* * * * - 16 votes

What is 'Rich Energy'?

• Please log in to reply
7740 replies to this topic

#3651 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:07

If that Rich statement about termination wasn't true then why is the tweet still up? 

Such amateurs. 

https://twitter.com/...994221686370304

Edited by Brazzers, 12 July 2019 - 10:08.

Advertisement

#3652 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:12

If that Rich statement about termination wasn't true then why is the tweet still up? 

Such amateurs. 

Because we seem to have a situation where there is a difference between what Storey is saying and the other shareholders are saying, yet Storey seems to be the only person with access to the twitter account.

#3653 GPGT

GPGT

• 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:13

Can you give a previous example of this that actually worked ?  Joey Essex doesn't count.

its called a pre-launch campaign, which is an oft-used strategy when launching FMCG

but so we are clear, i did not say thats what they were doing. i said that IF thats what they were doing then its not necessarily a bad one. read my post thoroughly and you'll see i'm simply bouncing ideas around as to what the logic could be. But i should know better than to post on discussion forums, so this is my last.

#3654 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:15

I guess you could say that some of these "accidentally" released sex tapes and stuff are intentional bad PR that works to raise the profile of an otherwise nobody... 

And in marketing terms, doing something the opposite of expected convention is known as "disruption" and this often receives widespread criticism whilst ultimately proving successful for brands, Uber for example ... but I wouldn't go as far as saying there is ever a successful tactic to be intentionally infamous to the point of reputational damaging controversy. I don't think Uber intended to have certain accusations levelled against them...! 

That's 'hype' and has been part of entertainment for decades, usually to sell a personality, film or band who are desperate for fame.  It fails too, famously with Brinsley Schwarz and more recently Katie Hopkins.  I'm expecting to learn of a famous product that became profitable through deliberate feckwittery.

#3655 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:17

its called a pre-launch campaign, which is an oft-used strategy when launching FMCG

but so we are clear, i did not say thats what they were doing. i said that IF thats what they were doing then its not necessarily a bad one. read my post thoroughly and you'll see i'm simply bouncing ideas around as to what the logic could be. But i should know better than to post on discussion forums, so this is my last.

Ah, I see.  Hello and goodbye William.

#3656 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:31

Such amateurs. 

Clearly to have control of a company these days you merely need to be the only one with the password to the official twitter account.  :rotfl:

#3657 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:39

Loki, I wouldn't bother with Maxioos, he/she  obviously has become overly interested in this matter (evidenced by the huge  number of posts on this topic) and has also, obviously, a  large distaste for William Storey. This means that what  they  write is biased and ignores reality.

An example of this would be the claim that William Storey would be soon be enjoying jail time, even though the current legal proceeding are between companies over a logo and will have a financial solution rather than jail time for anyone. The appeal process is still not finished yet!  ...  People going out and smelling the fresh air is an expression that springs to mind.

Have a nice GB GP weekend loki......

Stop putting words in my mouth i never said. I always talk in options and possibilities. Never with certainties.

[jcbc3: snip]

#3658 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:41

That's 'hype' and has been part of entertainment for decades, usually to sell a personality, film or band who are desperate for fame.  It fails too, famously with Brinsley Schwarz and more recently Katie Hopkins.  I'm expecting to learn of a famous product that became profitable through deliberate feckwittery.

Well, as suggested, I agree with you that there probably isn't one. 

Just thinking out loud there are some products that are so shiiiiit they're loved, looking at you Jenson Interceptor, but I don't think you could ever say it was intentional! 

#3659 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:42

Stop putting words in my mouth i never said. I always talk in options and possibilities. Never with certainties.

To whom do I send the cleaning bill for the coffee that is now on my desk?!

Advertisement

#3660 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:45

To whom do I send the cleaning bill for the coffee that is now on my desk?!

Those claims like they say, i always do as option, look it up.

I would be interested where you find posting i claim these things with certainty, because i can't believe they are there. I often make long postings because i put, "but, or, what if, etc." in  further considerations.

#3661 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:48

I'm expecting to learn of a famous product that became profitable through deliberate feckwittery.

Not quite the same thing, but Coca-Cola slipped behind Pepsi in cola sales, hence the launch of New Coke.  Which was an utter flop.  But such was the rejoicing at the bringing back of the classic recipe that Coca-Cola took the top spot back again.

#3662 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:52

What a mess. 

I guess Haas can still bankroll his own team for a while yet but having a decent sponsor would aid in going forward longer term. 

Storey seems to have "gone rogue" somewhat, which is rather entertaining but also rather sad to see. At this point it is coming close to mocking the afflicted. 

#3663 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:53

Not quite the same thing, but Coca-Cola slipped behind Pepsi in cola sales, hence the launch of New Coke.  Which was an utter flop.  But such was the rejoicing at the bringing back of the classic recipe that Coca-Cola took the top spot back again.

Enter stage right a clean shaven William with a snazzy new can of Richmond Energy Juice..! 

#3664 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,964 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:56

Well, i think it kind of does. You (the judge/court) have to be sure the one representing the company has the legal power to do so. You only can know if you know the owner and power structure of a company seems to me.

Yes, the court needs to believe that the person representing the company is entitled to do so, but that is not usually in question. If Vodafone are being sued, the court does not require their barrister to demonstrate that he/she has shareholder authorisation to represent the company.  ;)

It would normally be the responsibility of the director(s)/officers(s) of the company to carry out the court's instructions. Unless the shareholders did something that prevented the director from obeying the instructions (or otherwise did something that was illegal), the court would not care who owns the company - the judgment is against the company as a "legal person" in its own right.

ATB/Whyte filed its claim against Rich Energy Limited because it was the user of and direct beneficiary of the plagiarised logo, and against Storey and Staxoweb because they were the parties that did the plagiarisation. It would not matter whether Rich Energy Limited was owned by Vladimir Putin or by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

#3665 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,964 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:15

The irony there was that, prior to launch, Coca-Cola had conducted numerous blind taste tests and the great majority of tasters preferred New Coke to "old Coke". Otherwise Coca-Cola would never had made the change. What the company failed to appreciate was that millions of people thought of "old Coke" as an institution in its own right and objected to the change in principle, regardless of the improvement in taste.

In discussing the saga after the fact, the Coca-Cola CEO recalled one letter of protest he had received from an outraged granny. He wanted a better understanding of why an elderly lady would be so upset, so he phoned her. She told him that she didn't like the idea of their messing around with the taste of "my Coke". He asked her how often she drank Coke. She replied, "Well, I haven't had one for about fifty years, but still it's my Coke!"

To a lesser extent, I think the same would apply to Diet Coke, which to almost everyone tasted horrible but people became inured to it and millions still buy it notwithstanding the availability of Coke Zero. I suspect that something similar would happen if Red Bull were to change the taste of its main product.

Of course Rich Energy does not have this problem, because almost no one has ever tasted it in the first place.

Edited by New Britain, 12 July 2019 - 11:15.

#3666 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:36

The further irony being Coke have honed the flavour over the years and changed ingredients without making a song and dance about it.  E.g. swapping out sugar for corn syrup.  Notable during Passover when they put the sugar back for kosher Coke.  The difference is palpable.  Best cola I've ever had was the Cuban tuKola, which uses real cane sugar. 

#3667 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:50

Any news on this?

"The defendants have to pay ATB's costs of £35,416 by July 13, while damages for copyright infringement will be assessed at a later hearing that will consider 'profits accruing to the defendants of their infringement of the claimant's copyright'."
https://uk.sports.ya...-093505679.html

#3668 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:26

Any news on this?"The defendants have to pay ATB's costs of £35,416 by July 13, while damages for copyright infringement will be assessed at a later hearing that will consider 'profits accruing to the defendants of their infringement of the claimant's copyright'."https://uk.sports.ya...-093505679.html

Yesterday midday there was a tweet from a reporter that said there wasn't paid yet and that if not paid at end workday Whyte would start next step.

Edit: see post 3503

Edited by Maxioos, 12 July 2019 - 12:28.

#3669 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:30

And they WILL take the next step.

#3670 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:39

And they WILL take the next step.

Well, seeing how the supposed shareholders suddenly stepped in yesterday I can only assume they have been in contact with Whyte about this and try to sort things out

#3671 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:03

The public is easily duped.  Especially Americans (and I'm one).  Lot of people have made a shi tton of money doing just that.  Bait and switch for fun and profit.

#3672 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:10

Well, seeing how the supposed shareholders suddenly stepped in yesterday I can only assume they have been in contact with Whyte about this and try to sort things out

Why hadn't they previously done anything about it? It's 35K, not exactly the biggest sum of money, surely these other shareholders could get that kind of money together, even from personal funds...

#3673 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:15

1. Build a public profile. 2. Launch your product

I very much "get it", which is why i state "IF the sponsorship/infamy etc is a marketing ploy...". Read the rest of my post and you'll see that we're in agreement

He built the profile, but he's done absolutely nothing about launching the product. Sure there are a few cans here and there. But he does not appear to have gotten mass manufacturing sorted out, he does not appear to have sorted out any retailers to stock the product all he's done is sponsored a bunch of sporting activities, and created some very amateur (and probably illegal) websites which, for someone who claims to be skilled in web development, marketing communications, social media marketing, reputation management, entrepreneurship and marketing strategy, is quite telling.

#3674 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:16

Ah, I see.  Hello and goodbye William.

Sorry but that is a nasty post. From what GPGT has said in their four posts, it is obvious that they are not William Storey, and they are just speculating on a possible and feasible marketing strategy. I think people here should be allowed to speculate and give opinions without others accusing them with no evidence of being WS or a stooge for RE. 

Attention seeking is a perfectly fine marketing strategy and has worked for many a company. Obviously you need a sensible business strategy behind it, which I think RE is lacking, but lots of companies have used Guerrilla tactics to get their name out there. 

#3675 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:17

Why hadn't they previously done anything about it? It's 35K, not exactly the biggest sum of money, surely these other shareholders could get that kind of money together, even from personal funds...

God only knows. I think he just kept telling them everything would be fine and he would take care of it. Probably around the time he lost the court case against Whyte they probably started push him a bit more which came to the events of wednesday where apparently he got the can and then send out the tweet.

#3676 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:21

Clearly to have control of a company these days you merely need to be the only one with the password to the official twitter account.  :rotfl:

You're probably correct. However, I think Storey probably does have control of the company in this case. As several (including myself) have alluded to in these pages, Rich Energy does not appear to have any office in the traditional sense and does not appear to have any other employees apart from Storey. I'd say it is well and truly his company and the money people have got some legal work to do before they can have a chance of gaining control for themselves.

#3677 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:35

It continues

Just tweeted by WS

D_RzRj4U4AAHIg9.jpg

https://twitter.com/...670559296307200

#3678 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:39

Yep. It's a proper dumpster fire now.

#3679 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:43

how the heck did Storey get a hold of it??

Advertisement

#3680 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:49

maybe some of the shareholders are still on his side and leaked it to him?

#3681 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:50

Oh God. At the very least blur out the email addresses. This is going to get very nasty from now on. 

#3682 GPGT

GPGT

• 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:51

Did i just get accused of being William Storey?

errr, yeah, i reckon thats exactly what WS is doing this afternoon, having daft arguments with people on the Autosport Forum

*bangs head against wall*

#3683 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:04

Did i just get accused of being William Storey?

errr, yeah, i reckon thats exactly what WS is doing this afternoon, having daft arguments with people on the Autosport Forum

*bangs head against wall*

It would be one of his more sensible moves.

#3684 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:06

lol

#3685 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,974 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:14

Posts edited.

Please play nice with each other. This thread has been (mostly) enourmously good humoured. Let's keep it that way. Attack the post, not the poster. If disagreeing violently and losing patience; ignore.

#3686 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,964 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:19

Neville Weston, as of the last filing, owned 2 shares or 2% of the equity in Rich Energy Holdings. In light of the tiny holding, I would guess that he was an old pal of Storey's and did some work for him in exchange for the 2% bone. Relative to the "five sterling billionaires" who have been spending some amount of money to keep the raft afloat, he would be on the other side and his interests should be much the same as Buffalo Bill's.

#3687 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:22

Neville Weston, as of the last filing, owned 2 shares or 2% of the equity in Rich Energy Holdings. In light of the tiny holding, I would guess that he was an old pal of Storey's and did some work for him in exchange for the 2% bone. Relative to the "five sterling billionaires" who have been spending some amount of money to keep the raft afloat, he would be on the other side and his interests should be much the same as Buffalo Bill's.

But the letter is addressed to him and suggesting he's trying to take control away from Storey. Then why would he also pass this on to Storey? Unless he is playing both sides.

#3688 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:24

Seems like a surreal story from a parallel world. What a show.

I just hope that unblamable people are not affected from this incredible stor(e)y, like losing their jobs or such.

#3689 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:27

The further irony being Coke have honed the flavour over the years and changed ingredients without making a song and dance about it.  E.g. swapping out sugar for corn syrup.  Notable during Passover when they put the sugar back for kosher Coke.  The difference is palpable.  Best cola I've ever had was the Cuban tuKola, which uses real cane sugar. 

OT but Coca Cola is unsweetened when it is exported around the world. Local bottling plants add their own sugars. 

#3690 John B

John B

• 7,962 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:29

Perfect that the first race activity  after this debacle has the second Red Bull on top in P1 and Grosjean wrecked in pit lane, and behind a Williams....

Edited by John B, 12 July 2019 - 14:31.

#3691 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:33

Oh God. At the very least blur out the email addresses. This is going to get very nasty from now on.

That was my first thought. I’d think that the last thing Storey needs right now is a GDPR breach!

#3692 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:34

Practice is on and I’m too busy watching this slow motion train wreck take place.

This is the main event of F1 this year. Codemasters need to make this a playable scenario.

Edited by Jazza, 12 July 2019 - 14:35.

#3693 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:41

Seems like a surreal story from a parallel world. What a show.
I just hope that unblamable people are not affected from this incredible stor(e)y, like losing their jobs or such.

I'll counter this by saying I second that, but who is employed to lose their job?

There's no product and it's well established Storey is the 'marketing team'.

#3694 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:42

So, Haas are not prepared under any circumstances to deal with Rich Energy whilst William Storey is CEO.

Yesterday WE announced he had terminated the Haas sponsorship due to poor performance.

We can now deduce that was probably in retaliation to Haas position. And WS thought it wise to bring this contradiction and humiliation to light!

I predict that the gown ups with the money will be able to wrestle control away from the Rouge Employee! (Might need to let the company die in court first)...

Edited by Rinehart, 12 July 2019 - 14:44.

#3695 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:45

Weston. Bloody told you!

#3696 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:46

I'll counter this by saying I second that, but who is employed to lose their job?

There's no product and it's well established Storey is the 'marketing team'.

Well, often if someone loses money, jobs are at risk. Must not be at Rich Energy, since as far as I understood, they have no money themselves. But Haas might be affected, as well as some others who gave money to RE.

And btw there is nothing to counter, as I just "hope that..."

#3697 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:52

This is getting to the point where you couldn’t pitch a script for this saga and have it deemed believable.

#3698 vee10

vee10

• 901 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 14:54

It continues

Just tweeted by WS

D_RzRj4U4AAHIg9.jpg

https://twitter.com/...670559296307200

I think I might have redacted some of the details before putting that on twitter. Also what's with all the people copied in?

#3699 pup

pup

• 2,614 posts

So, Haas are not prepared under any circumstances to deal with Rich Energy whilst William Storey is CEO.

It doesn't really say that.  Just that they're willing to deal with whomever is in charge, but need to see some evidence that they actually are.

Advertisement

#3700 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 1,712 posts

Just imagine what Storey is preparing for the race day :smoking: