- - - - -

McLaren MCL33: Part V

• Please log in to reply
1585 replies to this topic

#1551 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,514 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 14:37

I think this time last year the expectations were good - the on-track running had not yet exposed the mysterious aero problem that didn't show itself in the wind tunnel.

I'm hopeful that the hard lessons have been learned though - especially in light of many comments to that effect.

Not expecting wins, but I'm expecting a much better car next year. All comments are positive at this stage. But I know, they usually are, at this stage lol.

Regarding last year - Didn't Boullier also claim that they simply set their targets too low (when they came to find the car was a dog relative to the competition)?

Advertisement

#1552 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,296 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 14:37

Happy holiday everyone. I have a big operation next week, so i can't see you here for a while.

In the mean time, I wish all McLaren team to get great end of the year and be looking forward to hearing the sounds of PU next year.

#1553 CPR

CPR

• 4,149 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 15:45

Regarding last year - Didn't Boullier also claim that they simply set their targets too low (when they came to find the car was a dog relative to the competition)?

It's probably worth remembering that EB left at the start of July, when their investigations into the car's aero problems had just started. I think his "targets too low" comment came well before that.

Looking at what the team are saying now "targets too low" wasn't the problem.

#1554 CPR

CPR

• 4,149 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 15:55

Some interesting comments from Sainz:
https://www.autospor...s-recovery-plan

"I don't see a lot of scratching heads," said Sainz, speaking at a launch event for the new OnePlus 6T McLaren smartphone at Woking.

"I see they have a very clear picture of what has happened, and why, and the way we need to improve.

"When I got here, they made me an explanation and presentation of what happened - so for me it was very positive to see how there are some clear minds out there, and strong leadership, to see where we are going."

Sainz does not expect an immediate turnaround for McLaren.

"Whether it is going to work or not next year, this we don't know," he said.

Sainz admitted that he expected McLaren's morale to be low following its struggles in 2018, but that it proved not to be the case.

"Probably on the back of my mind I thought maybe I would find a team that wishes that its season is over and we go for next year," he said.

"But actually I have found a team that is full of battery, even in November/December.

"It is full of will to go racing next year, and that is an immediately contagious thing.

#1555 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 2,651 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 16:46

I'm hearing good things. No further comment.

Did you hear good things post-2017 as well?

#1556 Owen

Owen

• 12,641 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 16:49

Did you hear good things post-2017 as well?

I didn't. But the buzz before 2018 started was fairly positive as I recall. Only for things to turn sour...

#1557 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,514 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 18:03

It's probably worth remembering that EB left at the start of July, when their investigations into the car's aero problems had just started. I think his "targets too low" comment came well before that.

Looking at what the team are saying now "targets too low" wasn't the problem.

Well yeah, his "targets too low" comment came quite early in the season, well before the big upgrade in Spain and subsequent aero investigation. But his comments blatantly implied their baseline (which matched their targets) wasn't as competitive as they hoped for, and this logically would have trickled down regardless of the upgrades they brought. He blatantly said they weren't ambitious enough might I add.

Anyways, off season talk is cheap, which was my main point I suppose.

#1558 pup

pup

• 1,282 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 18:12

Also, the car can meet overall aero targets, but not be able to take advantage of them due to other issues, such as disrupted airflow in corners.

#1559 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 670 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 18:42

My favorite thing in winter is babbling about McLaren next year form :) As for me I'm sure this year we've hit the bottom so now it's only up for us.

Advertisement

#1560 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 19:23

Happy holiday everyone. I have a big operation next week, so i can't see you here for a while.

In the mean time, I wish all McLaren team to get great end of the year and be looking forward to hearing the sounds of PU next year.

Good Luck Kumo!

#1561 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 3,910 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 20:08

My favorite thing in winter is babbling about McLaren next year form :) As for me I'm sure this year we've hit the bottom so now it's only up for us.

We got it wrong last year. Let's hope this time we will be right.

#1562 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,008 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:02

Williams say Hi.

#1563 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,514 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:46

I'm curious to see how the Petrobas fuel/lubricant deal works out for next season. From what I've gathered they haven't been in the sport since 2008, so have some catching up to do I would imagine. Interestingly enough, they had a commercial deal with Williams form 2014-16 but Williams in fact used the Mercedes works Petronas fuel/lubricants. 

#1564 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,069 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 23:14

I'm curious to see how the Petrobas fuel/lubricant deal works out for next season. From what I've gathered they haven't been in the sport since 2008, so have some catching up to do I would imagine. Interestingly enough, they had a commercial deal with Williams form 2014-16 but Williams in fact used the Mercedes works Petronas fuel/lubricants. 

I have a worry about that, Esso got more out of the Renault, allowed the Spec-C to be ran with more reliability apparently (Don't laugh) for Red Bull so BP already lag a bit and we're going for another new supplier with even less experience.

I was hoping it would be a similar branding deal like the Williams you mention and they'd just run BP but apparently not and it will be Petrobras. Hopefully they hit the ground running and it makes little to no difference but I'm just a bit wary of it tbh. 

#1565 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 3,897 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:27

Petrobras have spent an year testing fuel so hopefully they will be up to scratch come the start of the season.

#1566 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 9,442 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:08

Not content with not winning F1 and entering IndyCar and potentially Le Mans, Mclaren are now entering the Tour de France too!!!!
https://www.telegrap...uad-bid-topple/

#1567 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,067 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:47

Not content with not winning F1 and entering IndyCar and potentially Le Mans, Mclaren are now entering the Tour de France too!!!!

Well you know the old saying; "you've got to be in it, to not win it."

#1568 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,067 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:49

Some interesting comments from Sainz:
https://www.autospor...s-recovery-plan

Nice to know that while they can't build a competitive car they at least haven't lost the ability to put together an impressive PowerPoint.

#1569 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 670 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:32

Williams say Hi.

I'm not as dumb to compare Williams with McLaren.

#1570 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 3,897 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:39

McLaren not 'copying' Red Bull car - Sainz

"I think it's very straightforward to say that the team is copying a chassis," Sainz, McLaren's new Spanish driver for 2019, said.  "I'm sure there are ideas from all the teams that McLaren has looked at, but that happens in Formula 1 and in all the categories that I have raced in."

He said McLaren has "learned a lot from the mistakes that were made" with the 2018 car. "That's why I see everyone very impatient for next year to arrive," Sainz said.

"But if a competitive car means trying to lead the middle zone, I think that is the goal that McLaren has set. It doesn't mean we will do it next year, but it is a goal and I think it is realistic, I will try not to be far away from that," he added.

https://www.wheels24...-sainz-20181212

Edited by Quickshifter, 12 December 2018 - 08:39.

#1571 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 3,897 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:47

F1 cars are such complex machines that it is always about the interplay of various parts and aerodynamics is deeply influenced by mechanicals. We will some ''ideas'' borrowed from Red Bull in terms of packaging, cooling, suspension pivots and sidepods etc but Mclaren are clearly focused on developing a car they completely understand from day one instead of veering off in to an unknown territory like they ended up with 2018 car.

#1572 HP

HP

• 17,783 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:12

Petrobras have spent an year testing fuel so hopefully they will be up to scratch come the start of the season.

Tested with the Renault engine?

#1573 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,256 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:36

dont know if it adds anything new or just a recap of Seidl probably arriving at mclaren

https://www.thebestf...ivo-de-mclaren/

probably originating from this

https://www.crash.ne...-formula-1-role

Edited by f1rules, 12 December 2018 - 09:45.

#1574 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,256 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:54

they do have a few job openings :-)

https://www.motorspo...mclaren-f1-team

#1575 Joseki

Joseki

• 2,712 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:37

What McLaren Applied Technologies does with their budget has no influence of what McLaren Racing does with their budget.

In more concrete news, a nice AMuS article about what went wrong

https://translate.go...mclaren-schief/

#1576 Heyli

Heyli

• 1,541 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:39

So Mclaren will sponsor a cycling team apparently. At least they dont need an engine supplier for that!

#1577 Lotusse7en

Lotusse7en

• 46 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:42

they do have a few job openings :-)

https://www.motorspo...mclaren-f1-team

I hope it is not to replace people that recently left . Bit late to get a "Suspension design engineer" at this stage 

#1578 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 9,442 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 13:28

What McLaren Applied Technologies does with their budget has no influence of what McLaren Racing does with their budget.

In more concrete news, a nice AMuS article about what went wrong

https://translate.go...mclaren-schief/

I'm well aware of the corporate structure of McLaren. Ultimately they have the same owners who have had to provide significant amounts of new capital to McLaren Racing. What happens at MAT affects, by proxy, the Racing arm.

#1579 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 3,897 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 14:04

Nobody, forget a corporate structure like Mclaren spend unless they can afford to. Budget is not the limiting factor for Mclaren as far as contending for 4th in the championship is concerned. Till the budget cap comes in Mclaren know it is nearly impossible to break the juggernaut of the top three. Mclaren's budget is on similar levels to Renault and in terms of facilities Mclaren are may be even slightly better.

Edited by Quickshifter, 12 December 2018 - 14:57.

Advertisement

#1580 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,529 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 14:07

Nice to know that while they can't build a competitive car they at least haven't lost the ability to put together an impressive PowerPoint.

https://twitter.com/...773208267476993

Alburaq = Blackout ?

Maybe  :stoned:

#1581 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 604 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 14:56

Nobody, forget a corporate structure like Mclaren spend unless they can afford to. Budget is not the limiting factor for Mclaren as far as contending for 4th in the championship is concerned. Till the budget cap comes in Mclaren know it is nearly impossible to break the juggernaut of the top three. Mclaren's budget is on similar levels to Renault and in terms of facilities they are may be even slightly better.

Budget is a limiting factor if the Bahrainis don't want to lose money in the F1 team, which they seemingly don't want to do. In the last accounts the 9 months revenues were £97m, and I bet that is a lot less than Renault. 

#1582 Joseki

Joseki

• 2,712 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 15:59

I'm well aware of the corporate structure of McLaren. Ultimately they have the same owners who have had to provide significant amounts of new capital to McLaren Racing. What happens at MAT affects, by proxy, the Racing arm.

Not really considering that MAT and Automotive have more incomes that outcomes and are mostly self sufficient (Automotive is apparently redirecting some of their money to Racing too).

We are discussing such a small amount of money for this bike thing that even if that money went in the F1 program it wouldn't influence the car at all.

Edited by Joseki, 12 December 2018 - 15:59.

#1583 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 16:09

So Mclaren will sponsor a cycling team apparently. At least they dont need an engine supplier for that!

McLaren literally doing everything to keep Alonso happy  :p

#1584 Owen

Owen

• 12,641 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:55

Tyre choices for Australia made today. Sea freight nearly ready for despatch. It never stops!

#1585 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,008 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 18:19

If you say so.

#1586 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,514 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 18:46

Well, Williams did beat Mclaren in the WCC 4 out of the past 5 years. You could say last year they may have hit rock bottom as well, and built a really crap chassis compared to what they produced early on in the hybrid era. Anyway, just sayin. 

But with the resources Mclaren have, they should produce a better chassis than Williams as long as they don't blow it, and Renault comes to the table with a solid/competitive PU.