they would have had nearly their 10 years of direct exposure the board might think ''f*** this mess'' and pull the plug.

They are after all only in it to sell road cars and if suddenly a dramatically reduced viewership limits their potential customer base I'm sure they could better spend the money on direct advertising.

Advertisement

#260 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,957 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:49

Maybe the teams and drivers and form a break away series and **** everyone over.

I'd say that was wishful thinking on our part, but a breakaway F1 of some kind has been discussed by teams etc more than once in the past. The sport is funded by sponsors and advertisers, and all they're really interested in is exposure, which would be largely cut off if this scheme goes ahead. They certainly aren't going to like this plan for the sport's future, so perhaps our best hope is that as Sheldon says, people like Mercedes, maybe even Rolex, start applying real pressure behind the scenes.

#261 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:53

Exactly, there's a lot of hyperbole flying around in this thread about people being done with F1 then but we all know we'll still be here (okay most of us), all you have to do is google any sporting event and you find a stream. This is not the end people, those that can easily afford it will probably do so, those that can't will free-ride the hell out of it. I do think it's a shame for the casual fan though, I know that I follow MotoGP less now than when it was on BBC even though I have access to BT Sport and I think the same will happen with some people with F1.

We all know we can watch a stream for free, but that's really not the point.

Limiting casual fans access to the sport is only going to have bad side effects for everyone.

#262 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,189 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 23:58

Wow, all these people here saying that without FTA F1 in UK, F1 will die. So many countries already are experiencing it and despite what British people seem to think, they are not the biggest market for F1. Losing 50% of British F1 audience won't be an issue at all I suppose. A non-story, really.

#263 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,926 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:03

Actually, I've thought more after my initial reaction. There's plenty of time for this thing to be called out. I am now not going to panic just yet. I can still make a banner for the GP though....

#264 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:12

I do agree, the loss of live free to air is a huge blow. 

But I wonder how much the model of usual TV will change. There are a good number of Netflix or Amazon exclusive dramas out there that you can watch when ever you want and you will most likely come to know about through advertising. It's not implausible for this to happen to sports too, with providers allowing you to access streams, which I already do with IndyCar through BT Sport. If this is the case then F1 might be able to survive with good promotion and advertising, but not if it's tied to expensive 'sport packages' or if F1 still seems to think it can get away with relying broadly on it's reputation for new fans (and banning almost any footage that makes it's way onto YouTube). 

In the mean time, loss of live free to air is no good at all in my view. 

Look who would agree with that?!

http://www.mirror.co...lling-f1-179665

#265 Marklar

Marklar

• 30,497 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:17

Wow, all these people here saying that without FTA F1 in UK, F1 will die. So many countries already are experiencing it and despite what British people seem to think, they are not the biggest market for F1. Losing 50% of British F1 audience won't be an issue at all I suppose. A non-story, really.

LOL. Just LOL.

I'm not British. I live in Germany and F1 is here FTA, but calling the fact that a sport where the competitors are significantly depending on sponsoring will disappear behind a paywall in the country with the biggest fanbase and tradition, a non-story, is a denial.

It is not only about losing fans, which will happen as other countries who made this step proved. You are losing the future. You will not only lose many fans, but you wont generate new fans (and so the sport will decline until it is completely irrelevant) and also no future stars. Someone like Lewis Hamilton would have never started to follow F1 and started driving kart if it wasn't FTA. Many hight talented engineers (and almost all teams are based in the UK) wouldn't either. I know from many people in France how irrelevant F1 has become since it moved completely to Pay TV and that's a concern. And no, F1 can't afford to lose 50 % of the British fans, they can't afford to lose any fan.

Nobody who is complaining here is complaining because he can't watch it then. Of course not. Many have sky here, many will subscribe and many will use live streams. Everyone is concered about the sports future.

Btw, this article here about what happened to cricket after it moved away from FTA should be warning enough

Edited by Marklar, 24 March 2016 - 00:27.

#266 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:24

Not going to happen.

They would have no circuits to race on, since no circuit owner would want to piss off the FIA.

You would have no stewards or marshals, since they are volunteers organised by the local racing body, under the FIA.

You would not have Ferrari, since they get truckloads of free money under the current agreement because they are Ferrari.

Edited by alfa1, 24 March 2016 - 04:52.

#267 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,376 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:26

For anyone doubting the impact that Pay TV has on viewing figures, I recommend a read of this blog:

http://f1broadcasting.co/

One thing of note from there is Sky's average race day audiences since they began in 2012.

> 2012 > 0.71 million
> 2013 > 0.64 million
> 2014 > 0.79 million
> 2015 > 0.64 million

If they're already that poor, what are those figures going to be like in 2019 and beyond? Very worrying times for the sport in this country.

I'll be interested to hear if any of the British based teams have anything to say. Or is the money from this deal sufficient enough that they'll keep quiet?

#268 danmills

danmills

• 1,070 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:30

Like a flowering plant needs water and sunlight to survive; F1 needs both funding and an audience.

You can remove one, and it will limp on for a short while.

Remove both, and it dies.

F1 is no different.

Edited by danmills, 24 March 2016 - 01:01.

#269 TheMightySwoosh

TheMightySwoosh

• 62 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:32

We all know we can watch a stream for free, but that's really not the point.

Limiting casual fans access to the sport is only going to have bad side effects for everyone.

That part of my post was purely responding to the people in this thread who said they were done with F1, I think I addressed the casual fan issue seperately...

#270 Enzo308

Enzo308

• 133 posts

Don't worry...This sucks; no doubt, but the online offerings will be radically different by then. Apps like Periscope are unstoppable....It will absolutely kill Bernie once he realizes people are broadcasting trackside; or from their tv....(literally no way to shut this down) I wouldn't worry too much; 2019 is along way a way; the digital revolution and more importantly..the sharing economy, will prevail....

#271 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

LOL. Just LOL.

If you do not have ~ €60/month to watch movie, sports, entertainment, culture channels. F1 should be the smallest problem in your life.

#272 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 18,361 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:34

TV boycott one of Sky's GPs this year?

Is Baku SKY exclusive? That'd be best. Impossible to coordinate though.

#273 Marklar

Marklar

• 30,497 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:38

If you do not have ~ €60/month to watch movie, sports, entertainment, culture channels. F1 should be the smallest problem in your life.

You are missing the point here. It is not about being able to afford it. It is about being aware of it. About being attracted in the first place.

Edited by Marklar, 24 March 2016 - 00:39.

#274 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:40

Sky will pay 50m per year apparentely

http://www.telegraph...attack-obsolet/

C4 is only paying £25m per year, picking up the BBC contract with FOM which was presumably the same or slightly more, so that's a big step up.

I'm really surprised Sky wanted to keep the rights, I didn't think F1 was going well for them. I dread to think how they are going to recoup the £50m per year - will we now get ads during quali and the races as well?

#275 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,208 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:45

I think the British GP will need to be boycotted by the fans, I can't see any other way of sending a clear message that we will not stand for this. Unless this is overturned, I'm done with F1.

Edited by ForzaGTR, 24 March 2016 - 00:57.

#276 boomn

boomn

• 292 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:48

Or you have a budget and already budgeted that money towards other forms of streaming entertainment or life outside of TV. 

#277 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,208 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:53

C4 is only paying £25m per year, picking up the BBC contract with FOM which was presumably the same or slightly more, so that's a big step up.

I'm really surprised Sky wanted to keep the rights, I didn't think F1 was going well for them. I dread to think how they are going to recoup the £50m per year - will we now get ads during quali and the races as well?

I would say ads during the race are inevitable now, SKY only kept the races ad-free because they wanted to entice BBC viewers, now that's gone there's no reason to keep races ad-free, especially when you consider there will be no ad-free alternative. Mind you, why bother with ads when only 7 people will be watching the races... ;) 

#278 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,208 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 00:56

It's nice to know you're so well informed about household budgets in the UK as well as knowing the spending priorities of families across the country.

#279 danmills

danmills

• 1,070 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:05

Basically it's just another step for Sky to monopolise the sporting market for media coverage.

Surely there's a law preventing such a stranglehold on exclusivity?

Advertisement

#280 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:21

You are missing the point here. It is not about being able to afford it. It is about being aware of it. About being attracted in the first place.

I really don't understand your point. The vast majority of F1 fans are already watching pay TV. As dweller23 said, losing a few british fans won't be an issue at all. It has no impact on the sport

#281 loki

loki

• 5,572 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:22

Relax guys. At least boxing didn't sink into total obscurity and irrelevance after it shifted away from free-to-air...

In the US boxing is doing better than ever in terms of revenue with pay per view than at any time in the history of the sport.

#282 loki

loki

• 5,572 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:27

I'm a fan of F1 because I stumbled across it 20 years ago as a kid, flicking through terrestrial TV.

The new generation of fans won't get this opportunity. This is why F1 will ultimately fall down the toilet.

any new generation of fans aren't watching broadcast TV in the same way pervious generations were.  In most parts of the world broadcast TV will become irrelevant before F1 does.

#283 Marklar

Marklar

• 30,497 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:35

I really don't understand your point. The vast majority of F1 fans are already watching pay TV. As dweller23 said, losing a few british fans won't be an issue at all. It has no impact on the sport

That is exactly the point: the majority (or most) already existing F1 fans have already Pay TV with the F1 package. But what about future fans? I doubt that that many households in the UK have by default sky with the Sport/F1 package....With F1 being not FTA, they will never be really aware/fascinated in the first place and hence never pay for it/watch it......At some point the current F1 fans wont be there anymore either and then? Who is watching then?

Then you have also the occasional fan. He doesnt necessary has Pay TV and doesnt bother at all to pay 60€/month just to watch something he does occasionally. They are also gone then.

That are not 'a few British' fans, we are talking about a big audience here and a big impact for the future.

#284 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,376 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:37

:lol:

Bookmarking this post for in several years' time when F1 bosses are wondering why crowd numbers are down at Silverstone and the teams are complaining even more that they can't find sponsors...

It's utterly ridiculous to say it won't be an issue, or won't have any impact. Look at what has happened in countries where F1 is already exclusively behind a pay wall and it paints a grim picture. Hell, viewing figures are down in countries where F1 still remains on free to view channels! Look at sports like cricket, boxing or whatever else that have seen a decrease in popularity since moving to pay TV channels. The evidence is clear - it does the sport no good at all in the long term. Or are you just being deliberately naive about the whole situation? 

I'm not sure what I find more bonkers - that at a time when F1 is in poor health, FOM decided this was the correct way to go, or people who don't think this more will be an issue. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

#285 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,810 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:39

That is exactly the point: the majority (or most) already existing F1 fans have already Pay TV with the F1 package. But what about future fans? I doubt that that many households in the UK have by default sky with the Sport/F1 package....With F1 being not FTA, they will never be really aware/fascinated in the first place and hence never pay for it/watch it......At some point the current F1 fans wont be there anymore either and then? Who is watching then?

Then you have also the occasional fan. He doesnt necessary has Pay TV and doesnt bother at all to pay 60€/month just to watch something he does occasionally. They are also gone then.

That are not 'a few British' fans, we are talking about a big audience here and a big impact for the future.

TV as a medium is irrelevant for young people aka "future fans". Heck I 'm over thirty and I hardly ever watch "tv". The more irrelevant tv becomes the less willing advertisers will be to pay large sums of money to advertise to old age folk that still watch their soaps and their reality crap. Formula One (and every other sport) needs to find other ways to reach and attract young people, TV isn't it anymore.

#286 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,842 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:45

I didn't watch last weeks race. That's the first time in ten years that I've not watched at least highlights of the Aussie GP. I don't know when the next race is on, but there's a fair chance I won't bother to watch it. I'm very often doing things on Sunday afternoon, and I used to watch the races much later in the evening. You can't do that with illegal streams. The less races I watch, the less that I'll be interested in the sport overall. 

#287 loki

loki

• 5,572 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:52

The problem with the argument that some of you are making in that if another 6-8 million Brits can't watch live F1 on "free to air" (your TV isn't free...) that somehow the financial integrity of the sport will be compromised can't be supported.  The trouble with the premise is that these several million people are somehow driving a business model for either F1 or the broadcasters when in reality they are not paying anything directly to the sport.  Since there is no ad revenue there can't be a loss from that revenue stream.  The on car and at track signage revenue is the same regardless of how many Brits watch and not all the ads are targeted to Brits anyway.

While the base of operations is by far the largest and almost exclusively in England, that has no bearing on the market dynamics of of the broadcast deals.   You wish to be given the content for free (as free as Brit TV is, anyway) with no ads even though there isn't a good business model or reason to distribute the content in that manner.  To me that's entitlement, perhaps even arrogant (says the bloke from the capital of arrogance and entitlement...) to proclaim the Brit market more important than other markets, particularly continental markets.  My conclusion that some think the Brit market is more important is due to the comments by some that the sport will crater unless F1 is on free TV, live.  There is nothing to support that claim, though.  I can empathize with having to pay for it coming from a culture where it's been free for so long.  But that doesn't mean the economic climate with crater as the viewers, except for the license fee, didn't contribute to the revenue anyway prior to this point.

#288 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:02

I'm sorry, man, but you makes no sense at all. People paying for TV not because they want to watch F1, but because this is the only option. Maybe in the Uk, Germany, Russia and other third world countries you guys have some FTA channels but this is not true for the rest of the world.

Edited by SheIsDisaster, 24 March 2016 - 02:07.

#289 myusername

myusername

• 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:26

opposite to indonesia, in indonesia f1 free to air start this season. you must know why, hahaha

so f1 loosing UK f1 audience, but get hundred million audience from indonesia, not that bad xDDD

sorry for bad grammar

Edited by myusername, 24 March 2016 - 02:29.

#290 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,125 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:27

Makes sense.

Bernie and Rupert are both old plastic faced bastards that are well past their sell by date.

Aaron Ramsey please score, and make sure one of these is next.

Well I for one won't be handing them a penny. But I will continue to watch Formula 1. If that is on some low quality stream, then so be it.

#291 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,112 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:55

Look at the outrage here... and across the net and the twittersphere. It's becoming ever more incredible to me that F1 can continue this way for much longer. It's a laughing stock, it's disfunctional. If an individual were to behave like this for so long, men in white coats would come along and quietly put him into a van and take him away to a facility where he can't do himself any more harm.

It's very significant that the drivers have now gone public. When you say something as direct as "...the drivers have come to the conclusion that the decision-making process in the sport is obsolete and ill-structured and prevents progress being made.

“Indeed, it can sometimes lead to just the opposite, a gridlock.

“This reflects negatively on our sport, prevents it being fit for the next generation of fans and compromises future global growth."

... you need to have prepared yourself for the next step if those who govern F1 ignore your protest. Were the GPDA to meekly back down if FOM, FIA or the Strategy Group ignores them, all they will have achieved is to demonstrate they are paper tigers.

Allow me to dream a little. A few more races have taken place... the assorted nonsenses continue, the FOM, FIA and the Strategy Group thrash around to no effect. Audiences on TV and at circuits remain soft. It's now summer and the GPDA's points have been ignored. They issue a firm set of proposals for the governance of F1. Ignored or rubbished.

So they then announce that unless their proposed changes are discussed in a joint meeting with the GPDA and the FIA they will not race at Austria, Britain, Hungary and Germany. That would create a hole between mid June and late August. 

Drivers never struck before? See South African GP 1982.

#292 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,030 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:36

They brought it upon themselves, though. 'They' were all very happy when Bernie turned them into multi-millionaires. Now, as you say, it's roast goose time.

The thousands of regular people who work in the Motorsport industry who aren't team owners didn't bring squat on themselves. They had no way of stopping the sport being sold to a bunch of venture capitalists who are now giving every impression of terminal asset stripping and they don't deserve to be told they share the blame for this risk to their livelihood.

#293 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,773 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:02

I'm assuming this will prevent any sort of online streaming for Britain? Why would they lock in exclusive coverage for the next decade? 

#294 Darren1

Darren1

• 202 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:09

I'm not sure I'll even make 2018. Just so fed up with the sport. Goodbye F1

#295 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,769 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:44

The big question is WILL F1 exist as we know it by then. Stupidly expensive and technical Boring silly ugly cars, Pay TV.

Like so many I will not pay, even when it is free it sends me to sleep. So the 'product' has little to sell.

Plus by then Bernie may well be gone too!

#296 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:55

Well **** me. There's a good nail in the coffin of F1. I hope FOM, CVC, the teams get **** served up big time. I hope people take a massive banner to Silverstone telling CVC and Bernie to go do something to themselves.

Perhaps chant anti sky stuff as well.

What a morning. :(

#297 Will

Will

• 3,168 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:03

If Sky have half a brain they would try and make sure their viewership doesn't decline to zero by offering a reasonably priced annual deal to watch the races online via NOWTV, say priced at £50/year

#298 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 899 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:05

BIB: My opinion of Sky F1 has been the same since I watched their coverage in their first season - it's poor, and I think this is a consistent view of a lot of people on here.

Crofty, I was one of those that quite liked him on BBC 5 Live when he commentated on practice, but that is different. He had a relatively minor role and his style worked on Radio, during practice where he had to be very descriptive and talk for periods where nothing was happening. Since moving to Sky, he has steadily become more tabloid and added more and more hype to his commentary, he regularly drones on about irrelevant garbage like 'who paid for the beers last night', or 'where are we going for dinner tonight?'

Personally I think the exact opposite! Croft is great. A bit of enthusiasm and people want Legard back (shudder).

I like the overall coverage and really have no complaints at all. Eddie Jordan's Poetry Corner on the BBC - now that was awful.

People whinge about Sky, but that's pay TV for you. Plenty of people resent the notion of paying anything for what they regard as getting for free at the moment, but Freeview is bloody awful after having Sky.

#299 OO7

OO7

• 18,790 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:09

When I was younger we followed our sport by going to watch it, I liked bikes so weekend trips were many and fun. 

The TV coverage in the great days of our 4 channels was not only spotty but sometimes just strange, "try watching

a chess match followed by Rally Cross".

Now I have 600 TV channels and many are dedicated to a single sport, my children don't even bother with TV as

the Phone and Tablet are their toys. The price of a ticket to see a race now is way beyond the means of most people

but the cost for the TV channel or Net stream is much cheaper.

Times have changed, the sports make more money from TV and sponsors than bums in seats. A stadium will only

hold 75k but  TV'S watching  could be millions. I don't like it but the writing is on the wall all profitable sports will

be behind pay walls.

I thought my first post here should very depressing. :lol:

Welcome to the forum david. :wave:

Advertisement

#300 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,278 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:22

If it was possible simply to buy on a per race basis through Now TV or Netflix (e.g. £10 a race) then I would do that.

But I'm not signing up to a binding contract for £32 a month that is an absolute pain in the arse to get out of.

This is the problem with the model - F1 fans are basically subsidising other sports broadcasts. I'll just have to follow Formula E instead.