* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2352 replies to this topic

#551 BRG

BRG

• 16,958 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 17:52

I was suggesting that You, personally, speak to some lady drivers to get their take -- not quote a vastly minority opinion from the very few that oppose the Series. Detractors can always be found, I find positive thought to be better.

Perhaps you don't realize how pro-male your comments appear. Can you not see the massive opportunity to both expand the fan base, and add a large number of new drivers to racing? Or are you happy watching our sport fading away, as it's been doing since we were kids? Half the population is female, the growth potential for racing here is clear as a bell.

All my female friends who love racing love this concept, even piquing interest in some who've never seen a race. Now, they might. Those opinions matter to me, as one whose hopes are for racing to thrive again on all levels.

Pro-male appears to equate to treating women equally to men in your eyes.  And I am not going to harrass and stalk female drivers just to please you.

Advertisement

#552 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,127 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 19:06

Tomorrow morning by 7am GMT, we'll know who made it. https://twitter.com/...949129222569986

Thanks for posting that timeline!

Do we know for a fact that there are as many woman as men who have an interest in motor racing or even cars?

Maybe just maybe the fact that there are only a small amount of woman who pursue racing driver as their chosen profession is because there are only a small proportion of woman who want to do it?

I think your doing an disservice to women to say that because they have no role model they will not be interested in doing something. Maybe I'm different to most people but I take an interest in something I like because I like it then once I have an interest I become aware of the people taking part, not the other way around.

A fair study might be to look at women's demographics in following male sports vs. female versions. The results are both available, and predictable.
It's great you needn't role models. Says good things about your style. But it may be a disservice to all role models and mentors to suggest their gifts have no value in inspiring others.

Edited by E1pix, 28 March 2019 - 05:31.

#553 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 20:42

Tomorrow morning by 7am GMT, we'll know who made it. https://twitter.com/...949129222569986

I'm curious to know the 18 : as said Shea Holbrook "I just don’t even know how to explain how competitive and intense this was".

It seems that many had very similar performances and that there is a lot of question marks over the future selected ones.

A lot of drivers was like Sarah Bovy :

ZhHzvAX.jpg?1

#554 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 510 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:16

So would having a series with two drivers per team . one male , one female, be a good idea. It would lead to the teams all trying to train the best female driver possible , probably by finding them while still young in karts.

I would love to see this in F1 where everyone says it is the car not the driver that allows the win.

#555 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,127 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:20

The 18 to race are official:
https://wseries.com/...driver-line-up/

#556 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:44

The 18 to race are official:
https://wseries.com/...driver-line-up/

Not surprisingly, goodbye Van der Lof, Mets, Gui, and Kowalaska. Linossi too : we shouldn't see her often.

2 "shocks" on the other hand with the non-selection of Natalie Decker, very young, and a real star in the USA with a lot of followers, as well as Vivien Keszthelyi only reserve driver. She is also very popular, and she is the 2nd youngest of the 28, so with theoretically more progress to come.
Of course, it's a half surprise as Decker is a pure NASCAR driver with no experience of single-seater championships, and the same for Keszthelyi, GT driver who discovered single-seaters with the winter 2019 F3 Asia, without impressive performances since Koyama came for the last round and had no trouble being faster.

I'm also disappointed for Sarah Bovy, but it's been so long since she's been in a single-seater and she has very irregular programs...
I would have expected Alexandra Whitley to be selected, but she has never known anything other than New Zealand pickup races, so...

#557 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:49

So would having a series with two drivers per team . one male , one female, be a good idea. It would lead to the teams all trying to train the best female driver possible , probably by finding them while still young in karts.

I would love to see this in F1 where everyone says it is the car not the driver that allows the win.

Even better, have them drive the same car and swap in an endurance format.

#558 Beri

Beri

• 1,555 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:08

Jamie Chadwick UK
Sabre Cook USA
Marta Garcia Spain
Megan Gilkes Canada
Esmee Hawkey UK
Jessica Hawkins UK
Shea Holbrook USA
Emma Kimilainen Finland
Miki Koyama Japan
Sarah Moore UK
Tasmin Pepper South Africa
Vicky Piria Italy
Alice Powell UK
Gosia Rdest Poland
Naomi Schiff Belgium
Beitske Visser Netherlands
Fabienne Wohlwend Lichtenstein
Caitlin Wood Australia

RESERVES
Sarah Bovy Belgium
Vivien Keszthelyi Hungary
Stephane Kox Netherlands
Francesca Linossi Italy

#559 Beri

Beri

• 1,555 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:11

So.. in essence.. At the end of 2018, there was a 55 name shortlist. Of which 5 possible drivers were out of the UK.
Now, the shift has been done.. guess what? 5 drivers out of the UK remain on the entry list of 18 women. I'm not implying anything. Oh wait.. I am..

Advertisement

#560 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 8,617 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:25

So.. in essence.. At the end of 2018, there was a 55 name shortlist. Of which 5 possible drivers were out of the UK.
Now, the shift has been done.. guess what? 5 drivers out of the UK remain on the entry list of 18 women. I'm not implying anything. Oh wait.. I am..

S0 - what are you implying? Give us a clue...

#561 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:25

It indicates that the UK is still a great place to learn your trade as a racing driver, no matter what your sex is.

#562 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 8,617 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:31

Non of it matters anyway - One driver could win every race by 60 seconds setting lap records every time, but will still never get a sniff of an F1 seat.

#563 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:36

Probably he's implying that the 55 list was way too British heavy for an international championship.. :) Nah, more like you know, Brexit affecting things.

Happy to see Rdest on the list, good for her.

#564 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:59

AM1T3647-1024x682.jpg

Puma has been added to the official sponsor list

#565 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,074 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:00

Not a fan of this concept.

Beitske Visser to dominate

Edited by thegamer23, 28 March 2019 - 09:01.

#566 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:03

I for one can't wait to watch this series. Will it be a proper crashfest, even worse than F2, or are we going to see a much more female dynamic, a very risk averse approach and cars just following each other without anything happening.

I fear this series is going to be pretty dull, simply because men usually are willing to take much more risks, putting it all on the line in order to get an F1 seat someday. Realistically these girls don't have a chance at F1. The level is way too high and it's too physical. 

#567 Lotusse7en

Lotusse7en

• 83 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:14

Looks like firstly selected one from each country who were in the "semi finals" and then selected the rest 

Still very happy for Tasmin Pepper - her brother is doing the Inter Continental GTC  with Bentley - she's been karting from a very young age and won the SA FFord champs here a few years ago 

#568 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:31

Looks like firstly selected one from each country who were in the "semi finals" and then selected the rest

Meng Gui would have liked this selection process ^^

#569 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:39

Firstly, there were a lot of drivers that would have walked into this championship but they didn't apply for reasons of principle...

But, with that said, given that the W Series concept was created in the UK, the UK has more active women racing in upper levels of motorsport (perhaps with the exception of US in overall terms rather than percentage terms) and nearly 1 third of the selected W Series grid are from UK... I don't think this implies any bias whatsoever, rather it demonstrates that the UK are way ahead in terms of promoting women in motorsport compared to most other nations. 

Edit: Also worth considering that the UK has had 19 F1 winners, second on the list is Germany with 7... UK also lead in terms of number of drivers (168) and Champions (10) - so I think the demographics of W Series are inline with the global motorsport framework. 

Edited by Rinehart, 28 March 2019 - 09:46.

#570 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:50

Non of it matters anyway - One driver could win every race by 60 seconds setting lap records every time, but will still never get a sniff of an F1 seat.

How does it matter if they don't? If the winner goes on to have a decent professional career in motorsport, that will be really good. There is no need to set the bar so high with F1. Plenty of drivers out there with great careers never made it to F1, they're still a relative success in the grand scheme of things. 

#571 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:56

I for one can't wait to watch this series. Will it be a proper crashfest, even worse than F2, or are we going to see a much more female dynamic, a very risk averse approach and cars just following each other without anything happening.

I fear this series is going to be pretty dull, simply because men usually are willing to take much more risks, putting it all on the line in order to get an F1 seat someday. Realistically these girls don't have a chance at F1. The level is way too high and it's too physical.

I reckon if you watched the race without knowing they were all female, you’d not be able to tell the difference. Unfortunately stereotypes like these will be the series biggest problem.

#572 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:59

As an example have you ever watched FIS world cup downhill ski racing. The women take just as many risks as men, some of them such as Goggia, Stuhec and Fanchini are absolute warriors Their competition is easily as exciting as the mens. 

I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge as this is just the first season and the quality of the grid should improve in the coming years, but I have no doubt that right from the off there will be some proper racing towards the front of the grid. 

#573 FLB

FLB

• 10,256 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:13

I think the surprises will come from Fabienne Wohlwend and Gosia Rdest. Wohlwend in particular looks like a promising GT driver based on her Ferrrari Challenge results.

This may be more a question for TNF, but has a driver from Lichtenstein raced at Le Mans since Manfred Schurti?

Edited by FLB, 28 March 2019 - 10:18.

#574 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,218 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:14

And Vicky Piria is half-British.

But there are probably more British grassroots racers than in most countries.

Liechtenstein is massively over-represented. ;)

#575 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 857 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:20

Not a fan of this concept.

same thought! 

https://forums.autos...10#entry8687861

let's start a fanclub!!    ;)  

#576 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,817 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:30

A shout out to Sabre Cook and her mentor! :up:

Edited by YoungGun, 28 March 2019 - 10:30.

#577 Beri

Beri

• 1,555 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:30

It indicates that the UK is still a great place to learn your trade as a racing driver, no matter what your sex is.

Exactly this..

All jokes aside, it is kinda weird to me. I do expect that all drivers that are chosen, are chosen on merit of their abilities. But even mathematically seen it is a high unprobable outcome that 100% of the British drivers making it out of a 55 driver list. Certainly if one considers Jessica Hawkins has been given a spot and the likes of Kox, Agren and Schreiner have been let out.

But Im very curious how this series will evolve.

#578 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:57

I reckon if you watched the race without knowing they were all female, you’d not be able to tell the difference. Unfortunately stereotypes like these will be the series biggest problem.

My experience from karting tells me the opposite. The difference between the boys and girls was big.

What is your experience?

#579 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,168 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:02

What level are you talking about ? Karting is a very vast world.

Advertisement

#580 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:11

Across all levels 

But like any racing series, what this series needs is a female Maldonado or Grosjean. And I'm not sure if she exists. 

#581 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:19

But like any racing series, what this series needs is a female Maldonado or Grosjean. And I'm not sure if she exists. 

When María de Villota was racing in SLF, she had a reputation for being dangerous and reckless.

#582 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,160 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:45

Thanks for posting that timeline!

A fair study might be to look at women's demographics in following male sports vs. female versions. The results are both available, and predictable.
It's great you needn't role models. Says good things about your style. But it may be a disservice to all role models and mentors to suggest their gifts have no value in inspiring others.

I didn't say that role models don't have value, just that you find the role model after taking an interest in the subject.

#583 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,250 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:33

All jokes aside, it is kinda weird to me. I do expect that all drivers that are chosen, are chosen on merit of their abilities. But even mathematically seen it is a high unprobable outcome that 100% of the British drivers making it out of a 55 driver list.

That could hint that they didn't want to make the long list to Brit-heavy. With five terrific British drivers already in the mix (including Jamie Chadwick, who I'm hoping and expecting to see win races and fight for the championship), it may have been a bit harder for British drivers who they thought were less likely to make it into the final 18 to even make the long list of 55.

It's not that statistically unlikely list of 18 drivers includes five Brits when you consider the strength of motorsport in this country. The list of 20 F1 drivers for 2019 includes four Brits (one of whom is racing on a Thai license) after all...

#584 Beri

Beri

• 1,555 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:46

That could hint that they didn't want to make the long list to Brit-heavy. With five terrific British drivers already in the mix (including Jamie Chadwick, who I'm hoping and expecting to see win races and fight for the championship), it may have been a bit harder for British drivers who they thought were less likely to make it into the final 18 to even make the long list of 55.

It's not that statistically unlikely list of 18 drivers includes five Brits when you consider the strength of motorsport in this country. The list of 20 F1 drivers for 2019 includes four Brits (one of whom is racing on a Thai license) after all...

You would be right if this were true. But fact the matter is, what I said before, Jessica Hawkins has been given a spot. Her racing record doesnt imply that she is that terrific. As said, the likes of Kox, Agren and Schreiner have got better résumés and have been left out.

And this discussion aside, I do want to reply towards your patriotism in your post. It is admirable, but British racing heritage is hyped too much by the islanders themselves in my book.

#585 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,278 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 13:36

So now we wait for info on the TV deal....
Jp

#586 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,709 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 13:38

Not so sure.  I would expect Jamie Chadwick to be the dominatrix, if anyone.

#587 blkirk

blkirk

• 318 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 13:49

Across all levels 

Watch this without sound and see if you can pick out the female driver.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9ZoN2vgKXi4

Edited by blkirk, 28 March 2019 - 13:55.

#588 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,218 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 13:58

And this discussion aside, I do want to reply towards your patriotism in your post. It is admirable, but British racing heritage is hyped too much by the islanders themselves in my book.

I don't think it's hyped enough.  The last F1 team to win the BBC Team of the Year award was BRM.

And compare that to the Laureus awards.  Hamilton has never won sportsman of the year, whereas two German drivers have with demonstrably inferior achievements.

#589 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 14:19

Watch this without sound and see if you can pick out the female driver.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9ZoN2vgKXi4

The one having trouble with parking?

Haha, just kidding

#590 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 14:47

Not so sure.  I would expect Jamie Chadwick to be the dominatrix, if anyone.

I guess so, but it won't be easy for her :

Visser won races in ADAC F4 (where she scored 10x more points than Stephane Knox). If she's comfortable with the car, she could win some races.

Powell was interesting with good lap time for a GP3 rookie. It was a high level championship, and she could be very fast against many W Series' drivers, if she recover her past speed.

Kimiläinen was a Scandinavian champion in F Ford, then getting podiums and other good results in F4 ADAC, and F3 FPA, then no more money and end of single-seater career. She end 1 race on 3 on the podium during her career and said today on Instagram her target to win W Series 2019. She probably has too much confidence, but she can also join the fight for victory if she recover her past speed.

#591 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 14:56

All the statistics at the lower end of motorsport basically mirror F1 more or less. For example, about 1.5% of all current racing drivers are women, just under 1% of F1 drivers were women. W Series grid is 27% Brits, F1 is 20% Brits, etc etc

#592 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:04

You would be right if this were true. But fact the matter is, what I said before, Jessica Hawkins has been given a spot. Her racing record doesnt imply that she is that terrific. As said, the likes of Kox, Agren and Schreiner have got better résumés and have been left out.

If I maybe so bold, there are quite a few reasons to have selected Kox. She's Dutch (a market which is currently experiencing a hype in interest due to the Verstappen effect and near to the host venues of the races), she's very attractive which is important for marketing the series, impressively popular on social media and the daughter of Peter Kox who had a decent racing career and has contacts. The fact she wasn't selected, signifies more authenticity that I'd expected if I'm honest. I'm actually quite shocked she wasn't. I think the facts are their CV's got them as far as the qualification round but their performance in the qualification process decided selection, so there is no point in subjectively saying "x" is better than "y" based on their prior records. 

#593 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:09

Let's hope there is a good fight at the front in consistent cars and not too many random results. 
If the good ones get to really show what they're made of in racecraft and strategy, they should look good with big race teams and personal sponsors.

Beitske Visser being a Red Bull reject statistically stands a very high chance (for a woman) to land a shock F1 drive. Ask Hartley, Kvyat and Albon. Perhaps not quite 2020 but it would be great if she'd be welcomed back to continue her development. 

If some drivers do well sportively and financially, are they options to enter in high profile mixed F3 races? Would differing chassis and tires be too much of a learning curve to switch? I'm not exactly an F3 savant.

#594 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:23

If I maybe so bold, there are quite a few reasons to have selected Kox. She's Dutch (a market which is currently experiencing a hype in interest due to the Verstappen effect and near to the host venues of the races), she's very attractive which is important for marketing the series, impressively popular on social media and the daughter of Peter Kox who had a decent racing career and has contacts. The fact she wasn't selected, signifies more authenticity that I'd expected if I'm honest. I'm actually quite shocked she wasn't. I think the facts are their CV's got them as far as the qualification round but their performance in the qualification process decided selection, so there is no point in subjectively saying "x" is better than "y" based on their prior records. 

Indeed : Kox explained on Instagram why she isn't in the 18 :

Short update, didn’t make it into the last 18 drivers. Made a mistake, which cost me. Feeling devastated, as I knew my season was depending on this.

#595 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,391 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:32

... are we going to see a much more female dynamic, a very risk averse approach and cars just following each other without anything happening.

I don't know most of the participants, but having watched Sarah Moore, Jamie Chadwick and Alice Powell racing I wouldn't use the term "risk averse" about them. A better phrase would be "have a go."

The biggest threat to the quality of racing is the wide span of abilities, but when you're drawing from a small pool that's inevitable.

#596 Beri

Beri

• 1,555 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:53

You may. But I named Kox for no better reason than the fact that she has even a better track record than Hawkins. And rather than Kox being in, or even the non mentioned two others by you, Hawkins gets the drive. For what reason? Because she is British? It beats me. Because I sincerely think there are some drivers who were selected not because their talent but rather due to other reasons. 5 out of 5 British drivers to promote a British series, ran by a British racing organization. This is something I call too coincidental.

#597 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:56

It's no coincidence that if you want to prove yourself as a young racing driver, you go to a British series. It's the place to go if you want to have your talent spotted. Hardly surprising that the Brits have got through. The UK is good at finding good racing drivers.

#598 Starchild

Starchild

• 609 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:57

If I maybe so bold, there are quite a few reasons to have selected Kox. She's Dutch (a market which is currently experiencing a hype in interest due to the Verstappen effect and near to the host venues of the races), she's very attractive which is important for marketing the series, impressively popular on social media and the daughter of Peter Kox who had a decent racing career and has contacts. 

She is also Robin Frijns' girlfriend.  :D

A bit disappointing that she is not in. Hopefully she will jump in as reserve...

#599 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 520 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:00

It is true that Brits had a lot of World Champions, but they have also saturated F1 with most mediocre bunch by far. Since I started watching F1 it was always full of likes of Herbert, Davidson, Joylon, diResta, Stevens, Chilton, Brundle, Blundell, McNish, Wilson. This must be the result of the fact that most teams are based in UK and most staff working in F1 is British. Some thing happening now in FW.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 28 March 2019 - 16:00.

Advertisement

#600 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:02

Herbert, Davidson, Joylon, diResta, Stevens, Chilton, Brundle, Blundell, McNish, Wilson

There's a couple of "average" drivers in that list, but there's also three world champions, multiple winners of either Grands Prix or other top level races and generally superb drivers in that list.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 28 March 2019 - 16:11.
So many world champions