* * * * * 2 votes

F1 crazy statistics

• Please log in to reply
5468 replies to this topic

#5301 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 519 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 14:54

There are 2 problems with that, first I don't like the name even though I was a fan and second I have a daughter......

Why didnt you gave her 1st name "Senna" then!?

It functions perfectly as a first name too

Senna Johnson
Senna Smith
Senna Katayama
Senna Sanchez

It can be used as a first name in almost all languages.

Yet, nobody ever (of all those Senna fans who had daughters) ever used it as a name. Simply because there is very bad karma beneath that name.

Advertisement

#5302 Currahee

Currahee

• 488 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 14:57

There used to be an old Scottish joke about F1 drivers named after Scottish towns. Name 3 drivers (now 4) named after Scottish towns...Johnny Dumfries, Stirling Moss and Ayr toon centre. Was funny at school. You can obviously add Lewis Hamilton to that.

#5303 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 213 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:01

Senna Johnson
Senna Smith
Senna Katayama
Senna Sanchez

Yet, nobody ever (of all those Senna fans who had daughters) ever used it as a name. Simply because there is very bad karma beneath that name.

Nobody ever? you checked the stats for that first name? Not everyone attaches value to supposed bad karma of a name: there are still people naming their son Adolf

#5304 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,677 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:18

There are 2 problems with that, first I don't like the name even though I was a fan and second I have a daughter......

Ayrtonette.

#5305 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 519 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:25

Nobody ever? you checked the stats for that first name? Not everyone attaches value to supposed bad karma of a name: there are still people naming their son Adolf

In my original post I said "sane parent"

#5306 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,218 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:43

She might marry a bloke called Podd.

#5307 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,964 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:43

Ayrtonette.

:eek:

This is where I agree with those countries  that draw the line what sort of names parents bestow upon  their sprogs!

#5308 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,832 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:52

Would you name your own son "Ayrton" while knowing what happened to original Ayrton?

Taking your nickname as inspiration: shall we have a look on the list of drivers who died at the track where the inspiration of your alias created the inspiration of your alias to see which names should be tainted to be used in the USA because of???

Edited by Henri Greuter, 04 September 2019 - 15:52.

#5309 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,948 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:53

If you had to pick 2 drivers from the same team of 1st winners who would you pick?

Me personally i'd go with Lotus. Clark and Senna. With Rindt and Peterson in reserve. A mighty fine team that.

Agreed.

#5310 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,828 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 16:11

Would you name your own son "Ayrton" while knowing what happened to original Ayrton?

Original Ayrton? Are you saying he was the first to ever be given that name?

Its easy to see any no sane person would saddle their child with name Adolf, but just because someone met an unfortunate end doesn't make a name off-limits. If that were the case there wouldn't be many names that could be used.

#5311 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,160 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 16:13

Senna Johnson
Senna Smith
Senna Katayama
Senna Sanchez

Maybe because I don't like Senna either? Just because I was a fan of Ayrton Senna doesn't mean I have any intention of naming anyone after him. Before we knew the sex of my daughter the boy's name I liked was Ethan and I never watched Mission Impossible as a child......

I'm not superstitious in any way shape or form, I quite happily break mirrors, walk under ladders and cross the path of black cats all day long and would be quite happy to live in house 13 or sit in isle 13 on a plane.

#5312 M66R

M66R

• 82 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 16:15

This has probably been mentioned but Gerhard Berger got Benetton's first (1986) and last (1997) win.

Oh that's a great stat!

#5313 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,186 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 16:33

In my original post I said "sane parent"

Which is just you being offensive for no reason.

Many would name their kids after those who have inspired them, despite them having tragic deaths. It doesn't indicate any insanity.

As ensign said, doesn't stop thousands of parents naming their sons "Jesus" (mainly in the Spanish speaking world).

#5314 BRG

BRG

• 16,958 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 18:02

Former racing driver Mark Proctor called his son 'Senna'  who was born in 1998.  Senna is now racing in the BTCC.  Will that do?

#5315 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 177 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 18:44

Former racing driver Mark Proctor called his son 'Senna'  who was born in 1998.  Senna is now racing in the BTCC.  Will that do?

There is also an Ayrton Simmons racing in British F3 who was born in 2001.

Regarding the argument it is wrong to name a child after Ayrton Senna because of what happened to him. By the same logic I take it they also would not name a child Peter, Jim, Daniel, Justin, Greg, Tom, Paul, etc.

#5316 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 519 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 18:59

There is also an Ayrton Simmons racing in British F3 who was born in 2001.

Regarding the argument it is wrong to name a child after Ayrton Senna because of what happened to him. By the same logic I take it they also would not name a child Peter, Jim, Daniel, Justin, Greg, Tom, Paul, etc.

All those names are common names and there are thousands and thousands men associated with each of those names

Name Ayrton, however is unique and there is practically only one man associated with it.

#5317 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,186 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 19:14

So I just learned that Ayrton is a corruption of the name of Yorkshire town Airton meaning "a farmstead on the River Aire". That fits in with the strange habit of Brazilians being named with very English names such as Nelson or Emerson.

All those names are common names and there are thousands and thousands men associated with each of those names

Name Ayrton, however is unique and there is practically only one man associated with it.

I bet it's a fairly common name in Brazil, especially with those born since 1988, if not 1994. I don't know why you're so hung up on this. We're talking about a racing driver who was an inspiration to millions of fans and died tragically. It's not like he was a mass-murderer or something.

#5318 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,948 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 20:07

I named my son Johann after Johann Zarco. And because it also relates to my father and grandfather.

=D

#5319 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 20:43

Ayrton can be a girl's name you know. 

Advertisement

#5320 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 20:47

And Buddy, you are being quite insulting by saying parents are not 'sane' (as you put it) if they name their child Ayrton. 

#5321 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,940 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 21:32

I know at least two people named after others who died young in my family (and one of them in a car crash no less). It's a homage to the original person who was an inspiration. Perhaps naming people after public figures like racing drivers isn't quite the same and quite as personal, but I don't think it's weird or wishing for the same fate as the original person at all. People have different interpretations, motives and meanings for naming their children.

Now back to F1 statistics I've been preparing this spreadsheet with a method for comparing teammates, but it's not very ready yet to share it... I've been doing it manually so it takes ages, could be a nice part-time programming project for automating it, maybe one day I'll have the patience for it... But I'd need to input tons of F1 results into a database to even start

#5322 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,940 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 23:42

Here's a glimpse of what I'm working on...

C4Vkaoy.jpg

The measuring unit is a little arbitrary, but it goes from -4 (got absolutely smashed by a team-mate in every single qualy and race) to +4 (the other way around). It's based on this very old website f1-facts.com team-mate comparison feature, which used that same measure, except I'm using a different formula that I prefer. As you can see that website is starting to crumble on every webpage with dead links etc, the stats they have on Grosjean aren't even correct (check out the number of races for the last few seasons, a lot of races have gone missing for whatever strange reason), so since I liked that feature I took matters into my own hands to replicate it on my own way...

#5323 Jarninho

Jarninho

• 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:43

Jarno Trulli was named after Jarno Saarinen and was born after the deadly crash of 1973. Pretty much everyone named Jarno is either named after Saarinen or after Trulli. 

#5324 Beri

Beri

• 1,555 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:49

Jarno Trulli was named after Jarno Saarinen and was born after the deadly crash of 1973. Pretty much everyone named Jarno is either named after Saarinen or after Trulli.

Jarno

This name derives from the Hebrew “Yirmeyâh / Yirmeyâhû”, meaning (the Lord loosens, God will uplift, Yah exalts). Jeremiah was one of the major prophets of the Hebrew Bible. Judaism considers the Book of Jeremiah part of its canon, and regards Jeremiah as the second of the major prophets. Islam considers Jeremiah a prophet. Christianity also regards Jeremiah as a prophet and he is quoted in the New Testament.

http://www.name-doct...arno-11945.html

#5325 Jarninho

Jarninho

• 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:51

I know. It's my name. Just trying to say that like the name Ayrton, the name was popularised by a racer that had a deadly crash. Someone was arguing that it was incorrect for parents to name their child after someone like that. I disagree. I think it's a great honour.

#5326 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,628 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 13:18

http://www.meertens....b/naam/is/jarno

Since 1973 it turned up in the Netherlands. Funny enough it could be true, because it correlates with the 1973 crash.

Similar for Senna, alhoug it was 2003 that it suddenly rises and mostly for females. Ayrton never was very popular: http://www.meertens..../naam/is/ayrton

#5327 Barty

Barty

• 1,933 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 21:42

Heinz Harold Frentzen scored the original Sauber team's first and last podiums 8 years apart.

No he didn't. Heinz-Harald Frentzen did.

#5328 Hati

Hati

• 2,899 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 16:25

In Q1 Grosjean who didn't make it to Q2 was 0,658s slower than Leclerc who was fastest. Is that smallest difference?

#5329 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:05

Leclerc wins the race after his first F1 win. Who did that before? And who won the most races consecutively after his first win?

#5330 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 1,856 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:08

Leclerc wins the race after his first F1 win. Who did that before? And who won the most races consecutively after his first win?

I seem to remember this coming up the other day and Damon Hill got mentioned with three in a row.

#5331 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,832 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:08

Already answered elsewhere.

LH had the record of winning his first two races within 8 days of time (2007), which is now equalled by Charles.

Damon Hill had his first three victories in succession in '93.

#5332 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:09

Ascari

Collins

McLaren*

Arnoux

Mansell

D.Hill (3)

Häkkinen (3)*

Hamilton

McLaren and Häkkinen took the first win of their career in the last race of the season and then won the opening race of the following season.

#5333 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:12

so not that many Formula 1 driver. Thanks!

#5334 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,186 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:13

Already answered elsewhere.

LH had the record of winning his first two races within 8 days of time (2007), which is now equalled by Charles.

Damon Hill had his first three victories in succession in '93.

That's a meaningless statistic though. The drivers don't have a say in when the next race happens.

#5335 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,832 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:28

That's a meaningless statistic though. The drivers don't have a say in when the next race happens.

Why?

With Brexit coming up, who knows we're gonna see Britain going even more back to the past and get the GP back on Saturday again as once was the habit. In which case, should there have been a race the Sunday before, it theory it would be possible that the record can be beaten by someone.

Not very likely of course....

#5336 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,186 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:30

Why?

With Brexit coming up, who knows we're gonna see Britain going even more back to the past and get the GP back on Saturday again as once was the habit. In which case, should there have been a race the Sunday before, it theory it would be possible that the record can be beaten by someone.

It's meaningless because it's a factor of race scheduling. Having a Grand Prix on a Saturday would have nothing to do with the EU though, so I don't know why you need to bring Brexit into it.

#5337 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,628 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:34

This is the first season we have more races than regular driver seats with 20 seats vs 21 races? At least in the winged era.

#5338 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,555 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 19:00

Having a Grand Prix on a Saturday would have nothing to do with the EU though, so I don't know why you need to bring Brexit into it.

Indeed. I think Mansell's second win was on a Saturday, but it was a 2 week gap after Brands rather than 1, so Nige is now 3rd on this all important stat.

#5339 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,832 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 19:06

It's meaningless because it's a factor of race scheduling. Having a Grand Prix on a Saturday would have nothing to do with the EU though, so I don't know why you need to bring Brexit into it.

Have it your way.

But for the (also meaningless ????)  record, on Dutch TV it was pointed out that Leclerc matched a record set by Lewis for winning his first two races in a row  but doing it within 8 days of time.

That you can't plan a certain record to be achieved in a very peculiar way doens't make the peculiar way meaningless and not worth bother to mention.

That's all.

Edited by Henri Greuter, 08 September 2019 - 19:07.

Advertisement

#5340 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,940 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 19:12

The most meaningless stats are the best. How else can you impress people with irritating obscure irrelevant bits of knowledge, if not for this kind of thing?

#5341 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 520 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 19:42

Why?

What? Brexit? You probably right  :rotfl:

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 08 September 2019 - 19:42.

#5342 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,186 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:09

Have it your way.

But for the (also meaningless ????)  record, on Dutch TV it was pointed out that Leclerc matched a record set by Lewis for winning his first two races in a row  but doing it within 8 days of time.

That you can't plan a certain record to be achieved in a very peculiar way doens't make the peculiar way meaningless and not worth bother to mention.

That's all.

It would mean something if it had some element of competition to it. It is an achievement to take your first two wins in consecutive races, but what Charles and Lewis did is no different to what Ascari, Collins, McLaren, Arnoux, Mansell, Hill and Hakkinen did. They didn't have any say in the next race being a week later.

#5343 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 930 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:16

Hamilton won his first race on June 10, 2007 at circa 18:46 UTC. He won his second race on June 17, 2007 at circa 18:33 UTC. So that's 7 full days minus 13 or so minutes.

Leclerc won his first race on September 1, 2019 at circa 15:36 UTC. He won his second race on September 8, 2019 at circa 15:17 UTC. So that's 7 full days minus 19 or so minutes.

While I don't have the exact times available, it seems that Leclerc was slightly quicker at securing his second victory.

#5344 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,910 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:18

Does anyone know how many drivers have won two races on consecutive weekends? I'm assuming Schumacher and Hamilton both have, and I seem to recall Ralf Schumacher doing so in 2003. Leclerc has now done so too. Anyone remember any other examples?

#5345 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,555 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:25

I reckon about 20 different drivers have done it.

#5346 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,403 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:26

Does anyone know how many drivers have won two races on consecutive weekends? I'm assuming Schumacher and Hamilton both have, and I seem to recall Ralf Schumacher doing so in 2003. Leclerc has now done so too. Anyone remember any other examples?

So drivers winning back to back races on back to back race weekends? There's surely quite a few.

Rosberg, Vettel, Raikkonen, Alonso, even Button in 2009 I think

#5347 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 1,300 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:29

Mansell and Prost had some good runs...

Mansell 86, 87, 91 and 92 - French and British GPs.

Prost 89, 90 and 93 - French and British GPs.

#5348 D28

D28

• 1,499 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 23:43

Mansell and Prost had some good runs...

Mansell 86, 87, 91 and 92 - French and British GPs.

Prost 89, 90 and 93 - French and British GPs.

Jim Clark 65 British and Dutch GP

Jack Brabham 66  British, Dutch GP

#5349 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 00:55

Slightly related, Casey Stoner won races in Saturday, Sunday and Monday in MotoGP.

Has anyone done the same innF1?

#5350 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,555 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:43

Moss and Clark for starters. Clark won on a Friday too.

Emmo had Saturday, Sunday and Monday wins all within a 3 month period in 1972.

Edited by Collombin, 09 September 2019 - 02:34.