* * * * - 2 votes

2020 Formula 1 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
6307 replies to this topic

#3101 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,684 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:04

The question of a Ferrari move for Lewis is interesting. How would Ferrari feel about Michael's records being (i) equalled and (ii) beaten, given how much he is loved. Would it be something to be celebrated, considering all the circumstances? I wonder about Mercedes too, in terms of whether supplanting Michael at the top of the record books is something they really want. How would it go down in Germany? In both cases, would they prefer to turn the page and start a new phase with another driver? 

In this, I think there is a big distinction between joining Michael on 7 titles and beating him with 8. 

I think either Ferrari or Mercedes would feel a whole lot better about Michael's records being broken in one of their own cars rather than an opponent's car.

Advertisement

#3102 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:09

Why would he with Kvyat and Albon being succesful right now? Unless Kvyat gets the promotion to Red Bull and Gasly is ditched completely of course (instead of being demoted to Toro Rosso).

Or, i could see Kvyat possible going towards Haas.

Can be he's just on a one year deal without obligations both sides.

#3103 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,684 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:12

I never said they were of Alonsoā€™s level did I? But they are definitely good enough for F1, they have greater long term potential than Alonso at nearly 40. I rather see new guys get into the sport, just as Alonso did in 2001.

Just-turned-38 = 'nearly 40' now. Got it.

When a grid includes 'good enough for F1' guys like Giovinazzi, Gasly (in a top seat no less), Grosjean, and others I won't mention so as not to create a furor ... it most definitely could benefit from the presence of a driver the likes of Alonso in a top seat. Argument to the contrary is just silly.

You'd rather see new guys in the sport. Fair enough. Most of us would just like to see the best guys in the sport.

Oh, and btw Rossi's not walking through that door. He's re-signed with Andretti.

Edited by AustinF1, 05 August 2019 - 18:18.

#3104 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,691 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:12

Ghiotto makes no sense to me.  I get they have no one right now (Red Bull program I mean) but they don't need anyone right now (from Junior program I mean).  They need to swallow their pride and hire externally into Red Bull Racing for next year, Albon isn't ready and will get the same treatment as Gasly if he's put next to Vewrstappen, and Kyvat isn't seeing Albon off enough to be what Red Bull really need either.

They have some good drivers a couple of years away (Juri Vips, and after that Liam Lawson) so worth at least seeing how they are both doing in a years time, then they will know how their mid term junior squad are doing.

#3105 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:18

Ghiotto to STR sounds to me like Italian website being wishful thinking about Italian driver. Although Ghiotto is a pretty good driver.

Would be more in character for them to just promote immediately Vips next year straight from F3.

Alternatively, they could relegate Gasly swapping him with Kvyat; or not even need a Toro Rosso driver change at all if they sack Gasly completely and hire a Max team-mate from somewhere else in the grid.

#3106 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:35

that Italian Formulapassion site that has featured a couple of times in this topic now claims that Helmut Marko is looking at Luca Ghiotto for a potential Toro Rosso seat:

https://www.formulap...tto-449281.html

That would be an admittedly hilarious case of failing upwards.

#3107 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:40

Ghiotto to STR sounds to me like Italian website being wishful thinking about Italian driver. Although Ghiotto is a pretty good driver.

Would be more in character for them to just promote immediately Vips next year straight from F3.

Alternatively, they could relegate Gasly swapping him with Kvyat; or not even need a Toro Rosso driver change at all if they sack Gasly completely and hire a Max team-mate from somewhere else in the grid.

Point with extern, it would be for multiple years you would assume. And by that, what signal gives it towards the "junior" drivers? Albon instantly knows/thinks, "also with 2 or 3 good STR seasons, i likely won't get promoted, are there other good seats available?"

Gasly only has very few races left to impress Marko/Horner, but i suspect it's already to late. He will end season, but what is there to gain for Red Bull to place him in STR again? Is it likely he will recover, or just like Kvyat needs off (f1) track season before, or if ever coming back towards F1? And even if he recovers in STR, how likely is it he when needed then will perform in mean team? For Gasly you would hope he at least kept a seat, but with at least not under performing STR drivers and need new generation securing by having the valuable selling point "fast intern promotion possible" i can see Gasly dropped all together now and promoting Kvyat and rookie besides Albon in STR. While Albon isn't underperforming in comparison Kvyat, i think Red Bull is by that also rather what more protected of him and Kvyat has the easy to sell reasoning "proven podium driver" to justify his promotion above Albon.

#3108 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:53

Mick needs to dominate a very weak F2 field next year, then he will drive for Alfa in 2021.

Indeed. There's no point joining next year when 2021 will be a big reset for everyone.

#3109 djparky

djparky

• 2,003 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:58

Is there any chance that Colton Herta gets to drive at F1 in the future?

The kid seems to be talented enough, I'd bet Zak Brown would like to sign him at some point, and not only for IndyCar racing.

Yes he is very talented...but in F1 you can only win one of two cars...he's unlikely to end up in either of those...give up race winning potential to hope for 7th???

#3110 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 20:31

Ocon is going back to Brackley for no specific reason tonight....

#3111 PedroR

PedroR

• 200 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 21:06

https://youtu.be/T6cvIc2ZcPI

#3112 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 21:09

Surely he is involved in all post race factory debriefs? Plus teams get this week to work before they shut down for 2 weeks, so it's a busy week for development.

Edited by Nathan, 05 August 2019 - 21:10.

#3113 loki

loki

• 12,293 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 22:24

Thanks for the comedy. Alonso has more value in 1 season than they do combined.

Yet no one wants to hire him...

#3114 efuloni

efuloni

• 768 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 22:39

If Marko wants to hire someone from F2, wouldnt make more sense to get SetteCamara back? He is ahead of Ghiotto in standings, is former RedBull and younger.

#3115 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 23:11

Isn't he tied McLaren?

#3116 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:06

Yet no one wants to hire him...

I'm not sure that there is no one that wants to hire Alonso, I just think there is a great deal of complication in a signing of that magnitude. Teams have to consider salary, their own development programs, the feelings of their current #1, etc.. It's not easy managing an F1 team.

#3117 efuloni

efuloni

• 768 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:40

Isn't he tied McLaren?

Although he is, I dont think is so tied to the point that he would turn down another offer. Its probably just for this year or has a small fine, since he doesnt even drive in FP.
He could make a step up with McLaren next year, though, with some FP's, hoping Sainz or Lando get something better and leave a spot for 2021.

#3118 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,684 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:01

Isn't he tied McLaren?

Although he is, I dont think is so tied to the point that he would turn down another offer. Its probably just for this year or has a small fine, since he doesnt even drive in FP.
He could make a step up with McLaren next year, though, with some FP's, hoping Sainz or Lando get something better and leave a spot for 2021.

Brown says Alonso's free to drive for another team but that he remains part of the team as an ambassador and for possible future projects. 

Edited by AustinF1, 06 August 2019 - 02:03.

#3119 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:44

Hamilton is always preaching he wants to fight against the best and he is not scared of anyone, what better way to win his seventh title than fighting against Alonso. He should campaign for Alonso to get Bottas seat and put his money where his mouth is.

Advertisement

#3120 loki

loki

• 12,293 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:47

Maybe he's a big fan of The Greyhound Inn...

#3121 loki

loki

• 12,293 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:53

Hamilton is always preaching he wants to fight against the best and he is not scared of anyone, what better way to win his seventh title than fighting against Alonso. He should campaign for Alonso to get Bottas seat and put his money where his mouth is.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport exist to win constructors championships.  The WDC is gravy. 

#3122 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:48

Haha, nice try.

#3123 speedx

speedx

• 424 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:44

Red Bull could take Alonso till end of the season. They can then see how it works and if it is OK, they can give him 2020 drive.

If they really need points, Alonso is at the moment the only one who is free and capable of doing that.

I know it is just wishful thinking, but I like sparks...

#3124 andrea303

andrea303

• 404 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:51

As much as I want this to happen, they aren't gonna throw both Ocon and Bottas under the bus.

#3125 JG

JG

• 569 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:59

Why would Honda want Alonso in Red Bull? I donā€™t think itā€™s going to happen.

#3126 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:05

Why would Honda want Alonso in Red Bull? I donā€™t think itā€™s going to happen.

Because they want to beat Ferrari in the constructors' 

#3127 Pumpkinz

Pumpkinz

• 345 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:21

Good luck telling either Max or Fernando they are the Nr. 2. Driver from now on.

#3128 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:42

Obviously Alonso is one of the best ever and would still be fast if he came back to F1; but it's so long since he was racing a top car in F1, plus 8 months out already, that if he did join Red Bull (Honda relationship aside) he would get eaten alive by Verstappen. Not quite in the same way Gasly is, because his own mental strength would prevent that, but it would be a mauling something similar to Hamilton / Bottas nonetheless.

#3129 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:49

Felipe Massa is rumored to be on the Red Bull shortlist

see what I did there? What's going on with mentioning drivers that are out of F1? Every single page someone needs to bring up a certain driver that nobody at the top teams want, need or even consider. Except for a couple of fans on this forum.

Can we stick to some real stuff from articles/journos instead of whatever poster X dreams about?

#3130 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,920 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:49

Itā€™s said that Alonsos reps have been in touch with RedBull to tell them heā€™s available for next year. Marko told the press ā€˜for Honda, Alonso is unacceptableā€™ so itā€™s not going to happen.

#3131 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:53

Hamilton is always preaching he wants to fight against the best and he is not scared of anyone, what better way to win his seventh title than fighting against Max. He should campaign for Max to get Bottas seat and put his money where his mouth is.

Fixed that for you.

#3132 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:54

Red Bull could take Alonso till end of the season. They can then see how it works and if it is OK, they can give him 2020 drive.

If they really need points, Alonso is at the moment the only one who is free and capable of doing that.

I know it is just wishful thinking, but I like sparks...

I think rb/honda is playing the long term game. That rules out alo.

#3133 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:57

Fixed that for you.

Works for me :up:

#3134 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:04

Is there anyone who has a list of drivers and how many superlicence points they have? so we can atleast limit discussions to those that qualify? Especially for RedBull they seem to like drivers that just come short too often. In the past I knew some sites had such list but can't find them nowadays.

#3135 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:26

Is there anyone who has a list of drivers and how many superlicence points they have? so we can atleast limit discussions to those that qualify? Especially for RedBull they seem to like drivers that just come short too often. In the past I knew some sites had such list but can't find them nowadays.

I'll find the list for you, but it's never definite because of all the movements in different championships.

As for Red Bull, if they can't fall back on a junior for their teams they can always take their reserve driver (Buemi) or some guys with (former) RB ties like Vergne just like they did with Hartley. Nobody saw that coming.

They never really have to go outside their own family for drivers.

Here the list of SL points, you would have to discard the 2015 results and add the 2018 results to get an updated list:

https://docs.google....OX5Q/edit#gid=0

Edited by statman, 06 August 2019 - 10:32.

#3136 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:39

Works for me :up:

šŸ‘šŸ˜‰

#3137 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:44

Itā€™s said that Alonsos reps have been in touch with RedBull to tell them heā€™s available for next year. Marko told the press ā€˜for Honda, Alonso is unacceptableā€™ so itā€™s not going to happen.

Maybe the are scared their chosen one will get beaten by Alonso?

#3138 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:48

still talking about Alonso..

giphy.gif

#3139 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:49

Perhaps it's 'Team Verstappen' that are scared? Given Max is the clear number 1 and holds sway in that team...

Easy to blame it on Honda isn't it.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 06 August 2019 - 10:50.

Advertisement

#3140 JBJ

JBJ

• 1,116 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:20

still talking about Alonso..

giphy.gif

why not ?, he hasn't retired

#3141 Laminar

Laminar

• 216 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:48

Obviously Alonso is one of the best ever and would still be fast if he came back to F1; but it's so long since he was racing a top car in F1, plus 8 months out already, that if he did join Red Bull (Honda relationship aside) he would get eaten alive by Verstappen. Not quite in the same way Gasly is, because his own mental strength would prevent that, but it would be a mauling something similar to Hamilton / Bottas nonetheless.

I wasn't aware that Verstappen was already one of the best drivers of all time? How quickly people forget..

#3142 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:01

But... what about his emails?

#3143 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:08

why not ?, he hasn't retired

In fairness, very few drivers have the luxury of retiring from F1. He wouldnā€™t even be the first world champion to be left without a drive.

#3144 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:09

The top teams have moved on from Alonso. He is not coming back.

#3145 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:19

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport exist to win constructors championships.  The WDC is gravy. 

No, Sochi 2018, if team title was first priority by far they would not have risked missing the other driver for the rest of the season.

#3146 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 13:47

Alonso for sure wouldn't want to get in a car mid season, so atleast that is out. And to start next to Max with his experience. I doubt it would be healthy relationship in the team. Look at what happened when he was against Lewis, and Lewis was a rookie back then. Alonso is a very good driver, amongst the best but Lewis for sure is much better now than in his early years, and Verstappen is on the same level. I don't think Alonso can do that level and consistency that they can still do. He will be an upgrade over gasly and he will beat Verstappen from time to time, but that would only hurt the team because that would probably hinder them from getting at least a WDC. If they don't build a WCC car that means the number 1 driver needs to be the one always collecting most of the points. I don't they want that. They want a driver who can keep up with the Ferrari's/Mercedes on a good day so that they can play with the tactics and steal points from the other teams. If Alonso would be able to beat Verstappen constantly that would also be fine. But honestly I don't think Alonso can beat Verstappen over a year. Alonso of roughly 10 years ago might be able to, but not Alonso of 2019/2020, not without dirty games at the expense of the team.

#3147 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 16:07

Alonso hasn't been out of F1 long enough to be the guy who wants to help form the next generation the way Schumacher wanted to for 2010. To be honest, I don't think he's really the type to do it anyway since I'm pretty sure Sainz would have enjoyed driving with him. The Alonso fans want to see him in a competitive car but Merc don't want to upset Lewis, Ferrari have their future set on Leclerc and Red Bull knows he wouldn't accept being number 2 to Max so he's not really an option for them either. There's just no room for his ego in a front running car at the moment and he won't return for anything else so why do people keep bringing him up?

#3148 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,224 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 17:10

Maybe because we want him back and still believe he could come back... if not 2020 then in 2021 maybe?

#3149 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,684 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 17:13

Maybe because we want him back and still believe he could come back... if not 2020 then in 2021 maybe?

2021 actually makes more sense. I could see him doing a year in IndyCar if McLaren is able to get a deal together and makes a good enough pitch to him after the 2019 fiasco... and then coming back to F1 in 2021 when everyone is having to adjust to a new car.

There were reports of SPM folks being guests of McLaren in Hungary, so who knows.

#3150 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 17:20

I think Alonso realised nothing compares to F1. People like to **** on the sport, but other series can only dream about the attention, sponsors and money invested in the sport. There is just nothing like it and most other racing series are nothing more than a local party instead of global.

I would like to see him back, maybe McLaren if they become the old top team McLaren again.

Edited by SonGoku, 06 August 2019 - 17:21.