* * * * - 15 votes

What is 'Rich Energy'?

• Please log in to reply
4304 replies to this topic

#851 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,088 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:14

That would be 10% of your daily energy intake coming from the sugar alone. I don’t think it’s claiming that that much sugar is 10% of your daily recommended sugar consumption.

I would call that being economical with the truth. Someone reading it like that would assume you could in theory drink 10 cans a day and be fine.

Advertisement

#852 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 557 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:18

Z6gaECL.jpg

Since when has 27.8g of sugar been <10% of your daily intake of sugar? Some quick reading says 50g a day should be what you aim for when consuming 2000 calories a day so at best that's 56% of your daily intake.

But this is not your average sugar. It's from "luxury organic sugar cane".

#853 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 3,069 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:34

Fuel flow for the engines: 100kg/h or 27.8g/s
Carbs in the drink: 27.8g

Can't be a concidence, can it? ;)

#854 Peat

Peat

• 4,227 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:44

I was told by a Williams mechanic I knew in the mid 00's that they couldn't leave any fuel in the car overnight because it was so corrosive that it would rot the seals on the fuel lines.

Having tried a Red Bull once, I could imagine the same could be said for that and your guts. 

#855 Owen

Owen

• 12,906 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:45

Wish Autosport would've made it clear in the headline that this was a quote from Storey, now it looks like Autosport are the ones sticking their middle finger up to all the people on here who have/had genuine question marks about Rich Energy while it's actually beardman.

So where are all the cans then?  :confused:

#856 A3

A3

• 28,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:46

Aging in a cellar perhaps? :drunk:

#857 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,464 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:18

Doubting Haas F1 backer Rich Energy is like 'denying moon landing

Addressing scepticism about the company's credibility and comments about the rare sightings of its products, Rich Energy CEO William Storey told Autosport that he welcomed scrutiny and "the detractors are obviously not on the same planet as you and me".

"I think a lot of people have put two and two together and got five," he said.

"I've heard these nonsense rumours, whatever, and it's just completely risible. I just ignore it.

"Ultimately we've just produced 90 million cans.

"As far as I'm concerned anyone who says it doesn't exist it's like saying man never walked on the moon, or Elvis is still alive.

"It's just fantasy."

Well there you have it guys :lol:

https://www.autospor...g-moon-landings

"I ignore it" except he just literally didn't. 

#858 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,170 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:25

Doubting Haas F1 backer Rich Energy is like 'denying moon landing

Addressing scepticism about the company's credibility and comments about the rare sightings of its products, Rich Energy CEO William Storey told Autosport that he welcomed scrutiny and "the detractors are obviously not on the same planet as you and me".

"I think a lot of people have put two and two together and got five," he said.

"I've heard these nonsense rumours, whatever, and it's just completely risible. I just ignore it.

"Ultimately we've just produced 90 million cans.

"As far as I'm concerned anyone who says it doesn't exist it's like saying man never walked on the moon, or Elvis is still alive.

"It's just fantasy."

Well there you have it guys :lol:

https://www.autospor...g-moon-landings

IT'S WAR THEN.

#859 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,044 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:25

Car launched displaying Rich Energy.. First check must have cleared, there were some funds to spend nay-sayers disregarding and all. 

:cool:

Advertisement

#860 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:29

Aging in a cellar perhaps? :drunk:

Like a fine wine

#861 phrank

phrank

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:32

Car launched displaying Rich Energy.. First check must have cleared, there were some funds to spend nay-sayers disregarding and all. 

Maybe some funds are available, but are they coming from drinks sales, the actual business they claim to be in?

#862 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:38

Pecunia non olet

#863 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,170 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 13:41

It seems RE also have groupies now, like the Red Bull girls.

Haas may well have received money, few people deny it. But there are 10000 other question marks about the beardman's wacky brand.

Edited by Alburaq, 07 February 2019 - 13:42.

#864 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,464 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:28

A modern drinks canning line should easily make 60,000 cans/hour, so calculated conservatively 90 million units is 7 months production.
If only on one single line, and calculated on a 40-hour week.

Not so impressive; and almost certainly done as a “private label”, meaning production capacity is rented from generic drinks producer in Austria.

Red Bull, by way of comparison, sold 6.8 billion cans in 2018 (according to their website). Meaning approx 76 times RE’s stated volume.

Not only that but Red Bull are an established brand meeting their demand with supply.

Are 90 million cans of Rich Energy required currently...? I suspect not... 

#865 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,044 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:32

Maybe some funds are available, but are they coming from drinks sales, the actual business they claim to be in?

Does that matter to Haas?

#866 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,044 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:32

It seems RE also have groupies now, like the Red Bull girls.

Haas may well have received money, few people deny it. But there are 10000 other question marks about the beardman's wacky brand.

Does that matter to Haas as long as they are being paid?

#867 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 557 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:37

It might, depends on where the money comes from.

#868 jammerjamming

jammerjamming

• 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:39

Being more of an upstart (or a drinks company trying to get their name out there), it seems as though they emphasize everything but their drink. The front page is all F1 and about racing. Then you scroll down and it makes a reference to the drink itself.

Second, go to the store. The drink is yet again a footnote. Its the last thing to be listed after apparel. Plus, look at the price of a can of the swill. Its less than $1 a can. Its cheaper than a can of pepsi, yet they say they are a premium luxury brand???? Something smells super fishy on all of that alone. 

#869 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:48

being sold tray at a time on Amazon................you want to keep it exclusive !!!

#870 jammerjamming

jammerjamming

• 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:58

also....

https://members.grow...rink-lincoln-51

#871 RSRally

RSRally

• 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:07

Will be interesting to hear any reporting from the launch about whether RE had any 'people' there or whether it was just man with beard. You'd expect a major launch like this to be teeming with PR types.

#872 phrank

phrank

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:10

Maybe not so much when you are on the top of the pyramid, but eventually it will collapse

#873 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,973 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:30

“Ultimately we’ve just produced 90million cans.”

giphy.gif

#874 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,088 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:47

giphy.gif

He didn't say there was any liquid in the cans   ;) or they were on sale anywhere.

"So from a certain point of view he's telling the truth"

#875 loki

loki

• 5,647 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:54

A dress code for an event hosted by a bloke who looks like he rumages in bins for his dinner.

Yeah but Gene can clean up pretty good if he sets his mind to it.  

Or did you mean Storey?...

#876 loki

loki

• 5,647 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 17:04

At least the bloke is somewhat entertaining.

Rich Energy CEO William Storey told Autosport that he welcomed scrutiny and "the detractors are obviously not on the same planet as you and me".

Indeed.  We're on planet earth.  I'd be curious as to what planet he thinks he's on.  He claims 90 million cans sold so far.  Red Bull sells 6.7 billion cans per year.  Coca Cola sells 1.9 billion drinks per day.  Indirectly he's really proving our point.  It's not got any sort of market penetration and relatively no one knows what it is.  But the question remains.  Where the hell is the money coming from?  The livery isn't as bad as I thought it might be.

#877 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 17:19

Well, apart from Rich Energy only having a quid in their bank, a company about to sue them over logo infringement, their website and social media being crap, Mr Storrey seems to have fooled a successful multi billionaire businessman and team owner to allow sponsorship on two cars which cost hundreds of millions of dollars to run.

Either Storrey is the best conman on earth, or the most of this thread is ill warranted speculation.

#878 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,170 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 17:21

What a bunch of clowns (it's good to have ambitious but their speech is pretentious and laughable) 

They go great together, the American Haas car built bey Ferrari and Dallara in Italy, sponsored by a pretend luxury and British drink made in Austria, using a so called original logo made by a bike company... 

https://www.motorspo...bition/4334192/

#879 RSRally

RSRally

• 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 19:15

Well, apart from Rich Energy only having a quid in their bank, a company about to sue them over logo infringement, their website and social media being crap, Mr Storrey seems to have fooled a successful multi billionaire businessman and team owner to allow sponsorship on two cars which cost hundreds of millions of dollars to run.

Either Storrey is the best conman on earth, or the most of this thread is ill warranted speculation.

Perhaps we’re looking at this back to front and Storey is actually a very wealthy man and Rich Energy is actually like a plaything to spend his (and his investors) money on and attempt to build a brand, rather than having a business which is already viable and capable of supporting an F1 sponsorship.

I’m willing to believe he is worth a few bob. I mean; he doesn’t have a proper job, he does seem to live an expensive lifestyle, Rich Energy already have a number of much smaller sponsorship agreements on the go and of course Haas wouldn’t have registered their name as title sponsor or launched their livery without seeing a substantial amount of cash.

Questions are how much cash there is and how long before it runs out, and whether he’ll make a serious attempt to bring RE to the mass market and actually make it and the Haas deal stand up on their own two feet.

He’s certainly a man of mystery, seemingly having no history before launching RE a few years ago. A fascinating book could probably be written one day on how he pulled all this off!

Advertisement

#880 BRG

BRG

• 16,709 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 19:45

A very wealthy man who lives in a small flat on the outskirts of Putney?  Is that an expensive lifestyle?  If he is privately wealthy, he soon won't be* if he gives great wadges of cash to racing teams to promote a company and a product that barely exists and seems to have little potential to grow..

It all remains rather peculiar.

* Cue comment about how to become a millionaire in F1 - start as a billionaire

#881 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,328 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:48

Wish Autosport would've made it clear in the headline that this was a quote from Storey, now it looks like Autosport are the ones sticking their middle finger up to all the people on here who have/had genuine question marks about Rich Energy while it's actually beardman.

Well they did put the Moon Landings part in quote marks.

Anyway this thread wins the unofficial Best Offseason Topic trophy for 2019.

#882 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,777 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:49

Z6gaECL.jpg

Since when has 27.8g of sugar been <10% of your daily intake of sugar? Some quick reading says 50g a day should be what you aim for when consuming 2000 calories a day so at best that's 56% of your daily intake.

That’s less than ten percent of your total carbohydrate intake, not sugar intake.

#883 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:05

At least the bloke is somewhat entertaining.

Indeed.  We're on planet earth.  I'd be curious as to what planet he thinks he's on.  He claims 90 million cans sold so far.  Red Bull sells 6.7 billion cans per year.  Coca Cola sells 1.9 billion drinks per day.  Indirectly he's really proving our point.  It's not got any sort of market penetration and relatively no one knows what it is.  But the question remains.  Where the hell is the money coming from?  The livery isn't as bad as I thought it might be.

If he was selling 90 million cans a year I would be very impressed. I doubt that that many energy drinks out there are selling much more than that amount. Remember how much Red Bull spend on marketing, and how long they have been in business. 

#884 danmills

danmills

• 1,145 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:18

Plot twist... Diet Rich Energy. Dietrich Energy.

The secret backer is 'Dietrich'.

The ugly little sibling of Red Bull dressed in a premium vale. He has the money to silence them lol.

Edited by danmills, 07 February 2019 - 21:19.

#885 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:38

A very wealthy man who lives in a small flat on the outskirts of Putney? Is that an expensive lifestyle? If he is privately wealthy, he soon won't be* if he gives great wadges of cash to racing teams to promote a company and a product that barely exists and seems to have little potential to grow..

It all remains rather peculiar.

* Cue comment about how to become a millionaire in F1 - start as a billionaire

That's because his Putney address you quoted is the registered office for Rich Energy Ltd. Any UK limited company official (director / shareholder) can choose to use the registered office address as what is known as a "service address" to be shown on all company associated correspondence as opposed to their actual residential address.

A registered office can be (almost) in the middle of anywhere, from SW19 to the slums of Stevenage. As long as it has a certificate of incorporation at hand, along with all other associated registers available for public inspection at any time, it's not breaking any rules in accordance with the Companies Act.

So the Putney address is about as relevant as the cash in the bank filed and often quoted to much derision in this thread.

And I ain't picked this up from a reverse Google image search or Wikipedia, either...

#886 danmills

danmills

• 1,145 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:47

Out of curiosity does an address have to be static? Ie, what if you lived on a boat, do you use a mooring spot or dock bay as the static location?

#887 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:01

A registered office has to be at a location where anyone, including you or I can arrive at, and ask to freely inspect it's set of registers (documents lodged at Companies House) at any time with reasonable working hours.

Edited by Counterbalance, 07 February 2019 - 22:01.

#888 STIGG

STIGG

• 267 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:32

You can buy a crate of the REAL rich energy drink on Alibaba.

kDFKdVl.jpg?1

#889 loki

loki

• 5,647 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:37

If he was selling 90 million cans a year I would be very impressed. I doubt that that many energy drinks out there are selling much more than that amount. Remember how much Red Bull spend on marketing, and how long they have been in business. 

Over here both Monster and Rockstar sell much more than that as well as Red Bull.  There are some others but the market in the US is basically Red Bull, Monster and Rockstar.  Drinks from Monster now outsell Red Bull in the US but that's spread over a few brands other than Monster.  We'll see if Storey's 90 mil number is real when we see the 2019 filings.  It could be they do have 90 mil cans in the chain and are waiting for the big rollout.  We'll see soon enough but it's not available in the largest single energy drink market in the world.  And even if it were 90 million cans isn't that much in the grand scheme in the US market let alone worldwide.

#890 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,206 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:45

Out of curiosity does an address have to be static? Ie, what if you lived on a boat, do you use a mooring spot or dock bay as the static location?

The registered address is effectively fixed; it's the legal position of the company. If you were suing them (e.g. for loss of body functions after drinking their stuff) your lawyer would send threatening letters to the registered address. For many companies it's the address of their lawyers or accountants. Often it's a more prestigious location that the head office. Except if it's on the borders of Wandsworth and Putney...

#891 pdac

pdac

• 7,791 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:56

Out of interest, has anyone figured out how big a storage facility for 90 million cans would be?

#892 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:59

The registered address is effectively fixed; it's the legal position of the company. If you were suing them (e.g. for loss of body functions after drinking their stuff) your lawyer would send threatening letters to the registered address. For many companies it's the address of their lawyers or accountants. Often it's a more prestigious location that the head office. Except if it's on the borders of Wandsworth and Putney...

True, although you can buy a prestigious address for less than you would think from numerous formation agents to act as your registered office, so the location isn't as important as it used to be.

For example you can buy such facilities with an EC1 postcode for under £30 a year with statutory mail redirection thrown in, too.

#893 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,350 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 23:07

From where?

#894 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 23:14

From where?

Google "registered office address provider". There are many such formation agencies around.

#895 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 23:45

Out of interest, has anyone figured out how big a storage facility for 90 million cans would be?

Depends upon if it's in a bonded warehouse or not, but you're talking serious cash either way.

#896 Rupert

Rupert

• 226 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 23:56

how could this thread reach 18 pages?  :rotfl: 

#897 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 723 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 00:00

Depends if we're talking real cans or just their pictures.

#898 New Britain

New Britain

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 00:33

That's because his Putney address you quoted is the registered office for Rich Energy Ltd. Any UK limited company official (director / shareholder) can choose to use the registered office address as what is known as a "service address" to be shown on all company associated correspondence as opposed to their actual residential address.

A registered office can be (almost) in the middle of anywhere, from SW19 to the slums of Stevenage. As long as it has a certificate of incorporation at hand, along with all other associated registers available for public inspection at any time, it's not breaking any rules in accordance with the Companies Act.

So the Putney address is about as relevant as the cash in the bank filed and often quoted to much derision in this thread.

And I ain't picked this up from a reverse Google image search or Wikipedia, either...

Not irrelevant.

Rich Energy's registered address is literally in a rent-a-desk building. Yet the company claims to produce and sell tens of millions of cans of drinks around the world, and to be able to spend tens of millions of pounds on motor racing.

Can you think of any substantial manufacturing business that effectively has no fixed abode? If you had a solid business, a real business with real responsibilities and real stakeholders, would you want your important documents (tax, regulatory, contracts, invoices, cheques) posted to a low-security hostel comprising multiple unrelated occupants who rent desk space by the week?

There is nothing wrong with starting out in those circumstances, but you would not stay in them if you could afford something better - more private, more comfortable, more secure.

If Gene Haas were in London and wanted to have a meeting with his principal sponsors, where would they hold it - at the local Starbucks?

#899 loki

loki

• 5,647 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:16

Rich Energy's registered address is literally in a rent-a-desk building. 

That's more common than you would think at least in the US.  We used a registered agent service and had over a million in revenue a year, a working inventory of a few million dollars in equipment and a 25,000 sq ft facility with several trucks.  It was rare we gave out the address.  Most of our clients never visited the facility.  The registered service operations provide a service where they do forward and/or hold mail, provide virtual phone and receptionist services.  There are at least a dozen here in Vegas.  Even companies as big as Google use a registered agent service, Commercial Service Corporation.  We know Storey has a small operation (as in it appears to be just him...).  Using outsourced registered agents or virtual office services has no bearing on what's being discussed here.  This address isn't the address of the  business.  It's the address of service.  Under the law those are two different things.

EDIT:  Check out these guys, the gold standard of flex office space.  It's something like that were you would hold meetings, go to work if you needed, etc.  They work with ma and pa businesses all the way to providing space for Fortune 100 companies.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeWork

Edited by loki, 08 February 2019 - 01:19.

Advertisement

#900 HP

HP

• 18,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:53

Nope that's it.  An easy shot at a tired stereotype.  In reality those that are at the event aren't the kind that live in conditions where there is that kind of poverty.  We've got some crushing poverty in the deep south.  Even at the lower end of the scale Cup events are pretty expensive if you aren't middle class.  

Isn't it standard in NASCAR to dent someone else's car? :|