- - - - -

2020 Formula 1 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#201 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 603 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:54

From that list I can only think Hulk ... if he manages to beat or be on the same level as Ric this season. Others are not good enough and Ric just signed up with Renault, being already overlooked by Ferrari for this year. Honestly I don't see any obvious candidate at this moment

One of the “others that are not good enough” beated Hulk over the three seasons together, two years straight ended ahead in the wdc, scored more points, outraced and lets not forget that “other not that good” did 4 podiums in the same car that hulk chocked and failed to do any podium at all.

Advertisement

#202 sopa

sopa

• 11,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 16:16

They can take their pick of whoever they fancy. Kubica wouldn't even be on that list. I admire your loyalty but it isn't 2010.

I agree that Kubica-to-Ferrari sounds like someone getting stuck in a time machine.

And even if we assume the unlikely event of Kubica somehow reaching his prime form in the second half of 2019 and beating Russell, that's still not enough for Ferrari to hire him, let alone above Vettel. For starters Vettel is younger than Kubica, hence has more long-term perspective. And despite all the recent galore of mistakes Vettel has proven everything with championships. Kubica hasn't proven a thing especially in his comeback, even if he outraces Russell to take P19.

Naah. Pointless to argue about it. Realistically Kubica will be fortunate to be on the grid next year and it will be dependent on Orlen being prepared to pay big bucks on a back-end-of-the-field seat.

#203 tghik

tghik

• 2,253 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 19:00

I agree that Kubica-to-Ferrari sounds like someone getting stuck in a time machine.

And even if we assume the unlikely event of Kubica somehow reaching his prime form in the second half of 2019 and beating Russell, that's still not enough for Ferrari to hire him, let alone above Vettel. For starters Vettel is younger than Kubica, hence has more long-term perspective. And despite all the recent galore of mistakes Vettel has proven everything with championships.

The question is not about Kubica or any other driver but rather how Vettel will function as a humiliated number 2, after big pay cut ? He doesn't possess psychological traits to deal with such a turn of events.

He also has proven that he is not on Hamilton's level, wha's worse after losing to Leclerc it will be a proof 2014 was no fluke year, and that he only managed to win with BD cars.

The best possible outcome for Seb would be if Ferrari believes his explanations which I'm sure he will find at the end of this season. If he is lucky, Ferrari will make another mistake and continue to pay him big bucks while trusting 2019 as another offf year and that he will bounce back in 2020. Or if Ferrari wins WDC with Leclerc, bathed in glory they will just allow him to ride it off next season.

#204 sopa

sopa

• 11,517 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:24

The question is not about Kubica or any other driver but rather how Vettel will function as a humiliated number 2, after big pay cut ? He doesn't possess psychological traits to deal with such a turn of events.

He also has proven that he is not on Hamilton's level, wha's worse after losing to Leclerc it will be a proof 2014 was no fluke year, and that he only managed to win with BD cars.

The best possible outcome for Seb would be if Ferrari believes his explanations which I'm sure he will find at the end of this season. If he is lucky, Ferrari will make another mistake and continue to pay him big bucks while trusting 2019 as another offf year and that he will bounce back in 2020. Or if Ferrari wins WDC with Leclerc, bathed in glory they will just allow him to ride it off next season.

It depends on what the contract between Vettel and Ferrari looks like. For what we know, Vettel has a contract till the end of 2020. Some suggest that there might be a performance clause, which makes 2020 optional. Not sure about that though.

However, if Vettel has a firm contract till the end of 2020, nothing is going to change and Ferrari is not going to pay out his big retainer just to get rid of him. Even if he disappoints. Kimi Raikkonen disappointed and Ferrari paid him out for 2010, but only because they had an obvious replacement lined up - Alonso in his prime. Without him Kimi would have stayed till the end of 2010 on his big retainer despite disappointing. Vettel doesn't have an obvious replacement lined up to replace him. Unless Max has a performance clause and really-really-really wants to go to Ferrari next year and Ferrari wants to pair him with their own young gun.

#205 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 126 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:24

Is it out of the realm of possibility that if Vettel were to say "sod it" and walk away, for Perez to drop in his place? An ex Ferrari academy driver, knows the team to a degree even if it's changed since he was there, and has proven to be a dependable solid driver over the course of a season.

I mean it's unlikely Vettel is going anywhere until the end of 2020 anyway, but if we're talking about Kubica hopping into his seat somehow, I'm thinking Perez would be a much better shout, even if I'm in no way a fan of his. Beaten Hulk, beaten Merc's prodigal son Ocon, may well beat another ex Ferrari academy man in Stroll this year... once did Ferrari a favour by holding station by Alonso when he could've won... he'd be a good asset.

Truth is though, I see most teams remaining stable next year. The three drivers I foresee going are Grosjean :cry: Kvyat and Kubica. The Red Bull/Toro Rosso dynamic is a strange one, but I suspect Kvyat is a placeholder only until Ticktum has the SL points assuming he doesn't screw up. I foresee them giving Gasly next year too, and then seeing how Albon/Ticktum get on to replace him. Sucks for Kvyat, but I just think they're using drivers as placeholders at the moment until they get Ticktum for some reason.

Ferrari: Vettel/Leclerc

Mercedes: Hamilton/Bottas

Red Bull: Verstappen/Gasly

Renault: Hulkenberg/Ricciardo

McLaren: Sainz/Norris

Haas: Magnussen/???

Toro Rosso: Albon/Ticktum

Alfa: Kimi/Gio
Racing Dot: Perez/Stroll

Williams: Russel/???

#206 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:44

Gasly can't keep on driving 1 second behind Verstappen. I would expect a TR <> RB swap. Also Ticktum is way too hotheaded for F1, but they will bring him anyway I guess.

#207 balage06

balage06

• 906 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:22

Gasly can't keep on driving 1 second behind Verstappen. I would expect a TR <> RB swap. Also Ticktum is way too hotheaded for F1, but they will bring him anyway I guess.

If my calculations are right, Liam Lawson already has 27 Super Licence points (two 2nd places in F4 and this year's TRS champion), if he finishes in the top 3 in FIA F3 this year, he'll be eligible for a drive in the Toro Rosso as well.

(oh, and he will also take part in Euroformula Open, where further 10 points are up for grabs.)

Edited by balage06, 12 April 2019 - 13:15.

#208 statman

statman

• 3,940 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 13:58

https://it.motorspor...tratto/4373273/

Bottas wants to renew contract

​The Finn has no intention of waiting long before renewing the 2020 agreement with Toto Wolff: Valtteri has started the season in a positive way and wants to capitalize on this advantage to prevent Ocon from being promoted. And he wants to close before Monaco.

​ ​ ​In 2017 the renewal for the following season arrived on September 13th, twelve months after July 20th. Valtteri Bottas both is now used to sailing on sight, as the Mercedes has always granted him a contract extension of only one season having to wait all the time that Toto Wolff and the team's board considered appropriate to evaluate the various alternatives.

​ ​Obviously it is a question of driving for the World champion team, and the wait (though unnerving) is definitely a good investment, but over time Bottas would like to be able to aspire to greater peace of mind, an aspect that all pilots are aiming for, and that normally the top drivers get to get.

​ ​In fact Valtteri since he made his debut in a single-seater (it was 2007) has always had to win on the field the chance of having a contract also for the following season and, in the long run, there is a pilot starting to be tired (in August he will make thirty years) of a precarious situation.

​ ​Mercedes will hardly be able to extend the Bottas contract beyond 2020, but Valtteri hopes at least that the confirmation will arrive soon, let's say before Monte Carlo.

​ ​The excellent start of the 2019 World Championship is definitely a good calling card, and the Finn has already put him on Wolff's table to be able to stop the smash "confirmation yes-no no" ahead of time, which has accompanied his summers for years.

​ ​Then there is also another aspect, namely that this season Esteban Ocon is physically stationed in the garage, and the French are just waiting for a signal to hit the car.

​ ​It is not a simple situation for Bottas, but he is responding very well on the track, and it is not an easy situation to manage even for Wolff, above all because the weight that team games will have in this World Cup is not yet clear.

​ ​If the Mercedes will continue with the pace of the first three races of the year, the picture that will take shape will be very similar to 2016, or the title if the two riders of the World champion team will play with the non-paying adversaries.

But if the fight is confirmed more tightly, then internal cooperation will become crucial, and a disappointed Bottas would not be an added value for the team, be it in the guise of prey or those of hunter called to cover Hamilton's shoulders.

#209 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 14:14

1) I don’t see a single quote anywhere in that piece. Suspicious to say the least.

2) If Bottas continues to perform, he shan’t have to worry too much, right? Last I heard he had a performance clause, after all.

3) Even if the above article is somehow genuine, a contract extension before Monaco would be the height of stupidity, given how Bottas has tailed off in years past. You’d have to think Team Bottas would know better than to demand such a thing, and Toto would know better than to grant it. This is not MotoGP, after all.

#210 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 8,921 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 21:10

Vettel has a contract until the end of 2020, right? I don't really see Ferrari breaking it, if Seb leaves after 2019 it will be by his own decision I think. 

Maybe he can take a spin around his contract.

#211 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:10

Mercedes holds the cards, not Bottas. Weird article.

#212 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,857 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:23

He already said last year he "only" has to fulfill some conditions to still be there in 2020

#213 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,770 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:54

Bottas contract is 2 years: 1+1. 2019 + 2020. If checks the boxes that are on his contract, he will be automatically renewed. And everybody here will be surprised.

#214 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,770 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 16:53

Some fuel to the fire: a brazilian journalist mentioned today that in the italian press there are already discussions about Ricciardo replacing Vettel for 2020. 

#215 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 603 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 16:59

Some fuel to the fire: a brazilian journalist mentioned today that in the italian press there are already discussions about Ricciardo replacing Vettel for 2020.

Yes that sounds totally something Ferrari would do, replace a 4 times world champion with someone who lost to JEV, Kvyat, Max and probably Hulkenberg and whose biggest achievement in his whole career will be beating an unmotivated Vettel 5 years ago and a couple of wins with a Red Bull yawn.

#216 ch103

ch103

• 1,778 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 17:03

Please let this be the case.  

#217 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,159 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 17:05

Seems hard to believe.

- Ferrari have been quite clearly backing Vettel as a #1. Strange to imagine they're doing this whilst already plotting to abandon him as soon as next year.

- Whilst it makes most sense to plan the future around Leclerc, the Vettel v Leclerc situation hasn't settled yet, it's unclear whether Leclerc will really emerge as the stronger of the 2.

- Ricciardo's surely on a 2 year contract with Renault, at least. Unless there's special clauses, that's an expensive contract to get out of.

- Whilst Ricciardo outpaced Vettel in 2014, he's not really looked as quick in recent years, outpaced by Max last year and not super convincing against Hulkenberg yet, so I'm not so sure this is an upgrade. I think the evidence points more towards Vettel's 14 having been a bit of an off-year in terms of pace rather than decisive proof Dan is superior. However Dan does seem to make less driving mistakes and creates less conflict than Seb IMO, so there are some benefits, it's just that it's not so clear whether Ferrari really gets any overall net gain from such a change.

#218 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 244 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 17:18

...someone who lost to JEV, Kvyat, Max.

He also beat JEV, Kvat and Max if you do the cherry picking in the opposite direction to you.

#219 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 479 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 19:24

Lito? Flávio Gomes? Reginaldo? Care to share a link, please? Thank you.

Advertisement

#220 tghik

tghik

• 2,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 23:49

I am constantly asking myself how long Ferrari will cover for Vettel. If Charles is already at Seb speed, being so young and new to the team, it seems it will be even more difficult as time goes by. Will they use TOs at every race ? How stupid Binotto will look at the en of this season ?

#221 Anuity

Anuity

• 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 23:53

Bottas will stay at Mercedes, there's no way an unproven driver without having driven for a year is going to replace him.

Ricciardo has put himself in a very difficult situation. He is tied to Reanault, where at the moment Hulkenberg looks just as good. Why would Ferrari or Mercedes need an aging driver, who has recently been looking a bit worse compared to his teammates.

Ferrari does not need him. They have 4 times champion and a rising star. Case closed really.

#222 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,634 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 23:55

3) Even if the above article is somehow genuine, a contract extension before Monaco would be the height of stupidity, given how Bottas has tailed off in years past. You’d have to think Team Bottas would know better than to demand such a thing, and Toto would know better than to grant it. This is not MotoGP, after all.

I agree with the Bottas fading theory, and it would make zero sense for Team Bottas to wait for that to play out.  It completely logical for Bottas to want a new deal by Monaco, or even tomorrow night. Why would he want to wait?

#223 ch103

ch103

• 1,778 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 23:55

I am constantly asking myself how long Ferrari will cover for Vettel. If Charles is already at Seb speed, being so young and new to the team, it seems it will be even more difficult as time goes by. Will they use TOs at every race ? How stupid Binotto will look at the en of this season ?

We all knew Vettel needed preferential treatment to realize his potential.  Hell, at Silverstone one year they took Webber's front wing because the team felt that it was superior.  

#224 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,770 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:33

Lito? Flávio Gomes? Reginaldo? Care to share a link, please? Thank you.

It is on Instagram + Youtube. It is a lady that goes to every race. Jump to 6:40. She mentions this is on the Italian press.

https://www.youtube....h?v=4oO62NzdZx0

Edited by rodlamas, Yesterday, 02:50.

#225 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,770 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:35

Bottas will stay at Mercedes, there's no way an unproven driver without having driven for a year is going to replace him.

Ricciardo has put himself in a very difficult situation. He is tied to Reanault, where at the moment Hulkenberg looks just as good. Why would Ferrari or Mercedes need an aging driver, who has recently been looking a bit worse compared to his teammates.

Ferrari does not need him. They have 4 times champion and a rising star. Case closed really.

I really think Sebastian might retire if he has a crap season and is soundly beaten by Leclerc, Hamiton, Bottas and Max.

#226 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,316 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:25

He won't look stupid at all if Vettel benefits from the team orders and wins the WDC - then he will look like a genius. 

I agree with the Bottas fading theory, and it would make zero sense for Team Bottas to wait for that to play out.  It completely logical for Bottas to want a new deal by Monaco, or even tomorrow night. Why would he want to wait?

I agree any employee would rather the job security of having their contract renewed earlier rather than later but I very much doubt, with the financial distribution post 2021 still being negotiated by Liberty, that Bottas is in a position to get a long term deal. In fact there are only a few elite drivers who may be in that fortunate position.

#227 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:47

It is on Instagram + Youtube. It is a lady that goes to every race. Jump to 6:40. She mentions this is on the Italian press.

Thanks.

#228 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:59

We all knew Vettel needed preferential treatment to realize his potential.  Hell, at Silverstone one year they took Webber's front wing because the team felt that it was superior.  

Vettel damaged his one, Webber felt no difference between the old and new one. So they swapped them. Logical from team point of view.

Why would a Brazilian report about Italian press? They could have picked up Ricciardo for next to nothing last year and didn't, long before the had used the Leclrerc option.

#229 tghik

tghik

• 2,253 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:32

He won't look stupid at all if Vettel benefits from the team orders and wins the WDC - then he will look like a genius. 

Will he ?

An even if he does and it turns out it was Leclerc the better driver ? At this moment it should be CL leading on points if not for TOs. Ferrari already look bad, it can get even uglier. Wrong approach, nothing to do with with sport, being fair, and also backing the wrong horse imo.

#230 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,770 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:55

Why would a Brazilian report about Italian press? They could have picked up Ricciardo for next to nothing last year and didn't, long before the had used the Leclrerc option.

She is speaking to her own public and by going to every race she is well relationed and so she can provide that kind of info.

And why Ricciardo wasnt brought in instead of Leclerc? Simple: Vettel vetoed. But now the team is thinking about taking Vettel out.

#231 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,159 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:57

Super early predictions:

Mercedes - Hamilton/Bottas
On current form there is no way this changes, of course Bottas has plunged in performance the last 2 years as the season goes on so keep an eye on that, but it's unclear what Mercedes benefits from appointing Ocon as it stands.

Ferrari - Vettel/Leclerc
This is already getting uncomfortable, but it's a strong pairing Ferrari will want to keep taking advantage of, if it doesn't blow up.

Red Bull - Verstappen/Albon
The only change I expect on the top teams, Gasly's performance will get him out of the car for sure unless it dramatically improves, and quite incredibly Albon seems to be on pole position for a promotion now. I don't think they'll go for a mid-season change again though, they'll wait for the end of 2019. There's the odd chance Red Bull could hire from outside STR, but with Albon looking promising I think they'll keep true to their tradition.

Renault - Ricciardo/Hulkenberg
No reason to change for anyone, very strong pairing for the team and neither driver has real options to move up from this.

McLaren - Sainz/Norris
Also no reason to change and no better options for either driver.

Racing Point - Stroll/Russell
Stroll's a given, Perez will not want to leave as he'll want to benefit from the investment put into the team which should only start translating into results next year, BUT there's no other place Mercedes can really put Russell to test him.

Haas - Magnussen/Perez
Haas has been very loyal to the current pair of drivers, but with the likes of Perez and potentially even Ocon in the market, it might be time to gamble getting rid of Romain to see if it results in an upgrade.

Toro Rosso - Kvyat/Ticktum
This is a tricky one because I think any combination of Kvyat, Gasly, Ticktum, Vips or even Auer is possible, and that's already under the big assumption Albon gets the promotion. I reckon this is the likeliest combo tho, proven measuring stick (which I suspect brings some cash) agains the erratic, temperamental, but ultimately most promising quick kid. Would be very harsh on Gasly to completely drop out of the grid though.

Alfa Romeo - Raikkonen/Ghiotto
Kimi's on a 2 year deal, the problem is the other seat, Gio's been very disappointing tbh, and I seriously doubt Mick's ready for the step-up. Bringing in another Italian who I expect will do well in F2 this year, might be a logical stop-gap.

Williams - Latifi/Sette Camara
I expect Williams to completely plunge into the paydriver route 100%, as Kubica seems unhappy and not performing, whilst Mercedes will want a more meaningful test of Russell's capabilities. Latifi's already within the team, whereas there's always pressure for F1 to get a Brazilian into the grid as that's a big market - perhaps Sette Camara or Fittipaldi the grandson could aim at this final seat?

#232 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,398 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:33

Gasly out of F1? Highly unlikely. IF Red Bull decide to replace Gasly, surely they won’t make the same mistake of promoting a youngster too early for a third time.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, Yesterday, 11:34.

#233 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:34

Mercedes doesn't hold that much power over Racing Point. Perez is there to stay. I really wonder if Verstappen has team performance clauses if the team is 3rd all year with Gasly trailing somewhere 1s/lap behind.

#234 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,159 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:48

Mercedes doesn't hold that much power over Racing Point. Perez is there to stay. 

Depends how much they're willing to pay.

#235 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:56

Not much or Ocon would be in a Williams for instance. 

#236 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,270 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:42

Racing Point - Stroll/Russell
Stroll's a given, Perez will not want to leave as he'll want to benefit from the investment put into the team which should only start translating into results next year, BUT there's no other place Mercedes can really put Russell to test him.

Williams - Latifi/Sette Camara
I expect Williams to completely plunge into the paydriver route 100%, as Kubica seems unhappy and not performing, whilst Mercedes will want a more meaningful test of Russell's capabilities. Latifi's already within the team, whereas there's always pressure for F1 to get a Brazilian into the grid as that's a big market - perhaps Sette Camara or Fittipaldi the grandson could aim at this final seat?

Remember that Russell wasn't placed at Williams by Mercedes. He went and got himself the deal.

#237 sopa

sopa

• 11,517 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:50

Racing Point would be hard-pressed to get rid of Perez due to performance and sponsorship reasons. They kept him over Ocon. The only viable option I see if Perez himself wants to move to Haas. But it depends on car performances. If RP has the measure of Haas this season, then Stroll is also an easier team-mate to Perez than Magnussen, making him the idea of staying quite likable I'd imagine.

Is Mercedes desperate to pay big bucks for Russell to move him up the field? They weren't prepared to pay big money for Ocon last year. Surely Mercedes would like to see Russell in a better car, just like they would like to see Ocon in F1, but are they prepared to move mountains for that? Not convinced based on what we have seen thus far.

Williams could indeed take a random paydriver in place of Kubica for the second seat though. Not so much dependent on how well Kubica performs, as the Latifi/Camara group is unlikely to be world-beaters. But it's about sponsorship and who can outbid who. Orlen may get a bit disillusioned of paying big bucks for the back-end-of-the-field seat and the euphoria and thus marketing drive of Kubica's comeback will have died out a little as well.

However, on top of all, I can see Ocon in Haas. If Mercedes can't find him a seat for 2020 either, then surely he must have some kind of a get-out-clause? And Haas can easily fancy replacing the older Frenchman with a younger and more consistent one.

Not sure Ghiotto is more talented or with greater potential than Giovinazzi, who had a promising junior career. If Ferrari promotes somebody into Sauber, it may well be Schumacher Jr due to marketing reasons... But let's see, how the F2 season unfolds. Gio and Gasly may be written off a tad too early in terms of keeping their seats yet, though. It's not like there are replacements with stunning potential lined up.

#238 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 14,879 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:55

She is speaking to her own public and by going to every race she is well relationed and so she can provide that kind of info.

And why Ricciardo wasnt brought in instead of Leclerc? Simple: Vettel vetoed. But now the team is thinking about taking Vettel out.

Sure. In addition to being an F1 driver, Vettel is also the President of Ferrari, CEO of Fiat-Chrysler and the man behind the New World Order.

Or as Ricciardo himself said:

“With what Ferrari have done, I see it and I respect that because I’ve seen Red Bull do it, bringing the young kids through the programme. In a way, I think it’s about time. I guess the Mercedes one is probably a bit of a different situation."

https://www.gpfans.c...-mercedes-move/

#239 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:43

Racing Point would be hard-pressed to get rid of Perez due to performance and sponsorship reasons. They kept him over Ocon. The only viable option I see if Perez himself wants to move to Haas. But it depends on car performances. If RP has the measure of Haas this season, then Stroll is also an easier team-mate to Perez than Magnussen, making him the idea of staying quite likable I'd imagine.

Is Mercedes desperate to pay big bucks for Russell to move him up the field? They weren't prepared to pay big money for Ocon last year. Surely Mercedes would like to see Russell in a better car, just like they would like to see Ocon in F1, but are they prepared to move mountains for that? Not convinced based on what we have seen thus far.

Williams could indeed take a random paydriver in place of Kubica for the second seat though. Not so much dependent on how well Kubica performs, as the Latifi/Camara group is unlikely to be world-beaters. But it's about sponsorship and who can outbid who. Orlen may get a bit disillusioned of paying big bucks for the back-end-of-the-field seat and the euphoria and thus marketing drive of Kubica's comeback will have died out a little as well.

However, on top of all, I can see Ocon in Haas. If Mercedes can't find him a seat for 2020 either, then surely he must have some kind of a get-out-clause? And Haas can easily fancy replacing the older Frenchman with a younger and more consistent one.

Not sure Ghiotto is more talented or with greater potential than Giovinazzi, who had a promising junior career. If Ferrari promotes somebody into Sauber, it may well be Schumacher Jr due to marketing reasons... But let's see, how the F2 season unfolds. Gio and Gasly may be written off a tad too early in terms of keeping their seats yet, though. It's not like there are replacements with stunning potential lined up.

Perez in an American based team would be more logical than Ocon though. Perez isn't tied to Mercedes like Ocon, who will bide his time for the no2 Merc seat. In the meantime he will be whispering to Lewis and Valterri how much fun they could have if they would have 21 race weekends freed up. ;)

Advertisement

#240 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 126 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:23

Perez to Haas would make a lot of sense to me, think he'd suit that team if he were to leave Force Point. Though I would genuinely prefer to see him go over to IndyCar. He's not appreciated in F1 and is just not going to reach the top, I think his style would be great in IndyCar and he would get greater support.

I'm starting to suspect we'll see the same pair at Toro Rosso next year. Kvyat is grateful to be racing, but isn't going anywhere, and I think they'll give Gasly another chance next year. And already get the feeling Ticktum is about to wash out in Super Formula, he's already moaning about it, think the pressure of being continually linked to Red Bull is going to be too much. But that's just my feelings.

#241 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,692 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:43

Is Mercedes desperate to pay big bucks for Russell to move him up the field? They weren't prepared to pay big money for Ocon last year. 

And they didn't for Wehrlein

#242 chrisj

chrisj

• 808 posts

Posted Today, 00:23

Not sure why Ferrari would want Ricciardo or why Renault would let him go. If Ferrari wants a good driver to replace Vettel, they just have to wait another year and pick one.

#243 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,271 posts

Posted Today, 00:55

Why are we talking this much about Vettel not being at Ferrari next year? I would place chance of that at less than 3%.

:cool:

#244 tghik

tghik

• 2,253 posts

Posted Today, 01:03

Let's say they continue to swap their positions the entire season and Seb still doesn't win, and next year I guess it would look stupid for Ferrari to employ super expensive driver and tell him to work as number 2 after admitting their stance was wrong in 2019. Similarly Vettel would be in a terrible place, losing to Lewis every single time but this time having an extraordinary support (never seen in F1 before) from the team and still not be on top. I would think Seb would resign himself

#245 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,280 posts

Posted Today, 09:02

Why are we talking this much about Vettel not being at Ferrari next year? I would place chance of that at less than 3%.

:cool:

You're mistaken his no-spin percentage with the staying one. ;)

#246 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,326 posts

Posted Today, 09:10

Remember that Russell wasn't placed at Williams by Mercedes. He went and got himself the deal.

That's all fine, but Mercedes still offered them a engine discount. Surely they wouldnt have done that if Russell got the deal all by himself, even if the latter is a nice story to sell.

And they didn't for Wehrlein

Mercedes generally has the policy to pay the budget just for two seasons, which is reasonable in my book, although a bit of a killer for good-but-not-so-great-drivers like Ocon/Wehrlein who simply dont impressed enough to get a contract without support in those two years.

Pretty sure that Mercedes will continue this line with Russell as well. Whether it's a 2nd season at Williams or at Force India is something we will see I guess.

His luck could be - besides perhaps more talent than the other two - that he could get a good timing with Hamilton retiring not so far in the distant future and Bottas always being a bit of a questionmark. Plus the fact that there is not really anyone else rn in the junior program pushing behind him.

Edited by Marklar, Today, 09:17.

#247 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,159 posts

Posted Today, 09:27

That's all fine, but Mercedes still offered them a engine discount. Surely they wouldnt have done that if Russell got the deal all by himself, even if the latter is a nice story to sell.

Mercedes generally has the policy to pay the budget just for two seasons, which is reasonable in my book, although a bit of a killer for good-but-not-so-great-drivers like Ocon/Wehrlein who simply dont impressed enough to get a contract without support in those two years.

Pretty sure that Mercedes will continue this line with Russell as well. Whether it's a 2nd season at Williams or at Force India is something we will see I guess.

His luck could be - besides perhaps more talent than the other two - that he could get a good timing with Hamilton retiring not so far in the distant future and Bottas always being a bit of a questionmark. Plus the fact that there is not really anyone else rn in the junior program pushing behind him.

Also, they cut Wehrlein off because they were already paying a seat for Ocon; and they cut Ocon off because they were alread paying a seat for Russell. In both cases it'd have meant having to pay for 2 seats.

In case of a theoretical upgrade to Russell from Williams to Racing Point, it's a different case - perhaps it'll be more expensive but they'd still pay for 1 seat not 2.