* * * * * 2 votes

F1 crazy statistics

• Please log in to reply
5419 replies to this topic

#5401 D28

D28

• 1,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 15:03

Incidentally, Räikkönen has won races during the terms of three different US presidents: GW Bush, Obama, and Trump. This is as many as:

• Bruce McLaren (Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson)
  • Graham Hill (Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon)
  • Clay Regazzoni (Nixon, Ford, Carter)
  • Mario Andretti (Nixon, Ford, Carter)
  • Ronnie Peterson (Nixon, Ford, Carter)
  • Jody Scheckter (Nixon, Ford, Carter)
  • Nelson Piquet (Carter, Reagan, GHW Bush)
  • Alain Prost (Reagan, GHW Bush, Clinton)
  • Ayrton Senna (Reagan, GHW Bush, Clinton)
  • Nigel Mansell (Reagan, GHW Bush, Clinton)
  • Gerhard Berger (Reagan, GHW Bush, Clinton)
  • Michael Schumacher (GHW Bush, Clinton, GW Bush)
  • Rubens Barrichello (Clinton, GW Bush, Obama)
  • Lewis Hamilton (GW Bush, Obama, Trump)
  • Sebastian Vettel (GW Bush, Obama, Trump)

But the record holders are Carlos Reutemann and Niki Lauda, who won during four presidencies: those of Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Reagan.

Also, Jack Brabham (who skipped Kennedy) and John Watson (who skipped Carter) won under two different, but non-consecutive potii.

Not sure I understand the stat, but Brabham won races while Eisenhower, Johnson and Nixon were President (3)

Edited by D28, 10 September 2019 - 15:04.

Advertisement

#5402 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 907 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 15:20

Not sure I understand the stat, but Brabham won races while Eisenhower, Johnson and Nixon were President (3)

Indeed! My mistake, Brabham should be in the list along with the others.

#5403 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 1,821 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 15:28

Also Häkkinen's first 2 wins were as the result of team orders. Has anyone else in history ever won 2 consecutive races via team orders? Certainly doubt any other "first timers".

If Coulthard had won in Jerez then that too would have been the result of team orders. Not McLaren's but Williams's orders to back Frentzen into the two McLarens, which caused them to bunch up and allow Coulthard to jump Hakkinen at the stops.

So either winner would have been the result of team orders. Any others like that?

(Though really I stick to my previous position about it being vague and unknown.)

#5404 BRG

BRG

• 16,860 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 16:14

But if the current status quo is maintained and Hamilton, Vettel and Kimi retire about the same time and the Queen dies in the same year.......

Let's hope that she is spared for a few years longer and that Charles, Max and other young guns start winning the British GP.

Here's a couple of odd stats:

The first WC victories for BRM, Honda and Lotus were all taken by drivers who only ever won a single WDC victory - Bonnier, Ginther and Ireland

Peter Gethin's sole WC win at the Italian GP victory in 1971 (by a margin of 0.061 secs) was the only WC victory by a driver who took the chequered flag first but had not led a single lap of the race.

#5405 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 17:09

Gethin was at the front for three laps in total - all in the final four of the race.  Fitting for the son of jockey to know how to get his nose in front at the right time.

And there were other races where the winner only led the final lap; Piquet at Canada 1991 for instance.  Let alone those who won where they led 0 laps (e.g. de Angelis, San Marino 1985; Fagioli, France, 1951).

#5406 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 19:17

Gethin was at the front for three laps in total - all in the final four of the race.  Fitting for the son of jockey to know how to get his nose in front at the right time.

And there were other races where the winner only led the final lap; Piquet at Canada 1991 for instance.  Let alone those who won where they led 0 laps (e.g. de Angelis, San Marino 1985; Fagioli, France, 1951).

How about Buttons 2011 Canadian win. From last to hit the front on the final lap. Vettel led every other lap.

Edited by Clatter, 10 September 2019 - 19:18.

#5407 D28

D28

• 1,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 19:48

Or Rindt famously at Monaco 1970. My quick source is Marlboro Grand Prix Guide by Jacques Deschenaux, not official results. The guide lists Rindt as leading 1 lap, obviously the last few hundred yards. From this I assumed that the leader is counted at the s/f line and since the winner leads at the checker, it is not possible to win without leading a lap. Is this the case then, what do the official results say? I cannot readily find any results for laps led except for this guide.

#5408 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 19:57

Or Rindt famously at Monaco 1970. My quick source is Marlboro Grand Prix Guide by Jacques Deschenaux, not official results. The guide lists Rindt as leading 1 lap, obviously the last few hundred yards. From this I assumed that the leader is counted at the s/f line and since the winner leads at the checker, it is not possible to win without leading a lap. Is this the case then, what do the official results say? I cannot readily find any results for laps led except for this guide.

Yes, it's recorded as they cross the s/f line. and the driver is credited the lap, even only being in front for part of it.

#5409 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 19:58

You can win without leading a lap by way of post race DQs, shared drives or spectacular administrative error.

#5410 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:01

You can win without leading a lap by way of post race DQs, shared drives or spectacular administrative error.

That's true. Has it ever actually happened?

#5411 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:02

Yes.  Such as de Angelis at San Marino 1985 and Fagioli at France 1951.

#5412 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:09

Yes.  Such as de Angelis at San Marino 1985 and Fagioli at France 1951.

Was just checking Belgium 1994. Hill took the win after Schumacher was DQ. Can't find a lap chart to see if Hill led at any time.

#5413 D28

D28

• 1,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:12

OK I understand that. What of the 85 San Marino GP? Prost was disqualified yet a source I have found credits him with leading 3 laps.

The Marlboro Guide gives those laps to de Angelis. The official results then credit Prost with official stats even though disqualified? 

He is disqualified only from the win, any other stats achieved would remain on the record?

#5414 D28

D28

• 1,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:30

Was just checking Belgium 1994. Hill took the win after Schumacher was DQ. Can't find a lap chart to see if Hill led at any time.

https://www.statsf1....ue/en-tete.aspx

This site has Schumacher leading 43 and Coulthard 1

Edited by D28, 10 September 2019 - 20:33.

#5415 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,735 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:36

OK I understand that. What of the 85 San Marino GP? Prost was disqualified yet a source I have found credits him with leading 3 laps.
The Marlboro Guide gives those laps to de Angelis. The official results then credit Prost with official stats even though disqualified? 
He is disqualified only from the win, any other stats achieved would remain on the record?

Imola '85: Prost had won the race but the car was underweight so he was disqualified. Bizarre race in which a number of cars ran out of fuel in the final stages of the race.

#5416 dissident

dissident

• 79 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:33

With the 2019 WCC all but secured for Mercedes, it has just hit me that throughout the last 3 major rule sets we have the following numbers:

- Narrow-body, grooved tyres era (1998-2008):      Ferrari 8/11 WCC's

- Narrow-body slick era (2009-2013):                      Red Bull 4/5 WCC's

- Hybrid era (2014-current):                                    Mercedes 6/6 WCC's and counting

While Mercedes hasn't ended their streak yet and Red Bull hasn't been able to come close to another WCC after their dominant period, Ferrari was able to claw back 2 titles once their dominance was temporarily stopped by Renault in 2005-2006.

#5417 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,808 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:04

https://www.statsf1....r-par-tour.aspx

Apparently not, but DC did lead a lap.

I barely remember the race except Barrichello spun out, Schumacher did a 360 over the kerbs and Eau Rouge/Radillon had that horrific chincane

Does anyone remember how come DC fell from 1st to 5th?

#5418 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 1,821 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:19

https://www.statsf1....r-par-tour.aspx

Apparently not, but DC did lead a lap.

I barely remember the race except Barrichello spun out, Schumacher did a 360 over the kerbs and Eau Rouge/Radillon had that horrific chincane

Does anyone remember how come DC fell from 1st to 5th?

Did he have a problem with his rear wing? Plus presumably he only led because of pitstops?

#5419 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,808 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:37

Did he have a problem with his rear wing? Plus presumably he only led because of pitstops?

Kind of, yeah.

https://www.youtube....h?v=lNP89TpTOC4

Advertisement

#5420 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,117 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:12

I might be wrong but i vaguely remember he also had some problems with the gearbox.