- - - - -

Kmag - Leclerc crash Suzuka 2018 [split topic]

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#1 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:35

Today Magnussen had this accident with Leclerc on the main straight at Suzuka: https://streamable.com/gzrae
Mirrors shaking too much again?

Advertisement

#2 Stallknecht

Stallknecht

• 313 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:50

Today Magnussen had this accident with Leclerc on the main straight at Suzuka: https://streamable.com/gzrae
Mirrors shaking too much again?

Yeah. A real shame that LeClerc ruined Magnussens race. He got the move totally wrong. Rookie mistake.

#3 Frood

Frood

• 9,244 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:55

Reactive moves are killing racing and will kill someone someday if they aren’t stamped out.

#4 registered

registered

• 2,433 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:56

I don't know how Magnussen can keep doing these moves and the officials see no problem with them

#5 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:58

There's nothing about Magnussen that Alonso and Hulkenberg didn't say already.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:58

Didn't he do the same thing in Russia, only that time nobody hit him?

#7 Frood

Frood

• 9,244 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:01

Yes, he did it to Ocon. The Sainz one was similar but on the exit of the corner, but it could be argued Sainz shouldn’t have been there.

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:05

Sooner or later there will be huge crash with KMag involved. Huge like Kubica at Montreal 2007.

#9 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:06

There was also the incident with Gasly in Baku. Here's the thread about that incident, in which I originally posted the opening post: https://forums.autos...18-split-topic/

And this was practice with Leclerc in Barcelona in May:

Edit: ...for which he was given a reprimand by the stewards for a "potentially dangerous manouvre".

Edited by ANF, 07 October 2018 - 16:09.

#10 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,641 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:06

I don't know how Magnussen can keep doing these moves and the officials see no problem with them

There used to be a rule about no line direction changing under braking and no more than one defensive move on a straightaway, but the stewards do not enforce it.  Hence, they created a more dangerous Magnussen.

#11 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:08

https://streamable.com/0flhx
This one wasn’t bad IMO. They both moved at the same time and there was enough of a gap to Ocon.

On Leclerc though, it was clearly reactionary and Leclerc couldn’t avoid him.

#12 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:09

There used to be a rule about no line direction changing under braking and no more than one defensive move on a straightaway, but the stewards do not enforce it.  Hence, they created a more dangerous Magnussen.

This is just plain dangerous and erratic driving which is literally covered by the rulebook.

#13 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:13

I expect this kind of thing in a Forza lobby, crazy people doing this IRL, he treats it like a video game.

#14 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:16

The stewards will have to shoulder some of the responsibility when the inevitable large accident occurs caused by Magnussen's dangerous driving.

#15 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:16

This to me seems like the move Vettel did when defending Lewis in Rusia, only for Lewis pressing those brakes damn fast and avoiding a collision.

#16 diavolo

diavolo

• 179 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:22

Unneccesary move by Magnussen, but LeClerc should have kept more distance 

#17 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:25

Should Magnussen eventually end up hurting someone, look no further than the incompetent FIA who keep letting him get away with such ridiculous and downright dangerous moves.

He has seen these moves on TV and thinks he's talented enough to replicate them. He's not.

#18 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:27

More distance? WHAT? He was trying to overtake him!!!! FFS.

#19 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,641 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:30

LeClerc is allowed to pass with his DRS and Magnussen is not entitled to the entire track.

Advertisement

#20 Skizo

Skizo

• 589 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:31

I agree,i mean the reaction time of a driver is 1 second(the time that actually something happens),so to be safe,around 2 se....oh wait this is RACING and he tried to overtake.....

Magnussen will cause a very heavy crash before they will do anything about this,sadly.

#21 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 502 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:32

I might have a bit of an unpopular opinion about these kinds of sitiuations, but here it is anyway:

I think Leclerc could've avoided it by making his move sooner, that way he would've had time to respond. Leclerc made his move too late, that's why there was no time to react to Magnussens defending. If you want to pass someone, you'll have to work for it, not waiting till the last moment to make your move and expect your opponent to let you by without a fight.

Edit: saying essentially three times the same thing is a bit redundant.... :p

Edited by bibliophagos, 07 October 2018 - 08:33.

#22 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:36

I like Kmag but some of his moves are really too far. Charles has every right to be pissed. 

#23 Laster

Laster

• 3,880 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:38

Magnussen is way too aggressive in his defence. I’m glad he picked up a puncture and damage to his car, at least that acted like a penalty where the stewards (wrongly) chose not to act. He leaves these moves way too late, pick a damn line BEFORE the other driver makes their move not after!

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:38

Odious driving from Magnussen.  It is beyond rational thought that he didn't get a penalty.  One has to question whether the stewards are incompetent, bent, or blind, as I see no realistic alternative.

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:40

If you want to pass someone, you'll have to work for it, not waiting till the last moment to make your move and expect your opponent to let you by without a fight.

The whole point of waiting late is to not give your opponent time to react. LeClerc just didn't count on Magnussen being ... eh, 'clever' enough to slam his car in front regardless.

Timing the moment of a move is difficult. If you close the distance too early, you end up having to move aside and out of the wake of the car. This is often problematic at longer straights, like in Monza or at Spa.

#26 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:42

If Max had done this today it would be the talk of the day week month.

Edit: Reviewing this move today, and Max/Kimi at Spa, this move from Magnussen looks even worse.

Edited by Lights, 07 October 2018 - 08:45.

#27 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:42

I noticed both Channel 4 girls (Lee and Suzie) calling out Kevin on this one. Quite funny.

The penalty debate is one thing but, really, neither Haas pilot has the knack of clean races. Something stoopid every weekend is almost guaranteed.

#28 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:44

This to me seems like the move Vettel did when defending Lewis in Rusia, only for Lewis pressing those brakes damn fast and avoiding a collision.

Nah Vettel was already on the move earlier. This is totally different. 

#29 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:45

Magnussen is an idiot. He is so dangerous, but it seems stewards are even more dumb.

Edited by Trust, 07 October 2018 - 08:45.

#30 diavolo

diavolo

• 179 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:47

If he wanted to overtake he should have pulled to the side. Hard to overtake when you are right behind the car in front :p

#31 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:48

I'm bored of repeating the word thug. He's going to kill someone if he's allowed to keep getting away with this ****. He makes the BTCC look clean.

#32 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:49

There was also the incident with Gasly in Baku. Here's the thread about that incident, in which I originally posted the opening post: https://forums.autos...18-split-topic/

Regarding Gasly in Baku, I believe the story was that he couldn't see his his mirrors. On the onboard view, they do appear to be very shaky. Hard to judge IMO whether Magnussen intended to do that: he was after all precisely on the racing line.

#33 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 502 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:50

Timing the moment of a move is difficult. If you close the distance too early, you end up having to move aside and out of the wake of the car. This is often problematic at longer straights, like in Monza or at Spa.

But Magnussen had time to react. Leclerc was the one who didn't have time to react. Might need some practice on throwing a dummy.

Edited by bibliophagos, 07 October 2018 - 08:51.

#34 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:56

Nah Vettel was already on the move earlier. This is totally different. 

Yes, he moved into the middle of the track before Lewis made his move, but I think he moved again to cover the move. 

#35 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:03

Yes, he moved into the middle of the track before Lewis made his move, but I think he moved again to cover the move. 

Fair enough. To me it looked more like one continuous move but yes, in the middle of it he seemed to hesitate a bit, and that part was also very late indeed.

#36 Laster

Laster

• 3,880 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:05

If he wanted to overtake he should have pulled to the side. Hard to overtake when you are right behind the car in front :p

He took a tow, y’know like the drivers do in F1 in order to overtake, then pulled out, to which Magnussen reacted and cut across causing the collision. Magnussen left his defensive move too late, he waited for Leclerc to commit to the move, when drivers are supposed to make a defensive before the other driver tries to overtake.

#37 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:06

But Magnussen had time to react. Leclerc was the one who didn't have time to react. Might need some practice on throwing a dummy.

An overtaking driver is always going to carry more speed. Throwing the car in front can accomplish two things: force the overtaking driver to take a different route or cause a crash.

If you want to accomplish the former, you need to move over earlier than Magnussen did.

Magnussen takes inspiration from the Max "I'd rather crash" Verstappen school of racing, and the FIA thinks this is all good. No wonder racing in F1 is so poor.

#38 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:08

"the reaction time of a F1 driver is about 1 second"....what on earth are you blathering about? An average human has a reaction time around 1/3 second. F1 drivers much faster.

Leclerc wanted to overtake KMag. KMag didn't want to be overtaken. 

#39 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:13

Magnussen takes inspiration from the Max "I'd rather crash" Verstappen school of racing, and the FIA thinks this is all good. No wonder racing in F1 is so poor.

Well played, you even found a way to shift part of the blame to Max on an incident he wasn’t even involved in.

Advertisement

#40 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:15

How do you keep distance when you are overtaking  :rotfl:  :drunk:

#41 Skizo

Skizo

• 589 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:17

"the reaction time of a F1 driver is about 1 second"....what on earth are you blathering about? An average human has a reaction time around 1/3 second. F1 drivers much faster.

Leclerc wanted to overtake KMag. KMag didn't want to be overtaken. 

I tried to be funny  :cry:  https://en.wikipedia...Two-second_rule

:drunk:

Edit: You changed my quote to F1 driver,i wrote driver   ;)

Edited by Skizo, 07 October 2018 - 09:18.

#42 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:18

This kind of thing needs heavy punishing.

For all the talk of safety, stewards continuously allowing dirty driving are the biggest cause of a lack of safety in F1.

#43 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,193 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:18

Well played, you even found a way to shift part of the blame to Max on an incident he wasn’t even involved in.

It's shifting the blame on stewards not max...if they punished idiotic (max spa, max baku) driving maybe idiot kevin wouldn't try it.

#44 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:21

It's shifting the blame on stewards not max...if they punished idiotic (max spa, max baku) driving maybe idiot kevin wouldn't try it.

Sure, these kind of moves didn’t exist in F1 until Max joined in.

#45 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:22

Danish steward (Tom Kristensen) protecting his compatriot?

#46 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:24

And this was practice with Leclerc in Barcelona in May:

Wow, that doesn't look very nice. Did magn hear something from the stewards after that?

#47 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:33

Nothing to do with blame. Just noting that at least Verstappen is honest about it, and given that the guy gets praised into high heaven by the F1 inner circle, it's no wonder than lesser talents like Magnussen take inspiration from it.

Speaking of which, what does Magnussen actually contribute to F1 other than these kinds of dangerous moves every couple of races? Why is the FIA so intent on keeping him around? It's a pattern with this guy. Just ban him.

Edited by Nonesuch, 07 October 2018 - 09:34.

#48 peggle

peggle

• 1,357 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:46

Kmag, what the hell can you say, dangerous and allowed to get away with it for the large part, a accident waiting to happen

#49 Papand

Papand

• 80 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:49

He did one move as the rules state he is allowed to do. Leclerc moved too late and smashed into Kmag. End of story. 

Kmag contribute with some head to head racing in a sport that's turning dull with one boring DRS overtake after another. 

#50 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:52

Magnussen just can't drive.