Photo

CZ Type 860

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 16:00

I realize that back when this was built, 500cc was a big bike for anything except V-twins but why did they, and the British KRM people dicker around with the 350cc class rather than simply go for 500cc which was the premier class.

Honda, MV, Benelli etc. had the money to dicker in multi-classes buy why would a limited budget not simply go for the big show?

CZ500-21.jpg

Advertisement

#2 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:06

If anyone ever finds out the vagaries of the British attempts at a 'World Beater' they'll be the first.

Weslake 500cc (was slower than my Hitac TD2 at a Snetterton test day),The Manx Lottery racer (never got off the back of several fag packets). The KRM (did get onto the tarmac but not much further). The four cylinder Norton.

I think the problem always came down to 'top management' ( :lol:) in the British motorcycle industry. Read anything concerning race development in the UK and it invariably comes down to apathetic and incompetent management.

Unfortunately for us in the UK it did not stop with the motorcycle industry. We still suffer the fools and pay them 'loadsa' money then if they are sacked because of their incompetence (infrequently happens) they get a big golden handshake and reappear like Jonah of some other board getting 'loadsa' money. :down:  :cry: 

#3 Ristin

Ristin

• 111 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:57

I realize that back when this was built, 500cc was a big bike for anything except V-twins but why did they, and the British KRM people dicker around with the 350cc class rather than simply go for 500cc which was the premier class.
Honda, MV, Benelli etc. had the money to dicker in multi-classes buy why would a limited budget not simply go for the big show?
CZ500-21.jpg

I don't know the definite answer, but 350 cc was just the "natural playground" for Czechoslovakian companies. They sold 350 cc roadbikes whereas the big capacities were reserved for russian motorcycle works.
And there was no premier class, just 6 equally matched classes. In those days the lower capacities got as much attention as the 500s and a lot of riders and manufacturers were happy to stay in their favorite capacity class(es) for the whole career.