Robert Kubica as Williams' race driver for 2019

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#1 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:32

rkheaderc1i6p.jpg

Williams Martini Racing is delighted to announce Robert Kubica will complete the team’s driver line-up for 2019, partnering George Russell in the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Robert impressed the team after conducting several tests for Williams in 2017 before taking on the role of Reserve & Development Driver for the team for the 2018 season. During this time Robert has spent extensive time working both trackside and at the factory, also having the opportunity to drive the FW41 during official testing and a number of FP1 practice sessions.

The 2017 tests marked Robert’s return to an F1 car after he sustained severe injuries in a rallying accident in 2011, which temporarily put his career on hold.

Prior to his accident, Robert achieved a total of 12 podiums and went on to claim his maiden F1 pole position and victory in 2008, when he finished a career-best fourth in the Drivers’ Championship. The Formula One race-winner made his F1 debut in 2006 and recorded a podium finish inside his first three races, marking him as one of the sport’s most promising young talents.

Robert has completed a rigorous rehabilitation programme to prepare for the upcoming season, and looks forward to joining his teammate George Russell, who enters his rookie year in Formula One, in 2019.

Speaking about the announcement, Robert Kubica said; “Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me during what was a difficult period of my life over these last few years. It has been a challenging journey to make it back to the Formula One grid, but what seemed almost impossible is now beginning to feel possible, as I am excited to be able to say that I will be on the Formula One grid in 2019.

“For sure, it has been a long road to get to this point, but as that challenge now comes to an end with this announcement, a new challenge begins working with Williams on track. It will not be easy, but with hard work and dedication, both George and myself will work together to try and help the team get in better shape to move further up the grid. This year has been tough, but I have learnt a lot, and I’d like to thank Sir Frank and Claire for this opportunity.

“Being back on the F1 grid next season will be one of the greatest achievements of my life, and I’m sure with hard work and commitment we will be able to help motivate the team to achieve good things together. Thank you again to everyone who has supported me and believed in me. I will finally be back on the grid behind the wheel of an F1 car, and I cannot wait to get back racing.”

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, commented; “I am delighted to announce that Robert will be stepping up to the role of Race Driver to partner George in 2019. All of us at Williams have been immensely impressed at what he has achieved, and it is a great credit to his strength of character and tenacity to return to Formula One.

“During this season his commitment to the team and the work he has put in behind the scenes has been unwavering, and he has become an established and much respected member of the Williams team. He has a level of determination that is remarkable to see; and he truly embodies the Williams fighting spirit. Having the consistency of Robert stepping up into this new role will be an important step for us as we look to fight our way back towards the front of the field. I am also excited to have a mixture of youth and experience to lead us into 2019 and we look forward to seeing what they can achieve on track. I would also like to thank Lance and Sergey for their hard work in what has been a challenging season. We wish them all the best for their future careers.”

Edited by cravenciak, 22 November 2018 - 09:38.

Advertisement

#2 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:38

This entire story is bonkers beyond words :) So happy!

#3 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:39

DsmMRuEWsAAFf3L.jpg

#4 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:39

Aren't this kind of threads banned here? 

I think we need Kubica vs Russel thread to be 'legal' here.

Edited by thuGG, 22 November 2018 - 09:40.

#5 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:41

yeah, *doesn't know where to post*.

I wonder if we could get RK thread, considering the story here. But probably this is a bad idea, we will end up with RK vs Nick Heidfeld argument again.

#6 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:41

I'd say this is big enough story for it's own thread which later can be changed into a RK vs Russel or whatever else fitting.

#7 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:42

yeah, *doesn't know where to post*.

I wonder if we could get RK thread, considering the story here. But probably this is a bad idea, we will end up with RK vs Nick Heidfeld argument again.

I think he RK got a lot of bad luck in 2007. In Fuji, for exampl.... <gun shots sounds, scream, then sudden silence>.

Edited by wingwalker, 22 November 2018 - 09:43.

#8 empe

empe

• 174 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:44

we will end up with RK vs Nick Heidfeld argument again.

*shudders*

#9 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:44

I'd say this is big enough story for it's own thread which later can be changed into a RK vs Russel or whatever else fitting.

That was my intention, the other thread's formula has expired as we know the future. Plus full story on first post is really important when you want to find some actual information instead of tons of posts of happy users :)

#10 smr

smr

• 1,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:45

Absolutely brilliant.

#11 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,633 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:46

Incredible. Vindictive. Go Robert!! This is only the beginning...

#12 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:47

I'm sitting at my work station with a tear rolling down my cheek. Robert Kubica has worked so damned hard for this, and my feeling is that with the year as "development driver" behind him...Williams are confident he's still got it. 

Simply....congratuations Robert on your impending return to the F1 grid, fantastic and exciting move from Williams too. 

#13 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,803 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:55

Incredible.

Fingers crossed Williams can at least produce a decent enough midfield car. 

Best of luck to him! 

#14 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

That was my intention, the other thread's formula has expired as we know the future. Plus full story on first post is really important when you want to find some actual information instead of tons of posts of happy users :)

Oh, I don't thing there is any chance posts like that won't be flooding any RK-related thread in the next hours. As they should be :)

#15 Guest_GoldenEra_*

Guest_GoldenEra_*

"If I did not think I would be 100% I would not be here, my limitations do not limit me as many people think, I can do my best, this year I learned a lot, it will not be easy, it's a big challenge, but I'm ready, I'm not afraid."

https://twitter.com/...536827254325248

#16 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 753 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:59

Im confident Robert will do very good job.

Im also sure Russel will do big things in future.

#17 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:01

Side note: man, RK looks badass in that Abu-Dhabi line up picture.

#18 slothdroid

slothdroid

• 24 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:02

Given Sir Frank's history, there is no team more appropriate for a come back like this. Great stuff!

#19 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:04

What an amazing comeback. I really hope he does well. Congratulations to Robert for his indefatigable spirit and fair play to Williams for giving him a chance :up:

Advertisement

#20 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:15

This is THE time to post this:

link_zfEk9j1BvY2QtVAxsi4SKizK1twEgUcs,w1

https://www.wykop.pl...s,w1200h627.jpg

Edited by MadYarpen, 22 November 2018 - 10:15.

#21 SevenTigers

SevenTigers

• 33 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:16

Superb, superb news. A great pairing.

Let's hope the car is improved from this year!

#22 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:28

I’m happy to see Robert back racing, I’m just sad that it’s happening at a team like Williams.

#23 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:34

I’m happy to see Robert back racing, I’m just sad that it’s happening at a team like Williams.

Why is that, due to where they are on the grid?

I'm hoping for a Sauber style jump for next year, apparently the team understands this year's car's problems so the only way is up!

#24 Jbleroi

Jbleroi

• 1,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:34

Good to see him back on the grid, what a story.. 

#25 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:35

Congratulations Kubica, amazing comeback story and an incredible show of will and determination to never give up.

Also a point on the Kubica fans, you never gave up hope and there were times were I sat behind my screen shaking my head at the idea that you thought he would be back especially after last years saga.

You were right so please enjoy the moment!!  :up:

#26 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,272 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:41

Really glad to see RK back on the grid, if this doesn't make you smile you have a heart of stone. Williams decision to go with two racers instead of two pay drivers is a good decision for the team and the sport. 

#27 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:44

I'm really happy for Robert and wish him all the best for 2019 and beyond!  :up:

(also a huge lol at that Claire video "we pick drivers on talent" uh.. really? 2018 would disagree)

#28 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:57

Any word from Paddy Lowe ?

#29 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 951 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:10

A great story, and I hope it goes well and he proves the doubters (myself included) wrong. It would be nothing short of remarkable if he comes out on top of Russell, regardless of Russell's rookie status. I can't recall the last time a team had such a dramatic upturn in excitement regarding their driver line up, kudos to Williams for that.

Edited by onemoresolo, 22 November 2018 - 11:10.

#30 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:29

Good news for Williams and F1. Finally some dignity for this historic team, their 2018 driver line-up was laughable. Congratz to Robert. :up:

#31 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:33

Why is that, due to where they are on the grid?

I'm hoping for a Sauber style jump for next year, apparently the team understands this year's car's problems so the only way is up!

Due to the (mis)management of the team over the last couple of years.

All of Kubicas detractors will be saying that he was chosen because of the money he brings. Just like Sirotking and Stroll were. And I do believe money was the most important in Kubica getting he seat over Sirotkin.

I loved seeing him in the BMW Sauber and seeing him win the WRC-2 part of Rallye Deuschland 2013 was one of the highlights of that trip.

#32 DaanF1

DaanF1

• 685 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:50

A big end of the deal was probably the sponsormoney. But I don't care! We have Robert back! Amazing story!

#33 Shuffle

Shuffle

• 155 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:57

Bobby K, back in amongst it! Great news!

#34 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:00

Amazing news. I really wish he will come back at a high level next season.

As for Sitrokin, way to burn your bridges. 

#35 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,782 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:12

Fantastic news, Williams the opposite in terms of interestingness to last season. Hope they are repaid and will get some good results and money

#36 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:14

Honestly never thought this would happen, but thrilled it has.

Talk about grit and determination. 

Hopefully William can produce a car which isn't terrible.

Forza Robert! 

#37 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:21

Hopefully William can produce a car which isn't terrible.

Maybe I'm wrong but we have not seen much of Paddy lately, hopefully this is because he had to focus on the next year's car working more in the factory buried in his design.

#38 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:28

Williams have picked two fan's favourites for   2019.   

I hope their car is the new Sauber to give even more column inches.

Russell is the real deal, so Kubica has his work cut out,  Great for George he has a partner who has seen triumph and disaster and can give him advice to a young man starting out/

As an atheist I'd like to wish them both  Non GodSpeed.   :up:

Edited by Andy35, 22 November 2018 - 12:30.

#39 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:32

Surely the whole team will feel so much, much more inspired by this!
The race team in particular, ‘cause in 2019 they wont have to speculate where they would’ve been if they could’ve slashed off six tenths...
They have two real drivers again.

Advertisement

#40 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:37

Maybe I'm wrong but we have not seen much of Paddy lately, hopefully this is because he had to focus on the next year's car working more in the factory buried in his design.

I think the reason we don't see him that often is because Claire pushed him aside finally.
What good is Lowe? I remember Claire's excitement about FW41 as a first car truly built by Lowe. Paddy pushed Sirotkin option last year. He wasn't keen for Kubica this year. Also Claire in podcast said about some dirty laundry she wouldn't do publicaly. It didn't sound like she was talking tech. Paddy Lowe is nothing he was supposed to be for that team. I think the very next Williams announcement is that he resigns.

#41 Jordan199

Jordan199

• 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:40

I'm so happy Robert is back. About bloody time!  :clap:

I  just hope WIlliams come up with the goods to be able to fight the midfield, especially with such an inspiring driver pair.

#42 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:46

Good news for Williams and F1. Finally some dignity for this historic team, their 2018 driver line-up was laughable. Congratz to Robert. :up:

They've gone from having easily the worst driver line up on the grid, to one of the most exciting and promising. 

#43 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,049 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:50

Wow! Never thought I would wake up to see this, crazy!!!!! But Goooood!

Williams have changed from the driver lineup I probably least interested in, to my second team, in one silly season

Onwards and upwards hopefully!

#44 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:51

Good move by Williams.

If he performs well, it'll be a great story and Williams will rightly be praised for their role in facilitating his return.

If he doesn't, at least Williams gets a couple months of positive attention out of it. After some questionable hiring choices in the last few years, they needed this.

#45 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 13:34

I hope both Williams drivers do well n3xt year. I'm not expecting much, but I hope they re earn respect Williams

#46 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,368 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 13:37

Great news and I'm happy to see Kubica back in F1. Can't wait to see what he can do. 👌🏻

Edited by Mc_Silver, 22 November 2018 - 13:37.

#47 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 13:45

Andreas Seidl to join Williams as Kubica's race engineer!!!! THIS IS HUGE!

#48 cromofo

cromofo

• 314 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 13:47

Still feels unreal to read that title.

Wrap Robert up in a bubble wrap every time he's out of the car!!! Can't have him slipping on ice and breaking his leg, again...  :rotfl:

Can't wait till Australia. Can't wait to fulfill my wish of seeing him race in person. Hungaroring, here I come!

#49 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 13:48

I was just about to post that rumour. Huge news :D
But Seidl's cv would be enough to become a team principal, don't you think?

#50 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 13:51

Andreas Seidl to join Williams as Kubica's race engineer!!!! THIS IS HUGE!

Didn't see that one coming, had expected him to land a higher ranked position somewhere but for Robert to have someone like Andreas to race-engineer his car is the icing on the cake!  :up: