* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#651 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:52

Already happened.  British club racer Bob Cowell became Roberta Cowell in 1951 and won a load of Ladies' Trophies in British hillclimbing. 

Advertisement

#652 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 377 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 18:22

Is Schiff racing with a German flag on her rear wing?

Every driver has her own national flag on sides of rear wind as well as on the Halo.

Naomi Schiff is listed as German on wseries.com

According to the Code passport nationality is to appear on all offcial documents so we will know for sure once some official entry list or other result is published. Not that it matters to me.

#653 BRG

BRG

• 16,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 18:39

Every driver has her own national flag on sides of rear wind as well as on the Halo.

Naomi Schiff is listed as German on wseries.com

According to the Code passport nationality is to appear on all offcial documents so we will know for sure once some official entry list or other result is published. Not that it matters to me.

She was born in Belgium of a Belgian father and a Rwandan mother, but raised in South Africa.  That seems to give her a choice of nationalities, so not sure why she has opted for yet another.

#654 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:53

Maybe it is meant to be the Belgian flag but they got the order wrong?

#655 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,427 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:55

Wikipedia say she is Rwandan and South African

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Naomi_Schiff

:cool:

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 18 April 2019 - 20:55.

#656 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:26

As usual it is very likely me rather than the site, I go to the series website www.wseries.com wanting to see how the drivers stack up against each other so far, and I can not find a single list of times. Racing is very much about the speed with which you race, all the glossy words, the pictures, the intent and vision of the series is all fine... I want to see times, I want to have a feel for the field being close or strung out with 3 - 4 drivers way ahead of everyone else (which is my expectation).

If not on their own site, anywhere else I can find test times?

#657 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 13:40

Will somebody change the thread title already, please?   ;)

#658 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 14:11

Will somebody change the thread title already, please?   ;)

Please no.... there is a time honored tradition of not doing that, NHL is still ongoing in the 2012 thread... and there were an uproar when an attempt were made to change the Ross Brown title.

#659 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 3,175 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:05

The only testing results that I've found are linked on the previous page.

Advertisement

#660 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,548 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:19

What is wrong with thread title? Have found sites for most of the drivers which would seem to be best source of info? Shea Holbrook due to be racing in US F3 series today but qualifying cancelled due to weather :cry:

#661 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:21

What is wrong with thread title?

It was out of date. It was still asking who would be in the series. We've known that for weeks now.

#662 paulb

paulb

• 6,733 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:22

What is wrong with thread title? Have found sites for most of the drivers which would seem to be best source of info? Shea Holbrook due to be racing in US F3 series today but qualifying cancelled due to weather :cry:

https://www.f3americ...or-road-atlanta

she finished P4 in race 4.

Edited by paulb, 20 April 2019 - 16:27.

#663 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,039 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 21:35

Have we heard where this series is being televised?

Jp

#664 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,427 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:56

Jp

Should it not be part of the DTM coverage, since running as part of their race weekends.

#665 BRG

BRG

• 16,862 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 16:22

Should it not be part of the DTM coverage, since running as part of their race weekends.

Are any of the DTM support races televised outside Germany?

#666 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,427 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 16:52

No idea, just that if this is such a big thing, one would think some sort of media interest, which I really have not seen, but living in the US is likely part reason. It needs to be available to garner any real impact, even if 'only' a free youtube stream, I would watch at least in the beginning.

#667 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 541 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:10

The European F3 races were streamed on their channel. I don’t know about the rest.

#668 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,039 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:50

I think the DTM was televised on CBSSPORTS channel.
But as far as I can see they do not have it on this years schedule.

Jp

#669 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 18:40

Jp

W Series will say it after Easter, according to the CEO

In theory, anybody in the media space was able to do some pics of laptime, but as far as I know, only a DTM driver and a motorsport journalist published some, and about the same session :

https://twitter.com/...217469687205888

Edited by ArcticRacing, 21 April 2019 - 18:41.

#670 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,102 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:13

Good to see the entire field of 19 within barely two seconds on a hundred-second lap.

So much for runaway theories.

#671 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 49,954 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:25

:kiss:

#672 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:52

Live W Series TV coverage in the UK on C4 according to Autosport

Edited by ExFlagMan, 23 April 2019 - 06:53.

#673 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,370 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:28

^ Yep

Screenshot-2019-04-23-at-08-27-32.png

#674 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,289 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:05

I think that's good news. I'm still in two minds over this W series.

Positive: This increases exposure and visibilty which is indeed needed to begin to change perceptions and encourage more to get involved.

Negative: Risks making it look to those with only a casual or glancing interest as though motorsport is/has to be segregated by sex - which as we know is not the case.

Positive: It's a deal to have proper build up and behind the scenes coverage which gives them a chance to explain the aims of the series i.e. not just a side show.

Potential negative/potential positive: Yet to be seen how they do actually present the aims of the series.

Jury is still out for me, but I hope it will be sucessful and go about this in the right way.

#675 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:21

Perhaps C4 should take out some adverts for it on Sky F1...

#676 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:39

Wouldn't be surprised if the W series manages to do much better than Formula E TV ratings wise after this deal.

#677 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 370 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:45

^ Yep

Screenshot-2019-04-23-at-08-27-32.png

Great coverage on free to air TV. This is pretty massive. Neither F1 or FE get full live coverage like this.

#678 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,289 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:08

It is a big deal to be that visible indeed.

I think W Series have had the helpful influence of David Coulthard being both part of the W Series advisory board and having links to Channel 4 via his directorship of Whisper Films TV prodution company. But that's just an observation on how this came about more than anything.

#679 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,427 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:23

Good news for the series, I will not be able to watch but the fact there is free coverage for a real TV channel is a big deal.

Advertisement

#680 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 875 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:45

Great coverage on free to air TV. This is pretty massive. Neither F1 or FE get full live coverage like this.

I expected this to happen, either on the BBC or Channel 4, it fits their political agendas...

Coulthard's connections will have helped also.

Don't get too excited, this is going to tank, it is merely a sub-F3 motorsport category. This isn't going to pull any large viewing figures. 

F1 had live free coverage but that was lost to corporate greed from Sky. Formula E has also had full live coverage on major channels having been on both ITV and Channel 5 in the past, but the popularity wasn't there to sustain it.

Formula E also has a large advantage in having several large names involved, both in terms of drivers and brands, and still it struggles to gain, and maintain, a substantial following. 

Edited by JavierDeVivre, 23 April 2019 - 10:46.

#681 ANF

ANF

• 9,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:55

Good to see the entire field of 19 within barely two seconds on a hundred-second lap.

So much for runaway theories.

It's only testing! :p

#682 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,370 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:20

I expected this to happen, either on the BBC or Channel 4, it fits their political agendas...
Coulthard's connections will have helped also.

Don't get too excited, this is going to tank, it is merely a sub-F3 motorsport category. This isn't going to pull any large viewing figures.

I wouldn't expect this series intends to get or maintain a large following. Not for itself at least. If their goal is to increase the profile of female drivers and women in motorsport generally to the benefit of motorsport as a whole, the idea of a segregated series can only be assumed to be a temporary measure. 

Formula E has also had full live coverage on major channels having been on both ITV and Channel 5 in the past, but the popularity wasn't there to sustain it.

Formula E also has a large advantage in having several large names involved, both in terms of drivers and brands, and still it struggles to gain, and maintain, a substantial following. 

I think you're blending some facts here with what precisely what you want to hear.

It was in ITV4 (note, 4) and then took step up to Channel 5. Neither are particularly top tier broadcasters. BBC even on the Red Button and website can be and is perceived as a step up from those terrestrial second tier TV channels, especially in a digital age where the series wants young viewers. Only step up to be had now is full adoption to the main BBC or ITV channels (1 or 2) or indeed Channel 4.

Formula E's facebook followers alone has nearly doubled since Season 5 began in December. YouTube subscribers are up by about 40%. That's at odds with your assertions that interest is not growing. 

#683 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,039 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 15:26

Good deal for W series !
Jp

#684 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 16:19

Excellent to see this will be on Channel 4. I'm looking forward to being able to watch the races and seeing how it is. Genuinely excited.

I'm also intrigued to see what potential sponsors come out of the woodwork to suddenly take an interest. There are no doubt a host of products and brands geared towards women who've avoided motorsport that may take an interest in W Series and the drivers. Not sure if it's already been discussed or anything. I'm just envisaging a massive 'Venus' emblazoned on a car with the nose and front wing painted to look like a razor.

If that doesn't happen, golden marketing opportunity wasted.

#685 pRy

pRy

• 15,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 16:31

Brilliant news. Really looking forward to watching this series.

#686 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 17:15

Woman only series? Why not?

Live races in the UK on one of the big five channels? Well dont to all involved!

#687 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,102 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 17:27

It's only testing! :p

Haha, just meant the field has consistent talent for such an early stage.

Glad to hear of a TV deal. Hope we can get it online Stateside.

#688 BRG

BRG

• 16,862 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 17:31

I'm also intrigued to see what potential sponsors come out of the woodwork to suddenly take an interest. There are no doubt a host of products and brands geared towards women who've avoided motorsport that may take an interest in W Series and the drivers. Not sure if it's already been discussed or anything. I'm just envisaging a massive 'Venus' emblazoned on a car with the nose and front wing painted to look like a razor.

If that doesn't happen, golden marketing opportunity wasted.

This pre-supposes that the TV audience will be strongly female.  Will that in fact be the case?  No point advertising ladies shaving products to a bunch of blokes with beards! 

As a support to DTM, the live audience will probably be made up more of male than female spectators, I imagine.  They will be coming along to support their chosen DTM brands.  Will there be an influx of female fans more interested in the W Series than in the tin-top banger races?  This remains to be seen, although I have my doubts.  Are women who were not previously race fans going to tune in specially because it is a women-only series?  This also remains to be seen, but again, I have some doubts.

An interesting parallel might be women's pro-cycling.  The women's side of the sport has long existed but only recently has it really taken off and gained more status, with TV coverage.  But I wonder if the crowds at the road-side, or the TV audience has changed its make-up significantly?  Road-side crowds were always pretty mixed in gender although I suspect the crowds at climbs where access is difficult are still largely male.  It would be informative to know but I am not aware whether any reserch has been done.  Certainly you do see a LOT more women sports cyclists these days pounding the lanes in tight lycra (and very nice too!) so perhaps there is some anecdotal evidence of greater female involvement.

Anyway, the time for argument as to whether this series is appropriate is past.  Let's see how it all pans out.

#689 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,548 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 17:48

This pre-supposes that the TV audience will be strongly female.  Will that in fact be the case?  No point advertising ladies shaving products to a bunch of blokes with beards! 

As a support to DTM, the live audience will probably be made up more of male than female spectators, I imagine.  They will be coming along to support their chosen DTM brands.  Will there be an influx of female fans more interested in the W Series than in the tin-top banger races?  This remains to be seen, although I have my doubts.  Are women who were not previously race fans going to tune in specially because it is a women-only series?  This also remains to be seen, but again, I have some doubts.

An interesting parallel might be women's pro-cycling.  The women's side of the sport has long existed but only recently has it really taken off and gained more status, with TV coverage.  But I wonder if the crowds at the road-side, or the TV audience has changed its make-up significantly?  Road-side crowds were always pretty mixed in gender although I suspect the crowds at climbs where access is difficult are still largely male.  It would be informative to know but I am not aware whether any reserch has been done.  Certainly you do see a LOT more women sports cyclists these days pounding the lanes in tight lycra (and very nice too!) so perhaps there is some anecdotal evidence of greater female involvement.

Anyway, the time for argument as to whether this series is appropriate is past.  Let's see how it all pans out.

Great post :clap: Now need to discover who will be televising DTM-or if any serious racing will take place.Just discovered that Ellen Lohr who used to do DTM did first round of NASCAR Euroseries any crashed on first lap :(

#690 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,370 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:00

An interesting parallel might be women's pro-cycling. The women's side of the sport has long existed but only recently has it really taken off and gained more status, with TV coverage [...] Certainly you do see a LOT more women sports cyclists these days pounding the lanes [...] so perhaps there is some anecdotal evidence of greater female involvement.

Yeah. That's a good example.

From my experiences it has definitely had an impact in more women deciding to get involved in cycling.

If you present a sport as male dominated don't be surprised if it's near exclusively men and boys who aspire to do it or indeed do get involved. Or any demographic for that matter. If you see people doing things and think 'hey look, that's something people like me can do' you're a whole lot more likely to think about doing it than if you look at it and think 'ah, thats something done by people not like me'. 

So Channel 4 is a big bit of news for W Series. Fundamentally agree with it or not this is crucial to having a positive impact. Because people, specifically women and girls,  will see women doing motorsport - not as an odd one out but as the norm. Though I have been sceptical about this series myself I do see the value in presenting that image.

I think the bit they have to get right (and that I am nervous about) is reintegrating with 'regular' series. There's no real need to keep things separate in motorsport so their end goal should be, unusually for any start up series, to not have to exist anymore and in as short a time span as possible. 

#691 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 812 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:13

What would be the situation if one of the current male F1 drivers decided to transition to female? Would that be allowed? I imagine Valerie Bottas or Daniella Kvyatt would have a good shot at the championship.

Or maybe they'd get beaten..... :lol:

This very situation is currently being debated with regards to athletics and other sports. As I have several friends who are trans (one of whom is a competitive rower), I have something of an interest in it. The scientific research has been done and the conclusion is that muscle/fat and hormone levels match those of people born in the gender that someone transitions to....so long as they have been receiving hormone treatment for 12-18 months. That is to say that someone who was born male and who transitions to female will effectively have the body strengths/weaknesses of someone born into a female body after 18 months of hormone treatment.

It's pretty much a non-issue. What they hypothetical Valerie Bottas would have in the way of advantage would be reputation and experience in F1. 

Although women have long competed in motorsport (ref Kay Petre, for example) they do face more hurdles than men....not least the somewhat justified belief that a woman is likely to be less strong than a man. The chances are that since 1950 we've missed a handful of women who could have been genuinely competitive in F1 because of this. 

#692 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:54

This pre-supposes that the TV audience will be strongly female.  Will that in fact be the case?

Well, Naomi Shiff said 80% of her followers on Instagram was men, and I guess it's kind of the same for other W Series' drivers.

#693 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 668 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:38

I wonder when W series will have its first Male driver

#694 Beri

Beri

• 1,473 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 16:48

Wikipedia say she is Rwandan and South African

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Naomi_Schiff

Taking Wikipedia as a legitimate and only source is like trusting Trump on his word of being the "best president ever".

#695 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,064 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 18:24

This very situation is currently being debated with regards to athletics and other sports. As I have several friends who are trans (one of whom is a competitive rower), I have something of an interest in it. The scientific research has been done and the conclusion is that muscle/fat and hormone levels match those of people born in the gender that someone transitions to....so long as they have been receiving hormone treatment for 12-18 months. That is to say that someone who was born male and who transitions to female will effectively have the body strengths/weaknesses of someone born into a female body after 18 months of hormone treatment.

It's pretty much a non-issue. What they hypothetical Valerie Bottas would have in the way of advantage would be reputation and experience in F1. 

Although women have long competed in motorsport (ref Kay Petre, for example) they do face more hurdles than men....not least the somewhat justified belief that a woman is likely to be less strong than a man. The chances are that since 1950 we've missed a handful of women who could have been genuinely competitive in F1 because of this. 

I think the whole thing's a none issue as far as motor sport is concerned, physical strength makes up a tiny proportion of a drivers skill set these days so anybody trying to make a claim that a trans driver in a female only series has an advantage would be laughed at. And even in more traditional series we have plenty of women drivers that can hustle their cars as well as anybody else. 

#696 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,370 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:58

Has Helmut Marko become the new Ecclestone of the F1 paddock? 

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko says F1 is ‘too strenuous for women’

https://drivetribe.c...GTkm0xKMQAWsHCA

#697 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,335 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:20

Why was Visser a Red Bull junior if this is what the man in charge thinks of women?

Bernie said worse things on the subject when he was Helmut's age. I don't even want to quote that drivel.

#698 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,370 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:26

Why was Visser a Red Bull junior if this is what the man in charge thinks of women?

Well she was also dropped form the program after only a year...

It does make you wonder if she was ever in with a fair chance as a Red Bull Junior when the man leading it thought F1 was going to be beyond her because she is a woman. 

Edited by Ben1445, 26 April 2019 - 08:27.

#699 pRy

pRy

• 15,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:07

Ted and Lee part of the TV line up.

https://wseries.com/...sentation-team/

Advertisement

#700 statman

statman

• 4,702 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:38

sounds like a better line-up than the Sky team ^