* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• Please log in to reply
1342 replies to this topic

#101 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,528 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:01

Divina Galica is the only Brit, male or female, to ever achieve multiple podium finishes.

Then she went and did motorsport instead.

This had me baffled until I remembered she did horse jumpimg before she found cars :clap: What IS a 'multiple podium finish'?

Advertisement

#102 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,293 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:09

I think Mann and Floersch are voicing necessary criticism. There's good intent behind it, but I personally have doubts mainly about it being the best use of investment but also about what message it is sending out and how to control that.

It's intended to be a funded series (as you say hopefully temporary) in addition to other racing programs. That is easily true now, as those signing up have experience in other categories than this series - but will the same be true for the series duration? Will team owners be more reluctant to hire a female driver in, say F3 or F4, becasue they have their 'own series' elsewhere? Will that unintentionally carve out the segregated path that Mann and Floersch are wary of? Will such negative effects be noticed in time to stop them? It's playing with fire a little bit, IMHO.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather see a funded program within the existing ladder or incentives to teams to take on and develop young female drivers. If they're willing to fund a whole field of racing cars for 18 drivers in a brand new series and all the costs that come with that, why not help fund 18 (or more) drivers into seats in existing series? This series appears to be giving a large prize fund to the winner - great, but what about the rest of them? Why give that chance to one when you can give to multiple?

An example of an incentive to get teams to take on female drivers seems to be working for Jaime Chadwick and NIO FE - a test day rule of one car per team OR two if one entered driver is female has led them to include Chadwick on team training/building events and take on simulator work. The root idea is that the teams want to run two cars to gather more data, but can only do so with a female driver and so have incentive both to hire one and genuinely work with them for the mutual benefit. The result for Chadwick and NIO is a serious chance to get experience and a foot in the door of a top racing team - the kind that can lead to race seats if all goes well.

So for me 'W Series' is not the way I personally would go about this and I think Mann and Floersch have good grounds to say what they said. Perhaps all we can do is wait and see how this pans out...

Temporary for another reason... I understand this series is launching with a boat load of start up capital to operate the series and offer a massive prize - the free participation and potential prize being the enticement mechanism of the drivers. But they can't keep tipping in millions of dollars of funding every year, it obviously needs to become profitable to return on that investment. The only way that is going to be achieved is by monetising through sponsorship, content and broadcast.  I'm just not seeing their chances of scaling up quickly enough to deliver a return. My guess this will go pop in 1-3 seasons because the numbers just won't work. 

#103 E.B.

E.B.

• 4,381 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:38

This had me baffled until I remembered she did horse jumpimg before she found cars :clap: What IS a 'multiple podium finish'?

I was referring to World Cup alpine skiing actually! I meant that no other Brit has finished on the podium more than once - though Dave Ryding might do so in the near future.

#104 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:38

Temporary for another reason... I understand this series is launching with a boat load of start up capital to operate the series and offer a massive prize - the free participation and potential prize being the enticement mechanism of the drivers. But they can't keep tipping in millions of dollars of funding every year, it obviously needs to become profitable to return on that investment. The only way that is going to be achieved is by monetising through sponsorship, content and broadcast. I'm just not seeing their chances of scaling up quickly enough to deliver a return. My guess this will go pop in 1-3 seasons because the numbers just won't work.

Good observation Rinehart.
I’m wondering if they don’t have a good pan €uropean broadcast partner and an American deal as well... Will anyone notice?
YouTube highlights alone won’t cut the mustard.
Jp

#105 PeterScandlyn

PeterScandlyn

• 347 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:38

Addressing the thread title here......Which drivers aren't....?

#106 statman

statman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:29

Video: Meet the W series drivers

Edited by statman, 01 December 2018 - 14:11.

#107 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 604 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 13:28

Strong words from these two.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-28-at-21-55-27.png

Screen-Shot-2018-11-28-at-21-55-34.png

I read these at the time when Pippa and Sophia posted them. Even though I agree with most of the statement, the talk of segregation is over the top. It demeans what is otherwise an honourable take on the situation.

#108 Juanto

Juanto

• 155 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 13:35

Some pretty girls there too, and some may actually have a career in motorsport.

#109 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 604 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 14:12

The real issue is that there's a glass ceiling at around F3 level and that women are trying and failing to find funding for the next step up. Alice Powell is a good example. Clearly very quick but unable to put a budget together for anything other than regional FRenault series. Her time in GP3 was way too brief for the talent she has but the money wasn't there to carry on.

The winner of W Series gets a very healthy budget to make that next step up. That's what a driver like Powell needs. Once you get drivers graduating to and performing well in F2 or Super Formula via W Series, it shows potential sponsors that they wouldn't just be wasting their money by funding a woman. And once you break down that barrier, you become less and less reliant on the "segregated series".

That is a statement that can be said of most racers wanting to step up in the higher levels of motorsport, not just women/girls. There will a lot of people racing in the lower series that would love to move up but cannot afford to do so. There are also a lot of people who struggle to maintain budgets to continue to compete at the level they are already at.

The barrier in motorsport is and has always been money. Racing is an expensive hobby to take part in, if you can't put together a budget to allow you to do it then you are not being discriminated against or hard done by. No one has a right to race, no one has a right to other people's money to allow them to race. You have to fight for your chances and if you don't get them, tough.

How do you think that this is going to work in the real world. This series is doomed to failure,it is only going to haemorrhage money as it has no control of the environment outwith itself. Sure they may have minor successes by using the money to fund a racing seat in another category, but unless that girl/woman has the adequate talent and the ability to come up with a budget for herself (something that W shields her from), her racing career won't last for long.

If sponsors aren't prepared to spend money on a driver when they are competing in a competitive series that is well-established, why would they be willing to spend money on them after they have been in the W series, a series which lacks credibility and won't provide a representative example of the women's ability in a more competitive series?

W can gift some women/girls female privilege, but outside of that series, they are just another person competing for a seat in a racing car. Another person that has to provide not only financial backing but also the ability to get results. They need to do something that makes them stand out. W will make them stand out for all of the wrong reasons.

#110 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 604 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 14:24

Disappointing to see Jamie Chadwick's name on the list, she is clearly far above the level of this championship, but hey if she is accepted she gets a free seat and stands a good chance of winning.

It really isn't surprising to see Carmen Jorda's name on the list. She is desperate for attention, and quite frankly is lucky to get where she has. Being very attractive has certainly gone in her favour, because her talent doesn't account for the opportunities she has had.

Edited by JavierDeVivre, 04 December 2018 - 15:20.

#111 Berner

Berner

• 950 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 14:50

Surprised there isn't a lower age cut-off, like maybe 21 or even 23. The two Canadian nominees have super thin racing CVs. Did they forget to contact any francophone drivers in Canada?

#112 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 457 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 21:48

Surprised there isn't a lower age cut-off, like maybe 21 or even 23. The two Canadian nominees have super thin racing CVs. Did they forget to contact any francophone drivers in Canada?

There should be no age limits. This series should be about finding the best woman racer in the world. Otherwise there is no point and nobody will be interested.

#113 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:08

Some pretty girls there too

Was curious how long it would take until appearances were taken into consideration.
Jp

#114 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,111 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:31

Was curious how long it would take until appearances were taken into consideration.
Jp

More than I thought, less than I hoped.

#115 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 900 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:11

I read these at the time when Pippa and Sophia posted them. Even though I agree with most of the statement, the talk of segregation is over the top. It demeans what is otherwise an honourable take on the situation.

She did say that this was movement toward segregation not segregation itself which is true. By separating women out in the feeder series it's not a huge leap to creating a segregated series. 

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 06 December 2018 - 13:11.

#116 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 900 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:13

Jp

As if the female F1 audience hasn't spent 2 decades swooning over Nando.

#117 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 604 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:51

She did say that this was movement toward segregation not segregation itself which is true. By separating women out in the feeder series it's not a huge leap to creating a segregated series. 

Segregation is not the right word to describe it. Their decisions to continue in their current series proves it is not segregation.

Anybody seeking to climb through the feeder series in the higher ranking series will still have to compete in the series that act as feeders to get that chance anyway.

#118 statman

statman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:26

Hitech in W series:

http://www.hitechgp....gramme-in-2019/

#119 Beri

Beri

• 1,134 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:46

Great to see a team like Hitech taking this on. Albeit the only logical company to take this challenge on. They are the only ones that have tested the Tatuus F3 T-318 chassis for the Asian F3 championship since its debut in June this year. That is the same chassis that is going to be used in the W Series.

Advertisement

#120 statman

statman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 18:11

https://wseries.com/...enter-w-series/

Six new drivers added to the list.

Alessandra Brena, 23, Italy

Francesca Linossi, 26, Italy

Lyubov Andreyeva, 22, Kazakhstan

Gosia Rdest, 25, Poland

Inès Taittinger, 28, France

Alexandra Whitley, 25, Australia

60 total now

#121 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 526 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:53

Jp

Are you acting like it isn't a factor with male drivers? especially in F1? reality check required lol.

#122 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 900 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:41

There should be no age limits. This series should be about finding the best woman racer in the world. Otherwise there is no point and nobody will be interested.

But isn't that exactly what it's not supposed to be. This is meant to be a feeder series to give girls an opportunity to race F3 cars so they can take the next step up the ladder, not find the fastest female racer.

#123 Peat

Peat

• 3,986 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:13

Are you acting like it isn't a factor with male drivers? especially in F1? reality check required lol.

Robert Kubica. 

*mic drop*

#124 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 457 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 19:54

But isn't that exactly what it's not supposed to be. This is meant to be a feeder series to give girls an opportunity to race F3 cars so they can take the next step up the ladder, not find the fastest female racer.

Girls already have more opportunities than boys. They are rare and get chances that they don't deserve. While most boys are just thrown away.

Nobody will be interested if this is not promoted as some kind of women's championship. If they want to climb up the ladder they should beat all the best female drivers, not just some other young girls.

#125 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 20:12

Well 60 drivers are interested already. Doesn’t sound like nobody to me.

#126 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 457 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 20:20

I ment fans, spectators, TV companies, F1 teams...

Many of those interested drivers are over 25, some over 30. Including some of the best in the world. Doesn't sound like a feeder series to me, more like a championship.

#127 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,051 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 20:29

They got over one hundred applications. If men were allowed it would have been ten thousand. Apparently you don't even need experience beyond karts or good results. Who wouldn't apply for a free ride?

#128 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 23:00

I’m not gay so....You’ve missed the point.
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 28 December 2018 - 22:22.

#129 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 22:26

MeyerShank has the 4 best female racing drivers in the world on their IMSA team for the Rolex24.

https://twitter.com/...643759821275136

Beat that.
Jp

5-A2-F44-A2-80-E5-455-B-A1-FB-66792993-B

Edited by jonpollak, 05 January 2019 - 12:52.

#130 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 22:47

Bia just qualified P1 in GTD at Daytona.

BAM biatches
Jp

#131 BRG

BRG

• 16,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 15:16

BAM biatches
Jp

Yes, but think how much better she might do if she was corralled off in a women-only series that nobody gives a flying **** about?

#132 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 294 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 15:29

BAM biatches
Jp

So why exactly do women need a separate series again? Looks like they are doing rather well competing against men...

If only the W series promoters put their money into a Red Bull Junior type programme instead of this political correctness festival aka the W series, we might actually get more results like this.

#133 MargaretM37

MargaretM37

• 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 15:43

As if the female F1 audience hasn't spent 2 decades swooning over Nando.

Er, definitely not. And I don't care what the drivers look like - they have helmets on most of the time anyway! The only "talent" that I am interested in is their driving.

#134 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 22:30

My pal Anne Bradshaw is the main PR person.
Looks like the W Series will run with the DTM.
Good placement !
Jp

#135 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,028 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:27

Good placement !
Jp

I thought DTM was dead on it's feet?

#136 Owen

Owen

• 12,847 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:50

Good placement !
Jp

Matt Bishop, Anne Bradshaw, Penny Harrison. That is some PR team.

#137 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 604 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:51

If confirmation was needed, partnering with W series does just that.

A championship that was going strong would not want anything to do with such a poorly thought out series.

#138 statman

statman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 16:35

Hankook as official tyre partner

#139 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:09

So.. When is this 'qualifying' thing taking place?

Advertisement

#140 Beri

Beri

• 1,134 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:16

Pretty soon me thinks..

https://twitter.com/...908591293345793

#141 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 2,884 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:21

Should be this week(end?) in Melk according to https://wseries.com/meet-the-melkman/

#142 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 373 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 20:33

Yes, Gosia Rdest wrote in her FB that it starts tomorrow and ends on monday.

#143 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 23:43

Thanks Gregorz
Jp

#144 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,111 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:21

No way dude. Mercedes exit to the side, the last 4-5 years have seen mega racing in the series and it's only getting better. Also the tie-in with Super GT can only bring good things.

Give it a chance this season, races are live on Youtube.

#145 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 272 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 18:20

No way dude. Mercedes exit to the side, the last 4-5 years have seen mega racing in the series and it's only getting better. Also the tie-in with Super GT can only bring good things.

Give it a chance this season, races are live on Youtube.

They absolutely nailed the regs in 2018. The loss of overly complicated aerodynamic parts (like Audi’s wheel arches) helped a lot, they finally got rid of the performance weights permanently, and they had sensible DRS rules that led to great racing in the latter parts of the races, particularly at Hockenheim. Most drivers had at least one stand-out performance, mixing up the front of the field on a regular basis. I particularly enjoyed Dani Juncadella’s moments of brilliance, as he thoroughly deserved a break last year (even though he was robbed of a well deserved second win in Austria after a remarkable performance).

In a way, it’s a shame they had to scrap it all again after one year. 2018 was the best year for DTM in this decade (and I’m not just saying that because my favourite driver won the championship).

Regarding the DTM & W Series tie-up, it makes sense for all parties. DTM gets to fill another slot on their supporting schedule (which they desperately needed after a sometimes miserable 2018 and actually looks really strong this year), and the W Series gets access to some of the best and most challenging racetracks in Europe on the back of a series that is still hugely popular and actually affordable to go to. Whether it works out remains to be seen, but on paper, it definitely works.

#146 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,422 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 14:29

Schreiner will not race W Series as there are too many date collisions with GT Masters she will compete in.

#147 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,006 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 21:55

Date collisions!!!

I’ve had a few of those in my life.
Jp

#148 RobNNN

RobNNN

• 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 18:05

Mrs Blenkinsop.

She drives at about 60mph around the estate roads near where I live, has been nicked innumerable times and banned intermittently, yet there is not a mark on her. She must be pretty good.

I think she's in her seventies now, but let's not be ageist.

:p

Edited by RobNNN, 26 January 2019 - 18:06.

#149 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 373 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 20:10

Looks like a very busy day at track in Melk (perhaps Wachauring). From Gosia Rdest FB: she is in 'Monaco' group, 5 modules today: car control, smooth ride, presentation, W-series (making a video, photography), team. From 8 AM to 9 PM on track, tomorrow same hours. Only W-series personel and drivers on track - no accompanying persons allowed.

#150 A3

A3

• 28,596 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 21:02

So from the 5 categories only 2 are about the driving? :confused: