Photo

RIP David Pearson

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:55

David Pearson, one of the best NASCAR drivers ever and the biggest rival of Richard Petty passed away today: https://racer.com/20...rson-1934-2019/

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 14:10

RIP Silver Fox.  Reading up on the histories I got the impression he was the smartest NASCAR driver, just inveigling his way to the front at the right time all the time.

I remember him at Goodwood about ten years ago; he was astonished (and delighted) as to how many people recognized him.  Very shy despite superstar status. 

#3 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 19:55

I am pleased to have seen him at Darlington in 1979. He had lost his long time Wood brothers ride after the pit stop confusion at the Rebel 500 in April (heard "no, no" as "go, go").
In September he filled in for Dale Earnhart, who was in his rookie year (Earnhart was injured I think and couldn't start the Southern 500) and Pearson won in his car.

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 20:11

Wow, another Legend gone.

He really was, and a cool guy to boot. For me those were the Glory Days of NASCAR, as with so much of our sport, the Petty-Pearson-Yarborough days were great.

RIP, David, thanks for your time here.

Edited by E1pix, 13 November 2018 - 20:17.

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 00:57

Such sad news.

#6 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:38

Wow, another Legend gone.

He really was, and a cool guy to boot. For me those were the Glory Days of NASCAR, as with so much of our sport, the Petty-Pearson-Yarborough days were great.

RIP, David, thanks for your time here.

Pearson was probably the last driver in a major series to have a cigarette lighter in his car and to use it.

#7 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:27

Pearson was probably the last driver in a major series to have a cigarette lighter in his car and to use it.

I seem to recall an anecdote from Richard Petty in a Classic & Sports Car article. When asked who his closest rival was, he said something along these lines : he had been trying all manner of tuning tricks to get ahead of Pearson in the course of one season. Finally on one of the toughest banked ovals he passed him "Then", he said " ah looked in my mirror an' saw Pearson right behind me, sparking up a stogie. Then, I knowed I was in trouble ...."

Nick

#8 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:28

Tom

I have memories of a certain Jo Winkelhock aka 'Smokin' Jo' getting a penalty during the Nürburgring 24 Hours (can't recall which year) for lighting up while in the car during a Red Flag period........

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:43

Major series.   ;)

#10 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:19

Major series.   ;)

NASCAR more important than Nürburgring 24????     

hmm........... that assertion could get you into a 'discussion' with some folks............certainly there are way more fans at the Nordschleife than at Daytona International Speedway, even for the 500, more factory teams, way more cars and I'll wager beer consumption is higher too........The Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenpokal Nürburgring is major in the minds of many sportscar fans even if we can't pronounce it.....

But each to his own...........less likely to get flooded in Florida and the race is not going to be stopped for fog............

#11 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:31

Surely "series" is the operative word here, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure (this year at least) the 24hrs is a standalone event rather than a VLN round; no?

But, agreed, the 24 hours at the 'Ring is huge event for drivers and works-aligned teams.

#12 D28

D28

• 2,025 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 15:41

Hard to imagine with current emphasis on conditioning. Still the NASCAR guys horsed those big stockers around Daytona, Charlotte and Darlington for 500 miles or more, maybe they were in better condition than was apparent.

Fans certainly got their ticket value anytime David and Richard went wheel to wheel.

God's speed David.

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 16:01

Here’s a video clip showing Dick Trickle lighting up during a full-course yellow in the Winston 500 at Talladega. The commentator mentions that David Pearson used to do the same thing:

https://youtu.be/_9fB1IcTD48

#14 red stick

red stick

• 14,124 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 22:00

It was, after all, the Winston Cup . . .

#15 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 22:49

I watched the '76 Daytona 500 on TV, and still remember those closing laps when Pearson and Petty were going hammer and tongs.  Finally they collided, spun off, and Pearson recovered first to take the victory.  That was racing!

R.I.P. David Pearson.

#16 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 23:18

I see that it has been mentioned, but Dick Trickle definitely came later. He didn't regularly compete in the top series in NASCAR until after Pearson had retired.

#17 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:43

Pearson and Petty were interviewed together one time and Petty was asked who the best driver out there was. Petty replied that Pearson would have to be one of the best. When Pearson was asked, he replied, "I'd hate to argue with Richard."

#18 red stick

red stick

• 14,124 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 19:38

Pearson and Petty were interviewed together one time and Petty was asked who the best driver out there was. Petty replied that Pearson would have to be one of the best. When Pearson was asked, he replied, "I'd hate to argue with Richard."

It's worth getting back to the man himself, apart from whether he smoked during races.   ;)

What's impressive about the remembrances is that clearly he was highly respected by his peers and those who covered him.  Being thought the greatest stock car racer ever even though you won about half the races of your nearest rival speaks volumes.  And unlike Petty, you don't hear that Pearson had the strike rate he had in races because he cheated (although I'm sure he Wood Brothers knew where the edges of the rules were) or because he got favorable treatment, but rather that he was a brainy racer, easy on equipment (1976 Daytona 500 win aside), who fully understood that it was leading the last lap that counted, and did whatever he could to get there.  And if his racecraft wasn't enough, he was also a gentleman off the track.  The reverence people have for David Pearson is reminiscent of Jim Clark, and rightly so.