- - - - -

2019/2020 Formula E silly-season

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#251 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,316 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 14:44

According to e-racing 365 Vandoorne and de Vries will drive for Mercedes.

Edited by SonGoku, 10 September 2019 - 14:45.

Advertisement

#252 zanquis

zanquis

• 4,306 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:05

According to e-racing 365 Vandoorne and de Vries will drive for Mercedes.

According to Mercedes Vandoorne and de Vries will drive for Mercedes :)

#253 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:51

Kinda nice.

#254 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:54

Many German car companies does this.

Looking it, I can hardly avoid thinking; Is there any way for a new series, a series with open formula for chassis-motor building?

Hard to start new series, tho, now that Porsche, BMW, AUDI, Merc, Nissan had lined up for this series... But therefore also interested in thinking about it.
But the way F1 and LeManPrototype goes, would it be yet again the money wins, and a driver to become a puppet in a computer?

#255 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,369 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:39

Many German car companies does this.

Looking it, I can hardly avoid thinking; Is there any way for a new series, a series with open formula for chassis-motor building?

Hard to start new series, tho, now that Porsche, BMW, AUDI, Merc, Nissan had lined up for this series... But therefore also interested in thinking about it.
But the way F1 and LeManPrototype goes, would it be yet again the money wins, and a driver to become a puppet in a computer?

FE has kept the open development areas to motor/inverter/gearbox/rear suspension/software and kept the chassis-battery spec for that reason. It's all about mitigating a spending war or one team dominating which would easily have killed a new series dead. This way they've had the major manufacturers all come in on relatively level footing (they all took at least one win last season). 

If we are to see complete open development of an electric racing car, I think it will be Formula E (or F1 in a weird future twist of plans - it has the brand strength for it) opening itself up once it considered itself to be stable enough to support it. I don't think a brand new series could do it. 

#256 RSRally

RSRally

• 950 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:36

FE should always be about the powertrain and if they free up development it should be in that area. Chassis/aero development will only add cost and not improve the racing or increase development of electric vehicles.

#257 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,316 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:41

I think domination kills FE, the fact everybody can win is the strong selling point of the series.

Plus FE is very relevant. Merc basically got out DTM and put that money in FE and who can blame them? Even WEC starts a new formula to stay relevant.

#258 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:57

FE should always be about the powertrain and if they free up development it should be in that area. Chassis/aero development will only add cost and not improve the racing or increase development of electric vehicles.

I agree, although it might be interesting as the tracks get bigger if they could have a version of Indycar's aerokits, where different aero parts were produced and teams had the option to mix and match.

Low downforce, high top speed vs high downforce, low top speed definitely does make a good race. For example.

Speaking of Indycar, are suspension components spec or is development allowed in that area as well as powertrains?