* * * * - 2 votes

2020 Formula 1 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
3817 replies to this topic

#3501 JacobRPP

JacobRPP

• 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:03

Lol, right.. Hulkenberg has an ego and he continuously makes mistakes. Yep. What universe are you from?

And it is fairly clear to any driver, going to Red Bull, that they will be second in line behind Verstappen.

Same as yours, but clearly you ignore the flaws of Hulkenberg.

Read my comment as whole, and take a walk around the build before you reply again.

Edited by JacobRPP, 13 August 2019 - 14:03.

Advertisement

#3502 JacobRPP

JacobRPP

• 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:09

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on hulk. But his ego certainly was never a problem. He's highly regarded for his professionalism and work ethics.

I'd like him to get a shot at rb personally.

So his ego did not confront Magnussen during an interview last year at Hungaruring regardless who was at fault for the incident?

Ego and professionalism and work ethics are not the same. I agree with you that he seems professionalism, but I cannot comment on his work ethics, as I have not seen him work with the team.

#3503 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:15

So his ego did not confront Magnussen during an interview last year at Hungaruring regardless who was at fault for the incident?

Ego and professionalism and work ethics are not the same. I agree with you that he seems professionalism, but I cannot comment on his work ethics, as I have not seen him work with the team.

Emotion / adrenaline more at work, perhaps?

#3504 JacobRPP

JacobRPP

• 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:18

Emotion / adrenaline more at work, perhaps?

Oh yeah, but also his ego IMO.

#3505 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,216 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:19

I do not see how it was ever open just a tiny bit for Hulkenberg. With Ricciardo showing him the door at Renault, why would RBR choose him, as they a sort of benchmark for him in Ricciardo. As for Alonso, he would never work at RBR, and they know it. As for the rest of the mid field, the only ones left with interest which RBR are able to poache without having to pay a massive compensation to their current team are Bottas (if he is out of Merc by the end of the year), Grosjean, Magnussen, Perez and Stoffel, and all of them would be good second drivers to Max. They all have qualities and disadvantages, but relevant F1 experience.

Actually Hulk would be a fairly solid choice since he's just that little bit weaker performance wise to not cause friction. And seriously, anyone would be pissed off if they put 3 years hauling in points for a team and the first year it's relatively close and not going your way against the guy that team just spent a fortune on, they can't support you equally and want to get rid of you for someone who ticks a nationality box. He's not mistake prone under pressure but he has a habit of making mistakes when he could have gotten lucky which is what everyone remembers.

#3506 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,694 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:28

The only example of questionable confrontational behaviour in a 10 years F1 career, and I'd have probably done the same.

Don't recall him ever causing any problems whatsoever at Force India in the periods Perez was outscoring or outperforming him. No idea why he'd be suddenly be an unsuitable #2 to Verstappen. Think he'd be great in that role personally.

#3507 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:33

Oh yeah, but also his ego IMO.

They all have an ego though.

I'd say Hulk's is milder than most.

#3508 Montie

Montie

• 1,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:54

Don't go into the Haas Thread with that attitude.
Blind Zen Driver and Montie will have you convinced that the #20 is the next Ayrton Senna...….. :drunk:

I dare you find any evidence to where we have ever said that.

People love to hate on Magnussen.

To sum up the Haas thread, when Magnussen does great it’s the down to the fourth fastest car, when he does bad it’s Magnussen being inconsistent. Still ignoring all public facts that the car is not performing. Then again, you and many others that visits the Haas thread just to bash the drivers will likely ignoring this paragraph anyway, so why even bother?

And please the Hulk cracks under pressure.

#3509 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:56

To sum up the Haas thread, when Magnussen does great it’s the down to the fourth fastest car, when he does bad it’s Magnussen being inconsistent. Still ignoring all public facts that the car is not performing. Then again, you and many others that visits the Haas thread just to bash the drivers will likely ignoring this paragraph anyway, so why even bother?

That argument appears in almost every team / driver thread.

#3510 Montie

Montie

• 1,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:12

That argument appears in almost every team / driver thread.

Not much as the Haas thread.

#3511 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,096 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:37

People are saying Haas has the 4th fastest car? Hmm ...

#3512 Montie

Montie

• 1,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:55

Yes go to the Haas thread.

#3513 Oho

Oho

• 9,772 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 18:13

Well it has been quite fast on occasion, though usually not for many laps in succession.... The thing seems really hungry for tires....

Edited by Oho, 13 August 2019 - 18:13.

#3514 PistolPete

PistolPete

• 981 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 19:33

Sometimes its lightning fast for a lap or two.. the rest of the times it's probably closer to a Williams. Must be super frustrating to drive. 

#3515 shure

shure

• 454 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 20:41

Sometimes its lightning fast for a lap or two.. the rest of the times it's probably closer to a Williams. Must be super frustrating to drive. 

Yes, underneath they seem to have a pretty quick car but it doesn't mean a thing when they can't get the tyres to work with it.  Frustrating indeed

#3516 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,096 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 21:27

Yes go to the Haas thread.

Heh. Nah. I'm good...

#3517 Beri

Beri

• 1,343 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:52

Same as yours, but clearly you ignore the flaws of Hulkenberg.

Read my comment as whole, and take a walk around the build before you reply again.

Well, I don't. Hulkenberg is a good driver and I rate him quite high. But I fail to see an "ego" at Hulkenberg. As well as the flaws you mention. No matter how objectively I look at it.

#3518 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:02

Looking at Romain Grosjean social feeds, i expect him to announce his retirement from f1 at Spa.

#3519 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:10

Looking at Romain Grosjean social feeds, i expect him to announce his retirement from f1 at Spa.

With a bang?

Advertisement

#3520 aray

aray

• 4,128 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:47

Not again. I will never forget Spa, 2012.....

Edited by aray, 14 August 2019 - 10:47.

#3521 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,694 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:07

Hmmm.. Yeah it might kind of have that vibe.. Think he'll "be retired" rather than voluntarily retire, though.

Bit of a shame, the guy had and has pace but could never quite get in the right mental place and stay there. Always sympathised with him and thought people were harsh on him, sure he's made mistakes over his career, caused some bad accidents, but he's always been like an unintentional goofy hazard, rather than a malicious driver - and sometimes he's treated as if he's the later which is unfair.

#3522 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 186 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 13:30

Hmmm.. Yeah it might kind of have that vibe.. Think he'll "be retired" rather than voluntarily retire, though.

Bit of a shame, the guy had and has pace but could never quite get in the right mental place and stay there. Always sympathised with him and thought people were harsh on him, sure he's made mistakes over his career, caused some bad accidents, but he's always been like an unintentional goofy hazard, rather than a malicious driver - and sometimes he's treated as if he's the later which is unfair.

I'd agree with that. He's a nice bloke, whines abit on the radio (nothing compared to Alonso mind).

#3523 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 13:33

He had a long tenure in F1... don't be sad.

#3524 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 13:46

At 35 he can still win Le Mans in 2021 with Aston Martin in a Adrian Newey designed car, AMR is sponsored by Total.

If i bet a few quids, i expect him to end up there.

#3525 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 13:47

He had a long tenure in F1... don't be sad.

Yes 10 podiums, a decade in F1, it is a good life in f1 despite being dumped a first time.

Hulkenberg is still raving about podiums in F1.

#3526 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,548 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 14:29

Anyway, I don't expect Grosjean to announce retirement. He may be left without seat, but that will happen without specific announcement.

#3527 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 14:44

Anyway, I don't expect Grosjean to announce retirement. He may be left without seat, but that will happen without specific announcement.

I feel this kind of tweets below are anticipating something.

https://twitter.com/...327781046837250

And i  also feel there is enough mutual respect between Haas and Grosjean to let him tell that he is gone at the end of the season.

#3528 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,096 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 16:31

Yeah, watching the Netflix series I felt a bit sorry for him. He clearly wants very badly to be better and do better. Sadly, it's just not there imho. Gunther slagging him off at the team dinner, when Romain wasn't there, seemed a bit harsh and classless imho. But who knows. In that show, we only see what the editors want us to see. They've painted a few people very harshly imho...

#3529 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,587 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:22

Grosjean is still president of the GPDA, so in some way must still be respected by his fellow drivers.

#3530 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,591 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:28

Grosjean is still president of the GPDA, so in some way must still be respected by his fellow drivers.

.... or taking up the job that no-one else wants, (thanks but no thanks....)

GPDA is not known for being united and unanimous all the time, at least it was not so in the past.

#3531 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 110 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 19:22

When Grosjean / Hulk were in f3 - I picked Romain up from the airport and took him to a kart race that was taking place for charity at Rye House. I remember his non-too-complimentary words re Nico at the time - arrogant, among others came out. Followed them both ever since...would love to see Nico get the RB drive...

#3532 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 19:43

^ For real?....Rye House, that armpit of the world! :D  We used to go banger racing there back in the day.....Cool story man. :up:

#3533 masa90

masa90

• 405 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:43

Wow. Feels just like yesterday that Romain was young talent and just a matter of time before he would iron out the small kinks and really breaktrough. Well, it never happened but atleast he made a good career.

Any idea who is lining up to replace him? In Finnish media I have not read anything about it.

#3534 warp

warp

• 1,140 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:52

Not again. I will never forget Spa, 2012.....

Neither Alonso, lol...

#3535 Beri

Beri

• 1,343 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:09

Wow. Feels just like yesterday that Romain was young talent and just a matter of time before he would iron out the small kinks and really breaktrough. Well, it never happened but atleast he made a good career.

Any idea who is lining up to replace him? In Finnish media I have not read anything about it.

Grosjean is like Massa and Barrichello. The cockroaches of Formula One. Better and younger drivers are available by the dozens, but they always would find a seat and stick around just a tad too long. No matter how bad they were before.

#3536 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,216 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:10

Neither Alonso, lol...

Considering the same thing happened to Hulk last year I'm pretty sure some evil engineer is putting a giant magnet in Alonsos car at Spa.

#3537 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,528 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:30

Let’s hope that Hulkenberg remembers to brake at first corner at Spa this year...

#3538 alainsfoot

alainsfoot

• 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:54

Sometimes they do, especially if they happen to debut in F1 at very young age. .

Vettel had a rather underwhelming debut with BMW thoroughly outclassed by Heidfeld and then he was being outqualified more often than not by Liuzzi in his first season. With assumption that drivers don't get faster, he certainly didn't look like someone who would later dominate Webber- a man who outqualified every other of his F1 team-mates IIRC.

Alguersuari in his first season was regularly 0.6-0.7 secs in Q behind Buemi but by the end of their F1 careers they were pretty evenly matched.

i would beg to differ re vetttel and webber. they were evenly matched until a certain type of blown diffuser was part of the car.  then he romped away from webber.  i dont believe he got any faster, he just had a car that worked for him and not for webber.

further evidenced when vettel was up against riccardo and now against leclerc, hes damned good when he has the car he needs, but not so much when he doesnt.  webber didnt magically become average, just as vettel didnt magically improve.  some cars suit some drivers better than others, its nuanced.

Edited by alainsfoot, 15 August 2019 - 08:21.

#3539 motohead

motohead

• 224 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:01

Let’s hope that Hulkenberg remembers to brake at first corner at Spa this year...

Lol

Advertisement

#3540 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,101 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:16

It’s fine. Alonso isn’t there to get in anyone’s way this year.

#3541 Anderis

Anderis

• 3,924 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:26

i would beg to differ re vetttel and webber. they were evenly matched until a certain type of blown diffuser was part of the car.  then he romped away from webber.  i dont believe he got any faster, he just had a car that worked for him and not for webber.

further evidenced when vettel was up against riccardo and now against leclerc, hes damned good when he has the car he needs, but not so much when he doesnt.  webber didnt magically become average, just as vettel didnt magically improve.  some cars suit some drivers better than others, its nuanced.

Vettel already outscored and outqualified Webber with a decent margin in 2009 so it was not all about blown diffuser. When you have two drivers in the same team for 5 seasons and it's 5:0 in both WDC standings and average qualifying position over the season, then you can't say one driver was ahead just because a car suited him. The notion that Vettel didn't get any faster between 2007 and 2009 is very hard to defend. It would mean that Liuzzi was very damn fast and Sutil, who comfortably outpaced him in the same car in 2010 must have been as good as anyone on the grid then. 

#3542 Frentzen99

Frentzen99

• 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 14:34

Ocon at Mercedes.

#3543 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 17:33

Is there any confirmation of this?

#3544 JBJ

JBJ

• 133 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 17:50

Is there any confirmation of this?

no

#3545 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:24

^ For real?....Rye House, that armpit of the world! :D  We used to go banger racing there back in the day.....Cool story man. :up:

It was an event called 'The Race Against Cancer' that two guys put together - on Club100 karts, with a pretty epic field. Javier Villa won from Sam Bird (had the likes of Alain Menu, Rob Huff et al also taking part, and slowest of all by a mile? Bradley Smith the Moto GP guy - lovely bloke, never had karted before!).

Yes - remember Romain having a bit of a temper and grabbing other drivers karts whilst on the straight etc haha! Plus, pointless fact - his was the first iphone I'd seen up close! Legend.

But, yes - it was his thoughts on Nico that I've always remembered. He was a pretty decent / funny bloke to be honest.

Anyway, back to the thread...

#3546 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 4,813 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:24

Red Bull wanted Fernando Alonso to replace Pierre Gasly before asking Alex Albon!

https://www.gpblog.c...lex-albon-.html

That was my suggestion: Put him in the car for half a season and see how it works for both sides. If it works, great, if not, get someone else... it would be risk-free, and with a virtual guarantee to get 2nd in the WCC. 

Edited by beachdrifter, 16 August 2019 - 19:25.

#3547 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:27

Risk free except of 99 % certaincy pissing off your star driver

#3548 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 4,813 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:40

Risk free except of 99 % certaincy pissing off your star driver

The same Max who claims he doesn't care who his teammate is? 

The reason it's risk-free is because if Max doesn't like getting beaten by Alonso, they don't sign Alonso for 2020.

#3549 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,400 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:44

Meh, sounds like this Spanish rag has been reading this forum.  There hasn't been any indication otherwise.

#3550 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 4,813 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:45

Meh, sounds like this Spanish rag has been reading this forum.  There hasn't been any indication otherwise.

What does the paper say why the "first choice" didn't materialize?