* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• Please log in to reply
2055 replies to this topic

#1951 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:32

Garcia was 3, 4, 6, 1, 9, 8. That was a drop off but as already mentioned it's a bit difficult to draw firm conclusion with so few races. A real trend or just a bit of noise?

The cameras may not have caught it but thought Garcia looked a little deflated in the paddock after the race. I don't think a 9th and an 8th was what she expected after the first four rounds either, and she had just missed out on 3rd place in the standings and therfore also a chunk of prize money. So I think that is understandable.

She won a race and did so convincingly - it's just consistency that appeared to be missing. In a longer season she might have been able to bounce back and hopefully she can come back next year and do just that. I have to note that she is also the youngest in the field having just turned 19 and she only had around 35 Spanish Formula 4 races between 2016 and 2017 for post-karting experience. Chadwick had nearly 50 races in F4 cars and nearly 20 in F3 before W Series, for example. Beitske Visser has nearly 100 single seater races under her belt, and Powell even more than that. I think Garcia is a proper talent with great potential, she just needs to get more track/sim time, and that ideally includes racing outside of W Series as well. I hope she finds it.

Edited by Vielleicht, 12 August 2019 - 10:42.

Advertisement

#1952 Lights

Lights

• 16,279 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:53

How would we rank the drivers after season 1, then?

I’d go

1. Alice Powell
2. Jamie Chadwick
3. Emma Kimilainen
4. Beitske Visser
5. Marta Garcia

Garcia, Koyama and Wohlwend were strange - all started the season really well then lost it towards the end.

We've seen some ups and downs throughout the season from most drivers, but my feeling after the last 2 events (3 races, incl the Assen Non-WDC race) is that if this season would have another 6 races, then either Powell or Kimilainen would become the champion. Both showed great racepace lately over everyone else incl. Chadwick and Visser, who seemed the top of the crop in the early races, but at the later races they were simply outpaced by Powell and Kimilainen.

Chadwick started great, probably due to her having the most recent experience in similar cars, and she did well to keep her consistency up to not throw the championship away in this short season, but it was telling that she struggled more and more to end up on the podium. Her racepace was often lacking.

Visser was as consistent as Chadwick and perhaps just as good as her overall, but I believe she had a few more technical gremlins that ultimately made the difference in the championship. And overall qualifying is a weakness for her compared to Chadwick. But like I said, it feels like had the season gone on, she'd be outpaced often by Powell and Kimilainen.

After Garcia's win at the Norisring I had high hopes for her becoming a regular front runner because with her young age and little experience she'd make a great prospect for the future. I thought, if she can beat Visser and Chadwick now and become the quickest girl here, she might be able to actually climb the formula ladder. But then.. no idea what happened after that, she suddenly looked lost and struggled to score points.

#1953 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,896 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:56

I would suggest that to really perform an in-depth analysis of the drivers results, it would be necessary to also analyse which chassis/engineer each driver had for each race.

Even with a one-make formula there can be differences between cars and then if you factor in the abilities of the race engineers, any small variances could help explain why drivers results vary.

#1954 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:15

I would suggest that to really perform an in-depth analysis of the drivers results, it would be necessary to also analyse which chassis/engineer each driver had for each race.

Even with a one-make formula there can be differences between cars and then if you factor in the abilities of the race engineers, any small variances could help explain why drivers results vary.

Yeah, and that's also where they would benefit from having a longer season. Any random variation will have less of an impact.

Also when something like that could affect your results so much, imagine you have to do a whole season in the same slightly-off car, with the same engineering team. Worse still, if that car or engineering team is the only one you can afford. Even worse still, if you can only afford that car/engineering team because they are not the best ones out there. Becuase that is how it really is and many junoir drivers, male and female alike, have failed because of it.

...but that's really an entirely different debate. There was even a thread for it.

#1955 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,377 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:53

That was a good race yesterday. Hard, clean racing, competitive up and down the grid, a battle for both the race and championship. I’d only seem snippets before now so yesterday’s race was the first one I’ve watched live. I was definitely impressed with it.

I was one who was initially sceptical about the idea of a dedicated series for women. I much preferred an effort to support women in the existing motorsport ladder. But the inaugural season seems to have been quite successful. People are following the series, it’s broadcast on a prominent channel (in the UK at least), it’s on the DTM programme where a new audience can be found, and perhaps most importantly young girls are looking up at the competitors.

It’ll be great if Jamie Chadwick could take a step up somewhere after winning the championship. For the series to really succeed, we need the top drivers moving into the higher levels of motorsport.

#1956 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:03

...but that's really an entirely different debate. There was even a thread for it.

Had my head practically bitten-off for that one! 

#1957 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:12

If Hawkey gets invited back, which isn't guaranteed. Was Brands a turning point in her performance or a freak result from 'home soil' advantage?

As a driver with a 100% GT career, she was very impressive for her first single-seater season. A lot of mistakes, but the speed was here :

#WRace1 :

• No FP1
  • 11th FP2
  • 9th in Quali
  • 7th in best lap

#WRace2 :

• 13th FP1
  • 9th FP2
  • 8th in Quali
  • crash

#WRace3 :

• 6th FP1
  • 12th FP2
  • 8th in Quali
  • 13th in best lap

#WRace4 :

• 12th FP1
  • problem in FP2, bad day : Q15, 9th and only points at the end of one of her slowest race (17th best lap time)

#WRace5 :

• 10th FP1
  • 11th FP2
  • 15th in Quali, 13th in best lap, 11th at the end of the race.

#WRace6 :

• 6th FP1
  • 13th FP2
  • 3th in Quali
  • 3th in best lap

As in 2019, in 2020 the battle from 7th to 15th will be very hard, and Hawkey seems to be a good bet ^^

Also, as the 2020 selection is in September, all the 2019 drivers will have a very good and fresh training to outperform the new drivers.

#1958 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:51

As a driver with a 100% GT career, she was very impressive for her first single-seater season. A lot of mistakes, but the speed was here

Case unproven, I think. Hawkey hasn't really impressed in any series, compared with the Powell / Chadwick / Visser crowd. And yes, adapting to a different kind of car takes some time, but not seven races. She's a decent driver but maybe not with the potential of some of the others. She was honest enough to say she'd had have a big advantage at her home circuit, Brands, and so it proved in qualifying, but two mistakes threw that away before she reached Paddock. (Hope Esmee doesn't read this, as we live near each other).

Edited by Sterzo, 12 August 2019 - 12:52.

#1959 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:27

Advertisement

#1960 BRG

BRG

• 16,783 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:30

I’m getting mild goosebumps thinking about Powell and that overtake for the win. If ever there was someone who thought their racing days were done and then giving it all when given a second chance, that was it. Just fantastic really.

It was well executed, certainly, but it was a standard Brands Hatch move that you would see in almost any race series there.  So was Kimilainen's follow-the-leader move at Druids to box Chadwick out.  You will see that performed in almost any race at the Hatch. 

We shouldn't get all goosebumpy just because it was some women that did it.  That is a bit patronising unless you really didn't believe that women can race as well as men.  If it persuaded some rock-apes of that fact, then all well and good, but I had hoped we were a long way further down the line than that.  What needs to be visibly proved is that women racers can do anything that male racers can do, and that is a bit difficult when there are no men racers on the track.

Still, W Series will doubtless soldier on despite my misgivings.  It is a shame that the series tries to pretend that it is breaking new ground and taking female racers where none have gone before which is an outright lie.  At Daytona this year, there was an all-female team which just got with racing without all the PC hoopla.  It included Jon Pollak's favourite lady racer. Neilsen, and mine, Legge.  That is how I want to see women in motorsport - just getting on with it, not being given special treatment or attracting special attention by being made role models or sex symbols or PC activists.  But what do I know, I am just a old Neanderthal.

#1961 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,998 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:53

Name one thing in the W Series that is "PC."

#1962 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:54

It was well executed, certainly, but it was a standard Brands Hatch move that you would see in almost any race series there.  So was Kimilainen's follow-the-leader move at Druids to box Chadwick out.  You will see that performed in almost any race at the Hatch. 

We shouldn't get all goosebumpy just because it was some women that did it.  That is a bit patronising unless you really didn't believe that women can race as well as men.  If it persuaded some rock-apes of that fact, then all well and good, but I had hoped we were a long way further down the line than that.  What needs to be visibly proved is that women racers can do anything that male racers can do, and that is a bit difficult when there are no men racers on the track.

Considering I literally said that it was because she was driving her heart out because she thought her racing days were done, I don't know where you've got that from. It's got nothing to do with being a woman at all - it's about sporting achievement and struggle and how much getting the win meant to her. It's literally just the emotion of sport!

#1963 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,998 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:11

The cameras may not have caught it but thought Garcia looked a little deflated in the paddock after the race. I don't think a 9th and an 8th was what she expected after the first four rounds either, and she had just missed out on 3rd place in the standings and therfore also a chunk of prize money. So I think that is understandable.

She won a race and did so convincingly - it's just consistency that appeared to be missing. In a longer season she might have been able to bounce back and hopefully she can come back next year and do just that. I have to note that she is also the youngest in the field having just turned 19 and she only had around 35 Spanish Formula 4 races between 2016 and 2017 for post-karting experience. Chadwick had nearly 50 races in F4 cars and nearly 20 in F3 before W Series, for example. Beitske Visser has nearly 100 single seater races under her belt, and Powell even more than that. I think Garcia is a proper talent with great potential, she just needs to get more track/sim time, and that ideally includes racing outside of W Series as well. I hope she finds it.

This is a good study of why some are faster than others -- so far.

We, too felt terrible for Hawkey. Crushing, and possibly career-affecting in having a long, long winter to ponder her error. Plus she's a damned-nice girl.

I think people forget how difficult racing is. We tend to compare everyone to the best seen in years, and that is neither fair nor realistic. Single-seaters are *nothing* like she is used to, and let's face it, track time for learning car limits is very short -- as is learning new tracks. It's no surprise her best performance by maybe a good second came at a home track.

Next year will be epic. The Series has things to improve upon, but what they've done in a very short time is nothing short of spectacular.

I sincerely hope Jamie moves on. And I think it's clear Emma would have given her a great run for the championship, as evidenced in the post above regarding points while she was around. To be that good after a decade off may be unprecedented, at least in my memory.

Thank You W Series! You made a lot of drivers who may have otherwise been watching tv very, very happy. I fail to understand why some are too blind to see this as good for them, and for racing -- or maybe I just like happy people.

#1964 messy

messy

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:14

Esmee Hawkey had the pace at the final weekend for a big, big breakthrough and let it slip. I felt really bad for her. She had the raw pace to win. She’d unlocked something in there but it might well count for nothing.

#1965 BRG

BRG

• 16,783 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:20

Name one thing in the W Series that is "PC."

You're not serious, surely?  The entire concept is rooted in political correctness. 

Oh, hang on, you ARE serious.  At which point, it becomes pointless to try to show you why since we simply don't seem to speaking the same language.

I watched the racing and saw some good driving.  I didn't become all emotional just because it was women drivers doing it.  That would be tantamount to admitting that I don't think women are as capable as men on the race track and that is something that I have never thought.  

#1966 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:46

Still, W Series will doubtless soldier on despite my misgivings.  It is a shame that the series tries to pretend that it is breaking new ground and taking female racers where none have gone before which is an outright lie.  At Daytona this year, there was an all-female team which just got with racing without all the PC hoopla.  It included Jon Pollak's favourite lady racer. Neilsen, and mine, Legge.  That is how I want to see women in motorsport - just getting on with it, not being given special treatment or attracting special attention by being made role models or sex symbols or PC activists.  But what do I know, I am just a old Neanderthal.

I don't see how this desire is at fundementally at odds with the aims of W Series. I'm sure it is one shared by organisers and drivers of the series alike. I think most of us would very much like for it to be the norm in racing that we have female drivers at every level of the sport and for it to not be a big deal to make a fuss about - just great drivers going about their business regardless of who they are.

The thing is even the Daytona car of female drivers attracted ample media attention just for being different. In fact any woman in the sport still draws in more attention than they may otherwise get simpy because what they are doing isn't the norm, so we are certianly not at that desired point yet. And we won't be until there are more women racing and making respectable careers out of it so that it's no longer unusual - only then will any hype around women in motorsport truly end.

As for all of the aversion to the current W Series hype (for want of a better analogy) It's like the company executive who wants their new product to be a well recognised brand in the market yet when the marketing team ask what their budget is they respond with "Oh, you haven't got one - we shouldn't need to advertise it, it should just happen"

I watched the racing and saw some good driving.  I didn't become all emotional just because it was women drivers doing it.  That would be tantamount to admitting that I don't think women are as capable as men on the race track and that is something that I have never thought.  

I mean, I sometimes get emotional about all sorts of racing. It's not something I am ashamed of. I've made similar comments about other events I've been emotional about on the forum and I've never been negatively picked up on it until today for saying I felt emotional over Alice Powell taking a win at Brands. So forgive me for being confused!

#1967 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 19,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:50

Where can Chadwick go?

#1968 frosty125

frosty125

• 348 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:56

I was really sceptical about the W series when first announced. I thought we don't need segregation in motorsport, I thought a woman can do anything a man can do. But then I realised that the pathway and showcase for female talent was simply not there.

Now I think the W Series has been a huge success. I think it is a platform that will have inspired many people, I think more will now know of female racers. The quality of the racing was very good as well.

The true success of this series will be measured when we see more women in top flight racing and coming through the traditional pathways and we no longer need w series.

#1969 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,896 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:59

Where can Chadwick go?

I guess that would be dependent on how much budget she can raise - the W Series prize money will help but I doubt it alone would be sufficient to get a good drive in FIA F3 series.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 12 August 2019 - 16:00.

#1970 boomn

boomn

• 316 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:12

Regarding consistency, doesn't this series rotate the drivers between different engineers each weekend?  So the more consistent drivers may also be showing more skill in communicating with a variety of people and/or compensating for setups that didn't get as close to their ideal?

#1971 E1pix

E1pix

• 21,998 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:19

... we simply don't seem to speaking the same language.

You're right, I am pro-opportunity in times and places where they're hard to find.

Twenty women got to race a full season where otherwise more than half had nothing. Most of the driver interviews speak to that.

Regardless, as indicated, you like nothing about the Series. I guess I don't see the point about droning on and on for months about it.

#1972 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,896 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:21

Not only engineers but also cars get swapped.

Have not managed to find out if the engineer always has the same car or not..

The other query I have is whether or not the cars are all returned to a base set-up before the start of practice or can some drivers luck-in to the setup from the fastest cars in the previous round.

It is questions like this that might help explain the vary fortunes of some drivers from race-to-race.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 12 August 2019 - 16:24.

#1973 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:30

I guess that would be dependent on how much budget she can raise - the W Series prize money will help but I doubt it alone would be sufficient to get a good drive in FIA F3 series.

And a good drive is actully the important point. It's been a concern from day one that the leaving drivers, having achieved success on a level playing field with the other W Series competitors, could then look sub-par when re-entering existing ladders if they don't get a competitive drive and it risks killing the momentum dead. It still is a very present concern and, after a positive first season to get it up and running and known about, this is absolutely the W Series' next big challenge. Possibly an even greater one than the first.

For that reason, I don't think it would be an immediate disater to see any of the leading drivers back next season. Disappointing maybe, but I think I'd rather than than being shoved out into the cold with nowhere to go. There has to be things waiting on the other side before then. However, they can't get stuck just doing W Series either, because what they need is track time and experience and you're not going to get an equivalent amount of that as the top guys by just entering W Series. Doing multiple and/or part seasons is quite common practice in junior formula because seat time is so important, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't enter other things alongside doing the W Series. Chadwick did the Nüburgring 24 Hours alongside W Series this year so... yeah.

Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Vielleicht, 12 August 2019 - 16:36.

#1974 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:49

The other query I have is whether or not the cars are all returned to a base set-up before the start of practice or can some drivers luck-in to the setup from the fastest cars in the previous round.

Well, as far as I know, all the data and setups are shared. Furthermore, the setups are very limited in W Series : all divers have to use an "ideal default setup" for each race and only very small changes are allowed.

#1975 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 17:42

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-21-51-19.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-04-00.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-14-47.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-17-53.png

Screenshot-2019-08-11-at-22-14-37.png

Adding to this we have

Screenshot-2019-08-12-at-18-32-10.png

Screenshot-2019-08-12-at-18-37-15.png

Screenshot-2019-08-12-at-18-37-54.png

#1976 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 8,589 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 18:36

The only way the end result would make sense is if the series winner was offered a full time, properly funded seat, in an F3 car on the GP calendar - Then we would know just how good a driver she is.

#1977 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 18:53

The only way the end result would make sense is if the series winner was offered a full time, properly funded seat, in an F3 car on the GP calendar - Then we would know just how good a driver she is.

Well. More accurately, we would know how good a driver she is with the level of preparation she currently has. 

A fully funded seat in F3 on the GP calendar might be a good thing, but any expectation of immediate results or it's game over will not be helpful. Any young driver needs solid experience and strong support to do well there. If she can get those two things, fantastic, why not go for it? However, no one should be forced to do something until they are ready. In my view, Chadwick should focus on building the right experience and resources to launch an F3 assault - if that is where she wants to go - not go there immediately to prove a point to some impatient doubters and skeptics. If that takes a couple more years than fine. 

#1978 messy

messy

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 20:19

Chadwick has been getting a lot of love in the press today, interviewed on BBC Breakfast, prominent on lots of back pages, loads of tweets from well known drivers etc etc - shows how much of a success this series has been and I’m really happy for her. She’s 21, if she gets an FIA F3 drive off the back of this, then I’ll be hoping she does really well.

In the past I think some female drivers (see Tatiana Calderon as a prime example) have been bumped up beyond their level for publicity and a desire to see a female representation in a series like F2. Not being horrible, but Calderon’s not good enough for F2. Susie Wolff wasn’t good enough to be an F1 tester. Neither were Carmen Jordá or Maria De Villota. That kind of tokenism doesn’t help these young girls aspiring to be raving drivers, it doesn’t provide what it’s aiming to. You don’t have to be Einstein to work out that Wolff is only a Williams test driver because of who she’s married to .......(boos, hiss, sorry)

What this series is going, potentially, is giving credible alternatives so teams don’t have to make novelty gestures like hiring a female driver to test their F1 car.....this lot, especially if they move on to good series’, might do it on merit after a few years. That’s surely the hope.

then I think you’ll see a real difference in attitudes, if this series starts that ball rolling then great.

#1979 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 20:32

The winner has already had two full time seasons in British F3. To me the real value of W Series will be if it encourages more females to take part in motor racing. I think the talk (including some of the PR stuff on their website) about any of this field of competitors going on to F1 is a bit irrelevant, as is the appointment of Chadwick as development (sim) driver for Williams.

Oh, and the other value of W Series is the sheer quality of the racing.

The previous weekend was British F3 and nothing like those manoeuvres took place. The British F3 was tense but in the first race I saw no attempted pass and there were few place changes. The second race was better with a real attempt for the lead but a quick chop by the leader stopped that. The battles in W Series were more like FF than F3. The skill levels are undoubtedly higher in British F3, but the exciting minimal-contact overtakes in W Series were far more exciting.

Advertisement

#1980 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 598 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 20:36

Interestingly Emma Kimilainen set the fastest lap in all 3 races she completed a lap in.

#1981 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,844 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 22:00

She’s still my favorite of this lot.
Jp

#1982 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 23:49

Case unproven, I think. Hawkey hasn't really impressed in any series, compared with the Powell / Chadwick / Visser crowd. And yes, adapting to a different kind of car takes some time, but not seven races. She's a decent driver but maybe not with the potential of some of the others. She was honest enough to say she'd had have a big advantage at her home circuit, Brands, and so it proved in qualifying, but two mistakes threw that away before she reached Paddock. (Hope Esmee doesn't read this, as we live near each other).

She appeared to crumple under pressure.  Would a team manager risk her when there are plenty of other drivers at the same level?  Motor racing is hard and drivers are only as good as their last race.

#1983 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 00:35

Regarding consistency, doesn't this series rotate the drivers between different engineers each weekend?  So the more consistent drivers may also be showing more skill in communicating with a variety of people and/or compensating for setups that didn't get as close to their ideal?

Some of the engineers are learning the job too.  One of the women engineers was a trainee at McLaren, so I'm guessing that other teams have used the opportunity to offer staff to the series.

I've not read/heard from all of the drivers after the races, but I'm not aware of any of them complaining that their car was slower or the engineer made a horlicks with setup.  Perhaps W Series have told the drivers to avoid negative interviews.  The races are noticeably testosterone free too.

#1984 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 00:38

Who else spotted William Storey working as a bouncer in both of Ted's videos?

#1985 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:12

The Autocar wrote in 1903: "We must confess to a feeling of doubt as to whether fierce long-distance motor racing is quite the thing for ladies." I suppose it depends how fierce the ladies are.

Edited by Sterzo, 13 August 2019 - 12:13.

#1986 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 8,589 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:27

Some of the engineers are learning the job too.  One of the women engineers was a trainee at McLaren, so I'm guessing that other teams have used the opportunity to offer staff to the series.

I've not read/heard from all of the drivers after the races, but I'm not aware of any of them complaining that their car was slower or the engineer made a horlicks with setup.  Perhaps W Series have told the drivers to avoid negative interviews.  The races are noticeably testosterone free too.

Specially round Paddock, through Druids and whatever Bottom Bend is called nowadays - Oh, did I remind you of the off course excursion by Bisser when passing Chadwick...

#1987 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 99 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:19

From the outside it looks like it has been a successful debut season, but it's August and it's a bloomin' long time until next March. Maintaining the momentum with sponsors and revenues etc is going to be very hard. 

Watching the last ted walks video further up this thread, it's apparent that they have spent a LOT on the first season for hospitality, and presentation. It looks great so all credit to them, but the ongoing expense is huge. 

I haven't seen any major sponsors come into support the series, either at a series level or at a driver level. 

The crushing weight of reality is probably now dawning on the business owners now the adrenalin of the weekend is dying off. 

The only way I could see this surviving is if it had a funded and limited run as part of the European F1 weekends next year. There were a number of commercial people there at the race from FOM, so you never know....

Edited by markeimas27, 13 August 2019 - 15:20.

#1988 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 178 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:50

Seems to me the frontrunners are better prepared for a top team F3 drive than most of the legends on our sport were when tehy got into F3.
The star got there straight from karts or maybe one class in between, and then didn't stick around.

How experienced are F3 boys anyways when they enter a top F3 series?

I really like the car rotation each race. So much fairer. We got to see how these ladies compare.
Perhaps Chadwick had such a great start due to being quick at adjusting to a new car plus recent single seater experience. Would explain others to catch up over the course of the season.

#1989 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 16:04

I haven't seen any major sponsors come into support the series, either at a series level or at a driver level. 

The crushing weight of reality is probably now dawning on the business owners now the adrenalin of the weekend is dying off. 

The only way I could see this surviving is if it had a funded and limited run as part of the European F1 weekends next year. There were a number of commercial people there at the race from FOM, so you never know....

I am incredibly surprised that they haven't had any so far as women's sport is very lucrative right now. So much so that I had assumed that they decided not to worry about it too much out of choice.

So I've looked it up and found this for you all: 
How the W Series is driving progress for women in motorsport

Funding for the series has been raised through equity, with reports estimating a budget of UK£20 million (US$25 million) in year one. A portion of that investment eventually will be offset by central sponsorships - in late March, a racewear deal was signed with Puma Motorsport - but the commercial model is likely to take shape over time alongside the series itself.

“We will be looking for sponsorship in year two,” explains Muir. “We may get sponsors in this year but actually what we’re really concentrating on at the moment is just delivering a very professional series.

“Of course, no one would ever turn money down in business but I think what is most important for us is not to sell sponsorship off cheaply in the first year because no one has an idea of what they’re actually sponsoring.”

Edited by Ben1445, 13 August 2019 - 16:06.

#1990 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,300 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:18

Must admit I wondered at first where the money came from, but when you think about it this is a standard business model. Your investors accept that for the first year (possibly longer) you will make a loss, on the basis there's the potential to grow it into a profitable business later. In this case, having demonstrated a successful season, they are in a strong position to increase sponsorship and television revenues. Let's not be surprised if it disappears onto Sky in the UK, and the Youtube and social media videos disappear too.

#1991 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:38

Let's not be surprised if it disappears onto Sky in the UK, and the Youtube and social media videos disappear too.

Ms Bond Muir has something to say about that one too (link )

“We do have a policy that, wherever possible, we will put W Series in front of the paywall,” she adds. “We don’t want to hide it, and it isn’t because we’re against pay-TV at all. It’s just that we want as many people to see it as possible and by definition going to pay-TV fewer people have access. We’re looking country-by-country. We’re making decisions at the moment, putting contracts together that will maximise viewership as far as possible.”

This seems to common wisdom for a new championship. F1 has been able to make it work behind the pay-wall because it had a decades-old, strong fanbase to begin with. The extra money they got from pay-TV offset any loss in viewership they have incurred (though for how long can it be sustained remains an unanswered question). W Series would have to see a lot of growth and have built a dedicated following to justify going behind a pay-wall in my opinion, and actually I think that they would rather have cased needing to exist before that point even comes into consideration. 

Edited by Ben1445, 13 August 2019 - 17:38.

#1992 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:43

Alice Powell to join Katherine Legge for the Virginia IMSA race

http://www.michaelsh...-racing-at-vir/

Edited by Vielleicht, 13 August 2019 - 17:44.

#1993 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,219 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 18:09

Wow! That's great to see. I'm really pleased for her. 

And... I really can't help it... but considering: 

At Daytona this year, there was an all-female team which just got with racing without all the PC hoopla.  It included Jon Pollak's favourite lady racer. Neilsen, and mine, Legge.  That is how I want to see women in motorsport - just getting on with it, not being given special treatment or attracting special attention by being made role models or sex symbols or PC activists.  But what do I know, I am just a old Neanderthal.

What do you make of this news, BRG, considering that W Series has now helped Alice Powell in being called up for a drive with the very team you mentioned as being a good example of how women should go racing? This kind of thing was part the aim all along - putting names on the map in a way that the traditional model was simply failing to do. 

#1994 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 19:17

Thanks for this. It's a really good article if you want to understand the thinking behind W Series. I reccomend to others.

#1995 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,844 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 00:14

What a result...
Great news.

Welcome to the #ChubbyBees Alice

Go get ‘em !!!
Jp

#1996 MalcolmC

MalcolmC

• 41 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:07

Well done Alice, but I hope this doesn't turn out like all those TV talent shows where the series' runner-ups get the big breaks.  :)

Edited by MalcolmC, 14 August 2019 - 01:08.

#1997 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 381 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:03

Thanks for this. It's a really good article if you want to understand the thinking behind W Series. I reccomend to others.

What was Pippa Mann complaining about, when she's only raced IndyCar 15 times in 5 years? Doesn't her lack of starts prove the need for W Series?

What a sad day for motorsport. Those with funding to help female racers are choosing to segregate them as opposed to supporting them. I am deeply disappointed to see such a historic step backwards take place in my life time.

Pippa Mann

#1998 messy

messy

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:26

I totally get her argument, and actually I thought I had similar views. I didn’t like this concept from the start, I thought it was flawed. Well intentioned, but flawed. And I probably still do, underneath it all. Segregation is not the way to do it. And the proof of whether this works will only come in time. IF the best drivers from each year move on to bigger and better things due to the profile they get from this series, great. I want to see Chadwick in FIA F3, Powell in IMSA, Kimilainen in the DTM.....these women having professional careers and I want there to be more Christina Nielsens and Katherine Legges out there - no gimmicks, just drivers hired on merit having good careers.

But IF that doesn’t happen, all this year's key protagonists return for next season and the W Series starts to become somewhere drivers just race for their careers without progressing, then that’s not going to work. It’s not a strong enough series in its own right, bluntly. It’s a feeder series. Driving in the W Series shouldn’t be what young girls aspire to, they should all aspire to F1 just like boys.

But.....for this year, for what it is, I really feel like this series has done a huge amount of good.

#1999 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,844 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:29

Great post messy
Mirrors my thoughts perfectly.
Jp

Advertisement

#2000 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,459 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:20

I totally get her argument, and actually I thought I had similar views. I didn’t like this concept from the start, I thought it was flawed. Well intentioned, but flawed. And I probably still do, underneath it all. Segregation is not the way to do it. And the proof of whether this works will only come in time. IF the best drivers from each year move on to bigger and better things due to the profile they get from this series, great. I want to see Chadwick in FIA F3, Powell in IMSA, Kimilainen in the DTM.....these women having professional careers and I want there to be more Christina Nielsens and Katherine Legges out there - no gimmicks, just drivers hired on merit having good careers.

But IF that doesn’t happen, all this year's key protagonists return for next season and the W Series starts to become somewhere drivers just race for their careers without progressing, then that’s not going to work. It’s not a strong enough series in its own right, bluntly. It’s a feeder series. Driving in the W Series shouldn’t be what young girls aspire to, they should all aspire to F1 just like boys.

But.....for this year, for what it is, I really feel like this series has done a huge amount of good.

Couldn't have possibly said it better myself. Cheers.