* * * * - 2 votes

2020 Formula 1 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
6212 replies to this topic

#151 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,424 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 21:22

Personally I don't see much happening. Kubica, and Sirotkin are likely gone. Gasly, Magnussen, and Grosjean are in need of strong seasons to hold their current drives.

Mercedes: Hamilton/Bottas
Ferrari: Leclerc/Vettel
Red Bull: Gasly/Verstappen
Renault: Ricciardo/Hulkenberg
McLaren: Norris/Sainz
Williams: Russell/Ocon
Racing Point: Stroll/Perez
Haas: Newgarden/Magnussen or Grosjean
Sauber: Raikkonen/Giovinazzi
Toro Rosso: Albon/ Ghiotto

:wave:

Sirotkin is already gone, he went last year. 

Advertisement

#152 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,816 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 22:33

Max will make a decision for 2021, problem is, all the big guns are a free agent that year and we have new regulation changes again, so picking the right team will be difficult again.

#153 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,528 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:31

If the rest of the grid retired he'd still finish 2nd. He's rubbish.

He does have a podium. Does that mean all those who have never reached that level are less than rubbish?

#154 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,345 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:10

Verstappen-Ocon as Mercedes team-mates? I think not...

Nor me, but possibly for different reasons. I understand from an F1 insider that Ocon is the one young gun that Verstappen really fears. Goes back, in particular, to their 2014 F3 rivalry.

#155 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,773 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:31

If it's to be believed, apparantly the Verstappens feared Max heading into 'Team Hamilton' prior to him inking his new Red Bull deal.

Seems they'll do whatever it takes to keep Max away from a potential situation that may backfire. Lets be honest, things are pretty cushy for him at Red Bull and he effectively gave up the chance to fight for the World Championship at Mercedes when they approached him, prior to Red Bull locking him down.

I can't see him at Mercedes or Ferrari now, unless he is the centre of attention with an average teammate as company. You can certainly write off Ferrari right now with Leclerc there, Mercedes with Ocon there after Lewis possibly retires? Nah I can't see it either.

I wonder how much influence Jos has had over all this tbh and whether it's actually healthy for Max's career.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 06 April 2019 - 12:46.

#156 Piif

Piif

• 1,341 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:11

Another possibility is to take Kubica's place at Williams if Kubica is to replace Vettel.

What is this I don't even.

:o  :lol:  :rotfl:

#157 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,773 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:19

Yeah I was going to point that out... but that sort of delusion just needs to be left alone tbh 😂

#158 sopa

sopa

• 12,185 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:27

Based on the start of the season Bottas' chances of retaining Mercedes' seat have increased. He had allegedly some kind of a performance clause, but now he is leading the championship! Well, let's see, how he can keep it up. But with Bottas in title fight surely Merc' would be hard-pressed to replace him. And it would be the same story again as each year - gets his contract-extension in mid-season, falls off in form.  :p

#159 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:37

Based on the start of the season Bottas' chances of retaining Mercedes' seat have increased. He had allegedly some kind of a performance clause, but now he is leading the championship! Well, let's see, how he can keep it up. But with Bottas in title fight surely Merc' would be hard-pressed to replace him. And it would be the same story again as each year - gets his contract-extension in mid-season, falls off in form.  :p

And keep Ocon in the garage watching the race with Wolff ?

Advertisement

#160 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 601 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:41

If Ocon doesn’t get the Mercedes seat, he had better hope that Ricciardo starts to blow the Hulk out of the water, because frankly, I can’t see any other landing spots for him. Racing Point seems unlikely, Williams is just plain unattractrive, and McLaren seem committed to their current duo. It would be a massive shame if he got left behind again because he’s probably better than all of the Red Bull drivers that aren’t called Verstappen.

#161 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,816 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:58

Wolff likes Bottas very much, because he is/was (the way you look at it) basically his manager. If he keeps this up, no way Mercedes is going to replace him. 

#162 Anja

Anja

• 4,329 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:04

It's still too early to tell. Yes he was really good in Melbourne but in Bahrain he was right back to his 2018 averageness. We have to see which of these will continue. 

#163 noriaki

noriaki

• 1,224 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:32

:o :lol: :rotfl:

Yeah I am a RK fan but there is absolutely 0% chance whatsoever that he will drive a Ferrari next season. It will be a positive if he performs well enough to stay on grid.

#164 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:43

:o  :lol:  :rotfl:

I said it's a huge stretch, but who will Ferrari take to shoulder Leclerc if Vettel takes off ?

#165 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,773 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:54

They can take their pick of whoever they fancy. Kubica wouldn't even be on that list. I admire your loyalty but it isn't 2010.

#166 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,769 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:55

If Ocon doesn’t get the Mercedes seat, he had better hope that Ricciardo starts to blow the Hulk out of the water, because frankly, I can’t see any other landing spots for him. Racing Point seems unlikely, Williams is just plain unattractrive, and McLaren seem committed to their current duo. It would be a massive shame if he got left behind again because he’s probably better than all of the Red Bull drivers that aren’t called Verstappen.

Didn’t Ocon also state he’s done with F1 if he can’t make a return to the grid in 2020? He didn’t want to be on the sidelines for two seasons.

#167 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,026 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 16:12

I said it's a huge stretch, but who will Ferrari take to shoulder Leclerc if Vettel takes off ?

Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Perez, Bottas, Magnussen, Sainz, depending on contracts and availability?

#168 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 16:27

Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Perez, Bottas, Magnussen, Sainz, depending on contracts and availability?

From that list I can only think Hulk ... if he manages to beat or be on the same level as Ric this season. Others are not good enough and Ric just signed up with Renault, being already overlooked by Ferrari for this year. Honestly I don't see any obvious candidate at this moment

#169 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:06

Wolff likes Bottas very much, because he is/was (the way you look at it) basically his manager. If he keeps this up, no way Mercedes is going to replace him. 

Why replace someone capable of leading the world championship 2 races running?

#170 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 601 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:16

Didn’t Ocon also state he’s done with F1 if he can’t make a return to the grid in 2020? He didn’t want to be on the sidelines for two seasons.

He might’ve. And it would be a reasonable course of action. Obviously I hope it doesn’t come to that, though. I remember that his was a name that came up in relation to the vacant SPM seat in IndyCar that Ericsson eventually got. And they weren’t the only ones interested. I think he could do very well there, or he could be one of the highest-profile additions to FE we have so far seen. Let’s just say that he wouldn’t stay out of work for long.

#171 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:21

<snip>  It would be a massive shame if he got left behind again because he’s probably better than all of the Red Bull drivers that aren’t called Verstappen.

F1 does not owe any driver a seat.  It's up to the driver to position themselves either talent wise or moneywise or both. Simples.

#172 aray

aray

• 4,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:25

F1 does not owe any driver a seat.  It's up to the driver to position themselves either talent wise or moneywise or both. Simples.

You forgot about the 'luck' part.

#173 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,093 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:32

From that list I can only think Hulk ... if he manages to beat or be on the same level as Ric this season. Others are not good enough and Ric just signed up with Renault, being already overlooked by Ferrari for this year. Honestly I don't see any obvious candidate at this moment

But yet the very person who you pick Hulk was beaten 2 years in a row by Perez who you say is not good enough and Bottas has been part of the  2 X WCC team and that's not good enough to be a number 2 in Ferrari? But you say Kubica should replace Vettel   :confused:

Edited by Sunnny, 06 April 2019 - 17:32.

#174 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,816 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:34

Well, some guys can't help themselves. Wehrlein refused to turn down an engine when he is beached live on radio, had a bad attitude = gone. Ocon hasn't really helped himself with his battle against Perez, where crashing was almost quaranteed at some point. Not needed when you are fighting for a championship against a stronger and stronger Ferrari.

Edited by SonGoku, 06 April 2019 - 17:34.

#175 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 17:56

But yet the very person who you pick Hulk was beaten 2 years in a row by Perez who you say is not good enough and Bottas has been part of the  2 X WCC team and that's not good enough to be a number 2 in Ferrari? But you say Kubica should replace Vettel   :confused:

You are right, I could only pick Hulk IF he beats Ric, which I'd consider he improved as a driver. Do I think he will beat Ric on points ? no. So it was a conditional offer.

As to Kubica, I think he'll surprise later. Can't expect from the guy to be on top of his game right away after 8 years not sitting in a single seater. Additionally he's got a problem with the downforce on the rear comparing to Russell's car. Williams drivers are instructed not to use kerbs, so the true picture will emerge later. Let's just say that Russell is looked at as Mercedes answer to Leclerc after Lewis retires, so IF Kubica beats him, why should Ferrari not consider hiring him ?

Edited by tghik, 06 April 2019 - 18:15.

#176 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 21:51

^....Ferrari hire Kubica? Wake up from your dream mate! :eek:

#177 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,832 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 21:58

^....Ferrari hire Kubica? Wake up from your dream mate! :eek:

They offered him a contract a few months ago... as a simulator driver.

:cool:

#178 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,026 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 00:06

All firmly ahead of Kubica in the list. Unless he starts doing some pretty incredible miracles with that piece of **** Williams, which realistically seems unlikely to happen. Even if he vastly outpaces Russell (and so far it seems it's been more like the other way around) it's not really gonna prove much as Russell is promising but an unknown quantity.

Back to Ferrari, if there's no good enough driver available, then you take the best of the not good enough drivers. See an history of hiring people like Eddie Irvine, Mika Salo and Giancarlo Fisichella as it was the best they could get in the circumstances. Mind you, I'm not so sure they're gonna need to hire a driver any time soon! Leclerc is super young and Vettel still has 7 or 8 years ahead of him if he wants to. We need to see how does the situation at Ferrari stabilize because if Leclerc proves consistently quicker, then Vettel's actually a really really good #2 driver to have. Perhaps a bit expensive for a #2 but that's not an unprecedented situation in F1 and Ferrari can afford it. There's many different scenarios I can see panning out, and there's only 2 of them in which they'll need a driver:

a) if Leclerc vs Vettel is too close to call and it generates too much of an internal war that is unsustainable. Any close fight between 2 team-mates with the world championship at stake causes friction, but I don't see it reaching the "we must pick a driver and sack the other one" stage with these 2, the personalities don't seem abrasive enough, I think it will be challenging for Ferrari but manageable.

or b) if Vettel is beaten and can't take it and decides to leave on his own. Now this is more likely to happen as it already happened once in his career (moved out of Red Bull as soon as Ricciardo outpaced him), but where does he go to? Back to Red Bull seems likeliest as Red Bull would be delighted to take him, but does he really want to face Max Verstappen? Facing Lewis at Mercedes? Even worse. Facing Ricciardo at Renault? Uncompetitive car and a team-mate that already beat him? **** no. The rest of the grid the best he could get would be a McLaren or something. So every single out option looks bad, why not just stick to Ferrari? Unless he flat out retires. Does he really want to retire already at the end of the season at an age of 32? Every driver when they're young they say they don't want to spend that long in F1, but then most of them do, if they have the chance. See Alonso dragging himself in the midfield for ages or Kimi even further.

So my guess for the Ferrari lineup for 2020 and even maybe 2021 and beyond is, Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel.

Edited by noikeee, 07 April 2019 - 00:09.

#179 Piif

Piif

• 1,341 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:55

Would be thrilling to see him spearhead Mercedes' FE assault tbh.

Advertisement

#180 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:16

Back to Ferrari, if there's no good enough driver available, then you take the best of the not good enough drivers. See an history of hiring people like Eddie Irvine, Mika Salo and Giancarlo Fisichella as it was the best they could get in the circumstances. Mind you, I'm not so sure they're gonna need to hire a driver any time soon! Leclerc is super young and Vettel still has 7 or 8 years ahead of him if he wants to. We need to see how does the situation at Ferrari stabilize because if Leclerc proves consistently quicker, then Vettel's actually a really really good #2 driver to have. Perhaps a bit expensive for a #2 but that's not an unprecedented situation in F1 and Ferrari can afford it. There's many different scenarios I can see panning out, and there's only 2 of them in which they'll need a driver:

a) if Leclerc vs Vettel is too close to call and it generates too much of an internal war that is unsustainable. Any close fight between 2 team-mates with the world championship at stake causes friction, but I don't see it reaching the "we must pick a driver and sack the other one" stage with these 2, the personalities don't seem abrasive enough, I think it will be challenging for Ferrari but manageable.

or b) if Vettel is beaten and can't take it and decides to leave on his own. Now this is more likely to happen as it already happened once in his career (moved out of Red Bull as soon as Ricciardo outpaced him), but where does he go to? Back to Red Bull seems likeliest as Red Bull would be delighted to take him, but does he really want to face Max Verstappen? Facing Lewis at Mercedes? Even worse. Facing Ricciardo at Renault? Uncompetitive car and a team-mate that already beat him? **** no. The rest of the grid the best he could get would be a McLaren or something. So every single out option looks bad, why not just stick to Ferrari? Unless he flat out retires. Does he really want to retire already at the end of the season at an age of 32? Every driver when they're young they say they don't want to spend that long in F1, but then most of them do, if they have the chance. See Alonso dragging himself in the midfield for ages or Kimi even further.

So my guess for the Ferrari lineup for 2020 and even maybe 2021 and beyond is, Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel.

All good thinking however I disagree with the conclusion. Unless Vettel beats Leclerc there is no reason to keep Vettel. First Ferrari is the team where TO is their modus operandi, it would look ridiculous to pay Vettel double salary and have him as number 2. Second, Vettel is not a team player. Third he will not accept to be number 2. Fourth tifosi will be nasty to Vettel. There is one argument though that would make me think maybe they'll continue together, that Ferrari is known to make stupid mistakes with their line-up.

#181 Anja

Anja

• 4,329 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:26

Vettel has a contract until the end of 2020, right? I don't really see Ferrari breaking it, if Seb leaves after 2019 it will be by his own decision I think. 

#182 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 601 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:53

F1 does not owe any driver a seat. It's up to the driver to position themselves either talent wise or moneywise or both. Simples.

Oh look, it‘s that tired argument again. Of course F1 is not a pure meritocracy, it never has been. That does not preclude me from pointing out the possibility of permanently losing one of the brighter talents we‘ve had in the past decade or so because of inter-team politics and a supreme amount of bad luck.

Well, some guys can't help themselves. [...] Ocon hasn't really helped himself with his battle against Perez, where crashing was almost quaranteed at some point. Not needed when you are fighting for a championship against a stronger and stronger Ferrari.

I‘m fairly certain that Ocon wasn‘t exactly to blame for the majority of those incidents, the only viable case being Baku 2017, and the others falling firmly in the realm of racing incidents or Perez’s poor judgement and/or spatial awareness. Other than that, Ocon has generally proven himself to be quite sensible in fighting other cars, Baku & Mexico 2018 and the infamous clash with Verstappen (where both were somewhat to blame) notwithstanding. Heck, Verstappen himself is already a veteran of F1 and may still be relied upon to produce at least half a dozen cringeworthy moments per season.

(Also, that persistent Wehrlein story was recently denied by the man himself, but that‘s rather beside the point.)

In any case, to return back to the topic at hand, according to my calculations Dan Ticktum would have to finish in the Top 5 in Super Formula to be eligible for a full super license in 2020. Does anyone who is more familiar with the series know how realistic that is at the moment, based on the strength of preseason testing times or his team?

#183 Anja

Anja

• 4,329 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:57

In any case, to return back to the topic at hand, according to my calculations Dan Ticktum would have to finish in the Top 5 in Super Formula to be eligible for a full super license in 2020. Does anyone who is more familiar with the series know how realistic that is at the moment, based on the strength of preseason testing times or his team?

I didn't follow the testing but he's in a very good team, in the last two years they finished second in the team standings and Gasly almost won the title with them. I'd say it's pretty much up to Ticktum to deliver. 

Edited by Anja, 07 April 2019 - 10:00.

#184 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 456 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:24

With Leclerc's success at Ferrari (if it continues) and Williams not giving Russell a competitive car, I'm beginning to believe Ocon might be third in the list of candidates for the 2020 seat. 

#185 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:32

Vettel has a contract until the end of 2020, right?

Yes he does, and he recently noted he wants to see how F1 changes in 2021 before he commits to FOM's new vision.

#186 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,816 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:53

Wouldn't surprise me if all the older guys want to give it a go again in 2021, a big change in the whole sport for different reasons, something different than the usual same regs...

#187 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,026 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 13:50

Wouldn't surprise me if all the older guys want to give it a go again in 2021, a big change in the whole sport for different reasons, something different than the usual same regs...

Yeah it's a bit of a reset button, so there's always the chance things can go your way even if you're in a team that's just a little short of competitive enough, or if you're getting slightly outperformed and reason in your mind that it's because the car doesn't suit you.

If you're a top F1 driver. At least that's how I imagine they think, I've never been one top F1 driver to know.

#188 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 14:01

I suppose it can go both ways. On the one hand, there's that allure. On the other, it's as good a time as any to wrap things up.

Age isn't everything - as Schumacher... occasionally... demonstrated - but Vettel and Hamilton are starting to look positively ancient compared to Verstappen, Leclerc and others making their way up the grid. Plus F1 could do with some fresh faces getting top billing.

It also depends a bit on how other contracts shake out. If there's one of the young guys on offer for 2021, the big teams might think twice about offering another extension to these elder statesmen. Especially if said younger driver can bring a long-term offer from another team into the negotiations.

#189 sopa

sopa

• 12,185 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 14:01

I can see Vettel retiring from F1 altogether at tender age of 33, which he would be by the end of 2020. But of course I can't call it for sure and I don't see into his mind on that matter. There are almost 2 years left till the end of his current contract, with plenty of options, how the intra-team dynamics play out. And Vettel has still ample time to make up his mind, what would he like to do in the future. 

#190 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 14:11

I can see Vettel retiring from F1 altogether at tender age of 33, which he would be by the end of 2020.

Absolutely. Age is just one metric, after all. That Vettel would wrap it up 'early'  is to be expected. He has a ton of ' youngest ever'  records in F1, and is often in the top 3 for some other prominent ones. He's been at this for a while, already!

As of now Vettel has done 221 races, the 12th most in all of F1 history. Add some more until the end of 2020 and he'll be at 260 or so; jumping him to roughly 7th. That's a long F1 career; same for Hamilton, of course, who has already been around a bit longer than Vettel.

Edited by Nonesuch, 07 April 2019 - 14:12.

#191 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,832 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 15:30

Vettel is 31, he is a 4 time World Champion, there is absolutely no scenario I see under which he leave the next 6 years. Ferrari or no Ferrari he will stick around.

#192 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 15:59

Vettel is 31, he is a 4 time World Champion, there is absolutely no scenario I see under which he leave the next 6 years. Ferrari or no Ferrari he will stick around.

Vettel is weaker psychologically, if he hits trouble wall for some extended period he will bail out faster than other drivers.

Edited by tghik, 07 April 2019 - 15:59.

#193 Piif

Piif

• 1,341 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 16:24

If he starts being constantly beaten by Leclerc, I don't think he'd be that interested in continuing after his current contract ends.

#194 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,045 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 16:33

What's to stop him doing a Rosberg?

#195 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,769 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 16:54

I believe Vettel has already stated multiple times he won’t be around as long as a Raikkonen or Alonso has been. If Leclerc beats him this year and the year after, I can see hem retiring after 2020.

#196 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,832 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 17:06

What's to stop him doing a Rosberg?

Apples and oranges.... If he were to be the lessor of the Ferrari drivers this season, he has a contract for next, and he does not want his legacy being one who shied away from another driver after one season.

My personal opinion is that he will leave at the earliest 6 years from, unless he wins a World Championship before then, in which case I can see him walk away as the reigning WDC.

#197 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 898 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 19:57

Vettel could decide to go, especially if Leclerc beats him convincingly....but Kubica taking his seat? As much as I like RK, I think that is far fetched. If Ferrari were to find they required a driver all of a sudden for 2020 they'd be able to pick anyone who isn't driving a Mercedes in 2020 and who isn't called Max Verstappen. Let's face it, Ferrari have the money to break any contract if they really want. Hulk, Ricciardo, Giovinazzi, recall Kimi, perhaps Ocon or Perez. All those would be ahead of Kubica. RK's hope is that he does well enough to retain the Williams seat...and that Williams produce a markedly better car so he can show us what he still has.

If we assume Russell is good, then RK is doing fine especially with the cars being so moody. 

#198 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 601 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 21:24

Here’s a worrying thought that came to me a couple of days ago, very much unbidden: After Russell had jumped Norris in my “Promising British F1 Hopefuls” table with his F2 title last year, I can’t help but wonder whether Williams might ruin his career momentum going forward. Yes, he’s apparently pledged himself to the team in the medium term, but if they continue to plod around at the back (which is what they will most likely be doing for the foreseeable future) I don’t really see much chance for him to prove himself and ideally move up the order. Maybe SPRP will be looking at him when the time finally comes to replace Perez… but that wouldn’t happen before 2021, if he and Lance Stroll don’t go all Perez/Ocon on each other.

#199 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,528 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 15:55

Apples and oranges.... If he were to be the lessor of the Ferrari drivers this season, he has a contract for next, and he does not want his legacy being one who shied away from another driver after one season.

My personal opinion is that he will leave at the earliest 6 years from, unless he wins a World Championship before then, in which case I can see him walk away as the reigning WDC.

I think retirement by Vettel will be determined as much by off track factors, as on track performance. Seb's not one to share his family life with the world, so it is hard to determine just how much this will influence his decision. Four WDC's is quite the accomplishment, he may simply decide it is enough.

Advertisement

#200 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 776 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:49

Nor me, but possibly for different reasons. I understand from an F1 insider that Ocon is the one young gun that Verstappen really fears. Goes back, in particular, to their 2014 F3 rivalry.

Ocon lost fair and square to a paydriver the last 2 seasons Max shouldn’t be afraid.