Photo

Conspiracy Theory: 2009 Double Decker Diffuzer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 1,555 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 18:33

Ok, so here it goes. I was reminescing about 2009 season the other day, and thought how three completely random teams Honda, Toyota and Williams figured DDD in the 2008-2009 off season? And I am the person who does not beleive in randomness. So how these 3 seemingly random teams fugured out that trick? It was not a device it was a trick, a clever reading of the rules. Aerodinamyc rules. And how other brilliant aerodinamycists and designers missed it, but three seemingly random teams did not? How is that possible? It was a trick. A moment of someones brightness. Yet that moment appeared at the same time in three seemingly random teams. My assumption is that given Honda and Toyota were arch rivals back then, that there just might have been some xeroxing going on between Honda and Toyota much in the stlye of 2007 Mclaren-Ferrari, but actually it was never discovered. And Williams being Toyota partner probalbly ment that they worked together on some parts of the chassis. And all of a sudden all the randomness dissapears. All this is my assumption and pure speculation. My intention is NOT to false accuse anybody. My intention is plainly to start an interesting conversation. If moderator finds it is unapropriate please delete all of this. But I will repeat. This is just my speculation. I have zero evidence. And I am not accusing anybody.

Edited by BiggestBuddyLazierFan, 19 November 2018 - 18:36.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 19:59

Weren't they all just copying Ross Brawn?

#3 bsc

bsc

• 126 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 20:03

As I understand it, there is no particular conspiracy. Staff at Honda originally devised the idea for inclusion in their 2009. Following, Honda announcing that they were withdrawing from F1, staff naturally started looking for alternative employment. As Honda was withdrawing from the sport (and therefore potentially the team would not be in F1 in 2009 in any guise), normal rules regarding notice periods/gardening leave didn't apply. As a consequence, some staff left to join Williams and Toyota immediately and took the idea with them. Due to the lack of notice/gardening leave, they were in a position to influence the design of the 2009 F1 cars, and therefore the double diffuser was adopted on these cars. As circumstances took their passage, the stillborn 2009 Honda became the Brawn-Mercedes and also utilised the double diffuser.

#4 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,371 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 15:57

Staff at Honda Super Aguri originally devised the idea for inclusion in their 2009.

It was the Aguri people who figured it out and brought it to Honda when their team was shut down and they were (partially) absorbed into Honda. Honda then started developing the concept in earnest before their team too was shut down. Brawn took over most of the Honda people but between those who were let off when he took over and the old Aguri staff Honda didn't initially took on there was more than enough people to go around and 'cross-pollinate' with other teams.

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 21:15

Given that both oxygen and calculus were "discovered" by different people in different countries at almost the same time back in the darker ages (17th or 18th C), when it took a week or two to send a letter between England and Germany, it is not surprising that 3 top brains would come up with the same idea at about the same time.