* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• Please log in to reply
1342 replies to this topic

#1301 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 17:53

A great chance for Jamie, but I suspect it was because of her racing record, not because of the W Series. Williams have of course employed a woman driver in this role previously so it isn't really breaking new ground.

The only connection I can see is that Claire Williams was in the paddock at Hockenheim. But the only conclusive thing that tells us in this instance is that the W Series paddock may be a convenient place to discuss/sign contracts.

Advertisement

#1302 SouthF1

SouthF1

• 183 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 21:41

Are there any news regarding that really young japanese female driver, Juju Noda?

She drove a F3 at like age 11.

Would be fun to see her in this series in the future.

#1303 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,587 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 00:30

The only connection I can see is that Claire Williams was in the paddock at Hockenheim. But the only conclusive thing that tells us in this instance is that the W Series paddock may be a convenient place to discuss/sign contracts.

To the part of the public who are hearing about her through the W series will connect the dots as her getting there through being good in W.... it does not really matter if this have been in the making since 2011... there is a female driver who is now officially aligned with an iconic F1 team... to any new follower paying attention the W series and Williams F1 are connected directly from one dot to the other.

:cool:

#1304 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:17

Are there any news regarding that really young japanese female driver, Juju Noda?

Not a lot : some tests in F4 USA and more foreign programs expected :

https://www.autocar....04/13/363785/3/

https://www.facebook...21393051743553/

As she said :

This year, I will go to other countries, including America, to improve my skills.
I have to work hard to learn English and I have a lot to do!

#1305 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 255 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:13

If they want to promote drivers from this series tbey should throw some F1 license points for the winner

#1306 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:22

Not sure it qualifies for licence points due to the small number of races does it? Maybe if the calendar expands if they get alright viewership, it might qualify. But I can already hear the complaints if SL points were awarded to a series which doesn't include men...

I can't imagine it would be a considerable amount of SL points though if they were awarded, and when you can only have the points from 1 series per year, it might not be that beneficial. But we'll see.

#1307 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:36

If they want to promote drivers from this series tbey should throw some F1 license points for the winner

According to some newspaper : "At the moment W Series isn’t on the FIA list, even though other national level F3 championships feature with 10 points to the winner. CEO Catherine Bond Muir is pressing the FIA to club it under the ladder but the decision will only come at the end of year."

#1308 messy

messy

• 3,180 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:47

I suppose the thing about this series being worth SL points is that it isn't actually open to everybody? 

#1309 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,422 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:29

She drove a F3 at like age 11.

Would be fun to see her in this series in the future.

I think she has to wait until 2021 to drive her first Formula Race due to her age.

#1310 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 13:37

That's the first I've heard of Juju Noda, just read up on her, sounds like the hype train is already in full force on her pre-career. Will be interesting!

#1311 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 14:36

The FIA don't support this series, they are not in favour of it at all, so that won't happen until the winds change. 

#1312 statman

statman

• 4,163 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 15:33

The FIA don't support this series, they are not in favour of it at all, so that won't happen until the winds change. 

Well, it is mentioned here:

https://www.fia.com/...il-decisions-11

approved as an international series.

And here regarding the link up with F1:

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKCN1SB0NS

W Series chief executive Catherine Bond-Muir said the governing FIA would consider at the end of the season whether to award licence points and how many.

Edited by statman, 21 May 2019 - 15:34.

#1313 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,828 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 19:12

This series is a natural F1 support series, once it proves its longevity/popularity.

I spoke with a few women at a vintage race last weekend, and they all love it. The ones that've heard of it, anyway, these things take time.

#1314 paulb

paulb

• 6,154 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 23:41

NBC to broadcast W Series in the US, https://wseries.com/...across-the-usa/.

#1315 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,587 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 23:53

NBC to broadcast W Series in the US, https://wseries.com/...across-the-usa/.

Great news.

#1316 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,828 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:57

All they need to do now is Livestream for us with no television.

What, asking too much? ;-)

#1317 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:24

Well, it is mentioned here:

https://www.fia.com/...il-decisions-11

approved as an international series.

And here regarding the link up with F1:

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKCN1SB0NS

W Series chief executive Catherine Bond-Muir said the governing FIA would consider at the end of the season whether to award licence points and how many.

Exactly what I said. The don't support it at the moment. But if it proves successful their opinions will change. 

#1318 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,966 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:26

NEW: W Series ‘smashed estimates’ with 400,000 UK viewers for championship’s first race - https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/22/w-series-smashed-estimates-with-400000-uk-viewers-for-championships-first-race/  By @racinglines @racefansdotnet #F1

https://t.co/e7eKhvpZlT

#1319 proviz

proviz

• 495 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:36

Exactly what I said. The don't support it at the moment. But if it proves successful their opinions will change. 

Well, there are certain people in positions of power there who definitely will not become supporters. And there are very solid reasons for that.

Advertisement

#1320 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,587 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:37

But but but.... no one watches Motor Sport any more.... Great numbers, show what is possible with promotion and free to air coverage.

Everyone in decision making position and I mean EVERYONE should note of how easy you can get eyeballs on the product, these numbers are an instant refute of the business model where sports are hidden behind pay walls.

Good on you W Series.

#1321 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,765 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:22

I wonder how that compares with the Sky F1 figures - on a weekend where they do not also broadcast it on their basic Sky package channels.

#1322 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:28

According to "motorsportbroadcasting.com" the 2019 Spanish GP averaged around 800,000 viewers during the race itself on Sky F1. Whereas Channel 4's highlights had 1.72 million viewers peak.

It was over 2.5 million viewers for the highlights in 2018.

MOD EDIT - Please link to the source: https://motorsportbr...s-year-on-year/

#1323 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:42

Enthusiastic though I am for good TV figures, there's always going to be a spike of interest for the first race in something that has been well promoted. I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed by a dip for subsequent rounds as those who weren't convinced by the first broadcast drop away, leaving those who remain as the base on which any real growth will become visible. 

However, that base will be larger and stronger the more viewers you have for the first round just by way of statistics so it's still great news that they've exceeded expectations. 

#1324 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,985 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:22

When does NBC sports start broadcasting the races ?
Jp

#1325 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:26

Well, there are certain people in positions of power there who definitely will not become supporters. And there are very solid reasons for that.

Yup!

#1326 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,028 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 14:33

But but but.... no one watches Motor Sport any more.... Great numbers, show what is possible with promotion and free to air coverage.

Everyone in decision making position and I mean EVERYONE should note of how easy you can get eyeballs on the product, these numbers are an instant refute of the business model where sports are hidden behind pay walls.

Good on you W Series.

But can they maintain those numbers? Was it a peak because it was something new or are they going to get that many eyeballs on the regular? Would be interesting to see the number for each race as the season goes on.

I haven't seen any of the stuff on C4 but had a look at the stuff on the youtube channel and noticed they didn't have many clicks (race highlights a few days old had less than 5K clicks) Spanish grand prix highlights 2M clicks

Edit: Beaten by Ben1445

Edited by 7MGTEsup, 22 May 2019 - 14:40.

#1327 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,587 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 15:35

But can they maintain those numbers? Was it a peak because it was something new or are they going to get that many eyeballs on the regular? Would be interesting to see the number for each race as the season goes on.

I haven't seen any of the stuff on C4 but had a look at the stuff on the youtube channel and noticed they didn't have many clicks (race highlights a few days old had less than 5K clicks) Spanish grand prix highlights 2M clicks

Edit: Beaten by Ben1445

There were 400.000 viewers on a new motor racing series... that can not be bad... let's not pain too gloomy a picture on a success - Remind me of the relative negative vibes from some parts towards Danica Patrick... she was a HUGE deal in the US, she made a HUGE impact on girls... all the Nascar drivers daughters wanted to meet her...for me the glass is always half full, never half empty.

#1328 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,828 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 17:41

^^^ THIS ^^^

Not everybody sees potential, but that has zero bearing on those who do.

400,000 is a HUGE start. That will only grow by season's end.

#1329 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 19:20

Enthusiastic though I am for good TV figures, there's always going to be a spike of interest for the first race in something that has been well promoted. I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed by a dip for subsequent rounds as those who weren't convinced by the first broadcast drop away, leaving those who remain as the base on which any real growth will become visible. 

However, that base will be larger and stronger the more viewers you have for the first round just by way of statistics so it's still great news that they've exceeded expectations. 

I did make this from a positive perspective. The take away should be not to be disheartened if they do drop for the next few races. It is a good start. 

#1330 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 321 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:10

Zolder race got 280,000 viewers, down by about 50k according to the Digital Spy forum's F1 broadcast thread, so this 400k for the opener must be the peak viewership with the avg around 330k.

#1331 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,765 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:11

If some of the 400,000 are new to motorsport they may tell all their friends and the figure might grow.

#1332 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,587 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:12

Zolder race got 280,000 viewers, down by about 50k according to the Digital Spy forum's F1 broadcast thread, so this 400k for the opener must be the peak viewership with the avg around 330k.

Let's see if there is a Jamie signed for Williams bounce back...

#1333 BRG

BRG

• 16,627 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:37

Surely the key point is how many of these viewers are female?  If they are mostly males, & probably existing racing fans, then it isn't such a great statistic.  And I suspect this may be the case - there's all us lot for a start!

#1334 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,587 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:44

Surely the key point is how many of these viewers are female?  If they are mostly males, & probably existing racing fans, then it isn't such a great statistic.  And I suspect this may be the case - there's all us lot for a start!

Regardless of gender it is a great statistic, as I wrote earlier in this thread. My wife know of my Motor Sport obsession, but have zero interest herself.. I told her about the first race in the W series, which then brought up and talked about at dinner with friends 2 days later... it was the first time ever she initiated a Motor Sport discussion, and she did it to tell the other girls how happy she was the series existed.

Even if all 400.000 viewers were male, at lest some of them will like me share with their significant others, the knowledge of W series will spread to some who never had any interest, I am 100% convinced some of them will be watching at least one race, I know for sure that my wife will watch at least some of the first race shown on NBC.

Again.... no doom, no gloom... glass is half full and filling.

#1335 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:45

That would make sense, would expect that to drop to maybe 200,000 before any climb starts. Still, if they'd started with 200,000 and then had an inevitable drop... 

#1336 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:48

My 7 year old daughter who normally doesn’t care much for racing watched some of the build up and the race, so at least it seems to be striking some cord with girls as opposed to generic racing. She said she didn’t know girls could race too. Shame the safety cars were too much for her patience, but nice to see and I’m happy for the first time she seems to have enjoyed watching a race. Normally she just wants me to change the channel to kids stuff :)

That single sentence is exactly what we want to hear. 

#1337 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,028 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49

Let's hope it doesn't slide like the last series of Doctor Who that started with 10.96 million views and ended with 6.65 million views by seasons end (40% drop over the season).

#1338 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:27

These figures match my prediction earlier in this thread (that I was pooh poohed for!) that this series has the potential to exceed Formula E and BTCC average live audience figures which both peak at around 350k.  In other words, W Series isn't far away from becoming the most watched live motorsport series on terrestrial TV in the UK and only behind F1 in all access terms. 

#1339 Imateria

Imateria

• 1,977 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:21

These figures match my prediction earlier in this thread (that I was pooh poohed for!) that this series has the potential to exceed Formula E and BTCC average live audience figures which both peak at around 350k.  In other words, W Series isn't far away from becoming the most watched live motorsport series on terrestrial TV in the UK and only behind F1 in all access terms. 

I'm not sure about that, we'll have to see how much it drops off for Misano.

Advertisement

#1340 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 248 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24

um, it's recognised in the FIA Super License though?

#1341 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:06

I'm not sure about that, we'll have to see how much it drops off for Misano.

I was thinking a little longer term than that...

#1342 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,683 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:10

What figures have FE peaking at 350k? Is that from one TV channel or combined channel(s) and internet streams? 

I only ask to clarify as it is available for UK viewers in multiple places.

#1343 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:41

What figures have FE peaking at 350k? Is that from one TV channel or combined channel(s) and internet streams? 

I only ask to clarify as it is available for UK viewers in multiple places.

Only comparing terrestrial, UK only.