* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• Please log in to reply
2055 replies to this topic

#1901 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 598 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:23

Of the drivers improving over the season I think one notable one is Jessica Hawkins, she looked nowhere (from what I remember) in the first three rounds, was competitive in round 4 before breaking down before two solid 7th places in the final rounds means she squeaks into the top 12 and can automatically return next year.

Also will be good to see what Powell and Kimilainen can do next season now they've both had some racing under their belts in 2019. 

4 Podiums and 2 DNFs for Powell and Emma had a great recovery from missing two races are ones who I expect to be battling for the title in 2020 alongside Visser and Chadwick if they all return. 

Advertisement

#1902 statman

statman

• 4,556 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:28

the female CEO said:

• they will have def. more races next year (this could either mean more venues or more races per weekend)
  • from 2021 they will go to the USA and Asia
  • new group of drivers will be tested in Spain in September

Chadwick said that she might be back next year, the Super License points make it interesting for her.

#1903 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:29

interesting to see who will be tested. Belen Garcia perhaps, a race winner in Spanish Formula 4.

#1904 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:38

With no advertising on the cars and the only income from TV, next year has got to repay the investment.  I'm sure they're come back a lot more professionally than we've seen with longer races and more airtime.  The TV broadcasts need to be improved for starters.

I expect all of the top 12 to return, if only for the potential payday.  Alice Powell might be able to dump her decorators overalls !

#1905 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,844 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:42

I’d like more recognizable liveries...please.
Jp

#1906 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,972 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:48

Chadwick, Powell, Kimiläinen and Visser do seem a bit in a step ahead of everyone else.

Garcia had a reasonable fightback after her poor qualifying - her season did go off the boil a little after her win at the Norisring. 

Gilkes wasn't able to turn her reverse grid win in to any sort of momentum - I wonder if the'll take the win as a sign she has potential let down by her inexperience as the youngest on the grid, and give her another shot next year? It'll be interesting to see how many of those who didn't make the Top-12 cut manage to get through the selection process for a second shot. On the one hand there's got to be a strong urge to invite a load of new faces to try and find the rare gem but on the other you don't want a reputation for not giving second chances.

#1907 BRG

BRG

• 16,783 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:32

I’d like more recognizable liveries...please.
Jp

What's the matter, don't you like yellow and mauve?  Or mauve and yellow.  There's a limited budget and green paint is costly.

Claire Cottingham is excruciating.  Saying 'Jamie Chadwick will be champion' every 30 seconds is NOT commentating.  Surely they could get a female lead commentator who is at least vaguely competent?  Or preferably, one who is actually good. 

Still not sure about this series.  Most of the field look a bit average, which is worrying considering the competition to get a place.  The stand out drivers are not really looking like great talents.  I don't see any of them being able to hold their own in, say, F2.  But maybe a few more years will bring about a change.  I still think the best place for an up and coming female racer to show her worth is with the other up and coming racers, not in a ghetto.

#1908 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,548 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:33

They did quietly declare independence? How strange.

She has had part of the flag in her helmet for several years I think.

#1909 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,024 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:35

Give them a place before the F1 races and follow the whole calendar. That's the right setup if you want to deliver a female F1 driver.

#1910 Piif

Piif

• 1,291 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:38

This is actually a pretty interesting series. Liberty Media should definetely integrate it to tha F1 weekend when possible.

#1911 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:38

Give them a place before the F1 races and follow the whole calendar. That's the right setup if you want to deliver a female F1 driver.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, they should be supporting a diverse set of races all around the globe. Support F1 for a bit, support WEC, support IndyCar or IMSA, SuperFormula, V8 supercars. That’s the right set up if you want to deliver more women in all categories of motorsport.

Edited by Vielleicht, 11 August 2019 - 16:39.

#1912 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:50

Still not sure about this series. Most of the field look a bit average, which is worrying considering the competition to get a place. The stand out drivers are not really looking like great talents. I don't see any of them being able to hold their own in, say, F2. But maybe a few more years will bring about a change. I still think the best place for an up and coming female racer to show her worth is with the other up and coming racers, not in a ghetto.

I was completely in the ‘I’d rather support female racers in existing series’ camp when this all started. What I underestimated was the power that visibility and showcasing can have. It means a huge amount to see a full field of women doing something in which they are usually a minority and doing it well - in a way not really understandable to men who watch motorsport, I don’t think. We’ve seen talent from drivers with careers that were otherwise written off who now have their names back in the right circles, like Powell. We’ve got younger drivers who hadn’t really made a big impact anywhere else show what they can do, like Garcia. They’ve also been able to do it on a very fair platform which doesn’t depend on the size of you or your backers wallet, unlike the rest of motorsport. I was at the track today and there was a young girl with her mum who had come along to see them race and getting excited about it all - that was really heartening for me.

I’m still uncomfortable about the segregation, but I’ve really come around to some of the other benefits it has brought. As long as the aim remains to not need a W Series in the future, I think we’ll be ok.

Edited by Vielleicht, 11 August 2019 - 19:32.

#1913 Piif

Piif

• 1,291 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 17:03

Well put Veilleicht. That's exactly why this series is worth it. My daughter couldn't see herself ever racing professionally until this thing came along and gave her hope that yeah, it actually kinda is possible. Think of the lost talents that are out of motorsport simply because how things have been for, since, forever.

#1914 FLB

FLB

• 10,025 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 17:09

That's exactly why this series is worth it. My daughter couldn't see herself ever racing professionally until this thing came along and gave her hope that yeah, it actually kinda is possible.

That's absolutely TERRIFIC  :up:  It's the whole point of the series.

#1915 messy

messy

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 17:19

I’m delighted for Alice Powell - she deserved a win badly after this season. Classy. Very successful racing comeback, all in all - proving that she’s as fast as the likes of Chadwick and Visser. I’d love her to really benefit from the increased profile from this series - I think she’s exactly the type of ‘lost talent’ this series wanted, isn’t she?

Happy for Chadwick too, but I don’t think it’s been the convincing, vintage title domination we’d expected at Hockenheim. If anything, she’s fizzled our while the likes of Kimilainen, Garcia and Powell have stepped up. She’s won it, she’s got the £500k and she’s got a Williams simulator role so she’s come out of it pretty well, but I hoped for more personally, somehow. Given her recent experience in this car or very similar cars, the way she looked on another level to the rest through the Hockenheim weekend....what happened?

It’s good for the strength in depth of the series though, which I think is a lot better than I thought it would be after the opener. I’m still not sure I’m a fan of this concept, to be honest. I think for it to work, the best drivers HAVE to move on or it’s defeating its purpose. This isn’t a ‘main event’ type series - it’s a junior series, a conveyor belt of drivers moving up to better things. If it somehow becomes its own entity, a home for the best female racing drivers to come back year after year and the top level for them....that’s no good. Young girls need to be able to believe they can get to F1 and be the next Lando Norris just as much as boys.

Edited by messy, 11 August 2019 - 17:22.

#1916 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 17:27

I’m getting mild goosebumps thinking about Powell and that overtake for the win. If ever there was someone who thought their racing days were done and then giving it all when given a second chance, that was it. Just fantastic really.

#1917 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,578 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 18:20

For all the media attention this series has received, I can't shrug off a feeling of indifference towards it. I don't wish to be unkind, but from what I've seen up to now, there's not a single driver on this year's grid that I'd bet on ever starting an F1 race. They're either too old, or just nowhere near F1 material.

Some of them might go on to have careers in other categories, in which case, good for them. But when this series is all about getting a female to F1...it just feels underwhelming.

As for Chadwick, congratulations where it is due. But I'll wait to get too excited until she wins against some more challenging competition in, say, F3 or F2. As noted, to say she probably remains the best female prospect in motorsport right now, it hasn't been an entirely convincing coronation. Jury's still out.

One day, there will be a female driver talented enough that she doesn't need to compete in an "all female" series to get to F1. At which point, W Series will increasingly be seen as really rather pointless, I'd imagine.

#1918 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 18:45

For all the media attention this series has received, I can't shrug off a feeling of indifference towards it. I don't wish to be unkind, but from what I've seen up to now, there's not a single driver on this year's grid that I'd bet on ever starting an F1 race. They're either too old, or just nowhere near F1 material.

Some of them might go on to have careers in other categories, in which case, good for them. But when this series is all about getting a female to F1...it just feels underwhelming.

If you go on the W-Series website, they don't really state anywhere that the plan is to 'get a female into F1'. The taglines are about 'Changing the Face of Motorsport' or 'Rethink Racing'. 

If W Series means over the next decade we have more women in other categories and more young girls inspired to try out being a racing driver but no female F1 driver (yet) are we really going to stick to such an unbelievably high standard and call the whole thing a failure?  

One day, there will be a female driver talented enough that she doesn't need to compete in an "all female" series to get to F1. At which point, W Series will increasingly be seen as really rather pointless, I'd imagine.

Yeah, and how many times has this been said in the last few decades? Yet all we do to find this one person who will apparently change everything is sit back and say 'it'll happen.. one day...'

Well, W Series is trying to make that one day actually happen. If more women try out racing because of W Series, there's a much higher chance of finding 'the one' then if it didn't exist. How can that possibly be a bad thing? 

#1919 Lights

Lights

• 16,279 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 18:46

As for Chadwick, congratulations where it is due. But I'll wait to get too excited until she wins against some more challenging competition in, say, F3 or F2. As noted, to say she probably remains the best female prospect in motorsport right now, it hasn't been an entirely convincing coronation. Jury's still out.

I think you're misunderstanding the series a bit. Sure, it's partially about giving this grid of girls a boost in development, cash, and media attention. And it's only logical that there's talk about getting a female to F1, but to be fair they never said when.

W Series' long term goal is to increase awareness worldwide that girls can race, and that young girls see a racing driver as something they can aspire to be. This inaugural season is just the very beginning of that. it's a snowball effect that can take many years before it makes a noticeable difference. So be it, it has to start somewhere.

And indeed in that sense this series goal in a way is to make itself useless. There's however no problem with that.

Advertisement

#1920 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 18:54

Felt sorry for Esmee Hawkey, she had the pace to win the race, but for her error in being a foot over the grid line - which cost her both in stalling and in having a drive-thru.  She was carving through the field despite the stall and was heading for the single digits until she had to go to the back yet again.  Maybe that performance will be enough to get her a second go.

#1921 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,972 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:01

Out of curiosity, I checked the scores in the second half of the season after Kimilainen returned. 

jbeygus.jpg

Kimilainen top, Powell outscored Chadwick even with a DNF, 

Edited by MrAerodynamicist, 11 August 2019 - 19:01.

#1922 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,459 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:14

Another good point about the series is that I now know who Garcia, Kimilainen, Wohlwend, etc even are.

#1923 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,578 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:25

If you go on the W-Series website, they don't really state anywhere that the plan is to 'get a female into F1'. The taglines are about 'Changing the Face of Motorsport' or 'Rethink Racing'. 

If W Series means over the next decade we have more women in other categories and more young girls inspired to try out being a racing driver but no female F1 driver (yet) are we really going to stick to such an unbelievably high standard and call the whole thing a failure?  

Yeah, and how many times has this been said in the last few decades? Yet all we do to find this one person who will apparently change everything is sit back and say 'it'll happen.. one day...'

Well, W Series is trying to make that one day actually happen. If more women try out racing because of W Series, there's a much higher chance of finding 'the one' then if it didn't exist. How can that possibly be a bad thing? 

With all due respect, that's just a load of nonsensical PR speak. What does "rethink racing" even mean? Why does it need rethinking anyway?

It's clear, to me, that they wish to "change" the fact that there hasn't been a female driver in F1 in however many years. That has felt from the very start like it is ultimately the series' mission. If it isn't, then why are they using open wheel cars instead of touring cars or GTs? After all, you've got a far better chance of having a career in categories like those than you have of getting to F1, regardless of whether you're a man or a woman.

So yes, if the series fails to achieve its pretty evident goal, it will be a failure.

I'd argue that one of the most unique and cool elements of racing is that men and women can compete alongside each other, it's one of (very) few sports where it is possible. I have never understand why women need to be segregated in motorsport, and I respect those, like Pippa Mann, who were vocal critics of the idea.

I don't know why there has to be a great fuss about finding a female F1 star. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, is it really such an issue? Motorsport by its definition is always likely to be more popular with men than women. But of course women can compete in motorsport. You have to be pretty stupid to believe otherwise...

#1924 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:28

Happy for Chadwick too, but I don’t think it’s been the convincing, vintage title domination we’d expected at Hockenheim. If anything, she’s fizzled our while the likes of Kimilainen, Garcia and Powell have stepped up. She’s won it, she’s got the £500k and she’s got a Williams simulator role so she’s come out of it pretty well, but I hoped for more personally, somehow. Given her recent experience in this car or very similar cars, the way she looked on another level to the rest through the Hockenheim weekend....what happened?

Been thinking this one over a bit.

Chadwick did start really strongly - two wins and a second place in the first three races and the championship lead, then after that it was two third places and a 4th. To watch in real time it all it feels a bit like a fade away - but she was dead consistent and was always there or there abouts every weekend. I think it's much more explainable by the classic title run of, after a strong start, approaching the second half of the season much more conservatively and settling for solid high-scoring positions rather than going for wins and risking throwing it all away. Many a title has been won this way over the years after all.

The thing with Chadwick is she has a British GT Class Championship, an MRF title, N24 class win and now W Series title... so whatever she's doing, it is working. It's not like she's always coming up a little short and the W Series was supposed to be the time it finally came together. She's able to put together a string of wins and titles in multiple forms of racing. She may not set the world alight with dominant performances whilst doing so, but the results keep coming one way or another.

Also she's only just turend 21, so I get the feeling there's more to come yet!

Edited by Vielleicht, 11 August 2019 - 19:33.

#1925 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:30

Motorsport by its definition is always likely to be more popular with men than women. But of course women can compete in motorsport. You have to be pretty stupid to believe otherwise...

What definition is that then :confused:

Edited by Vielleicht, 11 August 2019 - 19:31.

#1926 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,278 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:45

I was completely in the ‘I’d rather support female racers in existing series’ camp when this all started. What I underestimated was the power that visibility and showcasing can have. It means a huge amount to see a full field of women doing something in which they are usually a minority and doing it well - in a way not really understandable to men who watch motorsport, I don’t think. We’ve seen talent from drivers with careers that were otherwise written off who now have their names back in the right circles, like Powell. We’ve got younger drivers who hadn’t really made a big impact anywhere else show what they can do, like Garcia. They’ve also been able to do it on a very fair platform which doesn’t depend on the size of you or your backers wallet, unlike the rest of motorsport. I was at the track today and there was a young girl with her mum who had come along to see them race and getting excited about it all - that was really heartening for me.

I’m still uncomfortable about the segregation, but I’ve really come around to some of the other benefits it has brought. As long as the aim remains to not need a W Series in the future, I think we’ll be ok.

I turned from not liking, to think the best new series for years (I detest Formula E), the performance of the drivers have been good across the top 10, I do not think any of the drivers were made to look without talent, in any series there will be some who are at the front more than others, and some who are more towards the rear that others.

5 different winners is really, really good - I always considered Alice Powell over hyped, and not really having 'it', I stand thoroughly corrected. 

Hopefully they can continue the momentum, hopefully they can add races, would be great if they could share at least one F1 meet..

I do not think expecting any of them in F1 is really the aim, it is a series which have highlighted the talent of a group of drivers, same as F4, F3, F2 highlight of a field of drivers, I would like the 5 winners to be in F3 next season, which I know will not happen, the obvious one driver to mange that would be Chadwick, who I think would field a credible campaign, results somewhere between Fabio Scherer and Nikita Troitskiy's 2018 season.

:cool: .

#1927 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:49

It's clear, to me, that they wish to "change" the fact that there hasn't been a female driver in F1 in however many years. That has felt from the very start like it is ultimately the series' mission. If it isn't, then why are they using open wheel cars instead of touring cars or GTs? After all, you've got a far better chance of having a career in categories like those than you have of getting to F1, regardless of whether you're a man or a woman

Most feeder categories are open wheel, no? Doesnt mean that you then cant advance to other form of motor racing.

That aside open wheel and thus a losely connection to F1 is probably attracting more awarness, which is what imo the point of this series is.

What definition is that then :confused:

I mean that's not this difficult to tell, no? There certainly are plenty of woman who care about motorsport, but regardless what you do more men will care for it. Just like rhythmic gymnastics will always be largely a female competition because always more women will care fir it, even if some men practice it too.

#1928 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 20:05

I mean that's not this difficult to tell, no? There certainly are plenty of woman who care about motorsport, but regardless what you do more men will care for it. Just like rhythmic gymnastics will always be largely a female competition because always more women will care fir it, even if some men practice it too.

There's nothing in the defintion of what motorsport is that says men will typically like it more then women. It may be a societal norm (and, importantly, those can change) - but that is a very, very different thing to a definition.

#1929 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 20:14

With all due respect, that's just a load of nonsensical PR speak. What does "rethink racing" even mean? Why does it need rethinking anyway?

It's clear, to me, that they wish to "change" the fact that there hasn't been a female driver in F1 in however many years. That has felt from the very start like it is ultimately the series' mission. If it isn't, then why are they using open wheel cars instead of touring cars or GTs? After all, you've got a far better chance of having a career in categories like those than you have of getting to F1, regardless of whether you're a man or a woman.

So yes, if the series fails to achieve its pretty evident goal, it will be a failure.

Bit of an 'I reject their reality and substitute my own' there, so, fine. Whatever. 

I was just pointing out that they don't actually state that a woman in F1 is the make-or-break goal for W Series. It is you who has decided that and imposed that on them, and that post displays that incredibly well.

I don't know why there has to be a great fuss about finding a female F1 star. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, is it really such an issue? Motorsport by its definition is always likely to be more popular with men than women. But of course women can compete in motorsport. You have to be pretty stupid to believe otherwise...

I see you are very much in the nature camp of nature vs nurture, then...

Do you see no merit at all in how being able to see people like you doing something makes you more likely to want to do it? Is there nothing in the anecdotes surfacing here and elsewhere of parents saying that their young daughters did not even think about possibly being a racing driver until W Series showed them 20 women doing it? That's all just irrelevant, is it? 

#1930 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 20:20

A day of sunshine at the wonderful Brands Hatch, support races including a round of the DTM and a buzzing horde of ancient Minis, and the main event for me - W Series. What a race. Wow! Or perhaps it should be Pow! Against my predictions, a lot of passes up and down the field, and the incomparable sight of racing drivers in single seaters absolutely on it.

Early in the thread I tipped Powell and Chadwick to top the series, and I still think they do, though Kimilainen, Visser and perhaps Garcia (if she finds consistency) are up there too.

At the risk of sparking controversy, I do sense a difference between men and women racing at this level. On TV and at the circuit, I haven't seen in W Series the tedious chopping across someone as soon as they attempt a pass which has become the norm in racing, and is surely a contributor to the lack of overtaking in single seaters.

Anyway, others can argue whether the series is "necessary" or not. All I know is I've enjoyed every race and it's been great.

#1931 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 20:27

I kind of see W Series as a celebration or showcase of current female drivers, making them so much more visible then they were and hopefully in turn helping them into existing series and inspiring a new, larger, better generation of female drivers into the sport. It's quite simple really and I'd like to enjoy it for being that and seeing what comes of it.

All of the noise about getting a woman into F1 is missing the mark in my view. If they wanted to do that they'd just have to wave enough money at a team in need of a cash boost and hey presto. The investement into W Series alone could possibly have made that happen for someone.

The approach from W Series seems to try and make something like that happen more organically by growing a base interest. And I can't see anything wrong with doing that at all.

Another good point about the series is that I now know who Garcia, Kimilainen, Wohlwend, etc even are.

Yeah, I like this a lot too.

#1932 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 20:41

A day of sunshine at the wonderful Brands Hatch, support races including a round of the DTM and a buzzing horde of ancient Minis, and the main event for me - W Series. What a race. Wow! Or perhaps it should be Pow! Against my predictions, a lot of passes up and down the field, and the incomparable sight of racing drivers in single seaters absolutely on it.

Yes! Definitely! I swear you could feel the determination radiating from the likes of Powell today, it was just brilliant.

#1933 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 20:53

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-21-51-19.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-04-00.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-14-47.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-17-53.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-14-37.png

Edited by Vielleicht, 11 August 2019 - 21:18.

#1934 JBJ

JBJ

• 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 21:01

Claire Cottingham is excruciating.  Saying 'Jamie Chadwick will be champion' every 30 seconds is NOT commentating.  Surely they could get a female lead commentator who is at least vaguely competent?  Or preferably, one who is actually good. 

It's a step up from "We're making history here" every 30 seconds during the first race

#1935 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 21:10

This is just everything really....

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-09-28.png

#1936 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,459 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 22:07

Beautiful. Racing is life.

#1937 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 22:08

Wandered into the paddock after the race and the first four drivers were in one of Brands' event buggies, waiting to be carted away somewhere. Powell and Chadwick sat back to back with Kimilainen and Visser. Total width of the smiles was about 1km.

#1938 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 22:26

What they need to do now, to make the entrants look better, is recruit Alonso to take part next year as a benchmark, but have Honda fettle his engine so he tools around in 18th place or so. 

#1939 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 22:34

I kind of see W Series as a celebration or showcase of current female drivers, making them so much more visible then they were and hopefully in turn helping them into existing series and inspiring a new, larger, better generation of female drivers into the sport. It's quite simple really and I'd like to enjoy it for being that and seeing what comes of it.

All of the noise about getting a woman into F1 is missing the mark in my view. If they wanted to do that they'd just have to wave enough money at a team in need of a cash boost and hey presto. The investement into W Series alone could possibly have made that happen for someone.

The approach from W Series seems to try and make something like that happen more organically by growing a base interest. And I can't see anything wrong with doing that at all.

A pay driver pays a F1 team around £20m for a season and it frequently ends there - as I expect will happen to Kubica.  W Series has spent less and helped 20 drivers, given them great publicity and an opportunity to live the dream.  Who gives a toss if none of this crop become F1 drivers, look at the numbers, there are thousands of drivers who set out of get there, only 5 or so a year succeed.  Jeez, even Red Bull can't pick winners.

Advertisement

#1940 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 22:35

What they need to do now, to make the entrants look better, is recruit Alonso to take part next year as a benchmark, but have Honda fettle his engine so he tools around in 18th place or so. 

I know they expect blood from drivers, but giving their goolies...

#1941 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 22:45

Motorsport by its definition is always likely to be more popular with men than women.

The same thinking stopped women playing football for 70 years and kept them out of numerous other sports.  It was all cobblers led by sad old men who didn't want women joining their club. They've only got the hairy leg & bare breast club for inadequates left.

#1942 statman

statman

• 4,556 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:58

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-09-28.png

EBsdFawXkAAfnhj.jpg

EBnS1uBXYAAkQiy.jpg

EBr43r_W4AArcMs.jpg

#1943 messy

messy

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:13

How would we rank the drivers after season 1, then?

I’d go

1. Alice Powell
2. Jamie Chadwick
3. Emma Kimilainen
4. Beitske Visser
5. Marta Garcia

Garcia, Koyama and Wohlwend were strange - all started the season really well then lost it towards the end.

#1944 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:54

I’d go

1. Alice Powell
2. Jamie Chadwick
3. Emma Kimilainen
4. Beitske Visser
5. Marta Garcia

Garcia, Koyama and Wohlwend were strange - all started the season really well then lost it towards the end.

So would I.

(How to kill a forum - agree with people). Except I'd say that Koyama and Wohlwend were consistently erratic. Koyama summarised that yesterday in one incident: sheer brilliance in traversing the Paddock gravel without stopping or reaching the barrier, but why was she there in the first place?

(Note: edited because I typed the word "he", which is not permitted on this thread).

Edited by Sterzo, 12 August 2019 - 08:56.

#1945 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:04

Powell has showed over the past year that she never really deserved to have her career stall the way it did.

She was the VIP driver in the first ever Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy race, her first race in about three years, and went out there and greatly impressed. She was the most impressive VIP driver of the season for me hands down.

Then W Series got going and she’s consistently impressive at every race. It was a first turn accident in Misano and a car failure at the Norisring really stopped her from being in the title hunt.

She drives like it’s the last time she’ll ever drive a racing car in anger, because she thought that she’d already had that race. I hope she can use the lifeline of the third place prize money and platform this series has offered her to get her racing somewhere that she wants to be, doing what she loves to do.

(Edit: Here's the full eTrophy race from November 2018. First Powell appearance is at 07:19 and race start is about 15 minutes in) 

Edited by Ben1445, 12 August 2019 - 09:16.

#1946 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,765 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:11

To be honest, I can't say I could judge the drivers after only six races. After six races of a traditional European Formula 3 season, we'd have only finished round two by now and have eight rounds to go. Several drivers had great moments - but who would have sustained the good form across a normal season? I really wish we could have found out. If the top handful of drivers stay on (I hope Chadwick gets a decent offer in another series and, therefore, doesn't defend her title), at least we'll have a clearer idea.

#1947 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:25

To be honest, I can't say I could judge the drivers after only six races. After six races of a traditional European Formula 3 season, we'd have only finished round two by now and have eight rounds to go. Several drivers had great moments - but who would have sustained the good form across a normal season? I really wish we could have found out. If the top handful of drivers stay on (I hope Chadwick gets a decent offer in another series and, therefore, doesn't defend her title), at least we'll have a clearer idea.

Yeah I know what you mean, although they did visit six different venues for those six races rather than two so I think we learned a little more than we would have done in two rounds of traditional European Formula 3. It's more like taking the first race from the first six rounds and ignoring races 2 and 3 for each meeting. 

It was still too short though to make comprehensive judgements though. We've got an impression of who was fast and who was not but you are right about not seeing who can sustain that performance across a longer season. I can agree with the top drivers generally being Powell, Chadwick, Kimilainen, Visser and Garcia but I'm much less keen to put a firm order on them. 

#1948 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:41

Well, I guess 2020 may look like that :

• Battle for the win : Kimilainen/Powell
  • Battle for 3rd : Chadwick/Visser
  • Battle for 5th : Garcia/Wohlwend/Hawkins/Hawkey/Cook
  • Battle for 8th : Hawkey/Cook/Koyama/Moore/Piria/Pepper

the only annoying thing about the W series is that those streams don't work in an area when there's a tv deal in place. My provider doesn't show quali, something else is programmed, but I also can't view the official stream (because it's assumed I should watch it through my tv provider)

always have to use live timing.

I'm late, but for next year, try Opera browser, it goes with a free VPN, and it may help a lot to unlock some Geo-blocked contents.

Edited by ArcticRacing, 12 August 2019 - 09:42.

#1949 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,972 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:06

I’d go

1. Alice Powell
2. Jamie Chadwick
3. Emma Kimilainen
4. Beitske Visser
5. Marta Garcia

Ignoring the non championship reverse grid race....

Wohlwend was 6, 7, 3, 4, 15, 5. The bad result was after breaking her wing on an overtake attempt. I'd say that was fairly constent around the 'best of the rest' group.

Koyama was 7, 8, 4, 6, DNF, 15. She got better at qualifying only to introduce race mistakes (crash at Assen, out of grid position, trip through the gravel, spin, cocking up turning the car around). The grid thing was probably just a random mistake on an unusual sloping grid but one that snowball as she tried too hard to recover.

Garcia was 3, 4, 6, 1, 9, 8. That was a drop off but as already mentioned it's a bit difficult to draw firm conclusion with so few races. A real trend or just a bit of noise?

#1950 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,972 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:21

Well, I guess 2020 may look like that :

• Battle for the win : Kimilainen/Powell
  • Battle for 3rd : Chadwick/Visser
  • Battle for 5th : Garcia/Wohlwend/Hawkins/Hawkey/Cook
  • Battle for 8th : Hawkey/Cook/Koyama/Moore/Piria/Pepper
If Hawkey gets invited back, which isn't guaranteed. Was Brands a turning point in her performance or a freak result from 'home soil' advantage?