Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Vettel receives 3 grid drop at USA for speeding under red flag.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#1 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:03

https://twitter.com/...386017464565760

Advertisement

#2 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:05

YES!!!

Break the rules and get punished, no common sense required!

#3 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:05

The question these days is not if but how Vettel will mess up...

#4 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:06

Well, Ricciardo got a 3 grid penalty Oz, Ocon in Japan so it's the right decision. 

Another mistake from Vettel which might make it officially game over. The best he'll start will be 4th.

#5 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:08

Vettel has bottled it.

#6 Will

Will

• 3,321 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:09

This season is gaining even more of a Hill 95 vibe for Vettel! Let’s hope the hopelessness of his position can finally release some pressure, he can win an end of season race like Hill did and set the reset button properly as Hill did for 96!

#7 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:10

It was a slam dunk penalty, glad the stewards did their jobs.

#8 rog

rog

• 1,583 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:12

The amount of mistakes from Vettel this season as a title contender is crazy.

#9 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:13

I really really dislike this rule because it makes little sense to me to enforce it on the parts of the track which are out of the danger zone or close to where recovery vehicles could be, but fact of the matter is that the rule exists, everyone knows the consequences, it's easy to stay within the limit and in Vettel's case it wasnt even a close call. I dont know what he was thinking, probably he doesnt care anymore.

#10 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:16

Can't wait for the inevitable Vettel 2014 Vs 2018 thread.

Think 2014 might have been a better performance from him actually.

#11 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:18

Well, Ricciardo got a 3 grid penalty Oz, Ocon in Japan so it's the right decision. 

Another mistake from Vettel which might make it officially game over. The best he'll start will be 4th.

He'll probably start 6th, which means a 40 page long Verstappen v Vettel thread is incoming.

#12 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:19

Leclerc must be licking his lips re next year.

This is worse than 2016 now. Absolutely pathetic.

His head is goneeeeees.

#13 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:25

https://www.autospor...e-wrong--vettel

Stampy-foot time from Vettel.

#14 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,624 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:27

2.gif

#15 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:37

"We had enough laps and it is clear that we were not competitive today," he said. "We are missing quite a big chunk of performance."

Bite back at the team?

#16 MonkeySpin

MonkeySpin

• 397 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:41

What annoys me is if this championship is considered a Hamilton win due to Vettel just making loads of mistakes in the season.

Things like amazing poles/wins in the lesser car (on the whole) or overtaking Vettel like in Monza or Russia never seem to come into consideration (relatively speaking).

#17 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:45

What annoys me is if this championship is considered a Hamilton win due to Vettel just making loads of mistakes in the season.

Things like amazing poles/wins in the lesser car (on the whole) or overtaking Vettel like in Monza or Russia never seem to come into consideration (relatively speaking).

Hamilton and Mercedes relentless precision has hastened Vettel/Ferrari mistakes, this year is a lesson in applying increasing pressure.

#18 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:47

Just watched a video of Vettel's onboard - and it's pretty dammed clear that he took his sweet time to slow adequately once the reds were shown. It wasn't until he caught up with the cars in front of him that he seems to have thought "oh, maybe I should slow down as well".

The penalty was well deserved. 

#19 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:47

Hamilton has run rings around Vettel this year. When was the last time a title with two cars with similar performance was done with 3 races remaining?

Advertisement

#20 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:52

Hamilton and Mercedes relentless precision has hastened Vettel/Ferrari mistakes, this year is a lesson in applying increasing pressure.

The whole season has been near flawless from Lewis. Schumacheresque if you ask me, or perhaps even better. Michael always had the odd off-race even when he was dominant. Hamilton hasn't put a foot wrong thus far. Not the most exciting always, but I enjoy seeing this all time great at work.

#21 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:56

It's another inexplicable error. At this rate it'd be a surprise just to see him have a clean fightback on Sunday.

#22 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:58

What I find hilarious about this year is how Seb is finding all the bad luck he has dodged for the past decade catching up with him in ONE season. Given his luck previously, the race he had a 3-drop penalty would see Lewis’ car blow up in qualifying. This year every time he makes a mistake Lewis wins and maximises the pain.

#23 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 21:59

So it took him almost 30 seconds to finally slow down? 

#24 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,641 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 22:01

What I find hilarious about this year is how Seb is finding all the bad luck he has dodged for the past decade catching up with him in ONE season. Given his luck previously, the race he had a 3-drop penalty would see Lewis’ car blow up in qualifying. This year every time he makes a mistake Lewis wins and maximises the pain.

How is poor driving equal to bad luck?

#25 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 22:02

Ignorant kid, he will never learn.   :rotfl:

Edited by Arundo, 19 October 2018 - 22:05.

#26 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 22:17

Indeed as a Vettel Ferrari fan I find myself no longer caring that it's an F1 race weekend. He messes up or they mess up either way it's been no fun watching F1 majority of this year for me thanks to them.

Edited by Massa_f1, 19 October 2018 - 22:18.

#27 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 22:20

I know my opinion won't agree with all, but Rosberg knew just how hard and how much he had to sacrifice to beat Hamilton, even then he needed a Hamilton engine failure to help boost his chances. This year is showing how reliable in every way you need to be to beat this Merc/HAM combination. 

*edit as Enkei said, Schumacheresque is the highest compliment 

Edited by Ellios, 19 October 2018 - 22:22.

#28 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 22:35

How is poor driving equal to bad luck?

That’s my point, before even when he drove stupidly he usually found a way to land on his feet, like in Brazil 2012 when he drove through the field after a spin to win the championship.
This year in recent races he has hit people twice from the rear and unlike 99.9% of similar collisions, it’s Seb’s Ferrari that spins! He did something just before Singapore 2017 which completely ruined his luck.

#29 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 22:47

Oh, and let’s not forget the time the PURPOSEFULLY RAMMED INTO A COMPETITOR ON THE TRACK and got away with a drive through. Yup, luck has turned.

#30 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:00

Some mistakes are more pedestrian than others, but the race is only on Sunday. I don’t like this premature celebration/funeral vibe.

Vettel’s career surely won’t be defined by 2018 alone, but seasons like these leave a lasting mark over a driver’s reputation.

#31 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 3,925 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:05

Glad all the haters are back in force. Some off you people thrive on kicking someone when he is down..

#32 GTA

GTA

• 2,580 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:05

When Ferrari was good it was bad luck which screwed Seb in China,Baku and Hungary. Then there were stupid incidents in Austria qualifying , France, Italy and Japan. This is another incident in the stupid category. Germany is just the icing on the cake. 

This is not how you win or compete against a potential GOAT at the peak of his form.

The wheels seem to have come off Ferrari. I can't wait to see how they screw up in the rain tomorrow. Seb is making one error after another, Kimi is phoning it in. Strategy team has always been incompetent. As a fan of Scuderia Ferrari it's almost torture to tune in to a race weekend these days given the promise and hope of what the car was and is capable of. 

#33 pdac

pdac

• 17,227 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:09

What are you on about?? What do amazing poles have to do with anything. Qualifying is just about getting a good position to race from. And race wins in a lesser car?? F1 is about building the best car. Sure, the WDC is about drivers, but it's part of F1, which is about cars - that's its USP.

WDC points are won in the race. Make mistakes in the race and you are the poorer driver - simple.

#34 dgduris

dgduris

• 251 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:23

I never thought he was that great to begin with. He won his championships in cars that were leagues ahead of their competition. He never won in a straight fight against a driver with an equivalent car. He lost to Ricciardo, pretty handily too.

#35 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:38

Getting this thread back on topic, the stewards have shown 100% consistency in applying this (new for 2018) rule: 

https://www.motorspo...017736/1397843/

https://www.autospor...redflag-offence

https://www.autospor...ce-grid-penalty

Edited by beachdrifter, 19 October 2018 - 23:39.

#36 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:45

When Ferrari was good it was bad luck which screwed Seb in China,Baku and Hungary. Then there were stupid incidents in Austria qualifying , France, Italy and Japan. This is another incident in the stupid category. Germany is just the icing on the cake.

This is not how you win or compete against a potential GOAT at the peak of his form.

The wheels seem to have come off Ferrari. I can't wait to see how they screw up in the rain tomorrow. Seb is making one error after another, Kimi is phoning it in. Strategy team has always been incompetent. As a fan of Scuderia Ferrari it's almost torture to tune in to a race weekend these days given the promise and hope of what the car was and is capable of.

You should try supporting Manchester United. It’s almost as comical.

#37 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,549 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:50

That’s my point, before even when he drove stupidly he usually found a way to land on his feet, like in Brazil 2012 when he drove through the field after a spin to win the championship.
This year in recent races he has hit people twice from the rear and unlike 99.9% of similar collisions, it’s Seb’s Ferrari that spins! He did something just before Singapore 2017 which completely ruined his luck.

I love it ... pomp pomp wavers tells me F1 is alive on the right track. :cool:

#38 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 23:58

Ominous.

#39 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 1,515 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:04

Rumours whisper it was planned but i wont tell anything more.

Advertisement

#40 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:08

I really really dislike this rule because it makes little sense to me to enforce it on the parts of the track which are out of the danger zone or close to where recovery vehicles could be, but fact of the matter is that the rule exists, everyone knows the consequences, it's easy to stay within the limit and in Vettel's case it wasnt even a close call. I dont know what he was thinking, probably he doesnt care anymore.

It’s a RED flag FFS, he ignored it - and didn’t respect the flag!!

#41 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:10

I know my opinion won't agree with all, but Rosberg knew just how hard and how much he had to sacrifice to beat Hamilton .  .  . 

. . . And, lets not forget, in equal machinery, without a wingman. Rosberg had an iron determination and simply wouldn't stay beaten. Very interesting interview with him talking about giving up cycling to reduce weight from leg muscles . . . and instances where it might have helped him get a pole by a few hundredths . . . 

It always annoys me when people talk about unworthy champions, because you have to get everything right and not make mistakes. Sure, Button started 2009 with the best car, but he made every single race count. By the second half of the season, he had no clear advantage, the kers mob were getting sorted and making up 3 - 5 places at the start. You can never afford to throw points away.

#42 GTA

GTA

• 2,580 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:34

. . . And, lets not forget, in equal machinery, without a wingman. Rosberg had an iron determination and simply wouldn't stay beaten. Very interesting interview with him talking about giving up cycling to reduce weight from leg muscles . . . and instances where it might have helped him get a pole by a few hundredths . . . 

Off topic but Nico although was great and his WDC will be viewed in future with a better light. He did have a few things constant which Seb doesn't have.

1) Best car in the field, off day you get 2nd.

2) He knew he can't win a wheel to wheel fight against Lewis and accepted it. 

3) He had the strategy constant against his teammate. You are ahead you get the undercut. 

4) He knew how to get inside Lewis' head. 

The problem is that Seb has driven better in 2015 and 2017. In fact if he could have driven at that level this year we would be probably ahead of Lewis but it has gone pear shaped. 

Red flag on a wet track, speeding. What the heck were you expecting to achieve ? 

#43 GTA

GTA

• 2,580 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:35

You should try supporting Manchester United. It’s almost as comical.

If you are a cycling fan, I support Nairo Quintana. Pretty much in the same boat there too... 

#44 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 00:45

Glad all the haters are back in force. Some off you people thrive on kicking someone when he is down..

I’m certainly no champion of the ‘Fingerknabe’ but by jingo, it’s hard to ignore the salivating enthusiasm with which his slip up has been pounced upon here.

In the words of McCartney, let it be....

#45 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 1,013 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:08

I’m certainly no champion of the ‘Fingerknabe’ but by jingo, it’s hard to ignore the salivating enthusiasm with which his slip up has been pounced upon here.

In the words of McCartney, let it be....

I think many on here have always believed the four titles were luck based so the way this season has gone has confirmed in a lot of people's eyes that he is an undeserving champion, next year if he bounces back and performs well the opinion will sway again but I digress.

The stewards had no choice but to give him the penalty. IF the title were neck and neck I am not so sure whether they would have done anything but we will never know now. 

#46 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:06

Ferrari should try to see if DR can be wiggled out of his contract...

#47 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:34

Deserved penalty but is not a big deal, I don't think is going to make any difference in the race final result.

#48 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,332 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:35

Just watched a video of Vettel's onboard - and it's pretty dammed clear that he took his sweet time to slow adequately once the reds were shown. It wasn't until he caught up with the cars in front of him that he seems to have thought "oh, maybe I should slow down as well".

The penalty was well deserved. 

This. It was one of the strangest things I've seen from a top driver. If I didn't know better it would almost seem like he's intentionally throwing it away.

#49 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 673 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:38

Ferrari should try to see if DR can be wiggled out of his contract...

There's little doubt in my mind that Vettel is finished at Ferrari - it just might take a year to play out.  The interesting thing is that I can't see where he'd go next.  The big teams all have better options.  I can genuinely see him without a drive in 2020.

#50 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:56

Hamilton has run rings around Vettel this year. When was the last time a title with two cars with similar performance was done with 3 races remaining?

But at least Hill had the excuse of being only in his third season, as opposed to his 12th with 4 WDCs already in his pocket.

Vettel must be done at Ferrari now, surely? It's just a case of when they can get Verstappen now.

Edited by wj_gibson, 20 October 2018 - 03:58.