* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2352 replies to this topic

#701 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,439 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:58

What about the rest of the world? Youtube streaming?

Advertisement

#702 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:01

I expected this to happen, either on the BBC or Channel 4, it fits their political agendas...

Coulthard's connections will have helped also.

Don't get too excited, this is going to tank, it is merely a sub-F3 motorsport category. This isn't going to pull any large viewing figures. 

Define tank?

I bet it gets a larger audience than the free-to-air British Touring Car Championship on ITV 4. 

#703 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:05

Has Helmut Marko become the new Ecclestone of the F1 paddock? 

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko says F1 is ‘too strenuous for women’

https://drivetribe.c...GTkm0xKMQAWsHCA

It's certainly too modern for Marko. 

#704 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,209 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:46

Although women have long competed in motorsport (ref Kay Petre, for example)...

Might I nominate Mme. Junek who could have won (or at least finished second) in the 1928 Targa Florio but for reliability problems?

#705 Garndell

Garndell

• 863 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:14

Has Helmut Marko become the new Ecclestone of the F1 paddock? 

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko says F1 is ‘too strenuous for women’

https://drivetribe.c...GTkm0xKMQAWsHCA

When I first read this my first thought was "typical foot in mouth Daft Helmut" but the more I thought about it the more I think he is long past being retired from F1.  I'm not a fan of this modern PC crap we call society now but sometimes it's worth the hassle if it gets rid of these ancient fools.

Even if I do question the W series (I think the old boys club that is F1 should be broken up personally) I am looking forward to watching the racing and their progress.

#706 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 15,103 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:31

What about the rest of the world? Youtube streaming?

Here in the Netherlands Ziggo Sports will broadcast the series.

#707 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,175 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:45

Define tank?

I bet it gets a larger audience than the free-to-air British Touring Car Championship on ITV 4. 

I'm not sure I'd take that bet. BTCC has an established and sizeable following.

#708 BRG

BRG

• 16,956 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 14:57

Ted and Lee part of the TV line up.

https://wseries.com/...sentation-team/

It's probably just me, but I have never heard of Claire Cottingham?

Having said that, what's with all these men cluttering up the place?  Surely they could field an all-female team for an all-feamle race series?  TV companies manage it for most other women's sports

#709 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,384 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 14:59

Having said that, what's with all these men cluttering up the place? Surely they could field an all-female team for an all-feamle race series? TV companies manage it for most other women's sports

I’d heard of her from her doing Formula E radio alongside Marc Priestly

#710 statman

statman

• 4,820 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 15:08

so what we know:

UK: Channel 4
Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland: Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT)
Netherlands: ZiggoVodafone

Rest of the world: currently sold through Pitch International partnership (known for WRC, FA Cup and Guinness Six Nations Rugby rights)

#711 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,160 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 15:12

I am looking forward to watching the racing and their progress.

Maybe it's just me but there will always be a little voice in the back of my head no matter how well they perform against each other asking "how would they do against their male peers".

#712 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,610 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 16:00

I am slow, so only now realized 30 minute races, I do not like timed races, I think it is too short, should be 'x' laps depending on track.

:cool:

#713 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,175 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 16:09

Having said that, what's with all these men cluttering up the place?  Surely they could field an all-female team for an all-feamle race series?  TV companies manage it for most other women's sports

In most series they have a few token women for the pit/paddock interviews, so a token man in that role is a good mirror.

#714 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,387 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 16:16

Maybe it's just me but there will always be a little voice in the back of my head no matter how well they perform against each other asking "how would they do against their male peers".

You might just have missed the whole point of this. The idea is that the best will go on to race against men. (As indeed they already have, without exception).

#715 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 19:48

You might just have missed the whole point of this. The idea is that the best will go on to race against men. (As indeed they already have, without exception).

Male guest drivers would mix it up nicely. Curious to see who the women themselves would pick to race against. The fastest guys they can find for it, or someone that might be beaten more easily? If the men go a rookie test of sorts, that'd make it fair enough.

#716 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,274 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 22:53

The sooner Ted bails on insipid Sky the better.

Jp

#717 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 429 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:57

In most series they have a few token women for the pit/paddock interviews, so a token man in that role is a good mirror.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Have a few good looking guys draped over the cars to complete the look  :rotfl: I am joking BTW but I think it's a good opportunity to showcase female motorsport presenters as well as the drivers as there is equally massive under-representation on the broadcasting side.

#718 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,175 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:00

There's one role I've never heard a woman in and that's of the main commentator. I've known some female drivers to join the main commentators in the booth, and they've been presenters and pundits and reporters.

#719 messy

messy

• 3,749 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:57

I'm glad it's getting the terrestrial TV exposure because if people pay attention to it, it's doing its job. 

Personally, I kinda wish they were giving this attention to the DTM as well/instead and doubt I'll be watching it. I know that makes me a terrible person, probably. I totally support this series, but does it spike my interest enough to be there to watch the inaugural race live? Not at all. 

Edited by messy, 30 April 2019 - 10:57.

Advertisement

#720 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,439 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:04

Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland: Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT)

What's that?

#721 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,214 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:17

It's the Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland Nordic Entertainment Group.

#722 Frood

Frood

• 3,568 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:20

There's one role I've never heard a woman in and that's of the main commentator. I've known some female drivers to join the main commentators in the booth, and they've been presenters and pundits and reporters.

Only one I can recall was for Speedcar. I was reminded of it when the Jean Alesi Expert Driver video was dug up at Barber.

Edited by Frood, 30 April 2019 - 11:20.

#723 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 5,403 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:32

What's that?

It’s the former MTG. Their consumer brand is Viasat.

#724 statman

statman

• 4,820 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:29

#725 blkirk

blkirk

• 318 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 14:40

Will Christien did a fabulous job in the Red Bull GRC "pit lane".  Since GRC folded, she's probably available.

#726 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,287 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 22:24

Seen like six adverts for this today with Couthard stating "talent doesn't have a gender".  which irks me a tiny bit as it sounds very contradicting considering its female only.  but maybe it's just me being old and stupid, I dunno.

I'll try and remember to watch though, who knows it could be good.

Edited by BuddyHolly, 30 April 2019 - 22:29.

#727 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,274 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 00:10

I await the moment someone posts the following.

‘It’s gone FULL W-SERIES.’

Jp

#728 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,439 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:30

It’s the former MTG. Their consumer brand is Viasat.

Damn. I guess no W-series for me then. Although I might try a nigerian just to see what series is like. It's an interesting concept.

#729 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:20

It's interesting that they chose to show a crash in that advert. It's in W-Series cars and looks to be Jaime Chadwick from the NIO logos on her kit. I guess it's from testing? 

As for why they chose to put it in the advert, I think it does show that they're not there to mess about. It's a serious game in which they're every bit as hungry and aggressive in driving. For an advert introducing people to the concept I can see the logic. 

#730 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:30

Seen like six adverts for this today with Couthard stating "talent doesn't have a gender".  which irks me a tiny bit as it sounds very contradicting considering its female only.  but maybe it's just me being old and stupid, I dunno.

I'll try and remember to watch though, who knows it could be good.

As a stand alone thing maybe, yeah, but when the whole idea of the series is (or damn well should be*) to make women in racing visible and change the perceptions that it's a sport for men so that their participation in racing can be boosted in traditional categories... it does make sense. The advert doesn't quite get that across though, so I hope they get that right in the broadcast.

I'll definitely watch. I'm completely on board with the intentions though I am nervous that they will mess up this chance. That's not a criticism of the series or its leadership but more to do with the potentially damaging consequences of getting it wrong.

*The W-Series mantra really should be 'we want to have to exist for a short a time as possible'. I think it is already but they need to shout it from the rooftops. 

#731 statman

statman

• 4,820 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 15:42

so what we know:

UK: Channel 4
Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland: Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT) - ViaSat
Netherlands: ZiggoVodafone

Rest of the world: currently sold through Pitch International partnership (known for WRC, FA Cup and Guinness Six Nations Rugby rights)

update:

* China, South Korea, Indonesia, Philippines, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Singapore & 8 other Asian territories: Fox Sports Asia

* Australia: SBS

* New Zealand: Sky NZ

* sub-Saharan Africa, available in 17 territories including Nigeria, Ethiopia, Botswana, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe

#732 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,126 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 16:45

I await the moment someone posts the following.
‘It’s gone FULL W-SERIES.’
Jp

It’s gone FULL W-SERIES.

< waves >

#733 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 18:54

Had a look on their website and had a quick google.... what’s the format for quali?

#734 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:13

Had a look on their website and had a quick google.... what’s the format for quali?

Found it:

16.1 Wherever possible, each round will include 2 x Free Practice sessions of a maximum of 45 minutes and a qualifying session of a maximum of 30 minutes. The timetable will be published in the Pre-Event information.

(https://wseries.com/...al-regulations/)

#735 BRG

BRG

• 16,956 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:19

*The W-Series mantra really should be 'we want to have to exist for a short a time as possible'. I think it is already but they need to shout it from the rooftops. 

I suspect it will achieve the aim of only existing for a short time, whether it is successful in promoting female racers or not.  Formula Woman only survived for three or four seasons before petering out and I don't think it produced any lasting results.

#736 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:30

Found it:
(https://wseries.com/...al-regulations/)

30min race... wonder why so short.

30min qualifying too. Looks like it’s unlimited laps...

#737 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:35

I suspect it will achieve the aim of only existing for a short time, whether it is successful in promoting female racers or not.  Formula Woman only survived for three or four seasons before petering out and I don't think it produced any lasting results.

Truuue but then Formula Women was only ever really club level racing in the UK with Mazdas/Caterhams and reality TV style coverage, much less than a typical junior formula single seater with live mainstream coverage. I'd also say a fair enough amount has changed even in 10-15 years on the social front to let these young women be taken seriously. So I'm not sure it's really the best of comparable cases. 

More or less agree with your first sentence though. However much I'd love for it to succeed. 

#738 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,175 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:40

30min race... wonder why so short.

That's a fair length for a support race series.

#739 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:43

Would have thought most series using an F3/F4 level chassis would be 30 minutes or less really.

Advertisement

#740 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:57

Truuue but then Formula Women was only ever really club level racing in the UK with Mazdas/Caterhams and reality TV style coverage...

I think that might be being too kind if I am honest.

http://speedqueens.b...mula-woman.html

#741 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 20:15

I think that might be being too kind if I am honest.

http://speedqueens.b...mula-woman.html

Good lord. 

#742 BRG

BRG

• 16,956 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 20:17

Truuue but then Formula Women was only ever really club level racing in the UK with Mazdas/Caterhams and reality TV style coverage, much less than a typical junior formula single seater with live mainstream coverage. I'd also say a fair enough amount has changed even in 10-15 years on the social front to let these young women be taken seriously. So I'm not sure it's really the best of comparable cases. 

More or less agree with your first sentence though. However much I'd love for it to succeed. 

Yes, FW was for complete novices initially, so definitely very much beginner level.  But it was sponsored by Mazda and well promoted at first.  Very little came out of it in terms of getting women into racing, sadly.    The W Series is at least concentrating on women who are proven(ish) racers which is a better idea as they are more likely to stay the course.  The winner of FW was Natasha Firman, sister of F1 racer Ralph Firman, but she only did the series for fun and then walked away.

As for the 'social front', that was twelve years AFTER the last woman to enter a F1 race (Amati) and thirty years AFTER the only woman to score a WDC point (Lombardi) and of course some fifty years AFTER the first woman to race in F1 (de Fillippis) so I not sure about the progress that you seem to be implying?

#743 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,214 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 20:51

It was a bit harsh on Lorraine Pinner, who had won more races than Firman, and looked as if she wanted to give it a good go.

#744 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 20:55

As for the 'social front', that was twelve years AFTER the last woman to enter a F1 race (Amati) and thirty years AFTER the only woman to score a WDC point (Lombardi) and of course some fifty years AFTER the first woman to race in F1 (de Fillippis) so I not sure about the progress that you seem to be implying?

I’m more on about the general attitudes to women and equality in society than motorsports results/participation. It’s hard to measure but personally I think we’re in a much better place now on this front than circa 15 years ago. Not perfect, but better. Recent pushes in coverage of women’s football and cycling, alongside this much more professional approach with W-Series than Formula Woman ever had is but one part of it.

#745 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 975 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 23:47

Would have thought most series using an F3/F4 level chassis would be 30 minutes or less really.

Especially when they they are a support series to a larger, more important one.

Timed races ensure there is little interference in the overall schedules.

#746 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,274 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:48

It’s gone FULL W-SERIES.

< waves >

Not yet it hasn’t...
Patience...padwan
Jp

#747 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,175 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:35

What would going "full W Series" even mean?

Is it when all the cars have their oil leaks synchronised on a monthly basis?

#748 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 429 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:44

I shouldn't laugh but I am.  :clap:

#749 balage06

balage06

• 1,265 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:59

Or fake-complimenting each other after a massive pilup?

#750 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,274 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:23

Racing drivers NEVER compliment other drivers...
Jp