Photo

Sports Car and Lotus Owner Magazine - is there an archive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 21:08

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a Sports Car and Lotus Owner Magazine archive that can be accessed for research? Or if any of the original team can be contacted in person?

Best, Al 

Advertisement

#2 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:18

If anyone does have an archive I'm looking for an article in Sports Car I think in Sept 1963 on Vic Downie's TVR Mk2. 

I think the Lotus Owner in the title was dropped at the end of '62. 

Thank you Rob Pennington

#3 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 19:47

Rob, that issue does have a 2 page feature on Nick Downie's TVR '777 KUR' - message your email and I will scan.

As for the original question, not sure where there's any full collections. Hopefully a Lotus enthusiast might answer this. I have limited issues from late 59.

As for original members (of the editorial team, I guess) as far as I'm aware the likes of Roy Pearl, Patrick Stephens. David Phipps, Alan Brinton & John Blunsden have all passed on. John Sprinzel was a contributor and well into his 80s based in Hawaii.

'AND LOTUS OWNER' was dropped from the tilte in late 1961. I have Aug 61 (Lex Davison Aston on the cover) with it still. By the Dec 61 issue it's gone.

The magazine was of course a sister publication to 'Motor Racing' and as such merged into that title with the Jan 67 issue.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 07 December 2018 - 19:49.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:04

The British Library, the Bodleian and the National Library of Scotland all apparently hold copies, although it looks like the NLS may have the most complete run.

https://copac.jisc.a...and lotus owner

#5 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 13:12

Many thanks for the replies ... and for all the detail. I'm was hoping there may be an archive with additional photos or material that didn't make it into the actual features. I know it's a long shot but if there was a photo archive it would be great resource. Does anyone know if the magazine was bought out at some point? Or folded into another publication? Best, Al  

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 23:18

When I joined Knightsbridge Publications Ltd as office boy and so-called illustrator in December 1963, 'Sports Car' was being re-launched as a kind of motor racing lifestyle monthly.  It died quite quickly - predictably, because although it had some life about it, very few people liked its style.  When I walked out of Knightsbridge - or what remained of it - in mid-1968 I took some of the surviving 'Sportscar' photo prints with me - for safe keeping doncha know - but otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, there was no surviving archive.  I have, however, a run of the proper '...and Lotus Owner' versions and will happily have a look through for anything particularly requested. E-mail is preferable...

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 17 December 2018 - 23:20.

#7 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 20:59

Hi Doug, 

Many thanks for getting back. Your post wants to make me go out and buy a few of the 'lifestyle copies' ... just to see what the change in tone was. I'll PM you with more details and see what you think.

Thanks again ... 

Best, Al 

#8 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 21:31

Hi Doug, 

I've just tried to send an PM but it's not sending for some reason.

Please could you ping me your email address? 

Best, Al

#9 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 20:02

Hi Al, did you see the photo I tagged you in on facebook?

Al (the other one :drunk:  )

#10 AlCox

AlCox

• 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 21:48

Nope! Can't find it ... Al.