W Series 2019

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2352 replies to this topic

#151 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 377 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:31

So from the 5 categories only 2 are about the driving? :confused:

There are 60 drivers and only one track. Smooth ride included a lap of the track using only 6th gear.

Today Gosia started with fitness test and then her group of 7 girls moved to track.

Edited by GrzegorzChyla, 27 January 2019 - 11:31.

Advertisement

#152 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,184 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:02

In every academy, they have a lot of media and physical training.

#153 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,465 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:33

The important question is not so much what they incorporate in the various assessment sessions, but how they weight the results. In the end, If a driver is fast, consistent and good at technical feedback, all the other stuff is comparatively unimportant.

#154 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,421 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:55

When do we get the results of who gets in?
Jp

#155 Beri

Beri

• 1,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:13

Prolly in about a week or so? My two cents.

#156 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 3,258 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:06

Later today? https://wseries.com/...c-announcement/

Edited by thegforcemaybewithyou, 28 January 2019 - 06:07.

#157 RA2

RA2

• 1,253 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:24

They should televise it like American Idol

#158 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,161 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:36

I didn't realise this was a light entertainment program, I though all these women came with racing credentials? I'm starting to lose sight of what this is meant to be about. I didn't realise it was a free for all just put your name down and try to blag your way in X factor style.

#159 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,803 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 13:05

Let's see how much politics will play a role in driver selection.  Hard to imagine the "highly influential" Carmen Jorda would be denied a seat, even though we all know she doesn't race worth a penny.  I also suspect we'll see one or two "big market" drivers (i.e. one of the Indians, and probably the Chinese and/or Japanese) in the final field.

I find the selection process fairly ridiculous.  The only meaningful way would be to have them all compete in something like 3 days of heat races, with a final race each day, then tally up the points at the end of 3 days, and the top rankers are IN.  This really does reek a bit too much of a pageant.

Advertisement

#160 ANF

ANF

• 10,431 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 14:39

They should televise it like American Idol

Apparently, David Coulthard's TV production company is on it already. Just like I thought.

#161 CSF

CSF

• 884 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 14:42

The selection process is a little strange for me, especially given most of the names you recognise have competed at a good level before. Skidding in a ford fiesta? Hmmmm. 

#162 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 3,258 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 15:56

28 drivers have been selected and will participate in a further test in March where the final 20 will be found.

The list can be seen here: https://wseries.com/...the-next-stage/

#163 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:29

No Carmen, then...

#164 Lights

Lights

• 16,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:31

The big irony now being that Carmen Jorda couldn't be competitive against men, played the gender card and called for a woman only series, and now that's there she's deemed not good enough to join even that.

#165 statman

statman

• 4,898 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:34

Header-announcement-1024x550.jpg

#166 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 601 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:37

The big irony now being that Carmen Jorda couldn't be competitive against men, played the gender card and called for a woman only series, and now that's there she's deemed not good enough to join even that.

Apparently she wasn’t even at the qualifying event. A rare moment of self-reflection perhaps?

#167 Lights

Lights

• 16,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:45

Apparently she wasn’t even at the qualifying event. A rare moment of self-reflection perhaps?

Ok I can't find any information about that whatsoever. She was on the list of 55 and now isn't on the list of 28, that's all I'm basing this on. Why wouldn't she be there? 

#168 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 536 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:47

She was doing something with the Formula E thing I believe.

Maybe it's better she doesn't participate, some of the drivers they've selected this weekend are definitely worse in an F3 car than Carmen Jorda and we all know her results against men... Her winning the W series would be a PR disaster. 

#169 CSF

CSF

• 884 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 17:05

Chances of Jorda being in automatically, and some kind of guest driver every race to round it up to 30? 

#170 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 17:07

GO, SABRÉ!

#171 FLB

FLB

• 10,357 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 17:28

There are some fairly serously experienced (and quick) drivers on that list:

Beitske Visser

Sarah Bovy

Jamie Chadwick

Vicky Piria

Shea Holbrook

Fabienne Wohlwend

I look at the list and the feeling I'm getting is that I'm looking at a bunch of future GT drivers (IMSA, FIA WEC, Blancpain et al.)

Edited by FLB, 28 January 2019 - 17:30.

#172 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,465 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 17:53

Alice Powell will be interesting to watch. Hasn't raced recently, as far as I know, but if she can pick up from where she left off she could well be competitive. Of the UK competitors (most of them decent drivers) she might well be tops.

#173 balage06

balage06

• 1,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 18:32

Alice Powell will be interesting to watch. Hasn't raced recently, as far as I know, but if she can pick up from where she left off she could well be competitive. Of the UK competitors (most of them decent drivers) she might well be tops.

Jamie Chadwick is also a strong contender I think

#174 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,207 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 18:38

Where is Amna Al Qubaisi?

#175 balage06

balage06

• 1,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 18:42

Chances of Jorda being in automatically, and some kind of guest driver every race to round it up to 30? 

Quite the contrary, there will be a second phase where the final 18 drivers will be selected. :D

#176 messy

messy

• 3,853 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 19:02

Happy for Jamie Chadwick. Always liked Visser too, although in a way I thought she was a little bit.....above this, really.

#177 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 601 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 20:08

She was doing something with the Formula E thing I believe.

Maybe it's better she doesn't participate, some of the drivers they've selected this weekend are definitely worse in an F3 car than Carmen Jorda and we all know her results against men... Her winning the W series would be a PR disaster.

Agreed on the last thing, but according to a little bit of Instagram research she was out karting in Spain with Sainz jr., Merhi, Ordonez and a couple of other drivers.

EDIT (to add another thought): There are a couple of really quick drivers among the last 28, but most of them I have never heard of. I hope they continue to narrow down the field purely on pace from now on, because otherwise I fear the gaps in pace might be a bit bigger than they ostensibly ought to be in a field of identical cars prepared by a single operation. A savvy personality well-suited for media duties is certainly helpful, but ultimately much less important than raw racing talent and ability.

Edited by Silberpfeil, 28 January 2019 - 20:13.

#178 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,161 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 20:09

Quite the contrary, there will be a second phase where the final 18 drivers will be selected. :D

Why not a full grid?

#179 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 20:32

Surely budget-wise 18 is a full-grid

Advertisement

#180 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,465 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 22:27

She'll also have the advantage of current racing experience in essentially the same car. However, I suspect Powell (who raced "proper" F3 cars but in a more minor series) is the feistier racer. In any case we have some decent drivers heading for this series.

It will share the bill with the leftover ex-European F3 series, whatever that'll be called, as well as the DTM. Takes me twenty-five minutes to reach Brands Hatch from home. I wonder...

#181 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,421 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 23:13

Yeah Chadwick or Powell ftw. .... but my pal Natalie Decker is through to the next round.

Mwwuuhh
B2-EDC70-E-6-DEA-404-B-B67-F-BDF28-C9231

#182 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,523 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:16

I thought the point of the W series was to give younger drivers a chance ( or showcase ) and they can then, after the W series continue to progress up the ladder.  Jamie is 20, Vivien is 18 etc. but a couple like Alice, Alexandria W & Stephane K are already in their mid -20's.  

I don't want to sound ageist to a 26 year old but surely in this instance that has to be taken into account when making the final selection.

Edited by RacingGreen, 29 January 2019 - 03:19.

#183 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:19

Well 60 drivers are interested already. Doesn’t sound like nobody to me.

Its free to take part and £500k to win. If I didn't have balls I'd have applied. 

#184 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:30

Seems a little inconclusive that the top 28 drivers for a F3 championship were chosen based on driving a handful of laps in a road going Ford ST and a Porsche on a circuit with snow on it in below freezing conditions... Not impressed. Would have thought simulators would have been a much better/more cost effective way to give them a lot more track time and gauge their performance at this stage... 

#185 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,445 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:54

Its free to take part and £500k to win. If I didn't have balls I'd have applied. 

Perhaps you should have anyway, and see how robust their equality and diversity policy is.

#186 messy

messy

• 3,853 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 13:09

I thought the point of the W series was to give younger drivers a chance ( or showcase ) and they can then, after the W series continue to progress up the ladder.  Jamie is 20, Vivien is 18 etc. but a couple like Alice, Alexandria W & Stephane K are already in their mid -20's.  

I don't want to sound ageist to a 26 year old but surely in this instance that has to be taken into account when making the final selection.

Powell competed and did quite well against strong drivers. She won the BARC series then the following year competed against the likes of Alex Lynn and Oliver Rowland - and occasionally beat them. Her career then kind of ground to a halt. Now she's what, 26? Plenty young enough and a driver (regardless of gender) who deserves a career reboot. If she gets it this way, I'm really happy for her. I think she's a prime candidate for something like this. 

Chadwick too, really. She's more current in that she's just had a decent season in British F3, but this could be the making of her. IF it's done right. 

Both very talented, both thoroughly deserving IMO. Don't know enough about most of the others to judge. Glad Jorda didn't make it though. Separating the proper talents from the Carmen Jordas right away says this selection process does something right.

#187 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,037 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 13:11

Out of the girls competing, Beitske Visser surely should be the strongest?

#188 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,157 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 16:40

Think "enlarged fan base" here.

How many guys are as lucky as me in getting their partners to love racing like I do? Barely any of my friends. Think this might help your girl finally want to be a race fan with you?

Think guys may like a particular driver and watch racing from a new perspective?

Like all new things, there will be pundits. I think this thing could go big. Budgets are out of the picture so real talent can rise. I love it.

#189 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 20:36

Kimiläinen is 29. Maybe the oldest of the bunch?

If the assumption is that women haven't been getting a fair shot at this level, then it's logical to excuse a few years.

It could be hard to get a decent quality field out of a younger bunch anyway.

#190 Beri

Beri

• 1,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:30

Yeah Chadwick or Powell ftw. .... but my pal Natalie Decker is through to the next round.

Mwwuuhh
B2-EDC70-E-6-DEA-404-B-B67-F-BDF28-C9231

I rate Visser also as one of the series best. There are some good drivers out there. Good enough for Formula 2 or 1? I doubt it.

#191 Lights

Lights

• 16,747 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:39

Kimiläinen is 29.

That sounds like a fake Finnish name someone asked me to make up on the spot.

#192 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,554 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:52

Will there be grid boys?

#193 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 18:59

Jorda came up with an excuse: https://www.motorspo...ection/4330857/

#194 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,184 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 19:00

:rotfl:

#195 BRG

BRG

• 17,067 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 19:37

Jorda IS an excuse...

Will there be grid boys?

There should be, but only if the team personnel, race officials, marshals and media are women.  In all seriousness, a series promoting women in motorsport ought to be looking beyond the steering wheel.

However, it is instructive that the panel of judges was three men and a (token) woman.  Couldn't they even find four women?  Or just three, if they wanted aomeone like DC to give it credibilty? 

#196 Lights

Lights

• 16,747 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 22:05

"Could not sort out a suitable agreement regarding sponsorship arrangements"... what? Who's actually sponsoring her for racing? There's no race sponsorship, just sponsorship for being a social media personality.

And then she claims "Motorsport is my passion and my way of life". No it's not. Motorsport.com conveniently adds: Jorda last raced in a series back in 2016.

Running an instagram account with modeling photo's and pictures of her in the gym or wearing racesuits, and of her driving in some fancy cars now and then as if she's some ex-F1 driver. That's her actual way of life.

She's a nuisance to motorsport.

#197 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,421 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 22:16

You’ve a vested interest in this.
I wish her all the best.
Jp

Think "enlarged fan base" here.

How many guys are as lucky as me in getting their partners to love racing like I do? Barely any of my friends. Think this might help your girl finally want to be a race fan with you?

Think guys may like a particular driver and watch racing from a new perspective?

Like all new things, there will be pundits. I think this thing could go big. Budgets are out of the picture so real talent can rise. I love it.

#198 Beri

Beri

• 1,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:23

Albeit Jorda her reasons may be valid, it is just too ironic that she (of all drivers) simply doesn't participate.

#199 taran

taran

• 3,139 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:12

I am not clear on what the ultimate purpose is of the W series.

Is it to find the best female racer and then help her into a regular series such as F3 or F2?

Give all of the chosen candidates some racing experience and young driver training so they can make it in other series?

Or eventually establish a parallel racing ladder ending in a woman’s only F1 championship?

Jorda famously claimed women can’t drive powerful single seaters competitively against men. Which means that women’s series would require cars with less physical demands.

As controversial as that was and Jorda, perhaps the worst female driver of modern times considering her results compared to her teammates, certainly isn’t the best person to make them, it remains a fact that there are very few successful female single-seat racers.

Patrick is the obvious example and despite her overall success, there were many male drivers in similar teams doing better.

In fact, most female racers seem to struggle compared to their male team mates. Statistically, some of these females must be better than their male teammates but how often do we see this in the final championship standings?

So perhaps there is something to what Jorda claimed and women need a separate series and ladder and this F3-style W series is just the first step?

Advertisement

#200 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,037 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:23

Beitske Visser articulated it nicely in a Dutch talkshow:

For every 100 boys starting with karting, maybe 10 progress up the ladder and maybe 1 or 2 actually get a decent seat and out of those 1 or 2 with a decent seat, 1% maybe get's a shot at F1.

Now imagine that for every 100 boys starting with karting, maybe 1 girl starts with karting....

Technically I feel that racing is a specific category where women should be able to compete with man. Just look at Laia Sanz who rode the Dakar and ended up in the top 10. Against 100 competitors. And Dakar is a lot more brutal than F1.

However, in various sports where the physical boundaries do not seem to form a limit (darts, chess etc), women are still a level below men...