Photo
- - - - -

Sky to broadcast F1 exclusively in UK from 2019 [UPDATE: C4 highlights for 2019]

• Please log in to reply
2199 replies to this topic

#301 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:26

It wouldn't surprise me if Sky snapped up a few other motorsport contracts in the coming years. BT have blown them out of the water almost on the football front, if that gets any worse then they will surely snap up a few more niche sports. Enjoy BTCC etc while you still can.

I don't have a total objection to pay TV, but the model needs to be modernised. Subscriptions are old hat and a waste of money generally (alhough I find BT Sport good value at the moment). In this day and age they should offer stuff you can pick and choose individually at a cheap price. Attract impulse purchases. Want to watch the race at the weekend? Two quid. Want access to all three days? Five quid please. Something like that.

We have NowTV which is a good step, but it is drastically expensive. OK you get a full day out of it for your seven quid, but I only want to watch the Manchester derby! It should be much more focussed on individual programmes.

But hey, I suppose there is a reason I don't own a massive TV empire. I wouldn't be surprised if FTA is back on the table by 2019 tbf, but at the moment this is a retrograde and miserly step that will do serious damage to the sport. And eventually all other countries will go the same way.

Still. Their loss

Advertisement

#302 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:28

If you do not have ~ €60/month to watch movie, sports, entertainment, culture channels. F1 should be the smallest problem in your life.

Your life sounds amazing. I wish I was you.

#303 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:46

Your life sounds amazing. I wish I was you.

No secret to having an amazing life ,,, a good education and hard work gets you there.   ;)

#304 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:51

More money up front, less people watching, the people who benifit out of this are the people who sold the rights, and maybe sky get a few more bucks and slightly bigger share of the already "saturated by sky" market.

**** the lot of them I say, Viewing figures had already dramatically dropped when BBC lost exclusive live coverage. Oh well, money talks, no one gives a flying **** for anything other than cold hard cash.

But this is Bernie all over.  Brabham could have dominated the sport in the mid-70s - they had the best designer, they had the best car, they had some of the best drivers - but instead of buying Cosworths like everyone else, Bernie did a deal so that Alfa Romeo would pay him to put their boat anchor in the back of the BTs.

Short-term gain, but it killed any chance of winning the title. 

And of course the money is only going to FOM, the teams lose out because they cannot get title sponsors as those sponsors get an audience of less than a million in the UK rather than a potential of tens of millions.  Not forgetting the subliminal advertising via news clips and reminders of races being put before the viewing public at large. 

The teams had the chance to band together and do something about it, only Ferrari and Red Bull ratted them out (as Ferrari always does). 

I suppose there is something we can do, on the basis that the insane way F1 has its rights was done by order of the EU.  At least in Britain we can vote to get out of this foetid morass of corruption and baksheesh.

#305 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:52

Basically it's just another step for Sky to monopolise the sporting market for media coverage.

Surely there's a law preventing such a stranglehold on exclusivity?

There is, but the Viler pig****er is in Murdoch's pocket.

#306 as65p

as65p

• 22,013 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:59

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed RTL keep coverage in the future and I'll continue my long and so far fairly fruitless attempt to learn German. 

Don't bother. You're better off not understanding anything they say, trust me.  ;)

#307 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:04

No secret to having an amazing life ,,, a good education and hard work gets you there.   ;)

Well I am already there, but thanks.

I am not sure pay TV is the promised land you two seem to think it is mind you. But best of luck all the same.  :drunk:

#308 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:09

Well I am already there, but thanks.

I am not sure pay TV is the promised land you two seem to think it is mind you. But best of luck all the same.  :drunk:

No biggie mate, still watch F1 over here and I have been paying for sometime. It's costs about the same price of an internet connection. But hey lets not let that irony get in the way of this thread.

#309 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,584 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:10

I'm outraged.... by the outrage! 

We have it too good in the UK. 35+ years of FTA TV, followed by;

Apple box £45. Race £6.99 ea = All races live for £191.79 for the season.

Basic Sky subscription £20 per month = £240 for a load of channels, all highlights and a few live races. 

Free streaming on tinternet if you know where to look.

Anyone implying they can afford it but won't on a principle because "it's ****" or "Rupert sucks" - we'll that's your choice, I have zero sympathy. 

Is this really going to harm F1? Sure it'll lose some viewers in the UK, but its checks and balances with growing audiences in other parts of the world.

If F1 income and therefore budgets continue to shrink, it'll adapt accordingly. At the end of the day, F1's problems started when it got too big for its boots...

My sympathies to anyone who genuinely cannot afford to watch it, I can't believe that it's many of you. 

#310 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:23

No biggie mate, still watch F1 over here and I have been paying for sometime. It's costs about the same price of an internet connection. But hey lets not let that irony get in the way of this thread.

Ah. So you are just bitter at having had to pay for it for a while (as have I incidentally).

Bitter but now feeling quite smug at least.

Christ.

#311 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 1,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:24

You don't get Sky Sports F1 on the basic Sky subscription, which doesn't stay £20 for long by the way. It currently costs us more that £70 a month (Internet and phone is in that) and that's the cheaper HD option which isn't even available to new customers. It costs £45.50 a month for sky sports for a new customer and expect that cost to rise after the first 6 months. it is an outrage and I'm annoyed that all sport is going this way. Its a lot of money for people.

Edited by SilverArrow31, 24 March 2016 - 08:32.

#312 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:27

You don't get Sky Sports F1 on the basic Sky subscription, which doesn't stay £20 for long by the way. It currently costs us more that £70 a month (Internet and phone is in that) and that's the cheaper HD option which isn't even available to new customers. It costs £45.50 a month for sky sports for a new customer and expect that cost to rise after the first 6 months.

:up:

I am one of the lucky ones. I had Sky for years and my F1 is still free. Pretty poor coverage but I can still watch the race in glorious HD for no extra on top of the £11 I pay Sky per month. For me that is decent value, on top of all the other channels.

For most people it sucks balls. The cost is eye watering, especially when there is an entire month mid-season with no race.  :drunk:

Edited by Knowlesy, 24 March 2016 - 08:28.

#313 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,584 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:28

You don't get Sky Sports F1 on the basic Sky subscription, which doesn't stay £20 for long by the way. It currently costs us more that £70 a month (Internet and phone is in that) and that's the cheaper HD option which isn't even available to new customers. It costs £45.50 a month for sky sports for a new customer and expect that cost to rise after the first 6 months.

A full season of F1 on a dedicated channel plus 100 other channels including sports channels isn't a fair comparison to what FTA offered! 

You can watch all races live with an apple box and now TV for under £200 per year, these quotes of £900 a year is just scaremongering. 

Edit; I'd also suggest that for some people, if they factored in bundling Phone and Internet and the savings they'd make there, the next increase for a basic sky package would be less than the £20 per month. 

Edited by Rinehart, 24 March 2016 - 08:38.

#314 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:33

Ah. So you are just bitter at having had to pay for it for a while (as have I incidentally).

Bitter but now feeling quite smug at least.

Christ.

LOL, not bitter at all. I work hard to enjoy certain privileges one being F1. I mean come on, if you can afford to post on an F1 site you can afford to pay to watch f1. If that's not the case give up posting on the internet it's simples really.

Edited by YoungGun, 24 March 2016 - 08:33.

#315 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:35

100 channels. 98 of which nobody will ever watch anyways. And which are being gradually pared back anyways as Sky has overstretched itself for the last football contract. 

A meagre £200 per year on AppleTV though.  :drunk:

LOL, not bitter at all. I work hard to enjoy certain privileges one being F1. I mean come on, if you can afford to post on an F1 site you can afford to pay to watch f1. If that's not the case give up posting on the internet it's simples really.

Ah, I see. You're on the windup.

Edited by Knowlesy, 24 March 2016 - 08:38.

#316 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 1,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:36

Yes it is. Because to watch the races on Sky you need to buy all of that, you cant just pick and choose what you get, the additional channels available on Sky is irrelevant as we are discussing the F1 coverage. Its the ability to watch the races for free, or pay 45.50 a month for the first six months..... then pay more.... its black and white.

Edited by SilverArrow31, 24 March 2016 - 08:37.

#317 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,584 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:43

100 channels. 98 of which nobody will ever watch anyways. And which are being gradually pared back anyways as Sky has overstretched itself for the last football contract. 

A meagre £200 per year on AppleTV though.  :drunk:

Assuming anyone on here has a computer with internet connection, you can get Now TV on that so it would just be the cost of the races LIVE at £6.99 per race. Don't need to buy the British GP and guessing that for most people you'd probably miss at least 2 or 3 races anyway due to other commitments, 16 races is £112. Most people who can't afford that probably can't afford a TV and a license anyway...

#318 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:46

This was always on the cards the moment BBC had to enter into a share deal with Murdoch's empire. Can't really blame the Beeb. Their funding structure has been blown apart. They have to fund the World Service which is peerless in World Broadcasting and paying for free TV licences for the over 70s is a major payout. Ecclestone is not a strategist. His metier is short term gain not forward planning. CVC saw the increased revenue of an exclusive deal never mind they now downgrade F1 to a niche sport. Forget the EU commission, they could not solve the puzzles in the Beano. The only hope is a parliamentary committee investigation driven by an online petition. AFAIK it was on the statute that certain blue riband events needed to remain on FTA but with the loss of the Open golf that may not be so. I won't be paying any money to Sky. I've got to save for my Pension, so won't be passing any hard earned cash Rupert's way.

#319 Will

Will

• 3,171 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:57

Saying 16 races is £112 is a bit disingenuous as it would be just the race with a 24 hour pass. You wouldn't be able to watch qualifying for that price.

Advertisement

#320 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:57

Saying 16 races is £112 is a bit disingenuous as it would be just the race with a 24 hour pass. You wouldn't be able to watch qualifying for that price.

Plus it will probably go up in price by then anyways.

#321 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 1,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:01

Assuming anyone on here has a computer with internet connection, you can get Now TV on that so it would just be the cost of the races LIVE at £6.99 per race. Don't need to buy the British GP and guessing that for most people you'd probably miss at least 2 or 3 races anyway due to other commitments, 16 races is £112. Most people who can't afford that probably can't afford a TV and a license anyway...

Now TV is one of the most transparent money making scam I have ever encountered. You pay £7 for a day of coverage, when you only want to watch at maximum 3 hours, F1 or Football fans here, and what if you are a super fan like many of us here are and what to watch the whole weekend, and again you are missing the point, the outrage is that it now coverage will now be locked behind some kind of paywall rather than being free for new fans and old alike, and this is from a guy that loves the Sky coverage. 

Edited by SilverArrow31, 24 March 2016 - 09:09.

#322 pjnoake

pjnoake

• 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:05

Think it's so short sited. Can't believe they could not have agreed to show at least highlights on FTA (non sky channel)

They go on about trying to atract younger fans but now anyone living with parents will be totally dependant on them having sky to ever see F1. It's not like they can make the choice themselves.

If their parents don't have sky they will never see f1

#323 Joshrobins13

Joshrobins13

• 347 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:14

I'm just not going to pay Sky that amount of money for such poor coverage. They don't offer anything extra, there's no innovation in their coverage. They just seem to spend money on more and more opinionated pundits who just regurgitate the same message.

On Netflix, I can pay £6.99 for a month and watch a whole season of House of Cards on the day its released along with hundreds of other shows. And I can do this when I want. That is value for money.

#324 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,812 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:15

If it was possible simply to buy on a per race basis through Now TV or Netflix (e.g. £10 a race) then I would do that.

But I'm not signing up to a binding contract for £32 a month that is an absolute pain in the arse to get out of.

This is the problem with the model - F1 fans are basically subsidising other sports broadcasts. I'll just have to follow Formula E instead.

you can buy weekly passes for 10.99 through nowtv ... you don't need a contract. A weekly pass will give you all the coverage. Cheaper at 6.99 is a daily pass, if you want only the race itself

#325 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,584 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:30

Now TV is one of the most transparent money making scam I have ever encountered. You pay £7 for a day of coverage, when you only want to watch at maximum 3 hours, F1 or Football fans here, and what if you are a super fan like many of us here are and what to watch the whole weekend, and again you are missing the point, the outrage is that it now coverage will now be locked behind some kind of paywall rather than being free for new fans and old alike, and this is from a guy that loves the Sky coverage. 

Sorry, but personally, I don't have the sense of entitlement that things like this shouldn't be behind the paywall. I think it's been great while it lasted (FTA), rather than being a rip off now. Perhaps I'm just a glass half full kinda guy. 

#326 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,770 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:32

Sorry, but personally, I don't have the sense of entitlement that things like this shouldn't be behind the paywall. I think it's been great while it lasted (FTA), rather than being a rip off now. Perhaps I'm just a glass half full kinda guy. 

Rinehart, how do you propose F1 will attract new fans who are prepared to pay in the first place? This is not a sarcastic question.

#327 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,887 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:41

No secret to having an amazing life ,,, a good education and hard work gets you there.  ;)

...Or just being born with a silver spoon in your mouth!

#328 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,344 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:42

I can still make a banner for the GP though....

Don't bother with a banner. Bernie controls the TV feed, it won't make it onto our TV screens and if somehow it does no-one's watching anyway...

#329 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:46

Welcome to the real world... Here in South Africa, we've been dealing with a monopolist broadcaster that has lapped up exclusivity for just about everything and has even managed to pen a shady deal with the public broadcaster which basically hands them control of even the public broadcaster archives. Here Netflix can't even stream their own shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black because Multichoice/DSTv has the exclusive rights.

#330 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:54

...Or just being born with a silver spoon in your mouth!

True, my children hopefully get to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

#331 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:55

Rinehart, how do you propose F1 will attract new fans who are prepared to pay in the first place? This is not a sarcastic question.

Particularly given FOM's attitude toward anything from a TV feed that ends up on YouTube, which is how a lot of young people first encounter sports or TV shows nowadays. F1 approaches pay TV as though it was still 2002; other sports and TV networks embrace the fact that snippets of shows can appear illicitly on YouTube (or similar) as a way of potential audiences being exposed to the product.

There again, the sport is headed by someone who thinks its key market is 70 year olds with Rolexes.

#332 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,344 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:57

Rupert Murdoch wouldn't even need Viagra to get a boner from what you just said.

#333 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:01

Self answering question or did you mean to write "aren't"?

#334 OO7

OO7

• 19,155 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:02

Sky is coughing up the cash at the moment.  If F1 is in a poor state when the Sky contract nears its end, FOM will offer FTA again and widen its online presence making it more accessible.  It will then make Tyrone Biggums' out of the next generation as it it did us.  It's............

#335 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:03

Rupert Murdoch wouldn't even need Viagra to get a boner from what you just said.

Understood mate, as a small business owner forgive me for not sharing you view. 

#336 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,770 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:05

Self answering question or did you mean to write "aren't"?

I have no idea what you mean. However, given your repeated position in this thread seems to be glee about how you can afford Sky, as if existing fans being able or not able to afford/figure out ways to view the races is the real problem, not sure I'm bothered by my failure to follow whatever you're getting at here. 

#337 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:05

I was glad the day F1 stopped being free to air in Sweden like eight years ago. It got rid of the stupid commercial breaks. :smoking:

#338 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:09

I have no idea what you mean. However, given your repeated position in this thread seems to be glee about how you can afford Sky, as if existing fans being able or not able to afford/figure out ways to view the races is the real problem, not sure I'm bothered by my failure to follow whatever you're getting at here. 

If they are prepared to pay then they are obviously aware of F1. Or am I missing something?

#339 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:12

Decline in F1 fans has an impact on everything. Whats the bets Autosport are having meetings next week to try and asses the potential damage that they could suffer if interest in F1 declines?

No doubt, they'll be looking at other sports that have moved behind paywalls and at the fortunes afterwards of the print media connected with them.

I can watch the sky coverage at the moment as my Dad is a legacy HD Customer. Wont last forever that though.

Advertisement

#340 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:14

If they are prepared to pay then they are obviously aware of F1. Or am I missing something?

Troll. 

#341 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,770 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:15

Yes. Maybe this is a language barrier thing, so allow me to rephrase the question. In a model that requires a lot of money upfront to view the sport, how are people going to be persuaded to subscribe if they are not already fans in the first place?

#342 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,169 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:21

David Croft - the voice of F1 for the next 8 years at least :down:

#343 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:23

I bailed out of Sky Sports last year, I've had enough of helping them pour many in to an EPL that is already dripping wet with cash. No doubt they'll put the subs up even more over the next couple of years inorder to pay for depriving people of a sport they love, so needless to say I won't be partaking. 

#344 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:24

Just to clarify, do we know if the 'FTA Highlights' will actually be on FTA - BBC/ITV/C4 so that people with only Freeview can watch it or will it only be on another sky channel like Sky 1 where it is only 'free' to the basic Sky customers?

#345 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:24

I got into F1 when I was 7 because it happened to be on the TV (in 1984, since you didn't ask - I think either Zandvoort or the Osterreichring).

My dad wasn't especially into it or anything.

Whereas kids in future are going to be dependent on parents having the subscriptions (which in an era of stagnating real incomes, precarious employment, and rising costs of more essential things such as housing and energy is going to be a shrinking number of people IMO), and probably having a prior interest.

#346 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,344 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:26

Being a business owner is irrelevant, I know that because I too am a successful business owner.

Yes. Maybe this is a language barrier thing, so allow me to rephrase the question. In a model that requires a lot of money upfront to view the sport, how are people going to be persuaded to subscribe if they are not already fans in the first place?

My guess is that's where the watered down FTA highlights package comes in.

#347 pjnoake

pjnoake

• 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:29

Just to clarify, do we know if the 'FTA Highlights' will actually be on FTA - BBC/ITV/C4 so that people with only Freeview can watch it or will it only be on another sky channel like Sky 1 where it is only 'free' to the basic Sky customers?

From what I understand it will only be on sky channels not freeview.

#348 Radion

Radion

• 2,330 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:29

They get a one race trial subscription.  :cool:

Other than that a model could look like: The first races are free, then pay. Wasn't there some altering system between BBC (free) and Sky (pay). Do you happen to have numbers re how many from the free broadcast went on to subscribe to Sky because they didn't want to miss 'the show'?

Edited by Radion, 24 March 2016 - 10:29.

#349 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:31

I do hope for you and the sake of your business you have someone who does your marketing for you, because I as a business owner myself can't understand your way of thinking in any way or form.

#350 labarte

labarte

• 183 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:33

Very sad news. So much sport is going this way, it is short-termist and ultimately the sport itself will suffer -- just look at what's happened to boxing.

I wonder if tomorrow's equivalent of Lewis Hamilton (whose parents made a great deal of financial sacrifices for his racing career) will be able to watch F1 in future? I guess it'll just be for the talentless rich kids like Chilton and Stevens.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if the FOM money was divided up more equally among the teams so we had a more competitive grid. The governance of the sport is also a farce at the moment, latest news suggests they will not be going back to the old qualy system after all. Then you have the classic tracks like Monza, Spa and Silverstone under threat because they can't afford to pay Bernie and his Private Equity carpet-bagging cronies. The product gets worse and the price goes up: unacceptable.

Edited by labarte, 24 March 2016 - 10:35.