* * * * - 2 votes

2020 Formula 1 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
5137 replies to this topic

#5101 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,572 posts

Posted Today, 08:54

I’m thinking exactly the same thing. If he has a cheeky grin on his face and he’s ‘not worried’ about next year at this GP weekend, it’ll mean he has a decent seat lined up.

Well, Alonso also had a cheeky grin on his face, wasnt worried and said that everything is working according to the plan, and he still ended up with McLaren-Honda.

Though it could be that Hulkenberg has in reality a no-risk here: Maybe he has Alfa lined up in case Ferrari/Red Bull remain unchanged?

Advertisement

#5102 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,793 posts

Posted Today, 08:56

Fair play to Hulk for turning down Haas.

Is this your speculation or fact?.

#5103 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 12,079 posts

Posted Today, 09:02

Hulks options are Alfa and Williams, but for me it looks more likely that he will not get a race seat in F1.

#5104 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,402 posts

Posted Today, 09:02

There are two question marks which will develop over the next few races:

• How Albon fares against Max, this weekend will probably be the first direct comparison we see (no engine penalties for either etc). 
  • Vettels performance from now to the end of the season. 

There is a very real chance that a seat opens up at one, also a strong chance that nothing happens. But It is worth the gamble.

If it fails, the CV is too strong to not get a strong seat in DTM, FE or WEC

#5105 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,514 posts

Posted Today, 09:03

The driver with 10 podiums won over the driver with 0 podiums.

Joke aside, Grosjean is one lucky sob.

#5106 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,402 posts

Posted Today, 09:04

Hulk could be getting vibes from Wili Weber that Vettel is moving on

#5107 derstatic

derstatic

• 501 posts

Posted Today, 09:05

Interesting news. Could be lots of reasons. Maybe Hulk priced himself out of the picture. Maybe he knows something and has a better option lined up in F1. Maybe it's not F1 at all costs and he couldn't motivate himself for another stint in a midfield team (with less money same work) and he'll be happy to do something else. I suspect he'll be in demand in WEC or DTM for example. 

#5108 danmills

danmills

• 1,194 posts

Posted Today, 09:12

Prediction: Hulk to replace Vettel for 2020, or held at Alfa for a year in Ferrari branded stables ready for the 2021 merry-go-round. 

In the event Ferrari don't get Verstappen or Hamilton for 2021, they need a wingman for Leclerc. Ricciardo might still be flapping at Renault, having Hulk in a halfway house makes an easy plan B.

Edited by danmills, Today, 09:14.

#5109 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,572 posts

Posted Today, 09:13

Hulks options are Alfa and Williams, but for me it looks more likely that he will not get a race seat in F1.

I think Williams is pretty impossible

• even less salary
  • he needs to even bring money there
  • Latifi is lined up
  • worst seat
  • and he has expressed not too long ago that he is still salty about them not renewing his contract back then

It makes no sense for both sides. The only party who probably would have interest is Mercedes/Russell because then he would have a good benchmark to test if he is good enough for the Merc seat.

It's only Alfa unless Red Bull/Ferrari need a 2nd driver. The only obstacle there is Ferrari having dibs on the Gio cockpit.

Edited by Marklar, Today, 09:14.

#5110 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,673 posts

Posted Today, 09:20

Interesting news. Could be lots of reasons. Maybe Hulk priced himself out of the picture. Maybe he knows something and has a better option lined up in F1. Maybe it's not F1 at all costs and he couldn't motivate himself for another stint in a midfield team (with less money same work) and he'll be happy to do something else. I suspect he'll be in demand in WEC or DTM for example. 

Why doesn't Hulkenberg go race in Indycar?  It's a lot of fun!

#5111 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,402 posts

Posted Today, 09:20

But hasnt Gio signed for next season?

Unless it is Raikkonen who is calling it quits at the end of this season

#5112 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,405 posts

Posted Today, 09:21

Wasn't it told Gio has an Alfa-offer for next year? It would only leave RB or Ferrari if there is a mix up like Vettel to RB and a spot opening up at Ferrari.

Regarding Haas:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I want to hear no complaints about their drivers whatsoever from their brass anymore.

#5113 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 829 posts

Posted Today, 09:34

Wehrlein? Vandoorne? Come on, neither is any better than Grosjean and a Wehrelein/KMag duo is asking for fireworks. Buemi has been out of F1 too long, unfortunately we can say the same about Vergne too. Rossi....Haas has passed up more than one opportunity so we must assume they have their reasons. The only other name I see that might have been a possibility is Sirotkin. 

#5114 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,492 posts

Posted Today, 09:35

Either he's moving away from F1 or being lined up as a future #2 at Ferrari (via Alfa perhaps). Nothing else makes sense tbh.

#5115 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 109 posts

Posted Today, 09:52

Hulk could be getting vibes from Wili Weber that Vettel is moving on

Nico got rid of Weber years ago. 

It will be Alfa or retirement.

#5116 Anja

Anja

• 4,149 posts

Posted Today, 09:56

Not to be overly mean but I look forward to seeing Gunther's reactions every time Grosjean crashes from now on. 

#5117 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 463 posts

Posted Today, 09:58

Haas just can't afford Hulk.

#5118 player1s

player1s

• 257 posts

Posted Today, 10:43

Haas just can't afford Hulk.

If they feel Hulk would be the missing piece to move forward I'm sure Gene would be willing to foot the bill. So its more a mater of not willing to pay his demanded wage.

#5119 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,411 posts

Posted Today, 10:54

Gio can't possibly have an OFFER from Alfa. He would either have a deal or nothing (yet).

Advertisement

#5120 statman

statman

• 4,717 posts

Posted Today, 11:55

Ferrari backs Giovinazzi as Hulkenberg is linked with Alfa

https://www.autospor...nberg-alfa-link

#5121 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,961 posts

Posted Today, 12:14

Kubica tipped to announced his departures of Williams today.

https://www.eurospor...416/story.shtml

#5122 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,991 posts

Posted Today, 12:16

Kubica tipped to announced his departures of Williams today.

https://www.eurospor...416/story.shtml

Not surprising...! 

#5123 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,673 posts

Posted Today, 12:18

If they feel Hulk would be the missing piece to move forward I'm sure Gene would be willing to foot the bill. So its more a mater of not willing to pay his demanded wage.

If Hulk expects $10m salary like he received from Renault, this demand is too much...  Haas are happy to hire affordable drivers (less than $3m?) only.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, Today, 12:19.

#5124 dissident

dissident

• 82 posts

Posted Today, 12:20

Nico is 32, at this point moving to another midfield team doesn't make a lot of sense, might as well hold on for the slim chance of a top seat.

#5125 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,572 posts

Posted Today, 12:36

Kubica officially out of Williams for 2020 too

#5126 statman

statman

• 4,717 posts

Posted Today, 12:53

https://www.sportsmo...rce_370840.html

And Charrel Jalving, a well-connected motorsport marketing expert, has reported from Monza that the Latifi deal for 2020 is now done.

"Another great bag of money for Williams to continue to survive," he said.

Indeed, 24-year-old Latifi's father Michael is a billionaire and McLaren co-owner.

Latifi is already Williams' reserve and Friday driver, and he looks on course to qualify for his F1 Super Licence for 2020 by doing well in Formula 2.

"At the end of the summer, we'll know where he is," Michael Latifi said in June.

:up:

#5127 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,572 posts

Posted Today, 13:03

So it looks like:

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton – Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari: Charles Leclerc – Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull-Honda: Max Verstappen – Alex Albon (?)
McLaren-Renault: Carlos Sainz – Lando Norris
Renault: Daniel Ricciardo – Esteban Ocon
Toro Rosso-Honda: Daniil Kvyat (?) – Pierre Gasly (?)
Racing Point-Mercedes: Sergio Pérez – Lance Stroll
Alfa Romeo-Ferrari: Kimi Räikkönen – Antonio Giovinazzi (?)
Haas-Ferrari: Kevin Magnussen – Romain Grosjean
Williams-Mercedes: George Russell – Nicholas Latifi (?)

#5128 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,332 posts

Posted Today, 13:25

So it looks like:

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton – Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari: Charles Leclerc – Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull-Honda: Max Verstappen – Alex Albon (?)
McLaren-Renault: Carlos Sainz – Lando Norris
Renault: Daniel Ricciardo – Esteban Ocon
Toro Rosso-Honda: Daniil Kvyat (?) – Pierre Gasly (?)
Racing Point-Mercedes: Sergio Pérez – Lance Stroll
Alfa Romeo-Ferrari: Kimi Räikkönen – Antonio Giovinazzi (?)
Haas-Ferrari: Kevin Magnussen – Romain Grosjean
Williams-Mercedes: George Russell – Nicholas Latifi (?)

Pretty strong grid.

#5129 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,062 posts

Posted Today, 13:36

Kubica out just confirmed.

#5130 Beri

Beri

• 1,487 posts

Posted Today, 14:09

:up:

Deal to be announced in Abu Dhabi then? At Abu Dhabi it will be clear if Latifi finished high enough to bag enough SL points for the seat.

Kubica out just confirmed.

Youre about an hour too late ;)

Kubica officially out of Williams for 2020 too

#5131 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,062 posts

Posted Today, 14:14

Youre about an hour too late ;)

Yes didnt see that

Totally expected. Now the fair thing would be to put someone like Wehrlein in the seat, but they will put a paydriver instead, someone like Latifi

#5132 Montie

Montie

• 1,186 posts

Posted Today, 14:17

I am surprised at the Haas decision....not because Grosjean is struggling this year but because of this.....
We know that the Haas team as a whole hasn't figured out the 2019 tyres. Surely the drivers must take some responsibility....if either were a good development driver they'd figure out how to make the car make the tyres work better. Every other team seems to have figured it out, except the Kubica side of Williams. I'd have thought Hulkenberg is a decent enough development driver.....but...maybe Haas did make a play for him and he's holding out for Vettel leaving Ferrari? That would seem to be a big gamble but Nico may have had enough of being in the midfield.

As for Haas, when the car works both KMag and Romain are decent performers....but nobody has managed to get their 2019 car working consistently. That's down once again to needing a decent development driver. Both men can only hope that the 2020 car is more consistent out of the box. If it's not...then 2020 will be a looong season again.

If we assume Hulk didn't make himself available to Haas, and we know Ocon is no longer available....there is some sort of logic in Haas retaining Grosjean over a rookie.

You don’t know how development of a race car works, do you?

#5133 Anderis

Anderis

• 3,947 posts

Posted Today, 14:17

I wonder what would happen if Latifi has a run of bad results in F2 and therefore doesn't manage to have enough SL points by the end of the year.

#5134 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,339 posts

Posted Today, 14:25

I wonder what would happen if Latifi has a run of bad results in F2 and therefore doesn't manage to have enough SL points by the end of the year.

Then he wont be driving. No slack was given to a Red Bull driver who was a few points off.

#5135 sopa

sopa

• 12,067 posts

Posted Today, 14:42

Would have liked to see Hulk instead of Grosjean in Haas. Disappointed. So basically Hulk is hoping for a Red Bull miracle or he is out of F1? Oh dear. Wouldn't have thought Grosjean has greater longevity in F1 than Hulk...

#5136 sopa

sopa

• 12,067 posts

Posted Today, 14:50

Joke aside, Grosjean is one lucky sob.

Grosjean is the new Massa. Somehow keeps hanging around forever.  :p

#5137 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,427 posts

Posted Today, 15:02

Or maybe they don't see him as the missing piece.

#5138 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,572 posts

Posted Today, 15:19

Sirotkin?

Actually I wonder if this new 10 points for 10 Friday practice sessions rule will apply retrospectively. Could end up saving him in that case?