Photo
- - - - -

Who will end up with most championships?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will end up with most World Championships in the highest categories? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

Most championship titles by the end of their careers?

1. Ogier (currently on 6) (7 votes [6.80%])

Percentage of vote: 6.80%

2. Hamilton (currently 5) (9 votes [8.74%])

Percentage of vote: 8.74%

3. Marquez (currently 5) (87 votes [84.47%])

Percentage of vote: 84.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:17

In recent times we have seen some people winning a lot in motorsports. But who will end up winning the most? Who can extend his winning streak the longest?

While all these competitors have also won in junior categories (Ogier - JWRC, Hamilton - GP2, Marquez - Moto2/Moto3), let's compare World championships in the top class for a reasonable comparison.

Ogier has been winning all World Rally Championships since 2013. Now he is sitting on 6 titles. Aged 34, switches to Citroen next year.

Hamilton won F1 WDC in 2008, and ever since 2014 he has been winning all F1 titles bar one (2016). Aged 33, currently on 5 championships, continues in Mercedes.

Marquez has been winning all Moto GP championships since 2013 bar one (2015). Aged 25, currently on 5 titles, continues at Honda.

Give your wild predictions - how many will each end up with by the end of their careers?

Advertisement

#2 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,131 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:24

I think it will be between Maq and Ogier. I think that Lewis will win one or two more, while Ogier and Maq can add three or more. Voted for Maq, but that's bias.

#3 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,050 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:50

Maq is the obvious favourite due to being 8 or 9 years younger than the other two

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:54

I think Marquez is very obvious. He is by far the best rider currently in MotoGP, but you never know if a even better young rider will emerge in the middle term. But he is pretty certain to win a couple more titles. It's also helping that he is still very young.

Ogier is the class of the field as well, but it's not as one-sided as it was, but still, he is the man to beat no matter what and I'm sure he will win more titles.

Hamilton is the class of the field as well, but by a lesser margin than the other two are dominating their field (IMO) and F1 is out of these three series the least reliant on driver performance, so while he could win 2-3 more title he might also not win any title in the next years.

#5 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:01

Yeah, I think Marquez for sure. He's eight years younger than Hamilton and nine years younger than Ogier. If he stays fit and healthy he'll easily win more titles than both.

I don't follow MotoGP as closely as many here, but Marquez's stats are amazingly impressive. He's won five titles in the six years he's been competing. On the face of it he seems a bigger talent than the other two as well.

Edited by Spillage, 19 November 2018 - 12:04.

#6 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 14:39

Marquez. Hamilton won't win past 6 - or maybe this was his last one. Just a feeling..

#7 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 17:18

Marquez is obviously the best bet, there are less politics in MotoGP and it’s a bit less dependent on machinery. However, the injuries are beginning to pile up despite his young age. He can have a bad, career altering fall at any time.

#8 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 17:28

Whither Scott Dixon and Jimmie Johnson?

#9 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,926 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:00

Marquez.

Hamilton will be high and dry due to Merc pulling out of F1 in January (according to my inside sources). Additionally, I'm in what, I suspect, will be a minority that believes Latvala will win more titles than Ogier.

#10 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:09

Marquez.

Hamilton will be high and dry due to Merc pulling out of F1 in January (according to my inside sources). 

Say what?

#11 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,072 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:15

Marquez is obviously the best bet, there are less politics in MotoGP and it’s a bit less dependent on machinery. However, the injuries are beginning to pile up despite his young age. He can have a bad, career altering fall at any time.

I decided not to "like" this, as it's sort of the wrong response, but I agree anyway. Marquez is the man who outdrives his equipment by the biggest margin, but he has been spookily lucky with the lack of injuries. We saw ominous signs this weekend that his shoulder pops out repeatedly; that just might be the beginning of the end. Let's hope not.

#12 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,926 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:28

Say what?

I'm slightly ahead of the news cycle on this one.

#13 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,702 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:47

Came here to say this. MotoGP riders are far more likely to miss races/seasons due to injury, that's basically the only thing that can derail Marc from setting all-time records in the top class. 

#14 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,702 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:51

Whither Scott Dixon and Jimmie Johnson?

Too old. Love Scott, but he will maybe win one more title at best. Indy is too competitive for him to take 2-3 more titles before he retires.

For JJ, he's at 7 titles, but I can see any of the 3 in the OP's post reaching that milestone and then surpassing it, while I don't see JJ taking any more. He's been on a downward, age-related slide the last couple of years. 

#15 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:57

Marquez. Easiest bet.

#16 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 19:06

Ham will get one or two more, possibly three at a push, but there is no telling how well Marquez will do come the end of his career. He is still so young.

#17 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 20:15

I'm slightly ahead of the news cycle on this one.

It wouldn't shock me considering Zetsche is stepping down as CEO in May as well and he's one of the few reasons Merc has stuck around.

Personally I'd put my money on Ogier since Marquez can be usurped like Valentino Rossi.

#18 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 20:39

Marquez, he's just going to keep winning, plus he's only in his mid 20s.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if he wins 10 top class titles. 

#19 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 20:40

I think Marquez is very obvious. He is by far the best rider currently in MotoGP, but you never know if a even better young rider will emerge in the middle term. But he is pretty certain to win a couple more titles. It's also helping that he is still very young.

Ogier is the class of the field as well, but it's not as one-sided as it was, but still, he is the man to beat no matter what and I'm sure he will win more titles.

Hamilton is the class of the field as well, but by a lesser margin than the other two are dominating their field (IMO) and F1 is out of these three series the least reliant on driver performance, so while he could win 2-3 more title he might also not win any title in the next years.

Marquez is safe for a while as it takes several years to feed into MotoGP and to a top team and no one in the juniors is especially that impressive right now imo.

Advertisement

#20 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 20:51

Mikaela Schiffrin, already 7 world titles and she is only 22. Seriously, comparing  world titles across disciplines makes little sense for me. How does one go about comparing the level of competition, or the technical advantage of being with a top team across different types of racing. 

#21 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:57

Too old. Love Scott, but he will maybe win one more title at best. Indy is too competitive for him to take 2-3 more titles before he retires.

For JJ, he's at 7 titles, but I can see any of the 3 in the OP's post reaching that milestone and then surpassing it, while I don't see JJ taking any more. He's been on a downward, age-related slide the last couple of years. 

I Wish Chevy would do what they need to, same for Hendrick.  Except for Chase, they've had a lousy couple years.  To be honest, I was surprised when JJ got his seventh but I think he can win just enough and at the right time, just like 2016.

#22 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 431 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:34

Marques he is just the better with not the best bike of the field. On the other hand his luck would run out eventualy you can not simply be in the top of the crash list and have no injuries from it. That's the only fear I have for him that when he eventually get a worse crash it would be a career ending injurie.

#23 barzini

barzini

• 2,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:11

If Ogier gets a Toyota seat he will win as long as he bothers to drive.

#24 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,063 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:53

Marquez in MotoGP is the only example I can think of in a top tier series where one driver/rider is CLEARLY better than the rest. Hamilton and Ogier are both all time greats, but they have some proper competition, where Marquez is just in a class of his own.

#25 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 13:06

Sebastien Loeb.

#26 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 13:30

Marquez is the obvious answer because of his age and form, but I have some doubts about his health and how long his shoulder can sustain his career.

Hamilton is the best guy in the best team in F1, but Mercedes facers tougher and tougher opposition each season and it seems Ferrari will eventually, maybe even in 2019, get it right and put a stop to their run of wins and titles.

I don't know WRC's landscape well enough to bet, or not, in Ogier.

So I'll go with Marquez

#27 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 14:02

Voted for Marquez due to his age, has many years to go. As for Lewis I'm wondering how long he will be around in F1, I have the feeling as soon as he will loose a few title fights he could call it.

#28 JG

JG

• 569 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 13:12

Marquez easy.

#29 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 13:24

Marquez. He's head and shoulders above the rest in MotoGP and even wins with the third or fourth best bike, he's that good. 

In the WRC, you wouldn't bet against Ogier winning another one but I feel the tide has turned towards Toyota and Tanak, whol will surely start as favourites in 2019. And after that? Ogier is in his mid thirties, he's not going to be around for that many more years. 

Hamilton.....depends on Ferrari who are getting closer and closer, and depends on whether he's actually interested in committing another five years to the sport when he could quite easily retire head high and pursue other things, have the time of his life basically. 

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,243 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 22:03

Scott Dixon.

#31 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:17

WRC hardly the same tour de force  it once was as back during the Group 4 / B days...IMHO of course!